Vijay Sethupathi interview :TOI

PutijaChalhov thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 11 years ago
'I WAS REJECTED EVEN FOR THE ROLE OF A JUNIOR ARTIST'

Vijay Sethupathi opens up to CT on his struggle and his life after success

Janani Karthik

Vijay Sethupathi, the man who got noticed with the recent hits Pizza and Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kanom may earn in lakhs after his success. But 250 was his first salary in films. Vijay tells us his story.
What were you doing before Pizza happened?
"I was a junior artist before my debut. I was part of the 'atmosphere' in crowded scenes. You can spot me in the crowd in M Kumaran S/O Mahalakshmi in the boxing sequence. Later, I did a small role in Pudhupettai. I have played the role of the hero's friend in a few films. All I wanted was to just be a part of the shoot. My father is a civil engineer. I knew nobody in films. I was a belowaverage student right from school. I was not interested in either sports or extra-curricular activities. I didn't know what I was going to do. After working as an accountant for three years, I got bored with that job. I wanted to try films then. I have been in films since 2004."
With no background in films, you must have struggled…
Nothing is easy in cinema. I used to leave my photos with production companies. Even assistant directors didn't receive them. I was even rejected for the role of a junior artist in a film. I was replaced by somebody else at the last moment in many roles. But nothing stopped me from trying for an opportunity. I was determined to become a hero at least in serials. After repeated trials, I got my first opportunity as a hero in Thenmerku Paruvakkatru.
How did Pizza happen?
I used to regularly leave my photographs in the film institute. I got to work with Karthik Subburaj in many of his short films and then he approached me for Pizza.
What transformation have your recent hits brought in?
I am able to listen to stories. Earlier, I didn't have this freedom… of knowing the script. But now I can. Now the audience has come to know that there is hero called Vijay Sethupathi in Tamil films. My dream is to work on interesting films which can later be termed as a Vijay Sethupathi collection.
There are rumours about you demanding a big sum now…
I demand stories not money. I was paid reasonably for Pizza and NKPK. But for such brilliant scripts I didn't expect money.
What kept you going during your early struggle?
The photographs that were clicked by Balu Mahendra. I like posing for photographs. Once, I approached the legendary director to take some photographs. He did it despite me being a nobody at that time. Those pictures kept reminding me that I can become a hero one day.

Vijay Sethupathi