Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

I have read many stories/legends on Ganesh Chaturthi. The name of the demon keeps alternating between Gajasura and Gajamukhasura. One was killed by Lord Shiva and the other by Lord Ganesha himself.

I'll try to put in all that I know - sorry for providing a garbled version of all that I had read on this legend.

Once, the king of demons named Asurendra was defeated by Devendra, the king of devas. Asureandra consulted with Sukracharya on how to take revenge for his defeat. Sukracharya told him that the one who was born to Sage Matanga would be able to defeat Indra in battle. Asurendra sends his wife to seduce Matanga and bear his child. Matanga happens to see a couple of elephants making love and hence transforms himself and Asurendra's wife into elephants to fulfill his desires. The son born to them, thus, had the head of an elephant and was called Gajamukhasura  /  Gajasura. I usually choose the name Gajamukhasura as only his head was that of an elephant's.

The usual story follows - the demon does great penances to appease Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva grants him the boon that he himself will live inside Gajamukhasura, thus making him invincible.

Goddess Parvati was worried as her husband was absent for along time and asks for Lord Vishnu's help to find him. Lord Vishnu divines that Lord Shiva was living inside Gajamukhasura. Accompanied by Nandi (in the form of a bull) and dressed as a folk entertainer (Gangiedulla vadu - Gangi -folk music entertainer, eddu - bull, vadu - person. Sometimes, it is spelled as Gangi erruddula vadu) to meet Gajamukhasura. The entertainer (Vishnu) made the bull dance to the tune he played in his flute. Gajamukhasura was delighted by the performance and promised anything the entertainer wished. The entertainer asked for Lord Shiva. Gajamukhasura then realises that the entertainer is none other than Vishnu. Though he agreed to fulfill the entertainer's wish and was aware of his imminent end, he prayed to Lord Shiva that his head should be worshiped by everyone and his skin should be worn by Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva agrees to this and Nandi tears open Gajamukhasura and releases Lord Shiva. The events of Goddess Parvati creating Ganesha and Shiva beheading him follows soon after. Thus, while bringing the boy back to life, Shiva uses the head of Gajamukhasura.

Another version of this story says that Lord Shiva was very angry on residing inside Gajamukhasura for so long and one being released, he lopped off the demon's head with his trident. The dying demon, repented saying he wished he could live to do more for Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva sympathised with Gajamukhasura saying he'd try to do something for him. When Ganesha was beheaded by Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu said that the only way to bring the boy back to life is to attach a head facing south to the body. As luck would have it, Shiva had left Gajamukhasura's head facing south. Thus Lord Ganesha was resurrected with Gajamukhasura's head.

The above mentioned story is a Telugu folk tale ( I think). This is one of the many versions (including the slaying of Aditya by Lord Shvia, the gaze of Shani, the elephant-faced Goddess Malini).

As per the stories I've read, Gajasura is the name of the demonic form (an elephant demon) of the demon Nila took to kill Lord Shiva. Gajasura was killed by Ganesha in the ensuing fight.

I have read the same story in many books and places - but the name of the demon in some is  Gajamukhasura and in the others its Gajasura.

That's all I know 😳
Edited by Vibhishna - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 5
Straightforward one for regulars who've participated in this forum:

What was the name of Vibhishan's son who fought and died fighting for Ravana?
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Straightforward one for regulars who've participated in this forum:

What was the name of Vibhishan's son who fought and died fighting for Ravana?

Vibhishna,

Any idea? ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜†
varaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vibhishna

I have read many stories/legends on Ganesh Chaturthi. The name of the demon keeps alternating between Gajasura and Gajamukhasura. One was killed by Lord Shiva and the other by Lord Ganesha himself.

I'll try to put in all that I know - sorry for providing a garbled version of all that I had read on this legend.

