Why are fans too obsessive? Mod Note Pg 28!

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I have been part of many forums of IF since a long time,specially Indian serials forums.I have seen all kind of fans in IF.
When i joined IF in 2006,i feel the fans of tv actors then and fans of tv actors now are completely different.

The first forum i was ever part of was Kasamh se forum,a serial on 3 sisters.The lead pair of the show,Ram kapoor and Prachi desai had a huge fan following.Members of kasamh se forum loved this pair.But never did i see a single post bashing the actors of the show.People used to criticise and bash the characters but never the actors,not even the actors who played negative roles in the show.Fans used to criticise the wrong actions of the two lead characters even though they were their fans.Fans used to give feedback on how the actors should improve themselves and also discuss the actors shortcomings,but in a constructive way and not in a bashing way.In short,fans would criticise but never bash any actor/character.

Then i visited Left right left forum.The lead actor of the show was Rajeev khandelwal who was paired opposite a newcomer called Priyanka bassi.In this forum,i got to see a little negativity.Fans of rajeev's previous show used to always compare both his shows and criticise left right left.In those days,the media used to spread rumors about rajeev's alleged affair with his previous costar,Aamna Shariff.Fans of this jodi were so obsessive that they used to bash Priyanka and also people who even mentioned rajeev-priyanka jodi.They were so obsessive about rajeev-aamna pair that they even expected hard core priyanka fans to turn into Aamna fans and love the rajeev-aamna jodi.But still there was some amount of maturity in them.

My third forum was Dharam Veer forum.Rajat tokas,the famous child star then was a part of that show alongwith another newcomer called Vikrant massey.This was the first forum where i saw teenagers on IF because obviously Rajat was a teenager so his fans too would mostly be teenagers.Most of his teenage fans used to bash and criticise Vikrant,never used to like his work because they felt it will be an insult to rajat if they even like vikrant's work in the show.For the first time i saw the obsessive behaviour of fans towards their fav.actor.

Then i took a long hiatus from IF and has become a silent member of many forums.

When a popular show on Star One called Geet was on air,i had heard that fans of the lead pair of the show were so obsessive about the jodi that they started hating the lead actor's wife and still send hate mails to her only because she married the lead actor.

The latest obsessive fans,whoelse but Mr.Barun Sobti's fans.I am sure there's no need to even introduce these fans as the whole IF knows them very well.In my 7 years of being part of IF,I feel barun sobti fans have broke all records of fandom.They turned out to be the baaps and maas and dadas and dadis of Ram-Prachii fans,Rajeev-Aamna fans,Rajat tokas fans,etc.all combined together.🀣For them,Barun sobti is literally a God,they won't speak a single word against their God and if someone else speaks even half a word against their God then they will insult,abuse,humiliate,send death threats,etc.,etc.,etc.They praise their Lord and expect everyone to do the same.If people don't praise barun then he is called an animal.On sunday,i read a post by one of barun fans which literally shocked me.According to that TM,even though everybody on IPKKND worked so hard for the success of the show but still Barun should get all the credit for the success of the show.Reason-Obviously,because they treat him like God. 

So there have been whole lot of changes in fans since last few years.Earlier,fans were matured,were never so emotional towards the characters/the actors but nowadays fans have become too much obsessive,emotional and love the fictional characters and the actors who don't even know of their existence so much that they bash.humilate,insult,abuse real people.

Will this obsessive behaviour of fans continue or will it fade away slowly? 
Edited by subha2601 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Because fans are...fans.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Because parents no longer discipline their kids or impart common sense.

When I was a teen, I ran home from school and went outside to play with friends. I didn't log onto IF and drool over celebrities.

I wasted my time when I was older. πŸ˜†
McNinja thumbnail
@RTH...If only it was the kids that are the problem, wishful thinking.  Having been on the IPK forum during its worst, i can tell you it's the 30+ year old women, many with kids, many who are professionals that join and egg on the younger ones in their obsessive behavior. When you have members with kids as old as me(20s) who sit and talk about how they have motherly tendencies towards Barun and then go on and talk of having wet dreams about him, what do you expect from the 15 years old?

