Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: chatbuster

afford equal opportunity to both sides of the argument? good stuff. am all for it, provided we do have both sides appear with real, not fake, identities and talk things out openly and with proper decorum. That to my mind usually means not attacking members in personal ways, unless i am wrong. also as long as criticism of someone's idol is not construed as "reeking of regionalism". and as long as we realize that there are far worse things in life than a joke about "ducks" which actually is related to the game of cricket. what's worse? imo, some of the really bawdy stuff (such as "stiff" etc). even the dhobi ka ghat for dhoni, and the gadha for gajendra singh, lines. the latter fwiw can actually be seen as casting names in an ethnically negative way. also, slinging personal info back at someone ceases to be fun after a while, especially when repeatedly used in a mocking off-topic way. what does a member's financial background have to do with the thread? someone also expressed "hurt" over a fairly light-hearted phrase used in response to their post. sorry, they felt hurt? nothing on the attacks that went on on another person? would that be a case of selective hurting?

without that kind of understanding, i am not sure i want to participate in the "discussion". cant be bothered listening to people who cant even stand up without fake IDs. if they cant have the courage of their convictions to come out in the open, then that's not exactly who i would want to deal with on an intellectual level. silly me no? 😊

well-said rahul!

The thread under fire  was closed earlier by another dev team member but not one of us complained of personal attacks.  We all took the attacks and let it go.  However, only when a Dev Team member showed up to clean several other posts and language, this thread got re-opened.
We should thank a diligent and efficient Dev Team member to keep the forum sanctity.  But instead, fellow-posters find it troublesome.  It amazes me how personal attacks on others are okay.  ( somebody who has not contribued a penny worth of though came straight up and asked me the weight of sachin's bat.  Do I look like someone obsessing over othern men and their belongings?? πŸ˜†πŸ˜† why would I know the weight of sachin's bat?  πŸ˜†πŸ˜†)  Personal attacks are low.
Even in the post above, I have been called lier, and in the next paragraph, I have become a person with uncontrolled urge to speak truthπŸ˜†πŸ˜†  , and then there is a description of you and me and things we do on forum desribed in one line too hard to remeber at 12.15 am πŸ˜†πŸ˜† 
It amazes me that there can be individuals who wish to be on the forum, yet disregard all the rules that maintain forum-decorum 😳😳 .  We should really ignore unless they have logical reasoning and a promise of stopping personal attacks πŸ˜•.
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

lets cut through your normal theatrics and evasion with goebellish asides shall we ... you know very well it was me eggy as cardamom and if you could prevail upon the dev team member to be fair and reopen that thread we shall duke it out on that thread ...until then how about less verbiage for once .. i know you dont spend ink money to scribe on here but it bothers me to read alliterative stuff that doesnt even empasise what you seem to want to say in first place and it appears as if you are trying to befuddle the readers with drivel not germane to the main grouse we both had against our respective posts .. Really if that thread  is opened up again you will with your available intellect once and for all see the error in your ways .. 

Eggo, count the number of personal attacks here. πŸ˜•
What is going on?

MNMS thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

lets cut through your normal theatrics and evasion with goebellish asides shall we ... you know very well it was me eggy as cardamom and if you could prevail upon the dev team member to be fair and reopen that thread we shall duke it out on that thread ...until then how about less verbiage for once .. i know you dont spend ink money to scribe on here but it bothers me to read alliterative stuff that doesnt even empasise what you seem to want to say in first place and it appears as if you are trying to befuddle the readers with drivel not germane to the main grouse we both had against our respective posts .. Really if that thread  is opened up again you will with your available intellect once and for all see the error in your ways ..

Viewbie's Note: Due to innumerable personal attacks, I have no option but to raise your warning level. It is my humble request to you to please be polite on the forum. If your behaviour improves, we will lower your warning level.

DM Dev Team.

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Thank you for putting up the note Maryam.

Friends, lets remember that each poster has a view and is expressing his/her opinion, no matter how unpalatable. If the expression is put in a wrong fashion which we beleive is not condusive to the kind of atmosphere that is inducive of cordiality and participation of members of all ages and gender group on India Forums, such posts shall be removed and members warned.

Please do not make it a platform to vent out personal grudges.Now please continue with the posting. And discuss the topic, NOT the members. The only concern should be what they think and put across your points in a civil manner to counter those. Any posts having dubious phrases, direct or indirect attack, trolling, sexual innuendos will be removed as soon as we come to know of it

Thank you.