Once, the king of demons named Asurendra was defeated by Devendra, the king of devas. Asureandra consulted with Sukracharya on how to take revenge for his defeat. Sukracharya told him that the one who was born to Sage Matanga would be able to defeat Indra in battle. Asurendra sends his wife to seduce Matanga and bear his child. Matanga happens to see a couple of elephants making love and hence transforms himself and Asurendra's wife into elephants to fulfill his desires. The son born to them, thus, had the head of an elephant and was called Gajamukhasura  /  Gajasura. I usually choose the name Gajamukhasura as only his head was that of an elephant's.

The usual story follows - the demon does great penances to appease Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva grants him the boon that he himself will live inside Gajamukhasura, thus making him invincible.

Goddess Parvati was worried as her husband was absent for along time and asks for Lord Vishnu's help to find him. Lord Vishnu divines that Lord Shiva was living inside Gajamukhasura. Accompanied by Nandi (in the form of a bull) and dressed as a folk entertainer (Gangiedulla vadu - Gangi -folk music entertainer, eddu - bull, vadu - person. Sometimes, it is spelled as Gangi erruddula vadu) to meet Gajamukhasura. The entertainer (Vishnu) made the bull dance to the tune he played in his flute. Gajamukhasura was delighted by the performance and promised anything the entertainer wished. The entertainer asked for Lord Shiva. Gajamukhasura then realises that the entertainer is none other than Vishnu. Though he agreed to fulfill the entertainer's wish and was aware of his imminent end, he prayed to Lord Shiva that his head should be worshiped by everyone and his skin should be worn by Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva agrees to this and Nandi tears open Gajamukhasura and releases Lord Shiva. The events of Goddess Parvati appointing creating Ganesha and Shiva beheading him follows soon after. Thus, while bringing the boy back to life, Shiva uses the head of Gajamukhasura.

Another version of this story says that Lord Shiva was very angry on residing inside Gajamukhasura for so long and one being released, he lopped off the demon's head with his trident. The dying demon, repented saying he wished he could live to do more for Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva sympathised with Gajamukhasura saying he'd try to do something for him. When Ganesha was beheaded by Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu said that the only way to bring the boy back to life is to attach a head facing south to the body. As luck would have it, Shiva had left Gajamukhasura's head facing south. Thus Lord Ganesha was resurrected with Gajamukhasura's head.

The above mentioned story is a Telugu folk tale ( I think). This is one of the many versions (including the slaying of Aditya by Lord Shvia, the gaze of Shani, the elephant-faced Goddess Malini).

As per the stories I've read, Gajasura is the name of the demonic form (an elephant demon) of the demon Nila took to kill Lord Shiva. Gajasura was killed by Ganesha in the ensuing fight.

I have read the same story in many books and places - but the name of the demon in some is  Gajamukhasura and in the others its Gajasura.

That's all I know 😳  

Yeah, so little...😃
Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: varaali

Vibhishna,

Any idea? ðŸ˜† ðŸ˜†

Much to my embarrassment, no idea at all 😳😲

This is something totally new to me.

I can't believe I missed so much already. 😡😡
varaali thumbnail
Vrish,

I think you can give out the answer. (I don't know, not in any mood to Google either). 

And Vibhishana / Vrish - 

Is there a story behind the sword Asi? Are the weapons of other Pandavas also mentioned? (Apart from Gandhiva, of course)
Vr15h thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 5
The answer is Taranisen.  For the full story from Krittivas Ramayan, see this thread

Varaali

I just googled and found out the answer, but had no idea about this story before.  I am curious about whether Bhima's mace was a special, divine one like the Koumadaki.
varaali thumbnail
Another straight forward question :

Into which river does Kunti place the new born Karna ?
Vibhishna thumbnail

Originally posted by: varaali

Another straight forward question :

Into which river does Kunti place the new born Karna ?

The Ganga? Or one of its tributaries, maybe. I don't know the exact name but its either the Ganga or related to Ganga.

@ Vrish, your sigs are impressive. What serial/movie is it from?

varaali thumbnail
Not the Ganga, certainly. But whether the river in question is a tributary of Ganga, I am not sure