TOI: Ravi is very understanding: Sargun Mehta

swethasyam08 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
TOI: Ravi is very understanding: Sargun Mehta
TNN | Mar 21, 2013, 11.28 AM IST

Ravi is very understanding: Sargun Mehta
Sargun Mehta

In just four years of being in the entertainment industry, Sargun Mehta has found not just success but even love! An alumna of SacredHeart and Carmel Convent, Sargun swears on being a pure Chandigarhian at heart. In an interview with the TOI, Sargun candidly chats about her career so far and graduating to Nach Baliye finals with beau Ravi Dubey.

In a short span you've achieved a lot. Did you face the proverbial struggle to get here? 
I did a lot of theatre in Kirorimal College, Delhi for three years and that was my first interaction with this medium. Thereafter, frankly there wasn't much of struggle. Someone asked me to audition for a TV show four years ago, I did and was selected.

Why is it that all TV soaps begin with a fresh concept but sooner they fall into the cliched saas bahu sagas trap?
Because maybe, all of that is true. When I did Phulwa, which was again something out of the box and nothing run off the mill kinds, market research showed that women could not relate to Phulwa and that the character doesn't cry enough. Ironically, this is the audience of the TV. For a bahu shedding glycerine tears the TRPs were higher. And you have to show what sells.

But aren't Indian soaps highly unrealistic...larger than life characters waiting endlessly for their husbands? 
See, it's the masses who've made TV. So, despite finding it unrealistic, they love it. The fun of watching TV is all about what the characters wear, their jewellery etc. As for realistic shows, there are lot of shows that came along that way and were pulled off air. Exceptions like Sarabhai Vs Sarabhai, which was very close to reality but it still didn't strike a chord with a lot of people.

Any upcoming projects post Nach Baliye? Any Bollywood dreams?
I don't plan too much. I believe in taking one step at a time. So, particularly not Bollywood, but whatever comes my way I'm open to it as long as it interests me. And I've been starstruck with both TV and films. TV is a huge medium, so there is no gripping intention to join films. I'm already doing Kya Hua Tera Vaada and some other projects in pipeline. So right now I have my hands pretty full.

Since your boyfriend Ravi and you belong to the same industry, is it tough for couples in the same profession to find time for each other?
(Laughs) To each his own. But yes, it is very difficult to make time. There are days when we don't meet but being in the same profession the understanding is also more. You just have to try your best to make it work. And we've been together for more than two years now.

On screen you've played the character of an Alpha woman. Off screen, what is Sargun Mehta all about?
Its sort of hard for me to keep my mouth shut (laughs). And if there is something I feel which is incorrect then there is no stopping me. I don't care about the situation and to whom I'm speaking, which again is both a blessing and a curse. But then that is just me. And I love going out. Even if I worked constantly for 72 hours, I hate going back home.

Coming back to Chandigarh...what is it about this city which you miss being in Mumbai?
More than anything else, it's my family, and my teachers. I've been trying to fight that for the longest time but I haven't succeeded so far. And Chandigarh has lesser people, pollution and more peace, which Mumbai does not, sadly.

By - Ananta Shrikhand

Ravi is very understanding: Sargun Mehta

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tiny15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
@swetha thanx 4 the article.i'd already read it on TOI.and i agree wid her that phulwa was defntly out of box & a w'ful show & ckt. and its also a truth of our country esply women that they like crying bahus being tortured by saas. and thatswhy all shows wid crying queens r hit e.eg SSK,SNS,DABH, PR, UT etc.
even tho bulbul is strong & not crying types but i still like her in Phulwa & i connect wid Phulwa & even  2 sum extent bulbul like ckts more than these crying queens.
but wat can we do as like sargun said we've 2 show wat sells.but i hope one day all this change.😊