Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swar_Raj thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Thanks a lot Juggy ji for the link. Heard song of Pardesi after no clue how many years....just wonderful
juggyE thumbnail

Originally posted by: Swar_Raj

Thanks a lot Juggy ji for the link. Heard song of Pardesi after no clue how many years....just wonderful

You're welcome, Swar_Raj ji...

Always happy to share my collection with other music lovers...
juggyE thumbnail
Chukkna ji, it was all OP Nayyar saaheb...
advil thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

My Journey to the World of Music - Anil Biswas

I was born on the 7th of July, 1914, at Barisal which is now in East Pakistan. Whenever I think of my childhood I naturally remember my mother. Ours was a very poor family and during this difficult time my mother encouraged my artistic leanings. My mother was musically inclined by nature.

It seems I could sing when I was four years old. People have seen me playing the tabla when I was five or six years old, and at ten, I could act well. Those days I would take part in dramas. When I was older I was often requested to sing at music concerts - and I would sing where seasoned artistes would perform. I composed my own songs, and listeners would be surprised to hear my new songs at these concerts.

At this time, I was in the metric class. A wave of patriotism swept the country and there was not a single boy of my age in Bengal who was not willing to sacrifice his life for his country. My desire to see my country attain freedom was responsible for my becoming associated with a revolutionary party. But it was because of this association I had to face many difficulties, and a simple boy like me ended up making and throwing bombs! There were the usual results which go along with such a life - my studies were interrupted. I went to jail six times during my childhood. My friends in jail were Niren Ghosh, a communist member of Rajya Sabha, and the Principal of the Shastriya degree college in Bina (M.P.), Satyavrata Ghosh. Many of friends died in jail.

During this period, I escaped in disguise to Calcutta from Barisal. The year was 1930. My father had passed away. I left home with five rupees in my pocket. I bought a ticket for 17 paise and came by steamer to Jalkoti and from there to Hullarhat. There I stayed on the verandah of local post office for three days. I got a job as a collie-cum servant and managed to reach Khulna, from where I travelled to Calcutta by train. I was in bad shape. I knew nobody in Calcutta except my childhood friend Pannalal Ghosh. He was shocked to see me. His elder sister took charge of the situation and asked me to stay in her house. I stayed only four days with Panna's brother-in-law, Lalit Chandra Roy.

I started life once again in Calcutta. I started washing dishes in a hotel. At the same time I kept looking out for other jobs. A magician called Monoranjan Sarkar used to come to this hotel for his meals and I became friendly with him. One day he heard me singing to myself and he asked me to accompany him to a music concert. We went to the residence of Raibahadur Aghornath, a big officer in the Education Department, who has an exponent of music. There were many other people there, among them Kavi Jitendranath Bagachi and J N Ghosh who was the owner of the Megaphone Gramophone Company. Sarkar told them I could sing well. On being asked to sing, I at once prayed to numerous devtaas and started singing shyama sangeet in a clear, unsophisticated voice. My song was appreciated by all the elders there.

When I look back today, I feel it was the day I gained the knack to gauge the mood of a mehfil! I ate a good meal after many days. Ray Bahadur asked me stay at his place and teach his grand children. Every night I had to sing religious songs for him. However I soon got tired of this pattern of life. I did not like being a guest - and being served good food all the time. I left after eight days as I got the job to teach music to the daughter of Dr. Pashupati Mitra for five rupees a month.

I was soon to realize the consequences of being a member of a revolutionary party. One day the police came to look for me at Pannalal Ghosh's brother-in-law's house. They also came to the residence of Advocate Mahendra Ghosh where I was staying teaching his six children. I was arrested and sent to Elisium Row jail. I suffered for four months. When I was released, I was asked by the police to become a spy and give information about freedom fighters. As I was jobless, I agreed and gave them false information; however, this could not go on for very long. I could not fool them.

