Sunidhi Chauhan appreciation thread

JasToronto thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Sunidhi Chauhan is the most talented and versatile female singer of modern bollywood playback film industry. Who can forget her award winning songs like Beedi Jalayele from movie Onkara, Sheela ki jawani - tees mar khan, Aaja nach le mere naal. She has won numerous Film Fair and other tv awards at such an young age. Her family hails from Uttar Pradesh and she was born in Delhi on 14rh August, 1983. Her dad was a minor theatre artist who used to work in theatre at Sapru house in new Delhi. He encouraged her daughter to learn music and at the age of 4 she gave her first live performance at one of the local temples of Delhi,  when a local TV anchor, Tabassum, spotted her talent, her family shifted to Bombay in a bid to further develop the young singer's skills, and Chauhan became the lead singer in Kalyanji's Little Wonders' troupe.

Recognition first met her in 1996, through the music show Meri Aawaz Suno ' the first such televised contest in India ' which was broadcast through the Indian national television channel,Doordarshan. She won the competition and bagged the top prize of recording an album, Aira Ghaira Nathu Khaira, with HMV.

Unluckily for Chauhan, Aira Ghaira Nathu Khaira was promoted as a children's album and failed to get the recognition it deserved. In 2002, Chauhan herself observed this in an interview

Chauhan's breakthrough was Ram Gopal Varma's Mast, in which she sang the hit song, "Ruki Ruki Si Zindagi" and three others, including the title song.[4] In an interview, while speaking of Mast, she said:

"Whatever I am today, I owe to Mast. I met Sandeep Chowta through Sonu Nigam, and fifteen days later, Mast was in my lap. I was only sixteen then."[5]

In February 2007, as part of its marketing campaign and launch of Windows Vista in India, Microsoft hired Sunidhi Chauhan to sing the "Windows Vista Song"[2] titled "Wow is Now". This song features English and Hindi lyrics proclaiming the many 'glamorous' features of the Windows Vista operating system.

Chauhan sung for the Hindi-dubbed version of Disney's movie, High School Musical[2] ' songs which were sung by Vanessa Anne Hudgens in the English version. Moreover, she was the singer of the English language song "Reach Out" at the opening ceremony of the 2006 Asian Games at Doha, Qatar.[2]

2008 was a highly successful year for the young singer, as she went on to deliver a huge number of superhit songs like "Chhaliya" (Tashan), "Rock Mahi," "Lucky Boy," "Desi Girl" (Dostana), "Dance Pe Chance" (Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi), and "Race Saanson Ki" (Race), and which resulted in her winning the "Kelvinator GR8! FLO Women Award 2009" for her contribution to music.[6][7]

In April 2010, Chauhan joined Anu Malik and Salim Merchant as a judge on the fifth season of the immensely popular singing talent show, Indian Idol 5. She will also be judging the sixth season of Indian Idol alongside Anu Malik and Salim Merchant.

Due to her high pitch voice and outstanding stage performances Sunidhi got "Chevrolet GIMA (Global Indian Music Awards) of Best Live Performer- Female"

Sunidhi Chauhan also joined Pitbull, John Ledend, K'Naan and Alicia Keys in the Western Union's World Of Betters to raise fund. Sunidhi sang two English songs, "Call me" and "Valentine". She moved the money to disadvantaged girls of Mumbai to help them discover their inner beauty

Chauhan has collaborated with Indian singers such as Alka Yagnik, Shaan and Udit Narayan. She is known for her popular pairing with Sukhwinder Singh (in films such as Omkara and Aaja Nachle). She is most often paired with singer Sonu Nigam and with the female playback singer Shreya Ghoshal, whom critic's view as a stiff competitor of Chauhan.[8] She had done a duet with Pakistani singer Faakhir Mehmood for album Mantra, She has also colaborated with Enrique Iglesias, on a song titled as "Heartbeat (India Mix)" which was included on Iglesias' album Euphoria (Special Indian Edition).

Lyricists she has worked with include Jaideep Sahni, Irshad Kamil, Gulzar, Sameer, Prasoon Joshi, Swanand Kirkire, Javed Akhtar and Anand Bakshi;[9][unreliable source?] and the music directors include Vandemataram Srinivas, Bappi Lahiri, A. R. Rahman, Ilaiyaraja, Yuvan, Himesh Reshammiya, Anu Malik, Jatin Lalit, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Pritam Chakraborty, Rajesh Roshan, Nadeem-Shravan, Anand-Milind, Vishal-Shekhar, M. M. Keeravani and others.[5][9]

Chauhan is one of the few female singers of the present generation who have lent there voice for most of the leading actressess in the Hindi entertainment industry, among those include Madhuri Dixit, Kajol, Aishwarya Rai, Preity Zinta, Rani Mukerji, Kareena Kapoor, Bipasha Basu, Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone and Konkona Sen Sharma. She has also sung for actresses of yester year cinema, such as Rekha.[10] She was the main singer who lent voice for the comebacks of two leading Bollywood actresses; Kajol, in the movie (Fanaa), and Madhuri Dixit (Aaja Nachle).[10]

In 2011, Chauhan got her breakthrough in international pop world by collaborating with international pop star Enrique for Hindi version of song Heartbeat and becomes first Indian female singer for an international collaboration.

