Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: egghatcher

convenient selective policing is never a solution
it hides your faults and over exposes others that you may have an ulterior motive to bring to harm
besides CSP shows you in a very bad and immature light not necessarily on par with your wisdom and intellectual level .... I call it fangbaring session where you could compromise the person you seek such one sided redress from in the interest of satiating your vendetta urges
by you i dont point a finger at you. yes you .. i mean generally as you being one..
flirting is risking norms of the time ,, how it came to be linked homegenously with intersex bantering is another thread i hope..
πŸ˜‰

eggyji, could you please translate that in English.....😳

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

I dont think moral policing=caring,

I think that it is situation and individual-based.  I care for several of my jjkn friends who are silent readers here,  and I genuinely love them and would never want anyone of them in trouble because of internet predator.   Believe me I am not the only one who watches out for fellow IFians.  14 is young age! Sometimes, the damaging words could me subtle, confusing and unexpected.  If one thinks it is NOMB, they are right in their own mind 😳.  Ofcourse it is their parents's responsibility and ofcourse parents are doing their job right, but IMO, having an additional caring DI on web will not hurt them πŸ˜ƒ.

For me it gets to a level where one tells others not to do things, b'cos it is the wrong thing to do, and generally the answer to "why" is, this is how good kids behave, this is how my religion or my upbringing or my culture tells me.(People hid behind that garb when they have no other valid reasons, this is something they wanted to do in their time, but were told that religion/culture does not allow them to do it, that to a level is jealousy)

Policing is not about just telling children what is wrong and what is the limit of flirting.  It is about telling them that predators are out there and there are no indications of them, but one's own judgement. 

Sometimes, policing is also to remind your friends and yourself that they/ we could be unfortunately looking like a predator if we have  that repeated tone/ talk in a shared space πŸ˜³πŸ˜• -

For me that is wrong, in that time things were different, you cant apply situations from another generation to this one.
Many a times, kids would listen to that sermon out of respect of age.But it is going to PO that kid, it is like throwing gasoline on fire and that kid would want to do that thing more than anything and at that point the parent loses the child for no reason

I completely agree with all the above.  Vineet, I detest the word RESPECT for AGE thrown at me too πŸ˜†πŸ˜† !  and i would never police someone and use authority for being older.  But being caring and being wiser does give me the right in some occasions and by using an equal level of friendship and guidance, one never has to distance their kids / virtual YOUNG friends. 

Vineet, I never have any trouble understanding what you are trying to say.  Somehow, I was finding it hard to understand and I hope I have not offended anyone.  My apologies in that case. 

Thanks Tania!  I am glad we are all on the same page when it comes to virtual flirting and the evil it can become unless BOTH individuals and reposible and into it and move on to their own private space when the talk is more of an adult nature instead of making wrong impression of oneself in a public shared space - especially such as IF where posters in early teens are in big numbers πŸ˜ƒ
sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

Vineet, I never have any trouble understanding what you are trying to say.  Somehow, I was finding it hard to understand and I hope I have not offended anyone.  My apologies in that case. 

No offense taken

Thanks Tania!  I am glad we are all on the same page when it comes to virtual flirting and the evil it can become unless BOTH individuals and reposible and into it and move on to their own private space when the talk is more of an adult nature instead of making wrong impression of oneself in a public shared space - especially such as IF where posters in early teens are in big numbers πŸ˜ƒ

Predators are very discrete, one thing in common most of the conversation they have in public forum is extremely harmless, the ones in private messaging is the real thing

that is why I am against moral policing, that drives harmless conversation onto private messaging, where no-one has control but those two individuals and for underage children it is the riskiest thing

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Vineet,  I agree with you myself and hence said that some may think it is NOMB. I see why you would say that it is the duty of parents / mods. But when these are not around, I see nothing wrong in making a suggestion to see if majority would like such behaviour stopped.  If one can prove that majority finds the moral police wrong, then there is a reason to figure who is being oversensitive πŸ˜‰.

In your opinion, just as the self-professed moral police is being over-sensitive and supposed to ignore the dirty words and flirting comments, the poster of such comments can (almost always does in fact πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†) ignore the police/ or should report the police in turn for that 😳

Pressing report button multiple times against a poster making offensive / dirty remarks (which majority find distasteful and comment in PMs ) can only get the poster in trouble. Instead, if the moral police chooses to make it known to the poster, and the poster chooses to select audience, place and tone, I see no harm in trying that. It is being an adult instead of running to Dev team for every twisted or offensive word.

