Sasural Genda ~ Journey To The Centre Of The Heart

NilayB thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Death is hardly the moment to put things into perspective. And anyway, it will be a futile attempt in the case of "Sasural Genda Phool" as any dim witted would comprehend the sheer depth of insensibility & utter clutter it had incorporated in the 2nd half which succeeded the enormously gratifying tale of relations, relationship, benevolence, commiseration, empathy, adoration, envy, self-righteousness but more importantly respect for the loved ones.

*sigh* Well, I couldn't stop myself from putting things into perspective, did I? Anyway, this obituary should be what SGP meant to me rather than what it meant to logic.

It all started as yet another "Saas-Bahu" daily soap which couldn't have been named more stereotypically than "Sasural Genda Phool" & now that it goes away, it has left a feeling of deep satisfaction in my heart. Happiness, veneration, amusement, appeasement but more strongly satisfaction.

Never has a serial been more engaging & believable than "Sasural Genda Phool".

Case & Point: - 3rd scene of the 1st ever episode, the one with "Kashyap" family. I can't exactly put what it had. Maybe fantastic screenplay & presence of mind or on a more personal note 'feel good' or maybe a memory. A memory that I clasped with both my hands. Anybody would become an ardent fan by the end of 1st episode itself.

Even though the outline was tried & (short-term successfully) tested, it set up a benchmark for every other "Saas-Bahu" serial. It was set apart of-course from the 'expensive saree & jewelry clad women' & 'Armani suit wearing business tycoons running around in lavish Volkswagens' but also from the 'middle class women drawing taunts along with water from a well about their unmarried *HOT* girls' & 'a "nikamma" & righteous son giving high BP to his pensioned father'.

In the "Kashyap" household however, we were subject to how an actual middle class family in downtown "Chandni Chowk" lives. Daily chores, gossip during tea sessions, grabbing someone else's "paratha", "Chatt pe kapde sukhana", an argument with the neighbors, the childishness of grandparents. Not that other serials didn't try but "Sasural Genda Phool" had it mainstream & not as a filler.

Many would have seen their lives reflecting before their TV screens (not in case of Matte screens though).

Memories that still shine in my brain:

That beautifully captured "Grah Pravesh" scene of Suhana in which Badi Maa churns out some memorable lines.

That awesome scene of Suhana reading her mother's letters. That was a tear inducing one.

That scene where Suhana break a glass off Meena's hands & later Badi Maa teaches her to value the maids.

That HOWLarious "Naagin" dance from Ilesh, those leg-pulling sessions of Raunak by Inder & co.

That episode where news about Dadaji's death comes in papers & what ensues is hilarity. Loved Suhana in that scene.

That entire episode of Ishwar's Birthday. First, the grunts, grudge, helplessness & hope in Dadaji's voice as he & Dadi remembers their son, then that intense scene between Badi Maa & Panna with Suhana looking on. Delicious as emotional appetizers.

That scene where "Kashyaps" go to a picnic along with Sonali & Suhana, annoyed, sitting under the canopy, recites her feeling about her mother to Sanju. That scene was my personal "Best Scene of Suhana".

That scene when Dadaji finds out about Suhana's Brain Tumor & his emotions bursts out, first in front of Dadi & then with Suhana. That scene was my personal "Best Scene of SGP".

The day before the honeymoon in the "Bajpai" house with Shanti Maasi, that was great humor.

And last but not the least "the intercourse & the morning after" episode. That was hilarious & my personal "Best Episode of SGP".

Not much went down after the end of Brain Tumor track. A hopeful revival was predicted by the Ishwar's return but at that moment SGP was at a point of no return.

A few words about the actors & the makers:

Firstly, I would like to thank the Casting Director, Director & Producer of the show for selecting such a coveted ensemble. Had seen the likes of Sudhir Pandey, Supriya Pilgaonkar, Sooraj Thapar & Ragini Khanna perform wonderfully individually & they shone out quite brightly as one. Not to forget Jay Soni, Bhairavi Raichura, Moon Banerjee, Mahesh Thakur, Pooja Kanwal, Jiten Lalwani, Anita Kanwal, Sadiya Siddiqui, Indraneel Bhattacharya, Sulbha Arya & Jayati Bhatia, Tapeshwari Sharma & Shruti Ulfat. (The ones I missed out, well, it's your fault)

Well, what can I say more about Ragini Khanna. She had me as the "Amazing Bharti" & yet she magnified her talent. One of the best up-coming actresses, she is the best face-actor. Don't know if it's conscious or natural but those little & numerous improvisation on her face, oh!!!!!!! Is this what u call 'Looks to die for'?

Supriya Pilgaonkar, (I can take pride in calling her Goa's own daughter-in-law) the Best actress in the TV industry right now. You know, whenever I thought of a benchmark TV character, Smriti Irani's Tulsi always came to my mind. But the sheer brilliance with which Supriya played out Badi Maa has taken her character to the top spot in my list.

Sudhir Pandey, the 'Naseeruddin Shah of TV industry', always playing small & strong roles in numerous serials. An actor who can convincingly outshine the best ones on his day.

Entertainment can be had elsewhere but "Sasural Genda Phool" gave me happiness.

As it embarks on the start/finish straight of its last lap staring down at the twilight, it will have one regret, not leaving me with nostalgia.

P.S. For people who still couldn't identify them apart. This ( http://t.co/QPjlz3vk ) is Suli & This (http://t.co/Ug4VimwK ) is Sudi.

KTHXBY

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!