Those days Kazi Nazrul Islam used to work in the Megaphone Gramophone Company as a lyricist and music director. It is because of his efforts that thumris and ghazals influenced Bengali music. This influence opened the way to experiments which were applauded by Rabindranath Tagore too. I approached Kazi da for a job as the police had found out that I was a 'fake spy' and I had no other means of livelihood. I had been influenced by Kazi da right from the childhood. In spite of his encouragement, I found it difficult to come up. In the same company, there was somebody who prevented my records from becoming popular. I learnt ghazals from Manju Sahib who was happy about my singing. However these records never saw the light of day. This is a very sad fact.

At this time, Nitayi Motilal, who was related to Baval Rajvansh, heard my songs. Nitayi da was one of the good music directors associated with rangmanch. He gave me a job with Rang Mahal Theatre. Even today this theatre is in existence. In the forties, it has a revolving stage! Shri Satu Sen was the director of the plays. While working as assistant director to Nitayi da I composed music for quite a few dramas. I sang, danced and acted in the plays. You will be surprised to know that my salary was only Rs. 40 a month. While at the Gramophone Company, I was paid five rupees for the lyrics and five for composing the music. I worked for three years at the Rang Mahal. This was the time I learnt the proper use of music, and how to reach the people with it.

My life in Calcutta was to undergo a change. I was becoming popular. One day I happened to meet the film director Hiren Bose. He showed an interest in me and asked me whether I would like to work in films. He made I t very clear that if I was, I would have to leave Calcutta. Till today I do not know why I was ready to, because I was staying comfortably there. I did not spend too much time thinking about it, and agreed. The year was 1934. I remember Hiren da agreed to pay me Rs.150 a month.

In Bombay I signed contract with Kumar Movietone. I brought four instrumentalists with me from Calcutta - all four could read musical notation well. The foundations of my belief in the importance of the orchestra were laid then. I many of my compositions, I have made good use of orchestra music. Right from then I have been attracted to the use of elements of western music which I felt were akin to the spirit of Indian music, and I used them unhesitatingly in my compositions. I did this so my music would have a wider impact. Whatever songs I composed at this time, I used instrumental music very effectively. It's true that before coming to Bombay, many of my Bengali songs had already become very popular. I was very involved in my work and I valued my self respect. One day, I quarreled with V. M. Vyas of Kumar Movietone and this resulted in my being jobless again. In the difficult days that followed, I did any kind of work. I persistently went round the film companies. Finally I landed a job with Eastern Art Company.

I composed the song 'Tere poojan ko baghwan bana man mandir aalishan' for the film Bharat ki Beti, 1935. I gained popular recognition because of this song. The songs of Bal Hatya and Khoon - I - Nahak were composed around the same time. Dharam ki Devi was made under the banner of Eastern Arts with Sardar Akhtar and Kumar who had become famous in New Theatres' Productions - in this film, for the first time my name appeared independently on the silver screen. I composed music for many films at Eastern Arts - Pratima, Prem Murti, Sher Ka Panja (1936), Bulldog and Gentleman Daku (1937). I got established in the film industry. I benefited as a Bengali - at that time becaue New Theatres as very prominent in the film industry, every Bengali was considered an artiste!

In 1936 I got my first big break. I joined Sagar Movietone and their Jagirdar, 1937, made my music popular all over India. After this film, Mehboob and I worked as a team. I formed an orchestra of 12 musicians. Such a large orchestra was considered extraordinary by the film industry. I feel the years from 1937 to 1940 were vital years for the Indian film industry. Ranjit began to invite music experts from Calcutta. Bombay Talkies had been established. Other companies sprang up - a kind of competitiveness emerged, which was very necessary. New techniques were being explored.

I often think of the problems we had composing songs. The same song had to be picturised on different sets. At outdoor shootings it was very difficult to maintain the correct pitch and rhythm of the voice. When I felt like, I often sang in my films. However, I stopped singing when one of the singers told me that he would be jobless if I sang myself! I was very fond of make-up. One day I enacted the role of a blind singer. You will not believe ,e, but the orchestra, the camera and the microphone had to walk with me along the road as I sang.