Regards RISKS of personal chatting, what can I say Vineet? I cannot agree more πŸ‘ πŸ‘ with you! Your parenting pointers are the right thing and there is only so much people other than parents can / should do when it comes to saving their friends from predators- who come in discrete fashion.

Additional Comment to clarify -  There is a THICK  line πŸ˜†πŸ˜† between funny flirting on web and making it more personal or of sexual nature.  I frankly support and even indulge in the former, while I have negative feelings regarding the LATTER in an Internet community where membership is open to children over 14.  That is when unasked-for-policing comes in.
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: tania.ganguly

Well said Vinit.Public discussions are more safer than private chat rooms. πŸ‘

Absolutely!  and the reason for that is the moral police and vigilant fellow chatters around πŸ˜‰
Hence private chat is the only logical option ( as opposed to public display of sexual flirting) for those adults who just cannot stop flirting of sexual nature in public chats,  whether others would like to imagine them in certain acts or not.. 
A kid invited to private chat is ALARMED adequately by the invitation itself and with great guidance from his / her parents, will never leave public forum and go private way, as Sareg mentioned already. πŸ‘

mermaid_QT thumbnail

I see the confision with the word ONLY and have corrected it accordingly in my previous post.  Thanks for bringing to my attention what it was projecting while wasn;t what i actually meant.

I myself have atleast 20 + male chatters on my messengers and excpet for one of them, I have no such ahem intentions πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†. 
It was obviously my blooper to use the word ONLY the way I did earlier and my sincere apologies.
IMO,  private is the ONLY logical option for people who cannot control themselves in a public forum with minors around.  I hope I clarified it now.
Thanks Eggo.  πŸ˜ƒ
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

u bet and welcome MQTji and totally appreciate your candor in coming forth with clarificationπŸ˜‰ 

That's right.  What's wrong is wrong and I am not afraid to admit it.  It was a typing blooper of the mind.  However, what does concern me a bit- is this feeling of mine- that some are taking it personally here 😳 (I hope & pray I am very wrong about it 😳😳😳).  Now there should be absolutely reason for that here!  
I am focussed basically on the "PREDATORS" on youtube.
ChameliKaYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tumhari_Khushi

Now what's your take on virtual flirting? Is it acceptable according to you?

Ooooh....la la......yea yea yea.....Bring it on.....Virtual or real....don't care....just bring it on and I promise to return bountiful favors....πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

What makes it different from real-life flirting?

That people don't get to see the revolting physiognomy of the flirtatious jerkπŸ˜†

Is it just a spice or can it be unhealthy as well? πŸ˜‰

It is my source of sustenance on this forumπŸ˜‰.....and a lot of people that I know ofπŸ˜‰......and I imbibe all the side effect with a pinch of "spice" which leaves my body with my morning motions...πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

What's your reaction if anyone would try to flirt with you online? 😊

Need I emphasize the need of my sustenance more?πŸ˜‰

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: tania.ganguly

QT,
A debate is a debate.
Some give their personal opinions and some debate it for the sake of the debate.
I am sure there are no hard feelings. πŸ˜ƒ
But in the George Clooney issue in the other post, it is 😑

well, sareg has always been a favorite debater of mine.  I would not doubt the quality of his debate ever and no one else got personal either.  i think the BIG FONT gives me a feeling of someone yelling πŸ˜³πŸ˜• . may be it was just that.  i am also glad that eggo saw the point after a brief blooper explanation there and kindly responded.

Clooney is alright.  I am not backing off on that.  he has never charmed me.. i am sorry!  but dont take offense there.  many women don;t like abhishek either πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜ƒ!  its okay! 

ChameliKaYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

well, sareg has always been a favorite debater of mine.  I would not doubt the quality of his debate ever and no one else got personal either.  i think the BIG FONT gives me a feeling of someone yelling πŸ˜³πŸ˜• . may be it was just that.  i am also glad that eggo saw the point after a brief blooper explanation there and kindly responded.

Clooney is alright.  I am not backing off on that.  he has never charmed me.. i am sorry!  but dont take offense there.  many women don;t like abhishek either πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜ƒ!  its okay! 

i am off for the long awaited weekend now.. see u guys monday.

What is this I am seeing here.....2 women fighting over ownership of one man is common.....but 2 women fighting over agreement to not fight over posession of one man....πŸ˜•....That's rare...πŸ˜†....but such are the material my friends Sharkbait and Tania are made of....rare..πŸ˜‰