Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Reeti- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
I don't know whether this is allowed or not.. but what actually i wanted to share was this..
As i thought to share some proper infos about Durga Puja..and was being lazy to type so many things.. πŸ˜† So I collected these from Wiki itself.. so sorry if its not allowed.. but the actual one is here only in wiki 😊 if its not allowed to collect data from Wiki then lemme know in pm.. i will edit it 

History of Durga Puja in Odisha

Durga Puja is a festival, which is observed for 10 days. The Durga Puja is celebrated in two different ways in Odisha. In Shakti peethas (temples of goddess) the Durga Puja is observed with proper rituals for 16 days, starting from Krishnapaksha Ashtami to Shukla paksha Navami of the Hindu Odia Calendar, known as Shodasa dinatmak Upachara. The Goddess Durga is also worshiped by devotees in different pendals in form deities[clarification needed] across the state. The pendals are usually decorated beautifully.

According to Markandeya Purana, a King of the Chedi dynasty, Suratha, started the rituals of Durga Puja in 300B.C. The Chedi dynasty ruled in Kalinga (modern Orissa). Durga Puia has different names in different Puranas and Sastras. In Devi Purana and Kalika Purana it is named as Vijaya Dashami. It is named as Mahaparbana in Devi Mahatmya and Duseehera in Markandeya Purana.
At present

The present form of worshipping Durga, with an earthen idol in Orissa, was started during the reign of Ganga King Chodaganga Dev in the 11th century at Puri. The earthen idol of Mahishamardini Durga is known as Gosani and the Dussehra fesival is known as Gosani Yatra. It is noteworthy that the co-worship of Mahisamardini Durga with Madhava (Lord Jagannath) is prevalent from the 11th century, the Ganga period, in Puri.

It is said that in the years 1512 to 1517 Chaitanya Deva had come to Cuttack, the capital of Gajapati empire of Orissa, and the then emperor Gajapati Pratap Rudra Dev received him at Gadagadia Ghata, situated near the river bank of the Mahanadi very close to the kings Palace, popularly known as Barabati Fort. In that year Sri Chaitanya Deva started Durga puja at Binod Bihari temple, presently known as Balu Bazar.

The earliest known Durga Puja, being conducted continuously at the same venue anywhere, is in Orissa, and is about 400 years old. This started after the Ghosh Mahashaya family migrated from Kotarang, near Howrah, to settle down at Rameswarpur in Bhadrak district of the state. They came along with Todarmal during his famed survey of India and brought the tradition of Sharadiya Durga Puja to Orissa.
Durga Puja Rituals

The festival of Durga Puja starts with Mahalaya, the first phase of the waxing moon in Aswin. Thousands offer prayers to their ancestors at the city's river banks or secred ponds, a ritual called Tarpana. The inauguration of the Goddess idol starts on Mahashasthi. The main puja is for three days - Mahasaptami, Mahaastami, Mahanavami. The puja rituals are long and very detailed and complicated. Three days of Mantras and Shlokas and Arati and offerings - needs an expert priest to do this kind of Puja. Because of this, the number of Pujas privately conducted by families has lessened and Durga Puja has emerged as a community festival.

Mahashashthi
On this day Goddess Durga arrives to the mortal world from her heavenly abode, accompanied by her children. She is welcomed with much fanfare amidst the beat of traditional drums. Unveiling the face of the idol is the main ritual on this day. Bel Baran or Kalaparambho, the ritual performed before the commencement of the puja, precedes Chakhyu Daan, Amontron and Adibas.
Chandi Temple in Cuttack Odisha on the day of Sashti