IF Dev Team.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Sareg, I have enjoyed debating with you.

Internet is risky business not only for children but also for adults. There are certain chat sites, which have lesser stringent rules and more freedom. Often, the signing age for such online sites is 18 and over. 

However, there are also places such as IF, where we laugh at and enjoy a casual flirt chat which is not objectionable. I partially agree with you point on why members other than DEV TEAM should not be policing. Often times, members think that as adults, they could resolve certain matters w/o running to dev team.
Dev team is not paid for their work here. They volunteer too!! Can we not act like adults and follow rules?

No self-employed moral police will make their own set of rules. Most of the times, they will ask others to stick to forum rules. In fact, they will also provide links to Dr AS's forum rules thread (The most over-ruled lately is the language rule) If a moral police (someone requesting posters to follow rules) ruins the fun most other people are having as you suggested somewhere earlier, then perhaps they are the ones at the wrong forum, not the moral police! If the forum rules are followed, there will be no offensive chat and everybody can enjoy the little flirting, the little chat and a whole lot of idea-sharing. I have gone overboard describing my lack of like for extramariatl sexual chatting and will not repeat like a broken record. Those latter in particular are just my views and they are not forced on anyone, since forum code does not speak of them. It is one's own choice what they do with their time and life!

I am existing this thread now. I have accepted and always shared many of your views. I have strong negative feelings about certain behavioursince some rules define and guide who I am as a member of IF and member of society.
I hope you understand where I was coming from and that I have tried not to offend anyone.  Apologies if you felt otherwise.

Apologies to MODS and MNMS for the intervention that was required. I did not intend that while posting my views on INTERNET FLIRTING. 
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

Sareg, I have enjoyed debating with you.

Internet is risky business not only for children but also for adults. There are certain chat sites, which have lesser stringent rules and more freedom. Often, the signing age for such online sites is 18 and over. 

We treat all members on the website as equals, age does not make a person mature

However, there are also places such as IF, where we laugh at and enjoy a casual flirt chat which is not objectionable.To you, for someone else it might be objectionable, that is the point here, it is everyone's defination, those are personal limits

I partially agree with you point on why members other than DEV TEAM should not be policing. Often times, members think that as adults, they could resolve certain matters w/o running to dev team.

That exactly is the point, everyone in a discussion is to be treated equal, when one trys to be adult and teach others how to be adults, they are infact putting another one down, no-one comes to the internet to listen to moral sermons, everyone has opinions, when one indulges in an act of flirting, they expect mature behaviour from everyone, the opposite party as well as bystanders, if you read my initial post carefully, that is what I said, the people flirting are on a wavelength, the moral police is the one who is unable to scale up to that wavelength, that is that moral police's fault!!

Dev team is not paid for their work here. They volunteer too!! Can we not act like adults and follow rules?

certainly, treat everyone fairly, that is where the moral police forget their responsiblity as mature adults and act like jealous crybabies, they dont have that much of moral aptitude to understand what is fun for others and try to enforce it on others.

No self-employed moral police will make their own set of rules.

Actually , read over statement again, who is a moral police, it is their morals that are getting inflicted on others

Suppose you and me are chatting, someone else comes in and says hey you cannot have this discussion here or can say it, that is that persons moral that is speaking, that person is on a moral high and is trying to impose that on others, if we were straying from rules, they would have contacted the moderators!

Most of the times, they will ask others to stick to forum rules. In fact, they will also provide links to Dr AS's forum rules thread (The most over-ruled lately is the language rule)

And if you rememberr that was my point of contention with AS, I had brought that up with Abhi that it is a Dev Team member responsibility , or else you have a lot of ordinary people masquerading as (moral)cops, Think RSS, Think VHP this is exactly what we chide them for

If a moral police (someone requesting posters to follow rules) ruins the fun most other people are having as you suggested somewhere earlier, then perhaps they are the ones at the wrong forum, not the moral police!

We are not talking about rules here, if someone flirts and a website allows it, that is in the rules

If the forum rules are followed, there will be no offensive chat and everybody can enjoy the little flirting, the little chat and a whole lot of idea-sharing.

little is a subjective term again, little for you might be too much for someone else, when it is subjective, that is where the line gets stretched or contracted, there is a report button or a email to moderator, that is what this is supposed for, more often than not, I have seen people contracting it and creating a atmosphere of inequality amongst members, causing an unrest.

