Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sanya_s

..and most of the time, u dont have to use u'r brains that much 😳 ..unlike in hollywood movies. ANd one thing I noticed is..u have to absolutely strain u'r ears to hear hollywood dialogues, they talk so quietly..w

sanya_s straining your ears to hear the dialodue has nothing to do with them talking softly. Its because we as Desi's aren't used to English with an acent. There are times i find Southern Accent a bit hard to understand as they roll their toungues before they speak unlike the other parts of U.S . It just needs accent getting used to.

As for no brainer movies , they are so many in Hollywood too. The simple comedies like Austin Powers, or Steve Martin movies that don't have complicated story lines.

My point being, Hollywood and Bollywood are equally good. But Hollywood does make better movies than Hollywood more often. While in Bollywood that makes much more films than Bollywood a year, makes less great films in proportion a year. phewwww did that come out right ??!!?? But they both make awesome movies. Just the proportion differs.
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

Frankly, Hollywood is a novelty which soon wears off once you start watching more movies from there.

See i don't agree with Hollywood movies being a "novelty" Tanaz . Like some of us have mentioned its really a personal choice.

I still prefer watching Hollywood movies to Bollywood in proportion say 3:1 . I used to watch them less in india because of availibilty. As Delhi doesn't have as many Video rentals. While here i mostly rent for free from the Public library or Blockbuster right next door. While Hindi i have to drive far to go to the store.

But even if i could rent hindi movies often , i wouldn't because Hindi movies are just too long!!  I like them short and sweet , all of 2 hours max!
Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

See i don't agree with Hollywood movies being a "novelty" Tanaz . Like some of us have mentioned its really a personal choice.

I still prefer watching Hollywood movies to Bollywood in proportion say 3:1 . I used to watch them less in india because of availibilty. As Delhi doesn't have as many Video rentals. While here i mostly rent for free from the Public library or Blockbuster right next door. While Hindi i have to drive far to go to the store.

But even if i could rent hindi movies often , i wouldn't because Hindi movies are just too long!!  I like them short and sweet , all of 2 hours max!

I agree, Aparna, it most definitely is a personal choice.

But, in general, for those people who rarely get to watch Hollywood movies, having no songs, and a quicker pace is novel.

Later on, for many of those people, the novelty wears off and they go back to watching more Hindi Movies. 

I have heard many say that English movies are different and unique and Hindi movies are predictable. What I was trying to say is that Hollywood movies also end up having a predictable "standard mix" once you start watching them on a regular basis. (this is based on my own experience)

But, which "standard mix" one prefers depends on personal taste.  

Aparna_BD thumbnail

I have heard many say that English movies are different and unique and Hindi movies are predictable. What I was trying to say is that Hollywood movies also end up having a predictable "standard mix" once you start watching them on a regular basis. (this is based on my own experience)

But, which "standard mix" one prefers depends on personal taste.  

I do believe that Hindi movies are far more predictable than English movies. As for the "standard mix", could you give examples plz for Hollywood movies. As i somehow don't feel Hollywood movies go by a formula. 😊
Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

I do believe that Hindi movies are far more predictable than English movies. As for the "standard mix", could you give examples plz for Hollywood movies. As i somehow don't feel Hollywood movies go by a formula. 😊

Here are some examples:

Miss Congeniality, Never Been KissedA Cinderella Story - Ugly Duckling turns Swan and finds Prince Charming

Batman, Superman, Spiderman  - superhero with a secret, who never gets discovered and fights mutated weirdos

Jackie Chan's Action Movies - Jackie always fighting off a bad guy with a Black/White sidekick.

Mission Impossible, Bourne Identity - Complete Action flicks, where you predict what will get blown up next

Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween - typical screeching slasher movies

Makes and remakes of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Alien flicks, etc. etc.