Mahasaptami
Saptami is the first day of Durga Puja. A tiny banana plant, or Nabapatrika, is given a pre-dawn bath. This is an ancient ritual of worshiping nine types of plants. They are together worshiped as a symbol of the goddess. The main Saptami Puja follows Kalparambho and Mahasnan.
Mahaastami
The day begins with a recital of Sanskrit hymns, in community puja pandals, as thousands of devotees offer anjali to the goddess. Kumari Puja, or the worship of little girls as the child goddess, was a special part of the rituals observed in a number of traditional and household pujas. As the day continues, it is time for the important Sandhi Puja, which marks the inter-linking of the Maha Ashtami and Maha Navami. In recent times the Boiti-Kakharu (Pumpkin) sacrifice replaced animal sacrifice in various parts of the state. The Oriya women of western Orissa and adjoining Chattisgarh celebrate Bhaijiutia on the Mahastami Day of Durga Puja. It is a total fast undertaken by women for the whole day and night to seek Goddess Durga's blessing for the long life of their bhais (brothers).
Mahanavami
This is the concluding day of Durga Puja. The main Navami Puja begins after the end of Sandhi Puja. The Navami Bhog is offered to the goddess. This is later partaken of as prasad by the devotees. In the day of Navami the Oriya households organise Navami Bhoji (Navami feast) and invite friends, relatives. In this day they prepare typical Oriya delicasies (both vegetarian and non-vegetarian items).
Vijaya Dashami or Dussehra
After the three days of Puja, in Dashami, on the last day, after the last ritual Aparajita Puja is offered to the Goddess, a tearful farewell is offered to her. The women offer Dahi-Pakhal (cooked rice soaked in water and curd), Pitha (baked cake), Mitha (sweets) and Fish fry to the goddess. Most of the community pujas prolong the farewell as long as possible, and arrange a grand send-off. The images are carried in processions known as Bhasani Jatra or Bisarjan Jatra around the locality and finally are immersed in a nearby river or lake. Vijoya Dashami is an event celebrated all over India. After the immersion of the idol, people across the state celebrate "Ravan Podi" (they burn the huge idol of Demon Ravana)

Thanks
Riti😊

Edited by rlrl - 11 years ago
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
@riti, good info. Chandi  Devi looks powerful in pic.
-Reeti- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
@Meenu... thanks sweety ... yaa actly the pic which i have shown.. this temple is there since the british phase.. very old Temple.. 😊
flamingo_aries thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
A very Happy Navratri to all the forum members.

posting here is Vishwambhari Stuti.Its  in Gujarti.A very meaningful stuti.Hope u'll all enjoy.😊

Vishvambhari akhil vishwa tani janeta, Vidhya dhari vadanma vasajo vidhata;Door-budhhine door kari sad-buddhi apo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.(O Mother which resides in the whole universe, The one who resides within me in the form of knowledge; Destroy the ignorance that exists, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist).

Bhulo padi bhavarane bhataku Bhavani, Suzhe nahi lagir koi disha javani; Bhaase bhayankar vali man na utapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.( I am lost in this world and alone I search for my path, I cannot reach my destiny;Flames of fear awaken in my mind, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Aa rankne ugarava nathi koi aaro, Janmaand chhu Janani hu grahi bai taro; Naa shu suno tripuswari shishu naa vilapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.(This man does not have a clue how to succeed, I'm an earthling of which you are my only mother;Hear the cries of this child, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Maa karma janma kathni karta vicharu, Aa shrishtima tuj vina nathi koi maru; Kone kahu katthan yog tano balaapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.(I think about my deeds and doings in this birth, And in this world I have no one other than you; Whom I can share my pains with which burn within me, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Hoon kaam, krodh, madh moh thaki chhakelo, Aadambare ati ghano madthi bakelo;dosho thaki dushit na kari maaf paapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.(I'm filled with love, anger, lust and desire, My mouth utters horrible words;Look at my faults and forgive me my sins, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Naa shaashtrana shravan nu paipaan kidhu, naa mantra ke stuti katha nathi kai kidhu; Shradhha dhari nathi karya tav naam jaapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.(I haven't read the scriptures nor have I listened to them being recited ,I haven't sung your hymns or read about your reality; I haven't chanted your name with  love at the fullest, 

Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Re re Bhavani bahu bhool thayi je mari, Aa zindagi thai mane atishe akaari;Dosho prajaali sagara tava chhaap chhapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavathi Bhava dukha kapo.(Oh Oh Mother I have made so many mistakes, I feel my life is worthless; Take me to the right path before I err again, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Khaali na koi sthal chhe vina aap dharo, Bhrahmandma anu-vanu  mahi vaas taro; Shakti na maap ganava agneeta mapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.(There is no such place in which you do not reside, You are omnipotent and omnipresent in the whole universe; There is no way one can understand your everlasting power, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Paape prapanch karva badhi vaate puro, Khoto kharo Bhagwathi pann hoon tamaro; Jadyandhakaar door kari sad-budhhi aapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.( Before I sin again, please tell me, I'm an ignorant child but still I'm yours; Make me realize the mistakes I have made, a glowing light of knowlege in the darkness, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Sheekhe sune Rasik Chandaj ekk chitte, Tena thaki trivividhh taap talek khachite; Vadhe vishesh vali Amba tana prataapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavathi Bhava dukha kapo.(Whoever listens and learns your hymns with dedication and a constant mind,May their fears and worries burn away; One who awakens realises and experiences your love, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Shri sad-guru na charanma rahine ye ju chhu, Raatri dine Bhagwathi tujne namu chhu; Sad-bhakt sevak tana paritaap chaapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavathi Bhava dukha kapo.(I am meditating on you at the feet of my spiritual guider, Day and night I recite your name; Accept me as your true disciple and take me, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

Antar vishe adhik urmi thata Bhavani, Gaun stuti tava bale namine mrugaani;  Sansaarna sakal rog samoola kapo, Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo. Maampaahi Om Bhagavati Bhava dukha kapo.(I am so attached to this body O mother, When I sing your hymns I bend and bow down to you; Destroy all the roots of the pains that exist, Surrender O mother in the form of 'aum' destroy all the pains that exist.)

*Anybody plz embed the player as  i am unable to do so

Edited by flamingo_aries - 11 years ago
.Reshama. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Happy navratri to all..😊
dhwani. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Happy Navratri to all. You guys are just superb thanx for such a beautiful info and the vishwanbari stuti is so divine that its sung after the aarti thanx for sharing that too.
Vr15h thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: samana17

Actually my holidays just started n its festive season so I am usually not at home n if I am I m pretty busy. This will go on for a month till diwali so...I m not even getting time to watch tv😭😭

That's why.

Samana

You have 15 days of holiday - meaning whole of Navratri through Dushain and then right up to what we Bongs celebrate as Lakshmi Puja (which is a week after Vijaya Dashami)?  Or is it the whole month right upto Diwali?  Must be fun, being in Nepal 
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

There are additional references according to which Mahishasura was not as evil as his popular portrayal. He was a one of the greatest devotees of mata Shakt iDurga. Devi is mother of all. She is the power which drives the Universe. When she saw her greatest creation Devas are becoming corrupted by their endless power, she summoned her greatest devotee and gave him power to defeat Devas. Devi wanted to teach devas a lesson and bring them back from verge of fall.She asked Mahishasura that if he worship her in form of Enemy then he will gain the Punya of his thousand life of devotion. Mahishasura agreed and took birth as a demon. He was powerful by devi Durga's power from beginning.But he gained a boon from Brahma that made him invulnerable to men of any species. When devas tried to fight Mahishasura they realized that he alone has the power of all of them. Their powers lost its specialty against him as he withheld power of Devi Durga. Defeated they ran here and there for hundreds of years and understood that they were nothing without their power Shakti. So they met together and put all their specialty and power together. From this power Devi Durga took form (Remember she is Adya Shakti Devas did not created her they just summoned her). Devas worshiped Devi Durga and she promised them to give their heaven back. When Mahishasura saw her he understood that he can never win against her. But he kept his Ashura dharam and fight her with all his power.At the end when he took a Muscular man form Devi caught him with her pash (A magical rope) and pierced his heart with trident. Before dying the Asura worshiped Goddess Durga and Devi granted him a boon that he will be worshiped with her till end of time. So whenever we see Devi durga is being worshiped we also see Mahishasura is standing under her feet pierced by trident at chest.

Brahmaputra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Lemme share a little about the most auspicious and the oldest temple, in fact the temple which is considered to be the mother temple of all temples, The Mookaambika Temple, Kollur, Karnataka.

It was during 4th Treta yuga of 3rd Manwantara, Mahishaasura troubled the earth. Since till then Devi has not taken any Pratyaksha Bhava he has asked the boon of being killed only by a lady who has no origin and end, as he thought such a thing was impossible. Later Devi Mahalakshmi, the personification of the eternal truth and power, emerged out from the whole universe.