Awards and honors
YearCategorySong and FilmResult
Filmfare Awards
2000Best Playback Singer - Female"Ruki Ruki" (Mast)Nominated
2001R. D. Burman Award for Most Promising Newcomer[19]Winner
Best Playback Singer - Female"Mehboob Mere" (Fiza)Nominated
2005Best Playback Singer - Female"Dhoom Machale" (Dhoom)Nominated
2006Best Playback Singer - Female"Kaisi Paheli" (Parineeta)Nominated
Best Playback Singer - Female"Deedar De" (Dus)Nominated
2007Best Playback Singer - Female"Beedi" (Omakara)Winner
Best Playback Singer - Female"Soniye" (Aksar)Nominated
Best Playback Singer - Female"Aashiqui Main" (36 China Town)Nominated
2008Best Playback Singer - Female"Aaja Nachle" (Aaja Nachle)Nominated
Best Playback Singer - Female"Sajnaji Vari Vari" (Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.)Nominated
2009Best Playback Singer - Female"Dance Pe Chance" (Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi)Nominated
2010Best Playback Singer - Female"Chor Bazari" ( Love Aaj Kal)Nominated
2011Best Playback Singer - Female"Udi" ( Guzaarish)Nominated
Best Playback Singer - Female"Sheila Ki Jawani" ( Tees Maar Khan)Winner
Star Screen Awards
2001Best Playback Singer - FemaleBhumro for Mission KashmirNominated
2004Best Playback Singer - Female"Meri Zindagi Mein Aaye Ho for ArmaanNominated
2004Best Playback Singer - FemaleSajna Ve Sajna for ChameliWinner
2005Best Playback Singer - FemaleDhoom Machale (Dhoom)Nominated
2006Best Playback Singer - Female"Kaisi Paheli" (Parineeta)Nominated
2007Best Playback Singer - FemaleBeedi Jalaile for OmkaraWinner
2008Best Playback Singer - FemaleSajnaji Vaari for Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.Nominated
2009Best Playback Singer - FemaleDance Pe Chance for Rab Ne Bana Di JodiNominated
2010Best Playback Singer - FemaleChor Bazari for Love Aaj KalNominated
2011Best Playback Singer - FemaleSheila Ki Jawani for Tees Maar KhanNominated
Awards of the International Indian Film Academy
2001Best Female Playback SingerMehboob Mere for FizaNominated
2005Best Female Playback SingerDhoom Machale for DhoomWinner
Best Female Playback SingerSajna Ve for ChameliNominated
2006Best Female Playback SingerKaisi Paheli for ParineetaNominated
Best Female Playback SingerDeedar De for DusNominated
2007Best Female Playback SingerCrazy Kiya Re for Dhoom 2Nominated
Best Female Playback SingerBeedi Jalaile for OmkaraWinner
2008Best Female Playback SingerAaja Nachle for Aaja NachleNominated
2009Best Female Playback SingerDesi Girl for DostanaNominated
2011Best Playback Singer - FemaleSheila Ki Jawani for Tees Maar KhanNominated
Zee Cine Awards
2005Best Female Playback SingerDhoom Machale for DhoomWinner
Best Female Playback SingerKaise Paheli Zindagi for ParineetaNominated
2007Best Female Playback SingerBeedi Jalaile for OmkaraNominated
Apsara Awards
2004Best Female Playback SingerBhage Re Mann for ChameliNominated
2006Best Female Playback SingerDhoom Machale for DhoomNominated
2008Best Female Playback SingerAaja Nachle (Aaja Nachle)Nominated
Best Female Playback SingerSajna Vaari (Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.)Nominated
2010Best Female Playback SingerChor Bazari (Love Aaj Kal)Nominated
2011Best Female Playback SingerAinvayi Ainvayi (Band Baaja Baaraat)Nominated
Best Female Playback SingerSheila Ki Jawani (Tees Maar Khan)Winner
2012Best Female Playback SingerTe Amo (Dum Maaro Dum)Nominated
Best Female Playback SingerAa Zara (Murder 2)Nominated
Global Indian Film Awards
2005Best Female Playback SingerDhoom Machale (Dhoom)Winner
2006Best Female Playback SingerBeedi Jalaile (Omkara)Nominated
2011Best Female Playback SingerSheela ki jawani (Tees Maar Khan)Winner
GIMA Awards
2011Best Playback Singer - Female"Sheela Ki Jawaani" (Tees Maar Khan)Winner
Best Playback Singer - Female"Udi" (Guzaarish)Nominated
Best Playback Singer - Female"Ainvay Ainvay" (Band Baaja Baraat)Nominated
BIG Star Indian Music Awards
2011Best Playback Singer - FemaleNeeyat Kharaab Hai for Teen PattiWinner
Central European Bollywood Awards
2006Best Playback Singer - FemaleMere Haat Mein for FanaaWinner
2007Best Playback Singer - Female"Sajnaji Vaari" (Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.)Nominated
2010Best Playback Singer - FemaleUdi for GuzaarishWinner
Mirchi Awards
2011Best Playback Singer - FemaleUdi for GuzaarishNominated
Best Playback Singer - FemaleSheela Ki Jawaani for Tees Maar KhanNominated
2012Best Playback Singer - FemaleIshq Sufiyana for The Dirty PictureWinner
Bollywood Movie Awards
2005Best Playback Singer - FemaleDhoom Machale for DhoomWinner
Bollywood Hungama Surfers Choice Music Awards
2010Best Playback Singer - FemaleSheela Ki Jawaani for Tees Maar KhanNominated
Big Star Entertainment Awards
2010Best Playback Singer - FemaleSheela Ki Jawaani for Tees Maar KhanWinner
2011Best Playback Singer - FemaleAa Zara for Murder 2Nominated
(Source: Bollywood Hungama)
Edited by JasToronto - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

