BMC truck smashes Aashka's car

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago
BMC truck smashes Aashka's car
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   June 17, 2006

Aashka Goradia
Car mishaps continue to haunt Aashka Goradia. After her Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway horror in February that left her injured and her car in a wreck, she met with another mishap a few days ago.

"Nazar lag gayi hai," she laments. "Another accident in barely four months. This time my car's rear bore the impact. The bumper, the back glass… just everything was smashed."

Meri galti nahin

The actress blames a municipal truck for damaging her car. "It's not my fault at all," laments Aashka, who was at the wheel and the sole occupant of the car.

"I was on way to the shoot of Kahiin To Hoga at Sankraman Studios, Goregaon, from my home at Lokhandwala. It was around 12 noon. At S V Road, near Kamat's Club, Goregaon, there was a massive traffic jam.

There was this municipal truck with a fork-lift which was clearing the nullah. They were stopping the cars because the vehicle was lifting the debris out of the nullah and onto the road.

As it kept on rotating, they were continuously halting the cars from passing by. I had stopped and proceeded only when told to. But I had hardly accelerated, that the fork-lift hit the rear of my car."

Aashka was both angry and extremely upset. "I got off and told the BMC folks, 'When you knew the fork-lift would swivel around, why did you allow the car to pass?' It was just my bad luck that it was my vehicle. What really angered me was the fact that they laughed it off. They tried to tell me 'You are alone, what will you do?' I was fuming and did not want them to have their way."

Shocking apathy

She proceeded to the Goregaon police station to file a complaint. "But I realised how things operate there. The BMC men made it sound as if it was my fault.

And one of the cops even said that I was the third person to come to them; there were already three more car owners who had lodged a complaint before me, as their vehicles were also damaged in a similar fashion."

Her grouse is why can't the BMC people do such operations early morning or at night? "Why at 12 noon when traffic is at peak? I really shudder to think where we are heading — there is total apathy toward the citizens."

The car, a Hyundai Accent Viva, is now at the garage undergoing repairs. "After my previous car (also a Viva) was smashed on the highway, I bought this car in April. And within barely two months, this, too, is in shambles. I bought the same model of the car as I had miraculously survived the highway accident in it. I thought this was lucky for me."

This mishap has caused the actress great inconvenience due to her shoot schedules. "I have to travel by auto now everywhere," says Aashka who will also shooting for B P Singh's Akeyla, slated for Sony.