Rabba Ishq Na Hove

Karishma is back in action

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

By A.L. Chougule

Chirpy, happy and always smiling! Her father once told her that she has such a sweet smile that she can even get away with murder. Though she keeps smiling she hasn't had a reason to murder anyone yet. Chances are she won't kill anyone, given the fact that she likes to be happy all the time. In any case sweet girls don't murder, they kill guys with their sweet smile.

But murder or no murder Karishma Randeva has every reason to smile because her life is literally rocking. For in two years she has played main leads in two major dailies and parallel leads in another two.Having studied biophysics in her graduation, this Punjabi kudi wanted to be a genetic engineer. Genetic engineering is now a past, thanks to 'Miss India Monte Carlo' title that she won while she was doing her second year graduation.

"I went along with my friends and participated in the contest just for the heck of it. Everyone said I am not going to win. Not only I won the main title but also three other titles, Miss Beautiful Smile, Miss Beautiful Eyes and Miss Most Talented which required me to do a mono act. That's when I realised that I could act because I had never acted in my life," recalls Karishma with a broad smile.

The beauty contest title changed her life. She started dreaming about stars and stardom. "But Baba insisted that I complete my graduation," she informs. She had come to Mumbai for her nephew's birthday. Someone told her that getting an entry in Ekta Kapoor's production banner was impossible.

"I took it as challenge and visited Balaji. Not only I gave an audition but I was selected for a role in Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki," says Karishma with some distinct pride in her voice. She was happy playing Gautam's daughter Sonu. Soon Ekta cast her in second lead in Kkusum. "It was great going for me," gushes the petite girl who opted out of Kkusum when the show took a 20-year leap. "I didn't want to play mother to someone of my age," she adds. She also opted out of Kahani because Sonu's character was not going anywhere.

Instead she grabbed the lead in Hello Dolly that had her playing a shy and clumsy girl called Dolly who discovers that she is actually a princess and has to behave and live like one. "The transformation was really good," says Karishma who however, identified more with Prito of Mahi Ve, a family drama that was set in Punjab. "Prito was more like me. Happy-go-lucky, always smiling, traditional and always up to some mischief," laughs Karishma who will now be seen in India Calling as Tara whose friendship with Aditya causes ripples in Chandni's life.

"Tara is a typical urban chick, always friendly, happy-go-lucky and rocking who is definitely not out to snatch Adi from his girl. But things are misunderstood," explains Karishma who hails from an orthodox and traditional Punjabi family. Given her family background, films are not on her list of priorities.

"I don't fit into the current crop of films where boldness is the major requirement. I had a few offers but refused because of this very reason," she says. Life has definitely taken a fast route. "Life in Chandigarh is slow and retired. Here it is like living in a fast lane. Always working, from morning to night for 25 to 30 days in a month," she says. Breaks are very rare. Recently she did get a long break. "I went to Bangkok and shot for Fear Factor. It was great," she winds up.