JasToronto thumbnail
reserved for Sunidhi's videos

Sunidi's fans:

1. hope20
2. AASUS
3.DeadlyPiranha
4.ZoobiDoobi
5.JasToronto
6. basket_101
7.Masooma Bukhari 
8..Divya
9. CanadianAddiict
10.trishancku
11.Purrrfect
12.HinaMahekian
13.faisal4u
14.madhurirajput71
15.Lucky Jade

Hey friends, if you are one of Sunidhi's fans, please send me a PM 😊 or post a comment indicating that you want to be on fan's list. I would love to add your name in the fan's list.

regards te Rab Rakha.

Jas.

gothope thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Count me in I watch this show mostly because of her 
esseesse thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Count me in Jas. I think that she is one of the more better singers with great rustic voice and versatile. She has a voice which is distinctive and original to the core. I still remember her debut songs from RGV's mast in 1999. She sang much better songs later, and her singing in Chameli and in the later years has been phenominal. Some songs she has been great, some songs she saw not so good reviews...primarily due to films not getting recognised. Though I dont consider sheela ki jawani as her best song, she has sung many better songs than that. Lets see how she judges this season of II.
JasToronto thumbnail

Originally posted by: DeadlyPiranha

Count me in Jas. I think that she is one of the more better singers with great rustic voice and versatile. She has a voice which is distinctive and original to the core. I still remember her debut songs from RGV's mast in 1999. She sang much better songs later, and her singing in Chameli and in the later years has been phenominal. Some songs she has been great, some songs she saw not so good reviews...primarily due to films not getting recognised. Though I dont consider sheela ki jawani as her best song, she has sung many better songs than that. Lets see how she judges this season of II.

Nice to see you here Sid, I agree that Sheela ki jawani may not be her best rendition but it was hit on box office. She is an amazing artist and look at the awards she has got in her career so far.

On the show she should not follow Anu Malik and make fun of these contestants at auditions. She is a decent person and must maintain her image, cool and feminine character.
esseesse thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: JasToronto

Nice to see you here Sid, I agree that Sheela ki jawani may not be her best rendition but it was hit on box office. She is an amazing artist and look at the awards she has got in her career so far.

On the show she should not follow Anu Malik and make fun of these contestants at auditions.

Its true. Many a times the judges expect way too much from them. But reality is that most of them do appear pre scripted.
Edited by DeadlyPiranha - 11 years ago
JasToronto thumbnail
Sunidhi & Hitesh Sonik's wedding reception on May 4, 2012. Look who was there to wish them happy married life:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XY25ryO45U[/YOUTUBE]
JasToronto thumbnail
My one of the favourites from Sunidhi's

gothope thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I think that's my favorite performance of hers too... And as far as her wedding goes so flippin happy for her... last season I noticed that couple times when it came to something related to couples or something she kinda got disheartened like when rakesh's girl friend surprised him... I saw her saying to salim "so sweet" or something like that... and it's like aw and then she asked them to dance together... i think somewhere in her heart it was her wish to be able to do that too some day and I am glad god has made her wish come true in some aspects
AASUS thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Hey Jas ðŸ˜ƒ  Great job. Fab post and v. colourful.

C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s   to fans on  SC  AT# 1 ðŸ¥³