article on Prashant Bhatt

tiny15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago
Frnds heres an article on Prashant Bhatt the fiction head of Colors channel . he was the one who said thta Phulwa had cum 2 the logical conclusion wen he shut it down untimely!!🥱
plz read the article & seew at lame  excuses hes giving abt his oder crap shows.
the article is provided by abhishek whos ID is NoMercy.

MAN OF ALL COLORS

Actor, scriptwriter and now fiction head — Prashant Bhatt seems to have been there and done it all at a very young age. Associated with Colors for a long time now, Bhatt feels the soap dish of this particular channel is unparalleled. Easily bored if he has nothing to do, Bhatt wants to introduce many changes to ongoing serials this year. Deebashree Mohanty chats him up

You were a popular face on TV. Why choose to write scripts?

In almost every Press conference that I attend, I am initially mistaken to be part of the cast till I'm introduced to the media as the fiction head for the channel. The perplexed look on their faces has become a constant feature. It makes me laugh.

On a more serious note, I have taken a conscious decision to mix up my work. When I started out as an actor, I was very happy with the roles I got. Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu ThiKasauti Zindagi Kay andWoh Rehne Wali Mehlon Ki were super serials. Acting in them was a spiritual experience. But, I got bored of doing the same stuff. I need to be motivated, to get out of my slumber and go to work everyday. Acting stopped providing me that incentive.

I felt I was getting stereotyped. That's when I decided to take a break from the soap dish. I wanted to do something different, wanted to explore a role behind the camera. And, it worked. I discovered I loved writing scripts. I decided to write and act. Initially, I would act in two shows and write for two others.

Why switch to a channel job?

As I said, I get bored easily. That's what happened when I was writing for shows. After an initial burst of excitement, even being the creative director stopped working for me. Shows ceased to a challenge me. My normal task turned to setting up special shows for the channel when the current ones slackened. I became the damage control man who was roped in to resurrect shows and create something out of nothing. Bas uske baad mera koi role nahin thha. I was asked to go party till the next situation arose.

While that may sound fun to many, I am not the kind of guy who can enjoy vacation time so frequently. I was craving to do something different and that's when I got this offer from Colors to come aboard as the fiction head. I thought this was a desk job, something I was just not cut out for. But that's precisely why I took it up. I am not the types to play safe.

Still not bored being fiction head?

For now, my plate is full. I am enjoying the responsibility that comes with this position. It is fascinating to meet so many creative directors, producers and channel crew and discuss their problems and high points. We are in a continuos state of flux and I like it that way.

nWhat about the channel? It has fallen to the 4th position just below Sony...

Colors has done tremendously since its inception as a family channel. The growth curve is promising and I can tell you with the robust plans they have, we are  going to be on top very soon. The channel has a water-tight strategy in place, something I found very attractive to begin with. They have a Plan B for everything and don't hesitate to bring it to use when the need arises. Here, decisions are taken fast.

You've said, TRPs don't matter...

I believe that. I actually said to the journalist that in a population of 121 crore, I don' think a 8,000 metre can make a serial a success or a failure. With all due respect, I feel the TRP business is a farce. The actual test of a show lies in its faithful audience. That I have for all my shows. There are people who send me hate mails because we took off Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha to introduce a second season. Most were unhappy when Gauri was winning over Anandi in Balika Vadhu. That is my certificate. But I have a grievance against my audience as well. The hate mails outweigh the congratulatory ones. 

How about Bollywood. Any plans to write or act in the film industry?

Frankly, I haven't got any great project. There have been some offers but they aren't good enough. I would love to script a film if I do get a chance. Till then, it's TV for me. This is an exciting phase in television and it feels great to be a part of it. Having said that, if I do get something similar to what Amit Saad and Rajput got in Kai Po Chhe, I would love to do that kind of cinema.

Why is it an exciting phase in TV?

Because there is so much more scope to explore in the small screen format today. The sky is the limit when it comes to story ideas. Look at the theme's  dealt with today. They are modern, contemporary, sometimes even shocking. We have social issues, thrillers, reality crime and lifestyle shows that were earlier not even talked about. Also, the huge gap between TV and the big screen has been shrinking. You see film stars making TV their home. Not just senior artists who have retired from their profession but actors who are in their prime are making a TV presence like never before.

TV budgets have increased manifold, giving way to innovative ideas of promotion and advertising. Who had ever thought that we could promote a soap in a 360 degree manner? Nowadays, producers are open to spending anywhere between Rs50 and Rs90 lakh just to market their shows. That is huge considering it is the small screen. Then there is also the talent pool of actors. Today's youngsters are born actors. All these things add up to make TV the best medium to be in.

Is it true that TV is more organised than Bollywood?

It all depends on the production house and the star cast associated with the show. While some actors are strict disciplinarians, there are others who take things lightly. It is the role of the creative head to get his ensemble organised. It is not uncommon in a TV set-up to have an unruly cast. But that is for the director to tackle. Bollywood is bigger than TV so the problems are also higher.

You have said Colors is your safe haven. Why so?

Mostly because I have been with this channel for a long time. It is like my second home. Also, Colors has a very interesting line-up of shows which include something for every age group. The channel has got its mix right. There is drama, reality and thrill in good proportions. We don't believe in overkill so, our brand positioning is spot-on.

But what about children shows?

That is something we are working on. End of this year, you will see the channel come up with unique programming for children of all age groups. But we would like to restrict these serials to weekends. That's what is prime time for children.

You are responsible for what goes in your channel from 7-9 pm. Do you watch all shows? Any favoruites?

As fiction head, I am responsible for the content that goes into all these shows. But I am grateful to creative heads and the programming team who don't allow a situation to be created wherein my inputs are required. I enjoy a rapport with them and am aware of the stories that are rolled out on a weekly basis. Apart from that, I have given them a lot of freedom to explore their creative side. It won't be correct to name favourites.

Balika Vadhu: Has been our flagship show for many years now. It has set an example of sorts for other channels to follow. That we have faithful viewers for over 1000 episodes goes to show how popular Balika is. It was a cult show at that time but now many channels have tried to ape the show. BV still tries to stay above this herd. On the flip side, we are hoping that Toral settles down as the new Anandi.

Madhubala: Has had its share of ups and downs. The protagonists were not the regular run-of-the-mill characters. The show started pretty well, peaked at times but we have to do something to resurrect the interest. The channel has been working on this. We may introduce changes later this year

Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha: Again started off with flying colours. One of the most liked serials in our repertoire. When we decided to take a season break, there were maximum hate mails. People wanted us to continue with the same vein. We started aggressive marketing for this show two months prior to it being introduced — one of the first from Colors and it worked in our favour

Bani: Fantastic concept and equally fantastic opening week. On its way to becoming our main show. What works for Bani is the original shoot locales that adds to its flavour. One of the more expensive shows to shoot and produce. The only show with an out-and-out outdoor shooting

Uttaran: The mainstay of the channel. Was a cult show when introduced. Nothing of this sort had been experimented with earlier. Has had its share of leaps. Watch out for interesting tweaks towards the end of the year. As for a leap, I don't think so!

Sasural Simar Ka: Its USP is its realistic theme. Simar ka sasural is like a normal sasural and many people may relate to it. Also, what works in its favour is the mix between the young and the experienced. The show doesn't have too many characters. We have had a few complains that it tends to get boring but you can't churn out excitement all the time

Sanskar: Is just a few episodes old but the response has been good. Nothing phenomenal but it has its own audience. Again, a different storyline. Will have to wait and watch for it to catch the eyeballs

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Reenatyzed thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
he is really a worse head ðŸ˜¡
tiny15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3