Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Purva- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago
Hi Sayanee.

Welcome to the forum :) even though it is the fag end of the show.

Just yesterday I was thinking of Shrikant and the "Karonde ki mala"  and then "main tumhaare paise lauta doonga, badi bahu" - was that Charitraheen or Biraj Bahu?

I too read Sharat and Tagore in my early teens. Unfortunately, haven't renewed my acquaintanceship with them after that.

My mom was a big fan of Sharat and I've always been meaning to buy the full set of Sharat's works for her. Perhaps the next occasion that comes up I'll do that. I've tried gifting her sarees, perfumes, jewelry, handbags, shoes - nothing meets her approval. Maybe this will. Thanks for the lovely reminder.

I got acquainted with Hindu mythology through Chandamama magazine. The first mythological story I read was the Ramayan that was serialized in that. Then when I was 10 Mom bought my first Saral Mahabharat and Saral Bhagwat for kids and later a set "Pauranik Kathayen".

Like you did your first reading in Bengali, for me it was Hindi. So reading your post was like looking into a mirror image to a large extent.

Later of course I got introduced to English literature and that has been the mainstay of my life ever since. Also because I grew up in a non-Hindi speaking state so it was a trifle difficult to keep up with the literature of my native language.

But do share with us what you are reading currently or any other book you would like to share or discuss.

Sayanee - can you share the name of either the author of the book or the exact name of the book. Tough to even Google it otherwise.
Edited by Chitrashi - 11 years ago
Sea-Hawk thumbnail
@Chitrashi 

I am not new in d forum still thanks for welcoming me 

wow ur post reminds me a lot of memories .. my memories attached with different story books .. as we used to share books in school with my two best friends n used to chat on them discuss them .. it was our best topic of chatting 

I have done my graduation with English literature but Bengali Literature is closest to my heart .. 

my bonding with story books also happened with mythological books.. Kid's Ramayan N Mahabharat were d 1st books I read.. then Sukumar Rey (father of Satyajit rey), Satyajit Rey my book collection started to increase

as a teen started reading Saratchandra.. I guess it is d idea time of his books as I remember all my classmates started reading his books then .. it was fun coz I have read a lot of him till then so I was like oh u r reading it I have already read it ðŸ˜†

oh the line u have quoted its 4m Birajbou I guess.. as I read them in Bengali.. but Borobou word was used in Birajbou .. n his "Ses Prosno" n "Pather Dabi" inspired me like anything .. Pather Dabi is inspired by two gr8 martyr Rasbihari Bose n Netaji .. it was something I cud never forget 

uff I forget to mention one book . its "20 thousand leagues under the sea" ..  Captain Nemo .. reading that book was also a life time experience 

but my fav writer is another a Bengali.. Narayan Sanyal.. I don't know if any translation is available or not of his books but each n every book of his is a jewel 

Recently I am reading a book on five woman of two epic.. Ramayan n Mahabharat ... a book which eleminate all the supernatural elements n only took the facts .. 5 women .. who is neglected or hated .. d books speaks about them .. Kaikayi, Surpanakha, Satybati, Kunti n Draupadi.. Draupadi is d last one but I have started with her.. as she is my fav.. n it made me cry so many times .. actually I have a soft corner for epics specially Mahabharat.. I reaad anything n everything I get to read about it ..all the possible explanation of it.. social, political I just gobble them ..  

-Purva- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 5
So did I  - my graduation I mean  and my post-graduation too - English Literature.

Jules Verne was probably the best writer for a teenager with vivid imagination - Around the World in 80 Days, Journey to the Centre of the Earth and of course 20 Thousand Leagues Under The Sea. Then there was Jack London's White Fang.  They amongst them covered all of known creation and Asimov delved the Space. Somehow the first discovery of these books was like opening my eyes to the vastness of the Universe and its possibilities. Every realm was open to be populated with imagination.

Haven't read any of Ray or Narayan Sanyal. Hope I can get good Hindi translations for them to add to my reading list.