Shahid: The Kapoor Ranbir should worry about

ablazedmelody thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago

Shahid: The Kapoor Ranbir should worry about

Ranbir Kapoor is in an unique position today. You could say he has almost no competition amongst his peers. He is competing with the big boys. The Khans, Akshay Kumar and Hrithik Roshan. However, he should worry about Shahid Kapoor. It may seem like he is not in the race anymore, but he cannot be ruled out. He may not have had a hit in a while, but he has the potential, the talent and the fan-following. He may have made some wrong choices but a few years ago Ranbir was being accused of doing the wrong films as well. Luckily for him, his choices worked but Shahid's didn't. But now Shahid is gearing up to strike again.

Back with a plan
After his father Pankaj Kapur's film Mausam bombed, Shahid went into an introspective mode. He felt he was choosing the wrong kind of films and stopped signing films. He took time off to review and analyse. He emerged and began signing films with a bang. Today the films he has are an interesting blend of commercial masala and newage cinema. He is hungry for hits and he is taking steps to ensure he gets them. He turned down biggies like Karan Johar and Aditya Chopra because he has a plan. It's not banners anymore but scripts that matter now. And he is going all out to make an impact. Whether it is changing his attitude or changing his image.

Shedding baggage
Even though his last film with Priyanka Chopra (Teri Meri Kahani) bombed, he didn't think twice before signing Milan Talkies with her. He is carefully selecting films from all genres. If he is reuniting with the girl from the past, he has also mended bridges with his Kaminey director and will be doing Vishal Bharadwaj's adaptation of Shakespeare's famous tragedy Hamlet. He is also working with directors he has never worked with before — Raj Kumar Santoshi's Phata Poster Nikla Hero, Prabhudheva's Rambo Rajkumar, Tigmanshu Dhulia's Milan Talkies and Bejoy Nambiar's untitled next.

Back with a bang
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh says, "Shahid is the only guy who can give Ranbir competition. He is working with very good directors like Santoshi whose last film Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani (Ranbir Kapoor) was a big hit and Prabhudheva who is riding high with all his films being hits. If Shahid's films work, he will come back with a bang! He is a very talented actor, has a good personality and is an exceptional dancer. Today, he is doing different kinds of films. Mausam may not have worked for whatever reasons but you can't ignore the fact that Shahid knows his job. It's just a matter of one hit and everything will fall into place for him. Eventually your box -office speaks for itself. There's a good buzz about both his films, and it's Santoshi and Prabhudheva, so it looks good."

Playing to the gallery
Box-Office editor Vajir Singh adds, "There has never been a question about Shahid's capacity or pull at the box-office. This time both his films are highly commercial and this type of genre rarely goes wrong. People love the laughing, dancing, action-oriented Shahid Kapoor and this time he's giving them that. It's a safe zone, where people come, enjoy, laugh and go back. So he's playing to the gallery. It's as if he's telling people Shahid Kapoor is back! He's one of the few top actors today who always has a buyer for his films, exhibitors want to show his films and all corporate production houses, producers, directors want to sign him."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheJake thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Oh look! They used my dp pic! 😆

*Goes to read the article*
DianaPrince thumbnail
Shahid kapoor comeback🥳

donthavealife thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
SRK has been replaced by RK for comparisons lately. He must have attained superstardom too. 
TheJake thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Good article.

They are definitely the next generations SRK/Salman.

Shahid's taking his job seriously now and all he needs good couple hits and then let the war begin!

It's normal for one actor to have a successful period, while the other suffers. There have been so many examples and still are.
A Biased article if there ever was one.

Shahid's last legit hit was JWM in 2007, 6 years ago. None of the new actors had even debuted then. What Crowd puller?
Ranbir Kapoor isn't loosing sleep over anyone but if he should be worried about someone its probably Arjun Kapoor. Followed by Ranveer and Imran. Shahid is a notch below with the SOTY guys, Ayushman, ARK.
The guys been in the industry almost 10 years and is still being compared to newcomers, that doesn't give me too much confidence in his abilities. If he couldn't do it until now, he's never going to do it.
His contemporaries are Abhay and Emraan. While Abhay has carved out a nice niche fanclub, Emraan is the new hero of the masses. None of the three will ever be superstars, including Shahid.

abby_girl30 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bossman

A Biased article if there ever was one.

Shahid's last legit hit was JWM in 2007, 6 years ago. None of the new actors had even debuted then. What Crowd puller?
Ranbir Kapoor isn't loosing sleep over anyone but if he should be worried about someone its probably Arjun Kapoor. Followed by Ranveer and Imran. Shahid is a notch below with the SOTY guys, Ayushman, ARK.
The guys been in the industry almost 10 years and is still being compared to newcomers, that doesn't give me too much confidence in his abilities. If he couldn't do it until now, he's never going to do it.
His contemporaries are Abhay and Emraan. While Abhay has carved out a nice niche fanclub, Emraan is the new hero of the masses. None of the three will ever be superstars, including Shahid.

Even though I like Emraan...I agree with you that he'll never be a superstar like Khans. The kind of movies he is known for or the image media portrays of him will be a big dent towards stardom.

Though I am happy that at least him and Abhay are talented. Shahid has no screen presence in my eyes.Edited by abby_girl30 - 10 years ago
BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ablazedmelody

Trade analyst Taran Adarsh says, "Shahid is the only guy who can give Ranbir competition. 

Ranbir is miles ahead of Shahid in terms of selecting good movies and acting. I like Shahid but articles like these put me off 🥱
fire_gun thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
taran aadrash gone nuts who thinks shahid can give competition to ranbir😆
fire_gun thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
when did aadrash and shahid kapoor patched up😆