Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

smrth thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: IdiotViewer

smrth Bhai, not "END" per se... M quite conscious of your view to the END and I support it. END is where I want to see the "adaptation" come into its own. I was more referring to the use and introduction of major characters a la Padma... In the midst of production issues, essence must not be forfeited. I'd like the major high points of story to be still hit, so that the new generation coming to the 'work' is not deprived... I also concur about your thoughts re: author. G.M.T has legendary status and in some ways Saraswatichandra's but his "legend"... So the respect accorded to the author is in some ways transferred/projected to the source too. Oh, in this case I'll assist, for all the insight you've provided regarding 'work', consider yours truly, if ever warranted, an earnest "second chair" πŸ˜³

Edit: In hindsight perhaps, "legacy" was incorrect term to use... πŸ˜Š

@bold,
No, Nandy and you, our leaders and we will provide a dedicated assistance.πŸ˜ƒ
hotdogg thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: IdiotViewer

@Bold Even I thought so, that it was too "cute" for author... But bit my tongue thinking that perhaps a deeper signifier underlies... Thank you for removing doubt πŸ˜Š

"PR" being (if it is name of show)? Sorry I'm an amatuer in Indian telly world πŸ˜³

Friday's epi was sorta playing to the galley... While Wed's epi was pure class... Not to read too much but already a "clash of sensibilities" by the powers-that-be seem underway... What of the "legacy" of source in midst of all? For some I know, veering v much off source would amount to nothing less than desecration... So passionate are a certain generation about this work 

Ivy..
Glad to see you are back.

As usual your post helps significantly to express and cement our understanding of last weeks epis.

Your theory is holding good for now...People are choosing their favorties...

Trust you have had the time to go through this very busy thread...all of us have debated passionately for & against our champion...Great thing has been the quality of the participation and nature of the debate... a must read thread in my opinion..

So glad you are now a part of it.

@Bold: So true. Let me admit..My mom who majored in literature...had a disdain for this show (and SLB...though that's another story altogether. πŸ˜›) ...even though she really despises the sarasawtichandra character in the novel!

So got her to start seeing this show on the premise of her checking out how the adaptation fits in the modern world...and a chance to see a character getting normalized...

And had a pact...she will strictly not reveal anything of the story to me...We don't even discus this at all...Totally off the table...πŸ‘πŸΌ

...her feedback is that more than the story it was the ideation on a whole range of human values which was revolutionary for that time and which was the draw (sort of like Atlas Shrugged...where the ideation is expressed through the story & characters).,,

...so here when the core 'ideation masala' is cut out, the story adapted...AND adapted further...it is no longer saraswatichadra the novel even...just another good story / show...

..NOW when she knows the original and sees the difference (even though it is a good treatment so far)...she feels a sense of desecration... even though she depises saraswatichandra in the novel...Go figure!!..

..So I can recently sense she's starting to go along the path where she's evaluating the trade-off between the 'adaptation' and a desecration through the adaptation...

πŸ˜”

-Ivy- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hgg bhai... Not yet unfortunately, with recuperation then Eid in quick succession, work has been severely neglected. Making up for it now... But I have "bookmarked" for later πŸ˜³ And I did get a sense of the overall gist of CB... Not inclined to add anything to debate, because I will not choose. I'd rather be the SilentReader and get enriched by the passionate intellect on display πŸ˜ƒ

Regarding SC... That is how it was narrated to me too by the venerated Gentleman... That it was a story of universal life-lessons in a microcosm... And what actually mattered to him was not the character or the minute "story" per se, but the lessons and values one could take from it in that "era" and afterwards... I daresay some will be looking for same lessons, indications here, (witness us, attaching significant interpretational values, by virtue!) but even if, could it be too ambitious a venture undertaken by SLB to not do "disservice" to the source while at the same time "adapt" for a current generation of audience? Factoring television too as a medium of, say extreme ends of spectrum, both tedium and endurance πŸ˜• Something (essence) is bound to be "lost in transition"... In day-in, day-out increments.

Edit: I suppose I take his (Gentleman's) lead too in watching... See Saras, Kumud, et al as conduits... And the charm, effectiveness of adaptation lies in the execution... That is a double-edged sword. Sometimes you get brilliant gems and other times, the life-lessons are just as easily lost in depiction. 
Edited by IdiotViewer - 10 years ago
Arshics thumbnail
@Ivy, welcome back. 

@smrth: read up on both of you discussing the name Padma, since name symbolism of this story has fascinated me from day 1, was really interested to see your interpretation. 

Since both Kumud and Padma mean lotus, could it be the authors cheeky way of saying, Pramaad doesn't want this lotus, since he already has that one? You know sort of Kumud's alternative in pramaads life? 

