Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ChannaMereya thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
ticket milegi toh na near my home shows only at 7 pm so no permission and other show and 9 and other places which is 15 km away from my home it is housefull morning show😭
ChannaMereya thumbnail

The Smaller Picture : Kai Po Che!

Posted: February 23, 2013 by moifightclub in bollywoodcinemafilmfilm reviewMovie Recco,movie reviewsreviews
Tags: Abhishek Kapoor, Amit Sadh, Amrita Puri, Anay Goswami, Chetan Bhagat, Deepa Bhatia,Hitesh Sonik, Kai Po Che, Manav Kaul, Mukesh Chhabra, Pubali Chaudhuri, Raj Kumar Yadav,review, Runcil Rebello, Supratik Sen, Sushant Singh Rajput, The Three Mistakes Of My Life

6 Votes

With the positive reviews pouring in from all quarters, i was waiting for some contrarian views. Because what's the fun if we all are on same page. Though there have been few such views too, and criticism mostly have been looking at the big picture and the issues involved. But Runcil Rebello believes that the film is about "the smaller picture". And he also writes about how the film is different from the book.

In Abhishek Kapoor's Kai Po Che!, it's all about opposition – ideas clashing with each other, and sometimes both winning, sometimes just one. There is the age-old money versus passion squabble, further highlighted in the academics versus sports issue omnipresent throughout Indian homes. Then there is the overarching notion on which the film is built: friendship versus ideology, and friendship does not always win. There is also Mathematics versus Biology.

Kai Po Che!, adapted from Chetan Bhagat's The Three Mistakes Of My Life, is a story set in Gujarat around the turn of the millennium. The nineties were done and dusted with. Internet, Nokia mobiles, malls were making their introduction into daily Indian life. The Indian cricket team would become a leading Test-cricket playing nation in the following decade. Religious politics had not yet reached a fuming and flaming high.

But Kai Po Che! doesn't have its eyes set on such large-scale issues. Rather, it is content telling the story of three friends: Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput) – flamboyant, impulsive, passionate, Govind (Raj Kumar Yadav) – logical, ambitious, money-minded, and Omi (Amit Sadh) – simple, lovable, easily swayed, who set up a sports equipments store-cum-cricket training academy-cum-Maths tuition classes. This film is as much an ode to friendship as it is about the decay of that lovely bond.

The idea of opposition isn't hammered into our heads. It's brought up now and then, never over the top. Just like the film. The story (written by Abhishek Kapoor, Chetan Bhagat, Pubali Chaudhuri and Supratik Sen) does not veer much from the book, and if you've read the book, you'd realise then that it is a story tailor-made for Bollywood. And yet, the writers and the director stitch the film into an altogether different piece of fabric. The film is removed from typical Bollywood treatment. No star actors, no item numbers, no over-the-top treatment, just three songs (Hell! The soundtrack by Amit Trivedi [with lyrics by Swanand Kirkire] includes a garba-beat song in Shubhaarambh, but the film's garba scene isn't picturised on it. Unexpected.) Instead, Kai Po Che! is about the small moments in the fabric. Don't lose sight of the smaller picture.

Characters, especially Omi's, oscillate, not able to settle on one thing. He, at times, goes where the wind blows, and sometimes marches to the beat of the other drummers of the show. He may not always like what he does, but he is loyal to any cause he signs up for. Govind and Ishaan, on the other hand, are the proverbial immovable object and unstoppable force. They'd go to any distance to get what they want, albeit what they want is in diametrically opposite directions. Govind has to let loose, has to understand that not all things in life are solved by Mathematics, but some by Biology too. Ishaan's sister Vidya (Amrita Puri) would be his teacher in this regard. Ishaan has to grow up, has to not let anger affect his decisions, but his mind. Ishaan, and to a lesser degree, Govind too, do not care about how religion plays into their plans. They are fine with sitting on the fence when it comes to this particular power struggle, letting Omi handle the dirty work.

What these three have in common, though, is something India is obsessed with: cricket. Cricket (and films) are said to heal wounds. In this film, it is the historic 2001 Calcutta test match between India and Australia that plays the role of mediator and doctor. It is also cricket that brings together children of two opposing homes, Omi and wiz kid Ali (Digvijay Deshmukh), under one roof.

