Iam interested in buying a Shiv Puran. Please help

shivani003 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Hey guys I cant even tell you how much this show means to me. I know a lot about Vishnu and his avatars but never knew much about Shivji. Recently I have been feeling really drawn towards Shivji and Iam thinking of becoming a Shiv bhakt. I told my mum about how I feel and she told me that when I was born the pandit had told her that Iam destined to be a Shiv bhakt! (I dont actually come from a thoroughly religious background however I have strong attachment and respect towards Hinduism and Christianity as my dad is Hindu and my mum is Christian) I have never been to India in my life but I will be visiting soon in late Jan. Iam interested in buying a Shiv Puran but I have no idea where I can buy one. Can you guys give me any advice about this?

BTW do any of you guys happen to be Shiv bhakts? If yes then can you tell me what is the best way for me to be devoted to him? I know Monday is the day to be praying to Shivji. Iam not sure if I will be able to fast when Iam working but is it ok if I stay veggie on those days. 

Oh and also I will be visiting Shivji's favourite city Varanasi with my mum and Haridwar to do the dip in Ganga. Iam too excited! I plan on buying a shiv idol from Varanasi.  

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
When you come to India, you will find it in lots of shops.
You may also want to visit
http://www.godandguru.com/shiv-puran/

Scroll down to see the list of chapters.

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

Hi, you can read online Shivmahapura here

Most of the purana's by Geeta Press Gorakhpur, are good, but it's in Hindi.
This publication has it in English.

Edited by mnx12 - 12 years ago
reima thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
 You should buy an idol of shiva and parvati, but buying a linga means you have to pray and keep it in  all purity in a room where you pray and make sure you pray to it everyday; hence, buying and keeping a linga should only be done by people who know the rituals to keep it pure and know how to pray . Keeping idols or images are fine.  and all you need say is 'Om Namah Shivaya' on Monday- keeping a fast is not that difficult as it is only for three parts of a day- that is till late evening , light a lamp and then you can break the fast with some light vegetarian ( no onions, or garlic) meal. during the day people who fast often take fruits, nuts and juice if they cannot keep a total fast.
hope this helps.
shivani003 thumbnail

Originally posted by: mnx12

Hi, you can read online Shivmahapura here

Most of the purana's by Geeta Press Gorakhpur, are good, but it's in Hindi.
This publication has it in English.

Thanx! I can read hindi so thats not an issue in my case but thanks for both links 😊
shivani003 thumbnail

Originally posted by: reima

You should buy an idol of shiva and parvati, but buying a linga means you have to pray and keep it in  all purity in a room where you pray and make sure you pray to it everyday; hence, buying and keeping a linga should only be done by people who know the rituals to keep it pure and know how to pray . Keeping idols or images are fine.  and all you need say is 'Om Namah Shivaya' on Monday- keeping a fast is not that difficult as it is only for three parts of a day- that is till late evening , light a lamp and then you can break the fast with some light vegetarian ( no onions, or garlic) meal. during the day people who fast often take fruits, nuts and juice if they cannot keep a total fast.
hope this helps.

Thanx for the useful info. I didnt really know the difference between keeping a linga versus an idol. Personally I would go for an idol. Hmm I think I would opt for the fruits/nuts option when Iam working as I tend to get hungry really quickly.