Screenindia-Lifting the veil of reality tv-ASA

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
It's an Abracadabra world, where situations are conjured, packed and marketed. Deep down, we love to live in an elsysian world cloaked in the garb of reality. Playing on this human psychology and for all its brouhaha of being fair and just, reality television is truly in the eye of the storm with questions being raised on its credibility. The most common angst is that the deserved candidate never gets his or her due. All that the young, nubile mind gains is undue pressures, cut-throat competition and heartburn.

Aasman Se Aagey, which went on air on April 23 on Life OK, attempts to rip apart the behind the scenes happenings of such shows where talent alone is not enough to win the title. The show's protagonist is a young girl who dares to dream big. Just like thousands who flock to audition centers for that one in a million chance, Meenaxi participates in a dance reality show, hoping to win the competition. Hailing from a humble background, a cleaner who works in a mall, the show traces her journey to her final goal. Does success and fame strip her of her innocence as she gets taken in by the all-consuming world of fame and glamour?

According to Ajit Thakur, general manager, Life OK, the core thought behind the show is that dreams and aspirations are fine but at what cost? The story is told in two phases. The first part deals with Meenaxi's journey to name and fame through compromise and the second involves hard work, persistence and relentless ambition without compromising on values and principles. The reason for choosing a dance format for the fiction show is obviously the entertainment quotient it offers. Ajit says, "The show essentially focusses on youth's fascination for instant name and fame, which all channels are cashing on. While they make their profits without paying a penny to commoners who give three months of their lives , contestants do not realise the impact ambition and greed for fame and glamour have on their lives."

Ajit admits that all this is done to raise the TRP ratings. Promising not to fall in the trap of ratings, he admits that not all shows are manupulated. However it is quite obvious that some of them are. "We will not deviate from our research and brand promise," he assures. Incidentally, the show fits perfectly into the channel's brand positioning—aspire and dream for a better life but be happy with what you have.

The show has Maninee Mishra and Rajesh Khera playing judges while Apoorva Agnihotri plays a manipulative producer of a dance reality show. Interestingly, Rajesh dresses like a woman but refuses to reveal the reason behind it. Though all the three actors have participated in such shows, none admit that they are rigged. "I wouldn't know, but my elimination from a reality show came as a surprise to me," admits Apoorva. While Maninee says that she is not cut for reality TV, her experience wasn't pleasant. Rakhi Sawant, the show's brand ambassador, says that she has done many reality shows but won none. "I don't know whether they are rigged. But I did my best. I expected to win some and walk away with the prize money. But I went home empty handed," she sighs.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks Tanu
This is a must watch show!!
I am all on for it and Apu as DC is awesome!!!👏👏👏

He rules Real TV!!!
rekha02 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5
Thanks for sharing.😃.   Edited by rekha03 - 12 years ago
shanaya28 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing..

This is interesting..."The story is told in two phases. The first part deals with Meenaxi's journey to name and fame through compromise and the second involves hard work, persistence and relentless ambition without compromising on values and principles".

The second phase sounds interesting also..after fame how meenakshi does not compromises on her values in the glitz and glamor world..

shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: saveeta24

Thanks for sharing..

This is interesting..."The story is told in two phases. The first part deals with Meenaxi's journey to name and fame through compromise and the second involves hard work, persistence and relentless ambition without compromising on values and principles".

The second phase sounds interesting also..after fame how meenakshi does not compromises on her values in the glitz and glamor world..

Thats what we will have to see, Compromise is a BIG word, nothing is got easily when the race is cut throat and open to all, Meenakshi will have to see how the rules laid affect her and how she can de throne the rules where she will have to compromise and emerge a winner, I also see if DC will stop at a point and the way the occurrences of things happen will have to be handled by her only and what she thinks she will do without compromising on her principles and values.
sami01 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
thanks for article...i feel they r drama from start ..a friend of mine from TV industry said ..its very planned to get TRPs ..but people who come are obviously talented enough to make it to the stage on national TV
but overall persona of apu is very impressive in the show
swethasyam08 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
thanks for sharing Tanu!!

this is indeed an interesting show with diff. concept and the struggle Meenakshi faces without any compromises.