Story: Wilted| Chapter 3 Forgotten Puzzles|Page 7

-Dee- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
Prologue

When she was twelve,

The sky was a husky shade of pink with patches of violet announcing the world about the setting of the twilight of the day. The roof of the Sharma House was alight with activities. The youngsters were spread around the expanse of the terrace. Some chains of flowers to hang from the balustrade and the more responsible ones were dealing with the fairy lights - blue and white. Who would gather from their size that together those little tubes filled with helium were capable of lighting up diwali more brightly, beautifully and safely then the firecrackers.

'Bhai, can I help with the fairies please.?' she looked up at her brother with a hopeful expression. 'No.' Her brother snapped at her. 'But Riya is also helping,' She tried to debate albeit a little discouragingly. 'Uff! You know aren't capable of handling responsibilities. Go and switch on the lights from downstairs. Run along now.'  She ran downstairs with a film of tears blurring her vision.

~~~~~~~~

When she was seventeen,

Olive is an upscale restaurant in town. Table number five was a little messy. And one cannot expect any more than that from teenage girls out on a birthday bash. They were talking loudly and they were whispering harshly. They were giggling at themselves and they were mocking others. She too was a part of the crowd, she too was smiling but there was a dark light in her eyes which conveyed the half-pretense and the half-euphoria. She picked up her fork and knife to cut into the piece of tofu when she saw the girl across from her, whispering in her neighbours ears - hollow whispers of contempt and pretence.

'Such an intimidating and condescending bitch.' 

Yet again she was subdued by a choke in her throat and betrayal. She couldn't dance and she wasn't social. How was she a bitch?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she is twenty-two,

The granite of the wash room feels cold. Why was it difficult to accept a fact even when one has come to understand it? She wanted to do nothing but go to sleep, right there on the floor. She wanted to fall in a deep, wrath infused slumber until the hatred consumed her dreams and became a reality. She wanted to lie down on the cloudy-blurred-patterned floor and allow the iciness to engulf her in its embrace. Ironically, though her cotton pyjamas were drenched in sweat. She could feel the beads in hollow between breasts. The tears seeped down her cheeks, allowing a feeling more than chagrin and self-loathing to take over herself. She could not devise if it was her envy or the never ending non social attitude.

πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by -Dee- - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

...Doctor... thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Copy paste karoon? πŸ€”

Edit:

This was heart wrenching D. Poor girl, everybody treats her like this just because she's not a party animal, just because she is non-social. I felt bad, really bad for Riya. But to be honest we all behave like that with such people at some point of time. I am not saying that we are this harsh but we tend to react differently. I'll always remember this before behaving inappropriately with such people so Thank you, you taught me a lesson.

Now let's talk about your writing. I've said this before & I'll say it again, you write flawlessly. The flow is so perfect. The concept is intriguing & I would love to know how you'll carry this forward. In short I'd love to read the next part 

One thing I'd like to mention is that the last scene had me in tears, beautifully described. I felt the pain, the sadness, the anger coursing through her. Brilliant D!

Edited by ...Doctor... - 11 years ago
sweetdesire thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Woww Dee

A new story from you

Love the Prologue

Looking forward to read more

So do Post first part soon

Thanks for the PM

Take care

Love

Geet

Edited by sweetdesire - 11 years ago
Rasgulla_sp thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
R

Edited:

I feel for the poor girl. Shunned by friends and family? Why? She seems to be a nice soul. Being misunderstood and underestimated all her life has broken the poor soul.

But your writing is perfect. Every alphabet and word in order. A 17 year old shouldn't be so perfect πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by Rasgulla_sp - 11 years ago
gypsy thumbnail
reserving Heroine Hiralal :-P... using my cell so I'll edit this as soon as I get my lappy back.

one suggestion: use Minz fabulous way to relieve yourself when you feel u r under stress :-P
Anzie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2

That was really really interesting <3 I loved the prologue and the way you wrote it <3 Looking forward to reading more….
Edited by Anzie - 11 years ago
sj_arhi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
This was an interesting piece Dee. The girl in picture sounds handicapped the way expresses her inability to dance. Her own brother snubs her as incapable of managing responsibilities. The fact that people shun her probably makes her unsociable. Life seems unfair till now and my heart goes out to her. Do continue. 
UltimateWishes thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Loved It ...spoke of true emotion and screamed out sadness 

Beautiful ...I would love to read more πŸ˜Š

Ameres thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
That was extremely beautiful writing and very touching. Is being anti-social such a curse? If a person likes being with himself or finds peace in solitude why is it seen as such a big problem? Why can't people just accept people different from them? 
Really these things annoy me because...guess I'm kind of anti social too. Khair, this is a very interesting topic and don't remember ever reading something on it before so glad you are writing on it. :)

Once again, amazing writing from you. Please do continue, would like to know this girl's story. :))
LoveToLaugh thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Heya! πŸ˜³

You writing a short story and me super excited! I loved the prologue. I am generally all for stories about misunderstood protagonists and then you wrote this so well! She is twenty two and nobody understands her. That's sad. But it also lends her character a very intriguing shape. 

A prologue is not supposed to give away too much. And it doesn't.. By the end, I knew that you have very carefully given away only the surface. And there is much more to this. And I don't think it is all about the non-social attitude either. And hence, I will be eagerly waiting for the next update because I'd like to read how you take this forward.

And while I felt this was different from your other works in terms of concept, it had all your trademarks. Your ability to take a moment and just breathe life into it. It was evident especially in the last paragraph. I love the way you write.

Expecting an update pretty soon. πŸ˜‰

Tanisha

P.S. "Wilted" seems just the right title for this. A big thumbs up for it. πŸ‘πŸΌ