Hrishikesh Mukherjee: ’Musical’ director

*Jaya* thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Always wanted to have a discussion around Hrishikesh Mukherjee, who I think was one the greatest directors of Hindi cinema and all his films had great music - music that still lingers in our hearts and will continue to do that... Please try to contribute to the thread as much as possible.. Thanks!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Jaya* thumbnail
rediff.com

Hrishikesh Mukherjee  Dinesh Raheja Hrishikesh Mukherjee's cinema could make you cry. You sniffle when Sharmila Tagore's emotionally withdrawn father surmounts his long-festering resentment towards his daughter and comes to the railway station to secretly rejoice in her eloping with her lover in Anupama or when Ashok Kumar opens his heart, overcomes his distaste and makes his daughter-in-law's son, the product of rape, light his son's pyre in Satyakam. Mukherjee's movies could make you laugh. You chuckle in the Wodehousian comedy of inconsequentialities, Chupke Chupke when Amitabh, posing as a professor of botany, grapples with the word 'corolla' or in Golmaal when a truant moustache leads to many merry muddles.
Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Landmark Films
 Year  Film  Cast
 1959  Anari  Raj Kapoor, Nutan
 1960  Anuradha  Balraj Sahni, Leela Naidu
 1966  Anupama  Dharmendra, Sharmila Tagore
 1968  Aashirwad  Ashok Kumar
 1969  Satyakam  Dharmendra, Sharmila Tagore
 1970  Anand  Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan
 1971  Guddi  Jaya Bhaduri, Samit Bhanja
 1973  Abhimaan  Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bhaduri
 1973  Namak Haram  Rajesh Khanna, Amitabh Bachchan
 1975  Chupke Chupke  Dharmendra, Sharmila Tagore, Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bhaduri
 1979  Golmaal  Amol Palekar, Utpal Dutt, Bindiya Goswami
 1980  Khubsoorat  Rekha, Rakesh Roshan
Sometimes, his films could make you laugh even while you were blinking hard to part the film of tears covering your eyes. Like in Anand, where Rajesh Khanna greets even death with a well-turned bon mot. Without being aggressively experimental or ostentatiously avant garde in form, theme or treatment, many of Mukherjee's 40-plus films have charmed audiences and critics alike because of their middle-of-the-road accessibility, heart-warming irony and literate sensibilities. Most of his captivating characters inhabit a middle-class, urban, educated milieu and lightly wear an air of high morality and intrinsic geniality. Amitabh Bachchan once said, "A director's films reflect his personality." Mukherjee was a soft-spoken, well-educated professional (he loves a game of chess), who learnt the ropes of filmmaking from venerable institutions like Kolkata's New Theatres and director Bimal Roy. He assisted Roy on classics like Do Bigha Zameen and Devdas. Roy's influence was evident in Mukherjee's choice of subjects. Mukherjee got to know Dilip Kumar during his stint with Roy and got the star to act in his directorial debut, Musafir (1957), an episodic ensemble drama about six characters and a house. Mukherjee had obviously made a name for himself as an editor because he got Kishore Kumar, Nirupa Roy, Suchitra Sen and Usha Kiron to costar in the film. At the box office, Mukherjee hit his stride with his second film, Anari (1959). Studded with hit Shankar-Jaikishen songs, Anari is the well-meaning point of view from a simple, but idealistic young man (Raj Kapoor) disillusioned with the rich (mainly heroine Nutan's uncle, Motilal).
Famous Songs from Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Films
 Song  Film  Singers
 Sab kuch seekha hamne  Anari  Mukesh
 Haaey re woh din kyon
  na aaye
 Anuradha  Lata Mangeshkar
 Itna na mujhse tu
 pyar badha
 Chhaya  Lata Mangeshkar,
 Talat Mehmood
 Tera mera pyar amar  Asli Naqli  Lata Mangeshkar
 Ya dil ki suno  duniyawalon  Anupama  Hemant Kumar
 Rail gaadi  Aashirwad  Ashok Kumar
 Zindagi kaisi hai paheli  Anand  Manna Dey
 Hum ko man ki shakti dena  Guddi  Vani Jairam
 Diye jalte hai  Namak Haram  Kishore Kumar
 Aanewala pal  Golmaal  Kishore Kumar
 Sun sun sun didi  Khubsoorat  Asha Bhosle
A certain sensitivity and a benign aura (Raj Kapoor sings Kisi ki muskurahaton pe ho nisaar, jeena isika naam hai in Anari), pervaded Mukherjee's cinema from the beginning. Anari featured Lalita Pawar as Mrs D'Sa, the sandpaper-tongued, but soft-hearted landlady. Mukherjee had such kindly character actors (often played by David) in many of his films. Witness 1971's Guddi where Sumita Sanyal plays Jaya Bhaduri's sweet but not saccharine bhabhi. When Guddi is adamant about wearing a miniskirt, the bhabhi placidly states, "Why would you listen to me? I am just your bhabhi, not your mother." With minimum fuss, Guddi establishes the depth of their mutual affection by changing into a sari. After Anari's success, Mukherjee bravely plunged into making small movies like Anuradha (which introduced the lovely Leela Naidu and harnessed maestro Ravi Shankar's composing talents), and Mem Didi (fuelled by Lalita Pawar's star power!) alongside Raj Kapoor and Dev Anand starrers. Anupama (1966), an intimate look at a daughter's unarticulated anguish at her father's rejection (he holds her responsible for her mother's death in childbirth), and her final assertion of her self, was a burnished gem. Mukherjee continued to take risks and cast Ashok Kumar, by then established as a character actor, as the protagonist of his Aashirwad (another poignant father-daughter tale) and steered him to a Best Actor Award win. Dharmendra produced Mukherjee's Satyakam and was rewarded with his best performance ever as the straight-backed soldier of truth.

