YRF may use Salman Khan's Tiger 2 sell Srk starrer

Unconventional thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Yash Raj may use Salman Khan's Tiger to sell Shah Rukh starrer

Mumbai: Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan are two of Bollywood's ruling triumvirate of Khans, but there isn't much love lost between them. Now the Hindi film industry's most high-profile studio seems to be bringing them together, in a manner of speaking.

Yash Raj Films (YRF) will be releasing films this year from both stars and is using the drawing power of one in the country's smaller single-screen centres to sell the movie featuring the other in such territories, according to four people in the trade and aware of the development.

Salman Khan's brand of bare-chested machismo goes down a treat in the hinterland, an area where romantic hero Shah Rukh Khan could use a little muscular assistance. While marketing Salman Khan's Ek Tha Tiger, which releases on independence day, YRF is trying to convince single-screen theatre owners to pre-book its untitled Shah Rukh Khan starrer, set to hit the screens around Diwali.The move is aimed at widening Shah Rukh Khan's appeal outside the urban, multiplexes that form his core audience.

"Negotiations are on with YRF. Most single screens take a call depending on which other film releases during the same time," said a single-screen theatre owner who didn't want to be named. "In this case, YRF's Diwali release is pitched against Ajay Devgn and Sonakshi Sinha starrer Son of Sardar. This is where the decision is tricky for us since Ajay Devgn's films are successful with a mass audience."

Featuring Salman Khan as an Indian spy alongside Katrina Kaif, Ek Tha Tiger is the most expensive film ever made by the YRF banner with a budget estimated by film trade analysts at Rs.70-80 crore. Without mentioning a figure, Rafiq Gangjee, vice-president of marketing and communications at YRF, confirmed that it has the biggest budget for a film made by the production company.

"Single theatres are always excited about a Salman Khan movie and YRF is using this to its advantage to book the single screens for its Diwali release with Shah Rukh Khan," said one of the four persons cited above. None of the four wanted to be named.

YRF rejected the contention that the Shah Rukh Khan film, being directed by studio boss Yash Chopra and featuring Kaif and Anushka Sharma, would need any extra marketing boost.

"Exhibitors have been associated with YRF and our distribution offices for over 40 years and have shared a great relationship with us," said Gangjee. "All of them would be more than happy to screen a Yash Chopra film, which is coming after a gap of eight years, without any reservations." Chopra's last directorial venture was the 2004 release Veer-Zaara, which also starred Shah Rukh Khan and was a box-office hit.

"YRF is playing safe and it's the best deal they can get by pre-booking it on the might of Salman Khan's film," said Komal Nahta, film trade analyst. "Action genre films are the first choice of single-screen theatres. They would prefer screening Ajay Devgn's Son of Sardar over Shah Rukh Khan's romantic film because of the audience single screens cater to."

As per industry estimates, India has almost 10,000 movie screens, of which 3,000 are single screens; the rest are in multiplexes.

While high ticket prices mean a big chunk of box-office collections come from the multiplexes, "for action films starring Salman Khan or Ajay Devgn or Akshay Kumar almost 55% of the box-office collections come from single screens in smaller towns," said a distribution executive from a leading production company.

That's because producers and distributors pay a certain minimum amount to theatre owners to book halls. The money generated from ticket sales goes directly to the producer or distributor. Ek Tha Tiger's distribution is being handled by YRF itself and the company is therefore talking directly to exhibitors. In the case of multiplexes, the producer/distributor agrees to share revenue with the exhibitor on a weekly basis.

YRF doesn't want to miss out on single screens for its Diwali release with Son of Sardar due to release at the same time and is hence using this strategy to book theatres in advance, explained industry experts.

Ek Tha Tiger, directed by Kabir Khan, is set for release on 15 August, a Wednesday, not the traditional Friday. It's expected to be the widest release of 2012, with about 3,000 screens worldwide.