I have gone overboard describing my lack of like for extramariatl sexual chatting and will not repeat like a broken record.

no idea what that is all about but now you dont want to discuss it, but that implication in the statement is wrong

Those latter in particular are just my views and they are not forced on anyone, since forum code does not speak of them. It is one's own choice what they do with their time and life!

Right on, exactly the thing I am saying this entire conversation!!

I am existing this thread now. I have accepted and always shared many of your views. I have strong negative feelings about certain behavioursince some rules define and guide who I am as a member of IF and member of society.
I hope you understand where I was coming from and that I have tried not to offend anyone.  Apologies if you felt otherwise.

QT, My thoughts and not towards you personally but at people who act as moral police and my closing remarks on this topic

I have mentioned over and over, I do not like someone giving me or someone a sermon if you are not authorized to give on, zip it. If anyone wants moral lessons, they will open up their living room door and talk to their parents or significant other or elders.

If one has a problem with a conversation, report it to the moderator or exit the thread.

Dont be a spoilsport

Dont be a crybaby

Dont be creating an environment of inequality amongst fellow members.

That momentary unavailability of a moderator turns into a life-long nightmare for the administrators and distrust amongst members.

We dont come to internet to play politics and this is what it turns into.And I deal  with a lot of politics at my workplace. I personally am re-thinking my affiliation to IF, exactly due to this reason.

We all deal with that in real life and we come to internet to have some fun. What is the harm in considering everyone else as mature adults? Why think only I am the mature adult here? For someone flirting might be a release from whatever their tensions are, for someone discussing calmly might be a release of tensions, People come to internet to have fun, get away from regular things in life, some time away from Dada/Dadi and Ekta and their sermons!!

mermaid_QT thumbnail
I agree with all your closing remarks.

I think the moral policing we both are discussing is of different nature and I agree with your views. However, some people are bigger babies, when people press report butons at them πŸ˜†πŸ˜† so there is no win-win situation here with regards to maintaining forum decorum.

The implication of the statement about sexual chatting is related to all those offensive people who got caught in NBC's "PREDATORS" segments. You may check out youtube for that.
That was the very scenario in my mind when I started this argument πŸ˜• not IF, as I stated repeatedly in the thread wayyyy before it got personal? πŸ˜• 

I completely agree with all the belowπŸ‘

Originally posted by: SAREG

I have mentioned over and over, I do not like someone giving me or someone a sermon if you are not authorized to give on, zip it. If anyone wants moral lessons, they will open up their living room door and talk to their parents or significant other or elders.

If one has a problem with a conversation, report it to the moderator or exit the thread.

Dont be a spoilsport

Dont be a crybaby

Dont be creating an environment of inequality amongst fellow members.

That momentary unavailability of a moderator turns into a life-long nightmare for the administrators and distrust amongst members.

We dont come to internet to play politics and this is what it turns into.And I deal with a lot of politics at my workplace. I personally am re-thinking my affiliation to IF, exactly due to this reason.
(so are most of us)

We all deal with that in real life and we come to internet to have some fun. What is the harm in considering everyone else as mature adults? Why think only I am the mature adult here? For someone flirting might be a release from whatever their tensions are, for someone discussing calmly might be a release of tensions, People come to internet to have fun, get away from regular things in life, some time away from Dada/Dadi and Ekta and their sermons!!
this is what i partially agree with 😳.  Everyone is trying to have fun, not just you,  sexual diversion of every thread may take  fun away from many who equally share the web-space. There are dedicated websites for such fun.

thns for sharing views. See you in another thread.
TC
QTEdited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
Oblivion thumbnail
Well... I believe, ppl on net r here to enjoy and a if a bit of flirting helps them achieve that then y not.. How ever there is a limit to it, but that limit is unclear, there is no definite boundary as such........

BUt being 2 stringent just makes no sense though
MNMS thumbnail
Egghatcher, This matter is getting very serious! Please do not attack ANYONE on this forum. Otherwise we have to take some serious action

Like Minnie di said, everyone has their own views and we respect them all... But we will NEVER permit your method of attacking other members in a debate. We are not raising your warning levels and deactivating your Multiple IDs on the basis of your views, but on your incorrect and inappropriate method of debating.

Please take it very seriously.

DM dev team
Tumhari_Khushi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
I agree with MNMS. Please do NOT attack other members. Everyone has the right to express his POV, but there is a limit. 😊