Mukherjee's fame as a director loved by actors was confirmed with two biographical classics in the early 1970s -- Anand and Guddi -- films which boosted Rajesh Khanna and Jaya Bhaduri's careers tremendously.

His films were shorn of affectation so were his heroines. Mukherjee established the girl-next-door look with Jaya in Guddi but his heroines were archetypal even when he worked with glamour icons like Sadhana (sari-wrapped and beguiling in Asli Naqli), and Sharmila Tagore (no outlandish eyeliner in her Mukherjee films). Jaya continued her look in subsequent Mukherjee films like Abhimaan (1973), an astute observation of the attendant ego hassles which rise when a married couple is in the same profession. Namak Haram, released in the same year, boasted of an explosive performance from Amitabh as a man torn between his friendship with blue-collared worker Rajesh Khanna and his capitalistic ideology. Amitabh continued to work with Mukherjee over the next decade doing seven films in all. A certain prolificity in Mukherjee's career graph (he had three releases in 1975, Chupke Chupke, Mili and Chaitali), unfortunately led to his reworking several pet themes. Anand's dying male protagonist was transformed into a female cancer patient in Mili. Rekha's exuberant Khoobsurat persona found a faint echo in Jhoothi. His latest film, Jhooth Bole Kauwa Kaatein was a tepid reworking of his Golmaal.

After two sparkling comedies, Golmaal (1979) and Khoobsurat (1980), Mukherjee's career went into decline. He dabbled with television, was chairman of the National Film Development Corporation and, in 1999, attempted a comeback with Jhooth Bole Kauwa Kaatein.

Ill-health has increasingly curtailed his activities. But this 80 year old, who has been awarded the Padma Vibhushan and the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, can afford to rest easy on his many laurels.

rocker1 thumbnail
Your picture reminds me of sweet Jaya B. who was in quite a lot of his musical movies - from Guddu up to Abhimaan.
*Jaya* thumbnail

