Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Very few male TV actors who began their career with me have managed to survive so long: Aman Verma

Veteran TV actor Aman Verma is happy with the success of his ongoing Life OK crime based show Hum Ne Li Hai...Shapath (Fireworks Productions).

"I have never essayed a hard-nosed cop (ACP Diler Kumar) in any TV serial or film before. When I was narrated the script, I knew that it had potential and after the current super cop and super villain phase came, this Fireworks product has really moved ahead in terms of TRPs," avers Aman.

Asked to comment on what might have worked now, the actor observes, "Everybody loves super heroes. In fact, we all want one to be in our area to protect us. In India, we have a dearth of super heroes; we have not had one since Chacha Chaudhary and Sabu. So, maybe we are filling that gap."

Talking about the real men in khaki, Aman avers, "Cops are really working hard and if the situation in the country gets a bit better, I am sure we will become one of the best nations in the world in every respect."

He also admits that they don't show the human side of the cops in Shapath. "We are chasing TRPs in each and every episode and that's how the story goes. If the sensitive idea fits in the overall narrative, then this phase might come in," Aman indicates.

Since Aman has been around for many years (Gharana, Sujat, Virasat), we asked him what he felt about the metamorphosis of the daily show genre. "It undergoes change every four to five years. We began with Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thiand Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, then later moved on to region-based shows that was started by Colors."

"This was followed by language-based shows and now we are in a phase where protagonists in a serial are in their 30 and 40s. Even Shapath is like a daily show for we are shooting two hours of content a week which equals to four episodes," he goes on to answer.

So where do you find yourself in your professional journey currently? "No where! I just do whatever work comes my way. It is very difficult for a male actor to survive in the TV industry; female co-artistes, comparatively, get much more work. Even then, I have survived after facing some many controversies and being pushed around. There are hardly a few male actors who began with me and are still doing shows. What has clicked for me is that I always work hard, I am polite, don't throw any kind of tantrums and, last but not the least, am flexible with money and time," the actor concludes.

Have a great life ahead, Aman!!!