Sadhana Sargam-A Versatile Singer

uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

Dear Friends, I was just listening to the song Aao Na from Kyun Ho Gaya Na, Sadhana was excelent in this Song.. even though she is talented and melodious why she is under rated and why has not made name in Bollywood??? 😕😕😕

Sadhana Sargam

Sadhana Sargam

Profession: Playback Singer, Bollywood.

Her real name is Sadhana Ghanekar and she€™s got music in her blood her mother Neela is a well known classical singer and music teacher. Sadhana€™s intensely musical environment made any other field of activity inconceivable for the tot who had her first tryst with musical training at the age of 4.She would sing on stage with the late Vasant Desai. He would also employ her voice in documentaries and short films. Sadhana won a Central Government scholarship in classica

Sadhana€™s mother knew arranger €" composer Anil Mohile, who was then arranging music for Kalyanji €" Anandji. He introduced Sadhana to them, and she was in the children€™s chorus in €˜Pam Pararampam, Bole Jeevan Ki Sargam€™ sung by Kishore Kumar in G. P. Sippy€™s Trishna (1978).After the recording, he introduced her to Kalyanji, who christened the girl as Sadhana Sargam and took her under his wing. Sadhana recorded her career first song for their Gujarati film Kanku Pagli. The first Hindi song she sang for them was €˜Door Nahin Rehna€™ (Rustom), a film which was delayed and released only in 1985 and sank.

Luckily her first release was Vidhaata (1982) and she was one of the seven voices of €˜Saat Saheliyan€™ for Padmini Kolhapuri. She continued to sing for Kalyanji Anandji, but shot to fame only after Rajesh Roshan gave her all the female songs of brother Rakesh Roshan€™s Khudgarz (1987). Followed Khoon Bhari Maang, Aasman Se Ooncha, Jurm, Kishan Kanhaiya and others under Rajesh Roshan, Tridev, Vishwatma, Tere Mere Sapne, Aar Ya Paar and Gupt under Viju Shah, Aankhen (€˜Angna Mein Baba€™ under Bappi Lahiri, Saudagar (€˜Imli Ka Boota€™ / Laxmikant-Pyarelal) and €˜Pehla Nasha€™ (Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikandar / Jatin-Lalit) and many other songs under Anand-Milind, Nadeem-Shravan and Anu Malik.

She is quite a favorite with the virtuoso AR Rahman who has utilized her fine voice in quite a few of his compositions, which other singers would die, to sing. Her songs in Sapnayare still popular and Rahman has also included her in his stage shows. Now he has used Sadhan to sing for his international venture-a Chinese Production-Warriors of Heaven and Earth.

Sadhana continued to sing for her mentors in films like Taqdeer, Pighalta Aasmaan, Raj Tilak, Karishma Kudrat Ka ) and others, but it was only with €˜Har Kisiko Nahin Milta€™ (Jaanbaaz / 1986) that she was really noticed. Highly impressed, Rajesh Roshan shouldered the entire score of Khudgarz on her. This film and its songs like €˜Yahin Kahin Jiyara Hamar€™, €˜Mai Se Meena Se€™ and €˜Log Kehte Hain€™ also demonstrated her range, as all three duets were different.Khudgarz was followed by Khoon Bhari Maang (1988) and Sadhana also began to sing for other composers like Anu Malik, R. D. Burman, Anand €" Milind and sparingly under Laxmikant €" Pyarelal. Her main hits continued to be with Rajesh Roshan, which included €˜Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaaye€™ / Jurm, €˜Radha Bina Hai€™ / Kishan Kanhaiya, and songs in Dariya Dil, Aasmaan Se Ooncha and Jaisi Karni Waisi Bharni.

She got a major boost from Tridev (Kalyanji €" Anandji €" Viju Shah) in 1989 in which she shone in €˜Main Teri Mohabbat Mein€™ and €˜Gajar Ne Kiya Hai Ishara€™, effortlessly overshadowing co €" singers Alka Yagnik and Sapna Mukherjee (also Kalyanji €" Anandji proteges) in the latter song.

In the early 90€™s, Sadhana soon emerged as the busiest singer after Alka Yagnik. Anand €" Milind, Na 1000 deem €" Shravan, Anu Malik, Jatin €" Lalit, Bappi Lahiri and Dilip Sen €" Sameer Sen were among the frontline composers who used her dulcet assured voice. The list of her greatest hits include €˜Saat Samandar€™ (Vishwatma) and €˜Na Kajre Ki Dhar€™ (Mohra) under Viju Shah. €˜Bhangra Pale€™ under Rajesh Roshan in Karan Arjun: €˜Maine Ghar Choda Hai€™ (Dil) and €˜Kya Mausam Aaya Hai€™ (Anari) under Anand €" Milind. With Jatin €" Lalit she had €˜Pehla Nasha€™ (Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikandar) and the title song of Raju Ban Gaya Gentelman: €˜Imli Ka Boota€™ (Saudagar / Laxmikant €" Pyarelal), €˜Teri Ummeed Tera Intezar€™ (Deewana) and the title track of Dil Kya Kya Kasoor under Nadeem €" Shravan.