The youngest member I came across claimed to be 11. Where are her parents? I don't think I even had access to the Internet when I was 11 πŸ˜†

@TM I have no idea how the psychology of fangirls works, it's something I can't understand and gave up trying to reason out. I just mock this behavior instead. Perhaps I'm adding onto the obsession as it makes them defend their gods even more, but it's how i deal with their nonsense. πŸ˜†
Edited by McNinja - 11 years ago
moomin4455 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: McNinja

@RTH...If only it was the kids that are the problem, wishful thinking.  Having been on the IPK forum during its worst, i can tell you it's the 30+ year old women, many with kids, many who are professionals that join and egg on the younger ones in their obsessive behavior. When you have a members with kids as old as me(20s) who sit and talk about how they have motherly tendencies towards Barun and then go on and talk about having wet dreams about him, what do you expect from the 15 years old?

The youngest member I came across claimed to be 11. Where are her parents? I don't think I even had access to the Internet when I was 11 πŸ˜†

@TM I have no idea how the psychology of fangirls works, it's something I can't understand and gave up trying to reason out. I just mock this behavior instead. Perhaps I'm adding onto the obsession as it makes them defend their gods even more, but it's how i deal with their nonsense. πŸ˜†

@bold: plus it's hella funny πŸ˜†

IPKKND was a strange one - a desi show that attracted many individuals that never even thought to watch an Indian soap before.

If people are obsessed they're obsessed with the romance that was in the show. Because most of the viewers are female they'll identify more with the male lead's character  - Barun Sobti. 

In fact these fans are obsessed with Arnav Singh Raizada, not the actor - it's really him they're defending and bullying other people for.

Why is their obsession so potent? I think it's become worse since the show ended abruptly...not having a real ending so to speak and then the whole spamming debacle has empowered the worst of the fans. They think that all they have to do now to get their own way is spam and harass others, hence their behaviour and their bravado.
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Fans are too obsessive because they make the star their sole business of existence. The star has to look good, have the biscuits and the pointed nose, if possible and the obsession naturally leaks out of the ladies. Also, one could easily say that obsessive fans do not have a life because they could gobble this site down in their excitement after a 25 minute episode. Yes, and then they have the capacity to discuss it for the next 23 hours and 45 minutes. πŸ˜³ Obsessive fans are puerile and interpret the sitting together of their favorite couple for an interview as a love affair between em. 'It is SO obvious, I can totally sense it, you see!'. 

I have more to say. I'll be coming right back after some study. Eeh.
This topic, I likey! 
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

nebuna thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
BS fans are obsessive and feel that fangirls and  their god rule IF and BW resp

Mods of that forum paved way for such fans to behave insane which added to their advantage

If teens behave in such a way its natural but women with children turn obsessive then that is unhealthy

All the fangirls have raped the report button to shut down one post in DM
and i am sure it will not be reviewed 
Kookiemonster thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
There are fans and then there are Fanatics.
Sadly these guys have now even crossed the threshold of even being a fanatic, I see 12 -14 year olds in IPK forum trolling around and obsessing over some mediocre actor.

Whatever happened to parental supervision?

If you don't like their god they will call you " Dog", "Bitch" '"wh**e" and god knows what else, they will mock you, wish you ill, send you hate PM's and worse wish for you family members or your children to die.

If this is not  some kind of sick obsession then I wonder what is?
How difficult it is for people to realize that not everyone can like their precious god?

Recently the director of this show was bashed, was called vile names on his FB profile page because he credited and praised this actor's co star more than he praised the actor.

And there are not just teenagers , even members over 30 , 40 and even 50 in that forum are vile.

Sobti is merely disliked more because of his juvenile fan following who come up with arguments like 
" U da basher " or " U izz stupid".

Edited by kookieMonster_M - 11 years ago

Originally posted by: nebuna

If teens behave in such a way its natural but women with children turn obsessive then that is unhealthy

What makes you think that it is natural for teens to behave in this idiotic fashion and unhealthy if moms do the same? has there been any study carried out to say that people get cured of their obsession once they have children? Why do you think it is unhealthy?