Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: Shwets1502

Definitely it is not always the case, but parents need to be careful what they say as their kids are watching them. 

True. I feel there are two kinds of parents now. One who does not hear because of their old thoughts and values and likes to interfere and second the modern parents who have been very independent in their lives and does not want to live under their children and hence exerts power. 

Exactly, they are the guide and they should behave accordingly.

It's not that they shouldn't have a say, it's just that they shouldn't insist about everything. I think the power struggle plays a role in this. Parents dominating kids through their childhood makes them yearn for power. And once they have it as grown up, they try to behave the same with their parents when they have lost their power. Parents saying things like "Mera ghar hai, meri suno" etc. creates such mentality, and kids do the same when they are the master of the house. That's why I advocate friendly relation, no matter the age. Both generations can enjoy even when one is grown up and other has grown old.
Shwets1502 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Freethinker112

Exactly, they are the guide and they should behave accordingly.

It's not that they shouldn't have a say, it's just that they shouldn't insist about everything. I think the power struggle plays a role in this. Parents dominating kids through their childhood makes them yearn for power. And once they have it as grown up, they try to behave the same with their parents when they have lost their power. Parents saying things like "Mera ghar hai, meri suno" etc. creates such mentality, and kids do the same when they are the master of the house. That's why I advocate friendly relation, no matter the age. Both generations can enjoy even when one is grown up and other has grown old.

When kids are young, parents just see their short time future and behave accordingly. They don't really think how will my child behave with me when I turn old. They strike a relation which they feel at that time is good for that child...but that same relation may create problems in the future. Even friendly relations can be a problem at times when parents can be very open with their views which kids may not like. It is all about behaving under those circumstances. Kids should not forget what the parents have done for them...parents should not forget that their child has grownup, has their won family and can lead their life independently. 
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Yes, exactly, both should realize their responsibilities and try to live with harmony. After all, that's all we can do.
Shwets1502 thumbnail

Yes, exactly, both should realize their responsibilities and try to live with harmony. After all, that's all we can do.

Apart from the kids and parents...the person(both daughter-in-law and son-in-law) too needs to support and that's where the problem begins in nearly every family. 

I think...one needs to ask the person who they are going to marry about all these before marrying😆
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Exactly. After all this analysis, marriage itself seems a hectic job. This thread might make me want not to bother with it. 😆
Shwets1502 thumbnail
Haha...I need to be even more careful..being the only daughter..there is even more responsibility and more complexity also😆
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Are you the only daughter or the only child?

I am the only son, so they are my responsibility.
Shwets1502 thumbnail

Are you the only daughter or the only child?

I am the only son, so they are my responsibility.

Only child😊
Freethinker112 thumbnail
I am not the only child, but only son.

No siblings? That might have been boring. 😆
Shwets1502 thumbnail
Yeah...in a way..But I actually dont know how it will be like with siblings..hence did not miss anything much😊