@hgg 

And are pramaad and Saras the two faces of a man? Since the story was about social values, and not really about Saras and Kumud per se? 
KK84 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: arshicritic

Shakti

Nari jeevan jhoole ki tarah 

Iss paar kabhi 

Uss paar kabhi 

Honthon pe madhur muskaan kabhi 

Aankhon main asuwan dhaar kabhi 

Kitne sukh deti hai jag ko 

Maa beti behen patni ban kar 

Hai kitna kathin jeevan iss ka 

Samajha na isse sansaar kabhi 

Naari jeevan jhoole ki tarah

Iss paar kabhi 

Uss paar kabhi 

Movie : Aurat

Singer : Lata Mangeshkar 

Aaj wahan mandir main 

Saras nahi, hum khade the 

Aur Kumud jawab de rahi thi 

Hamare saare sawalon ka 

Hamare har uss ilzaam ka

Jo humne naadani main lagaye uss par 

Some of her answers I agreed to 

Some I didn't 

Some answers I liked 

Some I didn't 

But once again 

I salute Kumudsundari Desai ( for I refuse to call her Dharmadhikari) 

She is a strong, courageous and a brave woman 

Today once again she is ready to fight 

Fight with her fate and mould her destiny

And seeing the look of pride that Saras seemed to have, 

he too bowed down to her courage and strength 

Dharmadhikaris are worshippers of Shakti

And Shakti in the roop of their bahu has come to their house 

I still have goose pimples thinking of that Saras Kumud convo 

I loved loved loved the episode 

Feeling so proud of Kumud today 

But Kumud, Saras can be forgiven because he accepts his mistake 

Has taken responsibility for his actions 

Will undertake any penance to earn your forgiveness 

Yahi faraq hai Pramaad aur Saras main!! 

And Jennifer - that quiet restraint, the controlled emotions, the dignified way of explaining your  POV 

- 10/10 

Episode rating -10/10 for the sheer energy and tightness of that dialogue ! 

So pag phera will happen 

super duper dhinka chika precap  

Dukh bhare din beete re bhaiyya

Ab sukh aayo re 

Rang jeevan main naya layo re!

Brilliant once again Arshi!

And I couldnt agree more with you.

The way Kumud took a stance and the proud eyes of Saras...now there's a team! They are good together nomatter what! Come what may they are both fighters.

Saras has had 'weak' moments but he has always been a fighter deep down but his ways of fighting have been different than Kumud's. Saras has always fought with himself but for the worse and Kumud..well she fights for her pride.

Not much difference between saras and kumud..both had a weak moment and both came back with Vengeance and how!

Sara's weak moment cost his everything yes...but here he is now...stronger than ever to protect Kumud.

Kumud's weak moment was not being able to stand up to Pramaad and we have seen what the precap what is coming...she is back! Now no one can mess with her!

the confrontations between Kumud and Saras are like timeless art pieces..they just increase in value. First the confession from Saras in the last episode left us speechless and now this.

it was beautiful and def couldnt have been captured anywhere else. The significance of being in a mandir.

Both have strong faith in God and infront of God they have testified their love for each other. Thats all I could see anyway. Because its this love that brought Kumud to the mandir. Its Saras's love that is almost the reason why she is able to fight..because she knows deep down she wasnt cheated upon...their love for one another that will keep them both going.

very apt title Arshi..'shakti'. and its this shakti that will give Kumud the power to fight. Saras the power to have to be able to see Kumud with someone else.

I cant wait for today's episode.

Kat.

P.S. When the epi finished I did feel sad though. Sad for Saras because Kumud has something to fight for...she wants that now she does everything to change pramaad and make her marriage work...she still has people who love her but Saras has no one still :-(   he cant forever be the third wheel in Pramaad and Kumud's relationship (yes it wont be an easy ride for Kumud but if we take a blind eye to the novel and take a stand now...all we know is that for Kumud...she wants her marriage to work and why not...no one wud just leave their husband for their ex...so as far as her POV is concerned, she has to make her marriage work..and in that...there is a future where Saras wont exist 😭)

KK84 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: happychappy

Loved your CB today, Arshi! 10/10 to you... Great song-choice as well...

Glad you liked tonight... I didnt. Its down to personal preferences...

Remember Hgg-bhai once wondering why all the women on here didnt admire Kumud more? Inspirational, was the word he used... A fighter, and a potental role-model.

And Kumud did reduce Saras to admiration today, like you said.. And theirin lies the nub of why I dont feel empathy for her.  I am not inspired but  irritated by those who want to be martyrs and save the world even if it gives everyone else nightmares and loads of guilt! And every time someone harks back to the first time Saras said no, like Kumud did today...I just stop listening. What happened afterwards didnt count for anything? poof, just like that?...What the... 