Abhishek Kapoor has a knack for staging event situations. In Rock On!! earlier, he staged rock concerts in a way no Indian film had before. In Kai Po Che!, he goes large scale, but doesn't make them the focus of his movie. The eye firmly remains on the three friends. Earthquakes, cricket matches and the Godhra Riots form the trifecta of incidents around which they break and mend. Tough decisions are made, mostly on impulse and emotion. When calamities strike, there is no time to think. Govind, Omi and Ishaan choose their respective sides all on basic instinct.

The film, though, has been meticulously planned. If Anay Goswami's cinematography portrays Gujarat in a favourable light, Hitesh Sonik's background score livens up the lives of the three friends. Deepa Bhatia transitions from one date to another finely, giving her best cut in the crucial scene during the riots.

Sushant Singh Rajput and Raj Kumar Yadav play their roles well. They really look the part, and so does Manav Kaul, being crafty and smart as Bittoo mama, Omi's political leader uncle. Amrita Puri is cute and plucky adequately. In fact, the casting (by Mukesh Chhabra) is impeccable. The one actor, though, to make the most impact is Amit Sadh. From portraying a simpleton to a political henchman, Amit Sadh's eyes, and hair, speak.

All these people, eventually, are just holding the manja. It is Abhishek Kapoor flying this kite, cutting every other kite in his path. He'll be the one screaming kai po che! at the end of it. And what a delight it has been to watch this kite soar great heights.

P.S.: If you've read the book, you'll understand the flashback and the conclusion has changed; all for the best. Below are a few details of what is different in the film.

ChannaMereya thumbnail

Review Reloaded: Kai Po Che [2013]

by Bhavin Pathak on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 10:32am

Cast: Sushant Singh Rajput, Amit Sadh, Rajkumar Yadav, Amrita Puri

Director: Abhishek Kapoor

Music: Amit Trivedi

Back-ground Score: Hitesh Sonic

Producers: UTV Spotboys

Cinematography: Anay Goswamy

Editor: Deepan Bhatiya

Story line-up: Based on Chetan Bhagat's novel "3 mistakes of my life". (I never read that) Story revolves around 3 best friends Omi, Ishaan and Govind. Omi played by Amit Sadh, Ishaan played by Sushant Singh Rajput and Govind played by Rajkumar Yadav. How these three chase their dreams with emotions and passion, this is shown in the movie very deeply. Its not easy to draft a story from Best-seller novel of author, but the movie is the perfect visualisation and adoptation of the novel, but if you read the novel then this movie is in a predictable way, so for those who dint read it, first go for the movie and then read it. Movie will not disappoint you. The movie shows story of friendship, politics, romance and cruelty of 2001's earthquake and 2002's communal riots. The plus point of the movie is its Story Line-up, and it can set new milestone in Indian Cinema. Gujarati Film lover will see some of regional artists in the movie as well. I was surprised while I saw Bhim Vakani wellknown theatre artist and Father of Disha Vakani aka "Daya Ben" of Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma and others also.

Performances: Sushant Singh Rajput got perfect movie for opening his career on silver screen. His role of an enthusiastic youngster, portrayed by him in a perfect manner. The character Govind, played by Ragini MMS fame Rajkumar Yadav shows the perfect Gujjubhai. Omi played by Amit Sadh in the form of son of a Bramhin Pujari and Vidhya played by Amrita Puri is providing the glamour in some Gujju touch. Over all, all the characters are well-designed and the movie rises because of the power-packed performances of the actors. Ajay Jadeja was not needed during the movie but unfortunately he also over acted while commentary even. 

Direction: OMG! I became fan of Abhishek Kapoor. Perfect visualisation of earthquack of 2001 and the 2002's communal riots is remind me the actual days. The era of millennium shown by the director in the movie is amazing and heart touching. As I am a typical Gujarati, I am little biased with the movie as this movie was shoot in my home town Ahmedabad and utmost near my Home. First half of the movie, many scenes were shoot at Gujarat College near my home, it seems they are actually Gujjus, while performing. The tour ride continuous with the glimpse of Pol culture of Ahmedabad and generosity of people of Gujarat. Apart from the direction, the cinematography and dialogue writing is also the plus point. Hats off for the crew and direction team of the movie. Abhishek Kapoor dedicated the movie to the people of Gujarat by saying

The movie throws the fragrance of Gujarat. (Khushboo Gujarat Ki).