As it was impossible for the earth to bear her power when she keeps her foot over earth, the Trimoortis- Brahma, Vishnu, Maheshwara- took themselves a for of a divya linga and appeared at a place which is considered to be the Kundalini Shakti point on earth so that the Trimurtis will be able to support the earth through its Kundalini. As Devi Mahalakshmi kept her foot on linga, it has got a crack in golden colour. Later Devi fought Mahishasura and slayed him. And upon being prayed by all, Devi Mahalakshmi offered her permanent presence in the Divya Linga in the form of a self originated Shri Chakra. All devatas including Trimurtis agreed to do her daily poojas also. This divine forest became famous as Ambaavana and Mahaaranya.!

Later a sage by name Kola Rishi, who also was an ardent Shiva devotee reached the place and started worshipping Devi Mahalakshmi. Upon blessed by Shiva, the place became famous as Kolapura (Kolluru in current Kannada)

The Nephew of Mahishasura, Kamhaasura was intelligent enough who started doing Tapas of Devi Mahalakshmi instead of Brahma as he found Brahma's boons less powerful. Devi blessed him with a boon that he will be defeated and killed only by Devi herself, that too only when Kamhaasura himself wishes her to do. The arrogant Asura captured whole world. Nobody could oppose him as he was not ready to wish for his death or defeat by Devi.

But however he couldn't touch Ambaavana and catch Kola Maharshi who was protecting all Devatas, due to the power of Divya Linga having the self-originated Shri Chakra. For that purpose, he started worshipping Lord Shiva. All became afraid again for he had got boons from Shakti and there will be the end of everything if he gets boons from Shiva. All devatas cried for Devi's help. As soon as Lord Shiva appeared to Kamhaasura, Devi Mahalakshmi appeared on his tongue as Vikata Saraswati making Kamhaasura dumb(mooka). He couldnt ask any boon. So Shiva disappeared and he got his speech back. This incident made Kamhaasura famous as Mookasura. Later Devi fought with him. Finally for the Jagad Kalyaana, Ambika removed her Maaya from Mookasura. Then he realised his mistakes and the enourmous amount of sin he did. Completely remorsing on his acts, he asked the Goddes to give mukti to him and give mukti to the world from him. Pleased by this Devi promised him that she will be known by his name and he will be known as her ardent devotee and gave him mukti. By this incident , Devi was known as Mookaambika.

Though this was known to everyone, Ambaavana stayed untouched by humans by the virtue of Indra who wanted no distrubances during daily poojas all devatas did to the Devi. But during 8th cent, Adi Shankaracharya with his inner eye witnessed all devatas including Trimoortis worshipping a Divya Linga in Amba vana. Later pleased by his Tapas, devi Mookaambika appeared to him and blessed the whole mankind that she will be present there in a form that can be seen to everyone. And Shankaracharya installed a four-armed idol of Devi there and temple has been built.

The current idol, seen sitting in padmaasana, with four arms bearing Chakra-Shankha, Abhaya-Varada mudras was installed by Adi Shankara during 8th cent AD. This is the only temple outside which has been visited by maximum number of Keralites. Kollur was a part of Kerala in olden times. Now it is in Karnataka. The tradition of Saraswati Pooja during Navaratri in Kerala might be based on the fact that Devi Mahalakshmi advised her Brahmavidya to devatas here in the temple, where current Sararwati Mandapa can be seen. Also this temple is the only one which does worship of Jagadambika in her original, transcedental form, according to Vaidika Sampradaya of Worship contrary to popular Aagama Sampradaya which prevails everywhere. Still it is believed that all devatas including Trimurtis do worship of Mookambika Devi every midnight and many divine things daily happening in the Temple Garbha Griha confirm this. I do not wish to strech this more stopping here. There are more stories about Devi Mookaambika, which I may share some time later.

NOTE- the stories of Mahishasura and Mookasura I wrote are based on a book I read which claims it is told in Brahmanda Purana and Skanda Purana. As I've not read them, I'm not sure about its validity. Sorry 4 mistakes
ramki1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Happy Navaratri to all...