Kumud is like an emotional bull-dozer when she comes into form like she has now. Its all about her and herself and her choices, actions, perseverance,and all the other wonderful qualities that Dugba used to say she was bursting with.  She will hold up the world and be the ever-suffering dharti-ma, so her parents, in-laws, and sisters, even Yash, can live their golden lives...?Today she came across as self-righteous and sometimes even cruel in the way she cut Saras down to size.  If he is still around to admire her (and protect her) after today, that just shows how much he loves her...πŸ˜‰  Amen.

wow! its so good to see this perspective! I like.

But I dont think its anything to do with Kumud being mahaan..yes, i think she is in the wrong of even now wanting to fight a relation which will give nothing back to her. He is having an affair with a kaam wali! I mean thats not forgiveable any how!

and for her to say if she can forgive saras why not him? I mean I was shocked at the fact that such comparison was even being made. How can his 'mistake' come close to having an affair..but i think thats the difference between relationships before marriage and after marriage.

No matter what, our society..our people would never take marriage lightly no matte r how modern you are...you will always fight to save your marriage. Thats something thats drilled into girls from their mother.

and remember the advice Kumuds mum gave to her..accept your husband..no matter what his faults are.

This is how it always is and even an educated girl falls in to this trap. Its always easy to say that you would walk away from a failed marriage but would you really without even trying to make it work?

Kumud hasnt had that chance yet...so far she wasn't even herself...she didnt even try to fight for her 'relationship'. She just accepted it. Now she is figthing for it but I think its only fair that after a while if Pramaad doesnt change and keeps having affairs then she walks out! Thats when I cant accept her fighting for this marriage.

The things is even if she walks out of it...she wont marry Saras 😭 she will just choose not marry anyone...its like I read somewhere...educated but still from a village.

Kat
happychappy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Since both Kumud and Padma mean lotus, could it be the authors cheeky way of saying, Pramaad doesn't want this lotus, since he already has that one? You know sort of Kumud's alternative in pramaads life? 

And are pramaad and Saras the two faces of a man? Since the story was about social values, and not really about Saras and Kumud per se? 

Wow,   Arshi, that is indeed an interesting thought  πŸ‘πŸΌ

Btw, this was a very special issue of CB, full of food for thought.😊  Thanks to all!
Edited by happychappy - 10 years ago
hotdogg thumbnail

@Ivy, welcome back. 

@smrth: read up on both of you discussing the name Padma, since name symbolism of this story has fascinated me from day 1, was really interested to see your interpretation. 

@hgg 

beats me arshi..

In behaviour & personality ...pramad is definitely saras doppelganger...matter and antimatter united through kumud...

But maybe the author was being his ironical and sadistic best here..

pramad means to rejoice
saras real name was chandra...which means the moon and moonlight.

pramad caused the opposite effect...darkness & sorrow
chandra too caused the opposite effect...darkness & sorrow.

😎

Edited by hotdogg - 10 years ago
happychappy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: hotdogg

beats me arshi..

In behaviour & personality ...pramad is definitely saras doppelganger...matter and antimatter united through kumud...

But maybe the author was being his ironical and sadistic best here..

pramad means to rejoice
saras real name was chandra...which means the moon and moonlight.

pramad caused the opposite effect...darkness & sorrow
chandra too caused the opposite effect...darkness & sorrow.

😎

Sorry to butt in here, Hgg... I have often wondered about how they spelt the name. It was Kumud weds Pramad in the banner that Saras saw that night, but in dialog its always Pramaad.

Now Pramad or Pramod more commonly, could mean rejoice, enjoy...
But Pramaad looks like it means negligence, lack of care,... negative stuff really...
In which case, Arshi's theory fits perfectly.

hotdogg thumbnail

Originally posted by: happychappy

Sorry to butt in here, Hgg... I have often wondered about how they spelt the name. It was Kumud weds Pramad in the banner that Saras saw that night, but in dialog its always Pramaad.

Now Pramad or Pramod more commonly, could mean rejoice, enjoy...
But Pramaad looks like it means negligence, lack of care,... negative stuff really...
In which case, Arshi's theory fits perfectly.

Happychappy...

Agree...

arashi's theory with respect to kumud & padma was same real life impact and different name connotation

I was pointing out that saras & chandra exhibited same real life impact for kumud and similar names connotation both which are very positive...so the author was sadistic and ironical

your observation indicates he was not that smart...there was no irony !!.
pramaad (corrected!) & chandra exhibited same real life impact for kumud) sure and different name connotation

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜Ž

...Well...Are we really crazy or what???

πŸ˜†

Edited by hotdogg - 10 years ago