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Apna, apna ho hota hai aur paraaya, paraaya! 😉
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: SolidSnake

Apna, apna ho hota hai aur paraaya, paraaya! 😉

Deepak Apna Apna hota hai to jo rubbish dikhaye hum enjoy karen ? Some people rather go for quality rather than apna theory.😊
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Here are some examples:

Miss Congeniality, Never Been KissedA Cinderella Story - Ugly Duckling turns Swan and finds Prince Charming
Right these are the chick flick formulas. Light and silly. Not much of a chick flick fan !!

Batman, Superman, Spiderman  - superhero with a secret, who never gets discovered and fights mutated weirdos
based on Comic books and we do expect to see good triump bad. We do know Spiderman climbs walls and Superman flies because we know them from the comics books.

Jackie Chan's Action Movies - Jackie always fighting off a bad guy with a Black/White sidekick.
Sure , what else will an action film be. If we go to see an action film we expect fightning. But that does not mean we know the plot.

Mission Impossible, Bourne Identity - Complete Action flicks, where you predict what will get blown up next
The stories are not predictable. Since they are action , you know there will be violence and thimgs will get blown up.

Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween - typical screeching slasher movies
You are watching a horror and expect things to come after you. But that does not mean i know the story. I just watched "Sleepy Hollow" . I expected to be frightened !! Yes obviously i was frightened!!. But i was surprised by its ending.

Makes and remakes of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Alien flicks, etc. etc.
Remakes are another thing. You obviously know the story in advance.

Giving example and saying horror movie, you expect the shreiking, action you expect the fighting, comedy you expect several jokes and funny incidents DOES NOT mean they are falling a formula and being obvious.

I look forward to KANK, i can say i expect to cry in some scenes as its a sort a sad movie, does not mean i know its story and can predict it.

Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
usachick821 thumbnail

actually i agree with Aparna to the most part and would say that bollywood follows the formula more than hollywood. Most of the story lines are that boy meets girl, they fall in love, 2-3 song numbers, some problem comes up (family, gangs, ect. ) they try to protect their love, and either have a happy ending or both or one dies. I've only seen a few movies in bollywood that dont exactly follow this classic formula (like the movie black, page 13, Iqbal etcetera)

I'm not trying to say that one side is better than the other (the grass isnt always greener on the other side), i'm just trying to say that each have their pros and cons, and for some people the pros matter more than the cons and vice versa. I personally enjoy both forms of movies, when i have a lot of time i watch hindi movies, and when i feel like enjoying a mind thriller or something like that i watch english movies.

Morgoth thumbnail

You can't really predict the plot of most movies beforehand. However, once you start watching movies of different genres, you will observe the standard formulae used:

For instance: action movies mostly have a brawny actor with a "past" or who is stuck in a situation where he is forced to solve a mystery, generally with the help of a beautiful woman.

High-school dramas almost always have clique-wars and evil fashion-queens or bone-headed jocks.

There are other comedies where the Mom/Dad turns into an Animal or turns into his/her younger self to help their dysfunctional families get back together.

Comic Book and Novel adaptations also become predictable unless the author itself is really good. But, then again, novelists and comic book artists also keep using generic formulae. For example: In Dan Brown's books, the Good character, who helps the protagonist is always the actual villain.  

Horror flicks mostly use an "evil never dies" formula, which was rehashed by R.L.Stine in his books countless times. Some shadow of the evil still lurks around even at the end. Also, the creepy character ends up being a friend/someone who saves the protagonist from the actual villain.   

I am not saying that ALL movies are like this. But, once a movie becomes a hit, everyone follows the trend and makes it a generic formula. In the end, it depends on what kind of formula people like watching.

I'll give this much that Hollywood movies experiment with more genres in comparison to Bollywood, where many movies are based on love.

But, every genre still follows a formula. If one watches movies from the same genre, it can easily get predictable.

On the other hand, I can see why Bollywood movies are thought of as more "predictable". Its because most commercial movies are Love Stories. 😆