No Wig for Gagan Malik!

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago

Wigs have a way of taking away from authenticity … fake hair is, after all, fake hair! Ask any actor and he or she will testify as to how clumsy, inconvenient and itchy wigs can get! So, the charismatic Gagan Malik who is extremely focused on getting his look right for his new role of Lord Ram in Zee TV's Ramayan has decided to grow out his wavy locks and bid his wig  'Goodbye'! Naturally, Gagan's portrayal of Ram comes  with a great deal of responsibility. He must look the part, walk the talk and above all, emerge as a role model for a whole generation that will now watch him as Ram.  

The Delhi-bred former Mr. India contestant is leaving no stone unturned in ensuring that he gets his act right for Ramayan. It is interesting to note that Gagan has decided to give up on non-vegetarian food and control his temper at all times as he plays Ram. He believes imbibing Ram's virtues in his personal lifestyle will go a long way in portraying him on screen. Is he reading up on the Ramcharitmanas? He doesn't need to. Gagan has grown up listening to his mother's countless stories from the Ramayan every single day. Landing the role of Ram has come as a dream come true for Gagan's mother who has read the Ramayan more than 200 times! The staunch Ram devotee that she is, Gagan's mother has written the name 'Ram' over 2 crore times in her diaries. Thanks to his mother's devotion to Lord Ram, he has internalized the intricate nuances of the epic without having to even read it.

In terms of sheer physicality, he is already in the ideal form required to play Ram. He is lean and athletic without looking too 'gym trained'. Gagan adds, "In fact, it helps that there isn't a great gym in Baroda where we shoot. It encourages me to perform the kind of basic and ethnic forms of exercise that were prevalent centuries ago. I do the surya namaskar, dand-baithak, perform hath yoga and run extensively post pack-up. This doesn't create a contemporary, model-like look attained by hours spent lifting weights in the gym! It gives me the robust appearance required of the heroic prince I play" 

And what is the kind of response he's getting on the show so far? Gagan says, ""The show has opened up to a very positive response. I was inundated with calls on the day my first promo just revealing my silhouette as Ram went on air. People seem to have loved the way our characters were kept away from media glare for the longest time and then unveiled dramatically. The make-up team must also be commended for beautifully recreating the looks of all the characters. The authenticity of the sets, the first-rate cinematography and the catchy visual effects only add sheen to the content. We are working hard to showcase this epic in a manner that gets families to sit together on a Sunday morning and learn from it, besides being entertained...wish us luck!" 

Even Gurmeet Choudhary grew out his hair for the role. It's true that that looks most natural.😊 TRPs of Ramayan have been dropping since the first week though, so the story should pick up pace if it wants to interest viewers in the weekend.
That's true and i'm waiting for Sita to enter 😳
Originally posted by Visha_Dhami

That's true and i'm waiting for Sita to enter 😳

I guess we will not see her until swayamvar time, because this show is trying to imitate the origina Ramayan of 1986, and Sita didn't appear until Ramji returned from Gurukul and left with Vishvamitra. In AS Ramayan, they showed baby Sita's birth and childhood alongside Ramji's.
Wow, how long do you think will they take to show the Swayamwar? 😕
Originally posted by Visha_Dhami

Wow, how long do you think will they take to show the Swayamwar? 😕

I don't know, but in the 1986 Ramayan, Sita made her entrance after Ram and Lakshman left with Vishvamitra, and that too it was a 1-2 minute scene. Then she didn't come back until Ram entered Mithila and saw Sita in the pushp vatika.

Since this is a new mytho, and new mythos tend to focus on the romantic aspect of our epics more than the old ones did, we may see Sita sooner. I cannot say.😳 But I'm watching all these episodes for Neha only. I'm curious to see how she is as Sita.😆
Same, even i'm waiting to see how she plays Sita after seeing her in PV 😊
yes its a good decision..nautral looks are much better than these wigs...
i wish Gagan all the best..from the bottom of my heart I want him to click as Ram.😊
He looks good in the promo. Second episode had decent TRP , for the third episode it went down...am sure once the story develops TRP will go high.

Edited by nneeiill - 11 years ago
Yes, lets see what happens this week where Ram and brothers are back to Ayodya 😊