"As you would know, cinema houses and screens get locked much closer to film release. For now, all that can be said is that it will be an extensive release both in India and overseas," said Gangjee.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
SRK is a big brand I don't think he needs to snatch publicity from a Salman Khan movie. He has enough blockbusters and star power to market his movies

A choice between SRK and Ajay Devgan will always go in favour of SRK. If I'm not mistaken Ajay Devgan's movie release is rumoured to get slightly delayed due to SRK & Yash Chopra's venture and that speaks for itself 
pria4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
😆rumors...the 1st luk of YRF-SRK film maybe out by the end of August n not along with ETT as the report suggest😉
n Nadz as far as SOS is concerned, dunno coz the makers have not made the release date official whereas YRF-SRK film is scheduled for a 13th November release😊

BIackSwan thumbnail

Originally posted by: pria4ever

😆rumors...the 1st luk of YRF-SRK film maybe out by the end of August n not along with ETT as the report suggest😉

n Nadz as far as SOS is concerned, dunno coz the makers have not made the release date official whereas YRF-SRK film is scheduled for a 13th November release😊

Hey Prii 🤗

So it's coming in November? I thought it might hit the screens for Christmas
pria4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Hey Prii 🤗

So it's coming in November? I thought it might hit the screens for Christmas
[/QUOTE]

🤗 yup, its releasing on 13th November, even Kat confirmed it in her video chat on Friday😃...super-excited😊
Unconventional thumbnail

Originally posted by: NaDzGirl

SRK is a big brand I don't think he needs to snatch publicity from a Salman Khan movie. He has enough blockbusters and star power to market his movies

A choice between SRK and Ajay Devgan will always go in favour of SRK. If I'm not mistaken Ajay Devgan's movie release is rumoured to get slightly delayed due to SRK & Yash Chopra's venture and that speaks for itself 

Hey nadziii...how r u...???🤗

@BOLD...So is it confirmed dat der'll be no Yrf-SOS clash dis Diwali...😃
BIackSwan thumbnail
@Pri
Thanks for the info love. I hope it's not a Dil toh pagal hai part 2 cuz that's one Yash Chopra crap which I seriously loath 🤣

@Simi
Hey barbie doll 🤗 
How are you? You don't ever visit IPKKND don't you? Cuz I don't see you there. Have you permanently said hello hi bye bye??

I read some article in this forum about it. It's a foolish idea to clash two big movies and especially when SRK & Yash Chopra come together after a long time. It's more like a suicidal attempt for Ajay despite his recent blockbuster success 
nishu786 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Srk is big star but he is not popular among single screen audience...wheras ajay devgan's movie Singham was big hit due to huge contribution from Single screens in it's box office collection.

And,it's confirm Srk's movie Vs Son of Sardar on diwali...
Unconventional thumbnail

Originally posted by: NaDzGirl

@Pri

Thanks for the info love. I hope it's not a Dil toh pagal hai part 2 cuz that's one Yash Chopra crap which I seriously loath 🤣

@Simi
Hey barbie doll 🤗 
How are you? You don't ever visit IPKKND don't you? Cuz I don't see you there. Have you permanently said hello hi bye bye??

I read some article in this forum about it. It's a foolish idea to clash two big movies and especially when SRK & Yash Chopra come together after a long time. It's more like a suicidal attempt for Ajay despite his recent blockbuster success 

M perfectly fine nadz...hahaha...actually of late i've said bye bye to my idiot box...i jst come and go through d updates n if i find it interesting i watch it here online otherwise i leave it...

I really have no idea about dat nadz...bt d SOS theatricals r already out so i doubt dey'll postpone it...i hope both d movie does well...coz i like dem both...😃
Unconventional thumbnail

Originally posted by: nishu786

Srk is big star but he is not popular among single screen audience...wheras ajay devgan's movie Singham was big hit due to huge contribution from Single screens in it's box office collection.

And,it's confirm Srk's movie Vs Son of Sardar on diwali...

Hmm.. u have a valid point nishu...👏...