Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
  • 22 May 2013
  • Hindustan Times (Mumbai)
  • Kavita Awaasthi kavita.awaasthi@ hindustantimes. com

'I don't think I'm sexy'

Barkha Bisht-sengupta returns to TV after two years; believes her sexy image might have cost her roles

Barkha BishtSengupta is returning to TV after two years with Parvarrish, on which she will play a mother to teenagers. The 33-year-old will replace Rupali Ganguly, who quit the show due to her pregnancy. She discusses her comeback, film career and being written about for her washboard abs.

Were you hesitant to play a mother on-screen?

No. I like the role of the hyper mom, Pinky. I'm making a comeback on TV after two years. Actresses often play older characters. In Parvarrish, Shweta Tiwari plays my elder sister even though she is younger than me.

Rupali is expecting a baby. Will you offer her any advice?

I'm sure everyone is giving her tips, so I'll let her be. When I was expecting Meira, I was overloaded with advice but eventually I did what I felt was right.

You're best known for your physique. Do you take that as a compliment?

I work hard to stay in shape, especially after having a baby, so I'm proud of myself. But at times, I think my looks are a drawback because my fitness is discussed more than anything else. I don't think I'm sexy, but I've been tagged glamorous. People doubt if I'd be the right fit for a role because of my looks. No one has said it to my face, but I feel I have lost out on projects.

Do you feel you don't have that one hit show as your claim to fame?

Yes, other than Radha Ke Do Naam, which got me some good roles. But on TV, it's not about acting but about the popularity of the show. If the show is a hit, it doesn't mean that the actor is the best choice. The TV audience is unpredictable, so you never know what will work.

You are doing films too. Why didn't you stick to them?

I have done three Bengali films and have Ram Leela coming up. But I feel comfortable doing TV, so I came back to it.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

skyforceguy thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i feel sorry for my sudden negative reaction after knowing that she would be our new pinky! I honestly do! Would definately like to give her a chance! Best of lucky barkha!
Shwets1502 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
I think as an actor she understand the demand for the character. She will do her best to do justice to the role. Who knows she comes out better than Rupali.

@Pritam It is best of luck not lucky😆 I know typo error but cudnt stop pointing out😆
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Looks like she is used to being judged by her looks. But waiting to see her performance.
100prabh thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Hopefully she will try her best to perform the role well... I have a feeling she will do good... really looking forward to her entry!!