LeadNitrate thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Kolkata: Award winning Bengali filmmaker Rituparno Ghosh passed away in Kolkata, he was 49. Heart attack is said to be the reason of his death.

Ghosh was born on August 31, 1963 in Kolkata. His father was a well known documentary filmmaker.

Rituparno Ghosh came to prominence with his 1994 film 'Unishe April'. He won multiple National Awards and several acclaimed international awards.

Ghosh, who started his career in advertising, was one of the most innovative Bengali filmmaker.

Winner of 12 national and some international awards, Ghosh was suffering from pancreatitis and died of heart attack at 7.30 am, his family said.

Ghosh shot to fame by his direction of a children's film 'Hirer Angti' in 1994. His film 'Unishe April' won national award winner in 1995.

His other widely acclaimed films include 'Dahan', 'Asukh', 'Chokher Bali', 'Raincoat', 'Bariwali', 'Antarmahal' and 'Noukadubi'.

As news of his death spread, a pall of gloom descended on Tollywood. Thespian Soumitra Chatterjee deeply mourned Ghosh's death, saying, "I cannot believe that Rituparno is no more. It is very difficult to accept this news. We lost a very promising film director at a very early age."

Filmmaker Shyam Benegal, while speaking to CNN-IBN, said, "Am absolutely shocked and shattered. He was such a talented film maker.. made extraordinary films. A serious loss. He was a young man.. he had many years of film making left."

A visibly emotional Kaushik Sen, prominent theatre director and cinema personality who was close to Ghosh, said, "There is no way to explain the loss to not just Bengali but Indian cinema where cerebral content is in a minority. He was supposed to come in for the inaugural show of my new stage production last evening. I received a call from his associate, saying Ritu-da had high fever and would not be able to make it but that he promised to catch the next show. I guess that won't ever happen again. I think he will be most remembered and missed for bringing those issues on screen which have always been considered as taboos."

"Ritu had inspired a whole new generation of film makers. He brought back Bengali middle class back to the cinema hall. He is one of the most significant film makers in India today. One of the most talented film makers in India till date," said director Anik Dutta.

Prosenjit Chatterjee, the superstar of Bengali cinema who won the Special Jury Award at the National Film Awards in 2006 for his performance in Rituparno Ghosh's 'Dosar' has been in a state of shock ever since the news broke. "He is so distraught that he is not in a position to talk," his publicist told IBNLive when contacted.

Many film actors and actresses thronged his residence to pay their last respects.

State Commerce and Industry minister Partha Chatterjee visited his home this morning.

Rituparno Ghosh's body will be kept at the Nandan cinema complex in Kolkata from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM so that his fans can pay their condolences. The body will be taken for the last rites after 6 PM.(With inputs from PTI)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LeadNitrate thumbnail
 Rituparno's some movies came to me as those uber highborw type, but he has given some immensely entertaining movies. he got Sharmila tagore and Rakhi together after ages for Shubho maharat, and the movie was a good adaptation of Miss Marple Story.

He did set a new path for film making. Modern Bengali movies owe a lot to his brand of film making.

And he gave the Indian movies, a new prosenjit. His chokher Bali is one of the Tagore adaptations I liked and never got tired of seeing.
FabAahana thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Its very unfortunate. May his soul rest in peace.

Already been posted:
GodhuliLogon thumbnail
Yeah.. one of the best in Bengal and whole film industry.. 

RIP