In the post €" 1995 period, Sadhana has sung much less, but has had a decent share of hits and has enhanced her skills, progressing in her art, devoting considerable time to Kala Veer Academy (Kalyanji€™s training school for upcoming talent) and to her pursuit of classical music, with the Academy and otherwise. Her classical performance at the recent Dinanath Mangeshkar Centenary celebrations in Kolhapur won her rave reviews and frank admiration from none other than Hridaynath Mangeshkar.Her post €" 1995 hits include €˜Dil Mein Kuch Hone Laga€™ (Army / Anand €" Milind), €˜Kuch Mere Dil Ne Kaha€™ (Tere Mere Sapne) and the songs of Gupt(Viju Shah), €˜Chanda Re€™ (Sapnay) and the classic €˜Banno Rani€™ (1947 €" Earth) under A. R. Rahman and other popular songs in films like Ziddi,Duplicate, Masoom and others.She has also sung a Ghazal album with Pankaj Udhas and regularly sings the successful cover €" version albums on Wings Music, besides doing regional films and albums.

She is barely busy in Bollywood. Sadhna has an international project which is Oscar film Warriors of Heaven and Earth . This is her first opportunity to sing for an international production. It is like the theme song of the film. It was done in Chinese by a Chinese singer and she sang it in Hindi. She is quite excited about this song and expexts to get similar projects.

Best Of Sadhana Sargam:
SongMovie

Pehla NashaJo Jeeta Wohi Sikander
Yahan Ke Hum SikanderJo Jeeta Wohi Sikander
Humne Ghar choda haiDil
Mere sanam mujhko teri kasamGupt
Na kajre ki dhaarMohra
Awards And Honors:
AwardSong-Movie
Zee Cine Award 2004
Filmfare Award 2004Kuch Na Kaho - Kuch Na Kaho
Source : http://www.hindilyrix.com/singers/singer-sadhana-sargam.htm

Edited by uknaik99 - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

arun_8687 thumbnail
Sadhna Ji isnt a failed singer..Calling her one would be utter foolishness

And Who says she hasn't made her name,She has hits from "Ter Dar Pe" To "Aao Na".

Off late,she's been doing a lot of work with ARR..like Water,Warriors of Heaven and Earth.

One of the best female singers we've evr had 👏
uknaik99 thumbnail
Sorry Arun, I agree with you and Edited that part...

uknaik99 thumbnail
Success on the musical path

Sadhana Sargam is the singer in the news on account of her National and Screen Awards. This talented artiste, who has been in the industry for a decade, is rendering songs in other languages as well.

SONOROUS JOURNEY: Sadhana Sargam. — Photo: P.V. Sivakumar

RECOGNITION IN the form of awards finally touched base with Sadhana Sargam although she has been around as a playback singer for some years. She won the National Award for the best singer for the Tamil song Padacholli padacholli in Azhagi (may seem rather surprising as she is from Mumbai) and the Screen Award for the best singer for Chupke Se from Saathiya (incidentally she rendered the same song in the Tamil original Snehithane... and later dubbed in Telugu as Snehithuda...). Although the awards are perhaps a trifle late, Sadhana is nevertheless happy.'' I am happy to be recognised by the industry. Though Tamil is not my language, I am thrilled to get the National Award. I must give credit to Ilayaraja for making me sing the song,'' she says when she visited the city for A.R. Rahman's Unity of Light concert.

Today Sadhana is a familiar name in the playback industry not just in Bollywood but in the Tamil and Telugu industry as well. Add to that a host of other languages like Bengali, Oriya, Nepali, Assamese, Gujarati and Marathi. It is not surprising considering the fact that the trend today is to have singers of the North and West singing in South Indian and East Indian films. "It is a great experience to sing in so many languages. Of course I write the song in Hindi and the music director and others help me with the pronunciation. I am well versed with Marathi as it is my mother tongue and Gujarati having lived in Mumbai. I can understand most of Bengali but still find it difficult to learn the Southern languages. But I think I can kind of recognise the difference between Tamil and Telugu today,'' she says with a smiling face. "Everybody is professional and it is the same recording in Mumbai or Chennai.''

One is struck by her new makeover - gone are the long tresses and the plaits she used to sport. She is looking slimmer too. What one sees instead is shoulder length permed hair left open. Was the change of image necessary to be in tune with today? "Yes. Today I feel better with this new look, more confident. Also it is easier to maintain permed hair.''

