Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
IMO, everything plays a partial role in the success of a movie.

Critics Reviews may change some viewers' opinions, but I dont think they necessarily have a huge impact unless the Critic is someone whose opinion is highly valued.

Box Office success does play a role, but the longetivity at the BO is way more important. That only works if people love the movie for its story, for the characters, etc.

Why are DDLJ and Sholay considered great successes? Because of how long they ran at the BO.

Hence, I would go for earnings at the BO + how long the film remained in theatres.   
teenindia_usa thumbnail
Money says it all remeber a line
"show me the money"
realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Well Movies are made to be seen whether they are fantasy or realistic. Hence Box Office collections are important and this is also indicative of the popular choice.

Every filmmaker big or small wants his/her movie to be SEEN by as many people as possible. The movie is their bread and butter and in case of blockbusters Mercedes and holidays abroad 😆

I go to watch movies based on the promos, theme, star cast and yes feedback from friends/family & may be critics reviews.

That helps in making an informed choice 😆 and saving precious time and headaches 😆

I agree with "J" that critics are prejudiced towards their fav dir/prod or stars! and even their taste might differ from ours 😊
Tashu_US thumbnail
i think mouth publicity ( negatice or positive ) has a greater impact than a review of a movie.. Edited by Tashu_US - 17 years ago
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Though I read reviews when a movie gets released. I mostly go by the box office reports and promos too sometimes.

Critics are the worst, they are never satisfied...always trying to pull someone down, make fun of someone, trying to find faults whereas ignoring +ve points.

For example see the review of Ahista-Ahista (IndiaFM):

http://www.indiafm.com/movies/review/12778/index.html

SPOILERS..............

But the biggest flaw is its climax. If you're a true-blue Bollywood fan who wants the lead pair to unite and lead a life of bliss, you'd be disappointed here. When Shayan explains his point of view, Soha says she's torn between the two men and finds herself at crossroads. So far, so good. But why does Soha return to her first love when she has moved on in life? Does that mean that her feelings for Abhay were phony and superficial? Was she using him or playing with his emotions all through? That makes Soha appear like an opportunist and that is a glaring defect from the writing point of view.

Taran Adarsh doesn't make any sense with what he wrote above.😕 Ab bechaare director ne different ending ki to usse pasand nahin aayi, he wants traditional Bollywood happy ending.😕

*Shona* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
You know I find Taran Adarsh's reviews really really biased! He has written such bad reviews for some movies, which were actually not so bad. This guy claims he has seen like 5000+ movies and so now everyone thinks oh yeah his reviews must be great because he has seen so many movies.

I can sit at home and watch all the movies in the world ... But my review on them will still be my "personal" opinion! It wont get better just because I've seen soo many number of movies!

He wrote Rani's performance in KANK surpassed her performance in Black! Personally, I loved Rani in KANK ... but I still think Black was her strongest performance!

These so-called Movie Critics should really think & analyze before writing up reviews.

Just my opinion ... no offence to anyone please 😊
Virgo_Stars thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Very nice topic aparna di 👏

Me 2 cents:

I personally prefer to trust the box office more than the critic cause as jas di said, the critics are usually biased. Everyone has different tastes and likes.

If the critic is a fan of thriller movies then oviously he would find the romantic movies boring. If he is a fan of comedy movies, he'd hate slow drama movies so i think it is very irrational to form an opinion on a movie based on the review of a person.

From past experience, I found out that Taran Adarsh's reviews are really baised. I mean he gave the movie 'dhoom' a 2 or a 3 which is considered a bad rating but when i watched that movie, i found out that it was one of the greatest movies ever and i found that rating totally unfair but then again this is my opinion and so my point is that no two people can have exactly the same like/view and so judging a movie based on the review on one person is not very wise. Hope i didn't offend anyone with my views 😊

mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
Hmm, good question. In response to the critics having a mixed review of KANK, I would have to say it is ultimately the cast of the film, and the filmmakers that determine a box office success. If you have the top actors and actresses in the business and you pair them together with Yash Raj Films or Karan Johar, you know the film will be good, or at least worth a watch! YRF and KJ have proven time and time again, they can make good films, so why would KANK be any different? That is personally how I feel, when I see my favorite actors and actresses together for one film, with great music and from a big name, I immediately want to see it.
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
KANK is doing fabulously well in India and Abroad so maybe I should watch it. 😊
lucky_lakshmi thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

Why are DDLJ and Sholay considered great successes? Because of how long they ran at the BO. 

i agree...But...I dun think these two are the best films ever...

well...From my point of view..DDLJ is nothing but a petty love story...

Of course..Sholay is a real classic...Worth watch...Its a wonderful film...(f a person hasnt seen this film...what has he seen in bollywood..without seeing the big daddy?😆)...

anyways..Sholay is one film I love/...Butt maybe not the best I have seen...there are some films which are better...But they have not sweeped money at BO like DDLJ or Sholay has....

From my point of view...I still stand on the fact that its the viewer's valuation of the film...which decides on its success...

For me Black is a bigger hit that DDLJ 😉(I just cant take Sholay's name...U know why😳😉)...while we all know...at BO its defenitely was not.😉

So, If the viewer personally feels the movie is good...thats all what matters...Not its collection at BO or Critics review on the film.

Cheers,

Laks