A cineaste in the mainstream cinema

Raju Bharatan He had already notably directed two of The Triumvirate in Dilip Kumar (Musafir) and Raj Kapoor (Anari) and was working with the third, Dev Anand (alongside Sadhana), on Asli Naqli (1962), when I ran into Hrishikesh Mukherjee to ask how far he was through with the film. Hrishikesh Mukherjee "The Asli part of it is over, only the Naqli portion remains!" came back Hrishikesh Mukherjee. By this, what the 2000 AD winner of the Dadasaheb Phalke Award meant was that the true directorial part of Asli Naqli shooting was complete, only the songs remained to be picturised! Such songs as Shanker's Tera mera pyaar amar (Lata) and Jaikishan's Chheda mere dil ne taranaa tere pyaar ka (Rafi)! It is not that Hrishi does not love music. It is that he always discerned a touch of artificiality inherent in the way songs had to come across on the mainstream screen. Yet, for all his reservations here, Hrishi usually did a good job on the song picturisation in his films ranging from Anupama to Anand. And this is what makes Hrishikesh Mukherjee a cineaste with a difference: his capacity to deliver while functioning, at all times, on the artistic fringe of commercial cinema. IN debuting as a director with the 1957 Musafir trilogy, Hrishikesh Mukherjee was ahead of his times in the matter of introducing 'parallel cinema'. But it was, antithetically, with Anari (1959) and Anuradha (1960) that this thinker-craftsman found his directorial feet. Sharmila Tagore Contrary to popular view, Anuradha was a disaster at the box office -- Leela Naidu in the title role appealing only to the cognoscenti. Hrishi, therefore, had belated reason to feel fulfilled when Anuradha won the National Award as the Best Film of 1960. Those days it was called the President's Gold Medal -- something that sounded much more impressive and impactive. And Hrishi, in Anuradha, showed himself to be a noteworthy disciple of Bimal Roy, coming up with a touching tale, still remembered for the way he got an Indo-Anglian, in Leela Naidu, to look the Indian part. Plus how memorably Hrishi, as the film's director, interacted, in Anuradha, with Pt Ravi Shankar as music director. Saanwre saanwre kaahe mose karo joraa joree baiyyan na marodon moree (in raga Bhairavi); Jaane kaise sapnon mein kho gayee ankhiyaan (in Tilak Shyam); Haaye re woh din kyun na aaye (in Jansamohini); and, clinchingly, Kaise din beete kaise beeteein ratiyaan piya jaane na (in Maanj Khamaj) gave virtuoso credence to Hrishi's claim that "Lata is Saraswati" -- a claim made when this diva was the theme-song of our discussion. FIRST Anuradha and then Anupama -- with Sharmila (Kuchch Dil Ne Kaha) Tagore in the name role -- won high critical acclaim for Hrishi, as did Satyakam (drawing out of Dharmendra a performance of unsuspected sensitivity and refinement). Hrishi himself regards Satyakam (1969) as his best film, the most satisfying in all respects for the way he got Sharmila, too, to act rather than play act. "With Satyakam," Hrishi told me, "I came as near perfection as I could possibly hope to do in mainstream cinema." That the lay public viewing Satyakam let him down at the counter was something for Hrishi to regret. He realised anew, following Satyakam, that quality is the first casualty on the all-India Hindi screen. It was this realisation that had prompted Hrishi to be prolific as a filmmaker. Before Satyakam, Hrishi (in 1967) had had Meena Kumari playing Majhli Didi -- the first time he turned to his mentor Bimal Roy's favourite author: Saratchandra. But Meena Kumari, by that stage, had a face so filled out that the mobility of visage distinguishing Parineeta was missing altogether, so that the show came a cropper. So had Hrishi's Meena Kumari-Guru Dutt starrer, Saanjh Aur Savera, been a total non-starter at the turnstiles. 'Triumph of Style Over Substance' ran The Times Of India heading in the case of this 1964 film -- for the flair with which a delicate subject had been handled by its resourceful director. This tribute, coming from the most fastidious of our reviewers, Bikram Singh, was a balm for Hrishi, but his dread of the box-office abided. Alaap hspace2 BY 1977, as his Aalap hit the screen at a time when the Rekha-Amitabh pairing represented a spot celebration for the gossip glossies, it was a distinctly nervous Hrishi I encountered at the press show. "You know, Raju, there are no fewer than nine songs by Jaidev in the film -- each a poetic gem. Yet I just don't know what's in store!" Aalap collapsed on the opening night itself and I don't think Hrishikesh Mukherjee was ever the same offbeat director again. This was in stark contrast to the confidence Hrishi had displayed in the wake of Aashirwad (1968). It was, critically viewing, not a great show by Hrishikesh standards -- the intellectual crowd around him told this stalwart director that he needed to watch his cinematic step. Yet Hrishi was confidence personified, believing that he had extracted, from Ashok Kumar (in Aashirwad), a performance of note. There were melodramatic overtones in the film and Hrishi's mindframe was a pointer to how the best of them view things in a lopsided light at some point or other in their career. But mainstream cinema is a great leveller. And, inside a year, Hrishi had taken fresh stock of himself and was back – as the darling of the critical fraternity, following Satyakam. That the film failed to find public acceptance is at once the triumph and tragedy of Hrishi. FEAR of failure always haunts a cine person of 's vintage. Wind back to the era in which he came up with a remarkable comedy in Memdidi (1961) – with Lalita Pawar in the title role. Tanuja here was the blithe spirit; and there were cameo characterisations forthcoming from Jayant and David. Yet Memdidi bombed so resoundingly that Hrishi, disheartened, said to me: "I don't think comedy is my scene, I shouldn't be straying into this area of cinema ever again." To think that the man speaking was one who was going to come up with such featherweight themes as Bawarchi, Khoobsurat, Golmaal, Naram Garam, Guddi and Chupke Chupke! His Mili (with Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bhaduri) swung to the other extreme and this is a measure of the man and his oeuvre. His Abhimaan (1973) had given the lie to the notion that he had problems fitting songs into the narrative. Abhimaan hspace2 "Abhimaan was based on the life of Kishore Kumar," Hrishi told me. "As you know, Kishore's wife Ruma (Amit's mother) was no less talented. Since Kishore had a bit of a struggle, early in his career, he was always conscious of Ruma's gifts as a performer." Hrishi certainly wove an effective tale in Abhimaan. But then, an engaging storyteller Hrishi always has been. Weigh the superstar-metamorphosing way he 'reversed the roles' of Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan in Namak Haraam after Anand. I pointed out to Hrishi that the punchline in Namak Haraam was Gulzar's pithily politicised dialogue. "But I always get the dialogue written in Bengali first!" Hrishi startled me by observing. "Only after that is it transliterated into Hindi." CONSIDER the irony inherent in the fact that Hrishi's political thinking flies in the face of the BJP-oriented NDA dispensation through which such high Phalke recognition has come his way so late in his life and times, when he is rising 79! As one who started out editing the classy films of Bimal Roy, brevity is the soul of Hrishi's width. His grip on the grammar of cinema is exemplified in his shot composition. As colour came to the Hindi screen with Junglee (1961), the impression was that directors of Hrishi's generation would not be able, mentally, to break with black-and white. "On the contrary," clarified Hrishi to me, "colour gives the director in me so much more depth and dimension – so much more scope to underscore my point. Take the bindi or the sindoor on the Indian woman's forehead in our cinema. Black-and-white can never bring out the true effect of the bindi or the sindoor. Whereas, with colour, the director drives his point home straightaway." Has the Dadasaheb Phalke Award, for a lifetime of achievement, come too late to Hrishikesh Mukherjee? At a time when, given his health, he is weary of life and has almost broken with cinema? Well, Hrishikesh Mukherjee, in the case of the Phalke Award, is (for him) in the dream company of Nitin Bose (1976), Satyajit Ray (1985) and V Shantaram (1986), not to speak of Raj Kapoor (1988). It was Raj Kapoor, playing Anari (1959), who had helped make Hrishikesh Mukherjee a cinematically viable proposition at the box office. Hrishi shared a special rapport with Raj and regrets the fact that they came together, afresh, too late in the careers of both.. TODAY, Hrishi is at peace with himself, having accomplished it all, seen it all. Seeing cricket on TV, he was supremely happy till recently. As percipient a thinker on cricket as on cinema, Hrishi but recently rang me in agitated tones, as the match-fixing scandal broke. "Is it really true, Raju?" he sought to know. And when I confirmed his worst fears, Hrishi felt outraged, remarking: "But this is betrayal of the nation, how could any one of our players possibly bring himself to do it?" The idealist in Hrishi is what has kept him going. He found himself a generational misfit on the sets of Jhoot Bole Kauwa Kaate, as everyone around concentrated on the cellphone rather than on the megaphone. Hrishi still did demand, and get, unwavering attention from Juhi Chawla and Anil Kapoor. But the very fact that he had to demand such attention saddened Hrishi no end. "WHAT have you to say about emerging a 'Phalke'?" I asked, as I phoned Hrishi to offer my cordial felicitations. "What's there to say now?" shot back Hrishi. "I have nothing, absolutely nothing, to say." Yet he had plenty to say on the big screen in his time, that is why you feel happy that the Phalke Award came to Hrishikesh Mukherjee at a point when he had reached that dangerous stage of being passed over forever.