Just as I became famous, I began to think of resigning from Sagar Movietone. On Shri Chimnalal Desai's insistence, I stayed on till 1939. Later, Saghar Movietone and Film City amalgamated and became National Studio. My favourites till today are the songs from Vatan (1938), Ek Hi Raasta (1939), Alibaba (1941), Bahen (1941) and Roti (1942). Sometimes when I am alone I recall the tunes of 'Kyon humne diya dil' (sung by Sitara, from Vatan) and 'Kaahe karta der baarati' (sung by Anil Biswas, film Aurat). In 1942 I joined Bombay Talkies. The songs from Basant became very popular. I composed the music and the late Pannalal Ghosh supervised the orchestra. Kismet ran for three years in Calcutta at the Roxy. Every song in the film was a hit.

I composed many songs for Bomaby Talkies. Even today I am proud of films like Hamari Baat (1943), Char aankhen (1944), Jwar Bhata (1944) and Ilan (1946). The late Mukesh shot to fame with Pehli Nazar (1945) - it was not a Bombay Talkies production. Lata Mangeshkar is the discovery of all three of us Ghulam Haider, Khemchand Prakash and myself. In 1947 I left Bombay Talkies. India attained independence - and I too decided to become independent. I could try out new ideas; I decided to compose music for films of my choice. I do not know how many films I have composed music for. By 1952 I began to feel film music has passed from the hands of artistes and experience to those of business-minded people. To try and save the situation, I produced five films myself - but public taste had deteriorated and I was bitterly disappointed with the state we had been reduced to.

I think a great deal about Indian film music. From 1952 to 1957 I went abroad four times and my horizons widened further. These trips made me realize that our music directors, in comparison to those of other countries, have less sense of responsibility. We need expansion and experimentation in the field of musical instruments. By using instruments of a certain standard, we can obtain better sound range and tone color. In conclusion, I will add that I have borrowed many tunes from folk music. And as to whether the credit for the use of Rabindra Sangeet and classical music in Hindi films should go to me or not - I do not spend time thinking about it.

Anil Biswas
Courtsey: Madhuri, Dec. 1967
Edited by advil - 16 years ago
*dolly* thumbnail

The trend of Hindi film music started changing in sixties and one of the legendary music directors, Anil Biswas left the music industry to finally settle down in Delhi. Initially, when the compilation of Hindi film songs was started way back in 1968-69, it was decided to compile such information upto 1970 only due to deteriorating quality of Hindi film music.
        Again, it was Maestro Anil Biswas who released Volume-IV of Hindi Film Geet Kosh. The release function was organised at AIFACS Auditorium in New Delhi on 7th July 1986 to coincide with the 73rd birthday of the maestro himself. On 7th July 1896, the moving pictures were shown for the first time at Watson Hotel, Bombay and thus, films had completed 90 years on this day. Asa Singh Mastana, Mrs. Nirmala Husnlal (wife of maestroHusnlal), Meena Kapur, Mrs.Bina Chopra (Daughter of K.L.Saigal), Mr.P.D.Mathur (Brother of Mukesh) also graced the function.
        Details of about 7,000 songs of 1,007 Hindi (and its dialects) films censored between 1961 and 1970 have been given in 668 pages of this Volume.
       This volume happened to be the third in the series of Hindi Film Geet Kosh released in 1986.
        All the stock of this volume has since been sold out and its xerox edition is being provided to the music lovers on demand.

Edited by *dolly* - 16 years ago
advil thumbnail

Incidentally, Anil Biswas passed away on May 31st,2003. That means in 10 days time we pay homage to a composer par excellence!.

How about we start it right away, try remembering what he was, what he contributed and what khazana he has left back for us.

In short let's pay tribute to a genius!

*dolly* thumbnail
some of my fav.songs that i can think of..
composed by him..

"Seene me sulagte hain arman "
"Ae dil mujhe aisi jagah le chal"

advil thumbnail

Anil Biswas: The Man and the Musician

By: Sultan Arshad

It is our national characteristic to use superlatives for people when they are gone. We are also in the habit of distributing freely titles like king of acting or queen of histronies which in most of the cases are quite undeserving.

In respect, however, of Composer Anil Biswas, who was to become a non agenarian in a little over a month when he passed away, in Delhi, on 31st May 2003, one could use any number of adjectives and there would still be room for some more.

