Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: usachick821

actually i agree with Aparna to the most part and would say that bollywood follows the formula more than hollywood. Most of the story lines are that boy meets girl, they fall in love, 2-3 song numbers, some problem comes up (family, gangs, ect. ) they try to protect their love, and either have a happy ending or both or one dies. I've only seen a few movies in bollywood that dont exactly follow this classic formula (like the movie black, page 13, Iqbal etcetera)

I'm not trying to say that one side is better than the other (the grass isnt always greener on the other side), i'm just trying to say that each have their pros and cons, and for some people the pros matter more than the cons and vice versa. I personally enjoy both forms of movies, when i have a lot of time i watch hindi movies, and when i feel like enjoying a mind thriller or something like that i watch english movies.

Yes, but, that falls into one Genre of movies - Romance. If we compare Hollywood Love Stories to Bollywood Love Stories, there wouldn't be much of a difference either in terms of predictability.

Romance as a genre also follows a formula:

Boy/Girl meet

Conflict: Parents, Problems with a "past", Gang violence, Falling in Love due to problems, Love Triangles, etc

Resolution of Conflict: Happiness or Tragedy

The problem with Bollywood is that most movies stick to one genre, which make them "predictable".

Pradarshak thumbnail
I like both. Bollywood coz that's the culture I can relate, I've grown up watching them. I feel proud of the industry, since any industry comes to mind after Hollywood, that is Bollywood.( I remember once an Ethiopean guy was being very sarcastic about Bollywood movies which he had seen, I proudly told him at least we dare to make movies and that's world-wide known industry. What does Ethiopia has to offer in this field?)

Hollywood, for it's quality products. It's like the heaven of the entertainment.

Okay let me see how many good Bollywood films I have seen this year so far : Rang de basanti, Krissh, Malamal Weekly, Gangster, Fanaah, Golmaal, Taxi no 9211(I hope I did not miss any)

Hollywood movies : Pirates of the Carribean, Ice age II, Syrianna, Pink Panther, Munich, The chronicles of Narina, Brokeback Mountain, Kingkong, Walk in the line, A history of violence, MI III, Superman( and I know I missed watching a lot many good ones like Goodnight and Good Luck, Fun with Dick and Jane, Cheaper by dozenII, Match point, Transamerica and many more)

So, I guess the list says it all.
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: Pradarshak

Okay let me see how many good Bollywood films I have seen this year so far : Rang de basanti, Krissh, Malamal Weekly, Gangster, Fanaah, Golmaal, Taxi no 9211(I hope I did not miss any)

Hollywood movies : Pirates of the Carribean, Ice age II, Syrianna, Pink Panther, Munich, The chronicles of Narina, Brokeback Mountain, Kingkong, Walk in the line, A history of violence, MI III, Superman( and I know I missed watching a lot many good ones like Goodnight and Good Luck, Fun with Dick and Jane, Cheaper by dozenII, Match point, Transamerica and many more)

BTW, i loved all these movies i underlined too. Unfortunately i haven't seen the hindi movies😭 you mentioned except RDB which became a bore in the second half.
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Pradarshak, how dare you forget Phir Hera Pheri?πŸ˜†
Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: SolidSnake

Pradarshak, how dare you forget Phir Hera Pheri?πŸ˜†

Okay, sorry. Actually it came to my mind. But personally I did not find it that good(nothing like the first one), too many characters, too many coincidences, too loud.

usachick821 thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

Yes, but, that falls into one Genre of movies - Romance. If we compare Hollywood Love Stories to Bollywood Love Stories, there wouldn't be much of a difference either in terms of predictability.

Romance as a genre also follows a formula:

Boy/Girl meet

Conflict: Parents, Problems with a "past", Gang violence, Falling in Love due to problems, Love Triangles, etc

Resolution of Conflict: Happiness or Tragedy

The problem with Bollywood is that most movies stick to one genre, which make them "predictable".

well that's what i meant lol πŸ˜†,  bollywood is predictable

Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

BTW, i loved all these movies i underlined too. Unfortunately i haven't seen the hindi movies😭 you mentioned except RDB which became a bore in the second half.

I can see we have similar taste when it comes to Hollywood.

I would recommend you to watch "Gangster", Shiny Ahuja was good .

Morgoth thumbnail

I liked the bolded ones.

I agree, Pradarshak, Phir Hera Pheri was not as good as Hera Pheri. Too loud and obnoxious. It felt as if everyone was trying too hard to be funny.

I have a feeling Munna Bhai - Lagge Raho is about to meet a similar fate. 😭

Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

[I liked the bolded ones.

I agree, Pradarshak, Phir Hera Pheri was not as good as Hera Pheri. Too loud and obnoxious. It felt as if everyone was trying too hard to be funny.

I have a feeling Munna Bhai - Lagge Raho is about to meet a similar fate. 😭

Thanks for sharing T. 

I am hopeful about Munnabhai II. The director Rajkumar Hirani makes clean movies and of course Arshad Warsi is there too. I heard "Anthony kaun hain" is good. Yet to watch.

noorejahaan thumbnail
I prefer Bollywood, because when I watch bollywood flicks, I can just chill out and relax, since I usually already know how the movies gonna end.. πŸ˜‰ And I also like that they're usually light-hearted and sort of break away from reality more than hollywood films..the only hollywood movies I usually like are comedies, or movies like Pirates of the Caribbean (Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom 😳)
And the last reason is because..well..there are Indian guys in them! hehe...