Take a bow, Hrishida. Gout or no gout, you always did put your best directorial foot forward!

*Jaya* thumbnail

Originally posted by: shadyhtown

Your picture reminds me of sweet Jaya B. who was in quite a lot of his musical movies - from Guddu up to Abhimaan.

It is Jaya Bhaduri - Shady 😊 

deepboy thumbnail
I would love to become a goldie with a post in this thread.
I think your list misses one beautiful song by Lata ji.
This is from the movie Chupke Chupke.
The song is also
Chupke chupke chal re purvaiyaa..

A new goldie talks about a golden song in a thread dedicated towards a gem, but unfortunately a thread soon to be ambushed by glittering garbages..where this goldie might come up with "golden" posts...

Now thats unfortunate but again thats the bitter truth out here.Finally thanks Jaya for rejuvenating me with this refreshing thread of yours.
*Jaya* thumbnail

Originally posted by: deepboy

I would love to become a goldie with a post in this thread.
I think your list misses one beautiful song by Lata ji.
This is from the movie Chupke Chupke.
The song is also
Chupke chupke chal re purvaiyaa..

A new goldie talks about a golden song in a thread dedicated towards a gem, but unfortunately a thread soon to be ambushed by glittering garbages..where this goldie might come up with "golden" posts...

Now thats unfortunate but again thats the bitter truth out here.Finally thanks Jaya for rejuvenating me with this refreshing thread of yours.

Congrats Deep! For the Goldie..

Greater still that u become one, appreciating someone divine and priceless... Would like to have more contributions from you and all in this thread

rocker1 thumbnail
Welcome to Goldie-ness in the post about a Golden film-maker!
*Jaya* thumbnail
rediff.com

Showcasing some of the director's most popular films Guddi Cast: Jaya Bhaduri, Dharmendra

Jaya Bhaduri's launch vehicle. A sensitive, gentle glimpse into a teenager's life.

rocker1 thumbnail
Can't find much about him relating to music - they understimate his influence on music