Music and Background score: Amit Trivedi (a Gujju) is the right choice for compositions. He gives Gujarati touch in the movie. All the songs are awesome. This kind of music we want during the perfect drafted story. No more clutter needed like Pritam. Calm music along with the story is giving charm to the movie.

Verdict: If you are Gujarati, then you will connect the actual era with the visualisation shown in the movie in a perfect manner. Power-packed performances gives the strength to the movie and music gives charm. Amazingly drafted story with superb direction makes the movie perfect. A must watch movie.

ChannaMereya thumbnail

Tags

3 mistakes of my life,kai po che, Movie review, review

Short Review: A well made movie with good performances and a well constructed screenplay. Definitely worth the watch. When 2013 is said and done, this may end up in a lot of top 10 lists.

Full review:

We finally have an answer to the perennial question "Has any movie adaptation been better than the book?". "Kai Po Che" stands head and shoulders above "The 3 mistakes of my life".The book has been moulded into a crisp and pacy 2 hour movie.

The story deals with 3 friends Govind (Raj Kumar Yadav), Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput) and Omi (Amit Sadh) and their lives from 2000-2001 in Ahmedabad(with a framing story set in present day). The movie looks at their friendships, their struggles, and the one thing they have in common above all else – Cricket. There are also subplots around politics, love and a cricketing protege.

The movie never slackens off in pace at any point and keeps you engaged throughout. A large reason for this is the performances from the 3 leads, the way their friendship is developed throughout the movie feels completely natural. The fights they have over small issues, the way the friends keep their egos aside to apologize post a fight, everything feels completely rooted in reality and that is the highlight of the movie.

Of the 3 leads, Sushant Singh Rajput gets the author backed role and performs the hell out of it. He has the more audience friendly part and is the best thing in this movie, a very good debut for him. Raj Kumar Yadav is good, but his role has been significantly reduced from the novel and limits his scope. Amit Sadh does well, but his role seems to be one of convenience and his transformation from a normal everyday guy to a sword wielding Hindutva activist doesn't ring completely true. Amrita Puri does the best she can, but the love story seems more like a detour in the movie. The kid playing Ali is good as well, the supporting cast does well.

The production values on the movie are amazing, the period details are accurate like Nokia 1100s everywhere (although I am not sure if Mobile phones were so widespread in 2001), the Indian team t-shirts accurately reflect 2000 and 2001. The politics of the time is displayed well enough that without actually naming any party you can clearly know who they are talking about.

Abhishek Kapoor (Director of "Rock On") has taken the book and completely reshaped it into a brilliant screenplay. When reading the book, the Australia episode, the way the riots are depicted and the everyone is happy and everything is fine ending were major sticking points with almost all reviewers (not to mention Chethan Bhagat himself being the Deus Ex Machina). All of these issues have been excised and what remains is a very entertaining movie. With this transformation of a passable book into a very good movie Abhishek Kapoor has made himself into a director to watch and I can't wait to see what he does next.

This is definitely one of the better movies this year and when the year ends, it will probably remain as one of the best. Definite watch. 4/5

Timepassss thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: dhoomdhadaka

ticket milegi toh na near my home shows only at 7 pm so no permission and other show and 9 and other places which is 15 km away from my home it is housefull morning show😭

😭    so whats the chance for u now anshi  ?
ChannaMereya thumbnail
Pallavi Sukumar ?@pallavisukumar

Saw Kai po che yesterday nd thrilled to see. It's been long I walked out the theatre with ready eyes. When was the last time u did it?

Expand 
  •  Retweet 
  •  Favorite 
  •  More
ChannaMereya thumbnail

Originally posted by: fansush

😭    so whats the chance for u now anshi  ?

hmm pata nahi let see bro is trying to get tickets tom or may be tue πŸ˜­
Tanyaz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
lovely review Jai .Glad you saw it with a house full crowd and took your  friend along ...what a beautiful film and what superb performances by everyone ...
ChannaMereya thumbnail

Originally posted by: sentiments

😭 πŸ˜­ πŸ˜­ πŸ˜­ Poor you I feel very much for you such a big fan who always wishes only good for Sushant nothing else is not to able watch ghor kalug! 

Now how will you spend time? πŸ˜• Let me guess  by spamming, ranting on most relevant things of Sushant. πŸ˜Š

u seem to be my fan go ahead darlingπŸ˜† 
Timepassss thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
so the movies going housefull there too     gud  very gud...
n srry for u   ...