Rewinding about her earlier years Sadhana refers to her training in classical music initially from her mother and later from Pandit Jasraj for seven years. She pays enormous credit to her mother who unfortunately died two years ago. "I am in music because of her. She gave me the first lessons in music. I remembered her and missed her terribly on the day I received my first National Award. My father was present on the occasion.'' Sadhana strongly advocates singers to have a background of classical music (are wannabe singers listening?). "This provides the base - one's sur and taal become strong and it helps you pick up confidence.'' But she shifted her focus to playback singing. "Marathi is my mother tongue and I had to learn Urdu from Sayed Ahmed Sayed. I used to sing classical in low pitch then I had to practise in higher pitch for films.'' She is not learning classical music as it is difficult to handle both film and classical now.

Singing in Bollywood was by sheer coincidence. "Anil Mohile took me to Kalyanjibhai once. Since Kishore Kumar who was to record came late Kalyanjibhai listened to me and realised the potential. He taught me some techniques and I improved my pronunciation.'' Interestingly it was Kalyanjibhai who added Sargam to Sadhana's name. "My surname is Ghanekar but Kalyanjibhai said that my second name (since Sadhana is connected to music) should be something connected with music. Sadhana Sargam sounds better and so he gave me that name and then I started using it.''

She arrived in Bollywood when there were other singers in the fray as well. But she maintained her niche. Songs followed from Pehla nasha, pehla ghooma (Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander) to numerous ones in Hindi and other languages. Constant trips between Mumbai and Chennai are part of Sadhana's life today.

Today the techniques of recording have changed. "The system is different. Sometimes the voice is dubbed and the music is added later on. Rahman is adept at doing this.'' Has the voice taken a backseat to orchestration? "To a certain extent it has to flow with the current trend. Previously one could notice the total energy of the singer in the song. The voice was important. Today orchestration is equally important and therefore the rhythm and sound has to be catchy. We try to impart full emotions but it is not as it is before,'' she replies.

Sadhana has experimented with some private albums as well. Vaada, composed by Ustad Amjad Ali Khan where she sung with Roop Kumar Rathod was one. Two years ago she sang some romantic numbers for a private album Oh my Love.

She hopes to do some albums in future. "This is an era of remix and fusion. I want to put in some classical and folk music which will be enjoyed by the connoisseurs, classicists and the masses.''

Her forthcoming assignments include Bollywood films like Lakshya, Kuch na kaho, Mere Jeevan Saathi and she has sung two Telugu songs in Mohan Babu's film (she does not remember the name).

How does she maintain her voice? "I eat bhajiyas (love them) and ice cream. I hated doing riyaaz as a child but over the years I understood its importance and now I make it a point to do riyaaz at least for an hour.''

On seeing Sadhana wearing a locket of a guru one was tempted to ask her about him. "He is Sant Prabhu Mastramji. He has given me valuable advice and guidance even on singing as well. I have full faith in him and I recite his mantra Om Prabhu Shanti and do havan as well.''

Sadhana has been in the industry for more than a decade. "It feels good and I am sustaining by the grace of god as this is a field where one comes into the limelight fast and fades away fast,'' she says in all humility. And one walks off with pleasant memories of this comely and talented woman.

RADHIKA RAJAMANI
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2003/02/18/stories/200 3021800240100.htm
vinnie-thepooh thumbnail

Originally posted by: arun_8687

Sadhna Ji isnt a failed singer..Calling her one would be utter foolishness

And Who says she hasn't made her name,She has hits from "Ter Dar Pe" To "Aao Na".

Off late,she's been doing a lot of work with ARR..like Water,Warriors of Heaven and Earth.

One of the best female singers we've evr had 👏

Agree  with u arun

malinissss thumbnail
I know she has lot of songs to her credit, but she deserves lot more.....she is so much better than Alka. Sadhna shud have got more oppurtunities
vinayaktyagi thumbnail
Thank u very much for sharing info. abt. my fav. Singer ,she has the sweeetest voice in whole Film industry.
vinit_1242 thumbnail

Originally posted by: mp_142

Sadhana Willl have a Great Career.....

Kanta80 thumbnail
Sadhna Sargam is one of the best singers in India. She has always done quality work. I can't name any song of hers as 'faltu'. If you notice, she will have at least one song in A.R. Rehman's movie. Probably, she believes in quality rather than quantity and that's why she doesn't have songs in every movie. She is a great singer with a great voice and personality.
Kanta80 thumbnail

Originally posted by: dotdiddydot

Touche Kanta

you hit the proverbial nail flush on the head😛

i sincerely hope that after this initial hungama that may or may not reap a financial bonanza for her from her vilayati trips, Nihira Vijay Joshi also becomes fiercely selective and not trypse around with just any mediocre troupe run by the HR and Natwar Thakkars of this day and age..👏

Good saying, dotdiddydot. I hope so too.