Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

juggyE thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Interesting list from asavari.org but some of the songs above dont have a film/album name.
Anol ji, can you or someone else fill in those missing blanks (maybe in a different color to make it easier to identify). After fixing all the incorrectly labelled songs on this site, there are at least 10-15 songs that I still dont recognize in this list and would love to know more about those...

many thanks!Edited by juggyE - 17 years ago
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I am still here. 😃 Got 4 hours more to leave for airport but looks like Barnali and Anol want me to miss my flight.

Barnali has written exactly what I would have if I had ever come around to doing it! How I wish Kishore Bhakta could give his inputs here.

Our minds identify ragas at a sub-conscious level. You are 100% right when you say "In case of a raag, perhaps the process is that of perceiving common rules/guidelines/patterns among renditions of a raag, conceptualizing the observed rules/patterns into some kind of a loose framework, and storing it. And of course, retrieving it when one hears a melody that is essentially following the same framework."

I am sure our Hindi film songs would have helped so many people to get introduced to the world of ragas. These songs condense the raga into a 2-3 minute composition, which to my mind is a fantastic achievement. Many of our music directors are no less than Mozart or Beethoven, they might even be better than them in versatility!

However, there are many pitfalls in using the film song route to identify ragas, as many would have found out. Firstly, the instrument interludes in between often do not follow the main raga of the song. Secondly, the differences between closely similar ragas like Gara and Pilu or Marwa and Puryadhanasri may not be highlighed in film songs. In the short span of 3 minutes, it might not be possible to bring out the uniqueness of a particular raga. Thirdly, the music directors are not obliged to stick to just one raga, so they mix 2 or 3 and confuse lay-listeners like me further! Have a look at the listings in asavari.org. You will find some songs listed under 2 ragas.
ajooni thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
thanks soulsoupji..i enjoy listening to songs based on classical raagas(even though i dont know any)..I will try to find the similarities in the songs under a given raaga...
kabhi_21 thumbnail
Definitely not my cup of tea 😕
soulsoup thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

I am still here. 😃 Got 4 hours more to leave for airport but looks like Barnali and Anol want me to miss my flight.

Barnali has written exactly what I would have if I had ever come around to doing it! How I wish Kishore Bhakta could give his inputs here.

Our minds identify ragas at a sub-conscious level. You are 100% right when you say "In case of a raag, perhaps the process is that of perceiving common rules/guidelines/patterns among renditions of a raag, conceptualizing the observed rules/patterns into some kind of a loose framework, and storing it. And of course, retrieving it when one hears a melody that is essentially following the same framework."

I am sure our Hindi film songs would have helped so many people to get introduced to the world of ragas. These songs condense the raga into a 2-3 minute composition, which to my mind is a fantastic achievement. Many of our music directors are no less than Mozart or Beethoven, they might even be better than them in versatility!

However, there are many pitfalls in using the film song route to identify ragas, as many would have found out. Firstly, the instrument interludes in between often do not follow the main raga of the song. Secondly, the differences between closely similar ragas like Gara and Pilu or Marwa and Puryadhanasri may not be highlighed in film songs. In the short span of 3 minutes, it might not be possible to bring out the uniqueness of a particular raga. Thirdly, the music directors are not obliged to stick to just one raga, so they mix 2 or 3 and confuse lay-listeners like me further! Have a look at the listings in asavari.org. You will find some songs listed under 2 ragas.

👏 Thanku Sahana - even in the list I posted there - same songs are listed under different Raaga 😕😕😕

Originally posted by: ankita31

thanks soulsoupji..i enjoy listening to songs based on classical raagas(even though i dont know any)..I will try to find the similarities in the songs under a given raaga...

Ankita - please call me Anol 😊
I'll try to upload some ragas (instruments or vocal) and related songs too!

soulsoup thumbnail

Originally posted by: kabhi_21

Definitely not my cup of tea 😕

Aree Abhi Bhai - take a sip first - then say dude! 😊
kabhi_21 thumbnail

Originally posted by: soulsoup

Aree Abhi Bhai - take a sip first - then say dude! 😊

Most of the songs u stated, I hv not even heard of.....

The once from Dilse and Criminal in Raga Bhairavi were too good.... but finding similar ragas in both songs is very difficult for me..........😕

punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hi Abhi, the very fact that you liked those songs in Criminal and Dil se shows that you do like raga-based music.

Now let me give you a simple task.

Listen to "bekaspe karam kijiye" in this link http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.1293/

Then go to "darshan do ghanshyam" in this link
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.1457/

Then go back and hear the 1st song again.

Tell me what you found. 😊
kabhi_21 thumbnail
Ok but can do only in the evening 😊
soulsoup thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

Hi Abhi, the very fact that you liked those songs in Criminal and Dil se shows that you do like raga-based music.

Now let me give you a simple task.

Listen to "bekaspe karam kijiye" in this link http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.1293/

Then go to "darshan do ghanshyam" in this link
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.1457/

Then go back and hear the 1st song again.

Tell me what you found. 😊

Cool Sahana 👍🏼

Hey- have a safe flight! 😊