AnilDa or just Dada, as he was both reverently and lovingly address or referred to by his admirers, was truly a genius. And this he proved very early in his carreer through various successful experimentatios. It was he who alongwith two of his seniors R.C.Boral and Pankaj Mullick could be attributed to have revelutionised the film music and orchestration.

Instead of following the theatrical style of compositions, as their other contemporaries were then practicing, these three introduced simple and humable melodies which ushered in a new era in film music. Maestro Naushaad, himself a giant of a composer, has said it many a time that it was Anil Biswas who inspired him and his contemporaries a great deal in so far as the use of melody and counter melody in film songs and back ground score was concerned.

Born in a small town, Barisaal, East Bengal (now Bangladesh), Anil (breez in Sanskrit) Biswaas like most Bengalis developed a passion for music, in his case for singing, when he was hardly four or five years of age. The initial inspiration came from his mother who used to sing bhajans during her morning pooja sessions. Paying little attention to studies, the youngster started taking lessons in vocal classical music as well as in playing the tabla. He mastered both by the time he was in his early teens. Inspite of being emersed in music, Anil Biswas was not indifferent to the political turmoil the subcontinent, particularly Bengal was going through. By then Quit India Movement led by the communist party had gained momentum. Like most of his fellow Bengali youth, Anil too got drawn to it and joined the Party. As a result of active particpation in subversive activities against the British colonial government he became a wanted man for them. In order to avoid arrest and as advised by the Party seniors, he ran away to Calcutta (now Kolkata), the city which was the hub of all kinds of activities, including the cultural ones. After remaining under ground for some months he decided to shun politics and instead pursue a carreer in music. In the meantime he got acquainted with Qazi Nazrul Islam the revolutionary poet. Qazi, having developed a liking for the young man who not only possessed a melodious voice but could also write as well as compos versos, helped Anil Biswas join the Rang Mahal Theatre as a singer musician actor. One thing led to another and after sometime Anil Biswas managed to get a job as a singer composer, at the prestigious Hindustan Recording Company (HRC) where singer K.L. Saigal and maestro S.D.Burman were his senior collegues.

The stint with HRC however turned out to be a brief one. Not satisified with the working environment and unable to tolerate the constant discouraging attitude of some senior composers, Anil Biswas quit the job and left for Bombay (now Mumbai).

Film director Hiren Bose who knew him from Calcutta, assigned Anil Biswas to score music for Eastern Arts Dharam ki Devi, which he (Bose) was to direct. Besides composing tunes Anil Biswas also sang his debut song (Kuchh bhi nahin bharosa duniya hai aani jaani) for this movie and it was pitcurised on him too.

It was almost two years and 11 films (in seven of which he shared the honours with other composers) later that Anil Biswas was called upon to join Sagar Movietone to compose music for Jaagirdaar which Mehboobb Khan was to direct. The collaboration of Biswas and Khan brought rich dividends and Jaagirdaar released in 1937, turned out to be the first commercially successful movie for its composer. They continued to work together and between 1938-42 gave eight more hits; Gramaphone Singer, Hum Tum Aur Woh, Watan, Ek Hi Raasta, Ali Baaba (also made in Punjabi), Aurat (the original version of Mother India) and Roti.

By 1940 Anil Biswas had undisputedly emerged as one of the most creative and dependable melody makers. And having got his talent acknowledged in the face of competition with such accompalished composers as his fellow Bengali seniors; R.C.Boral and Pankaj Mullick, Master Ghulam Haider of Punjab and Khemchand Prakash of Rajasthaan was certainly no mean achievement.

The high point in Anil Biswas already successful carreer came with Bombay Talkies Ashok Kumar Mumtaz Shanti starrer Kismat, released in 1943. The film broke all previous box office records by running in a single theatre in Calcutta for over three years and which maintained for 30 years till Sholay was released in 1975, for the status of being the biggest grosser in Indian cinema. Almost each song of Kismat was a street hit. May it be the patriotic Aaj himalay ki choti se/ Ameer Baai and chorus, the wistful. Papiha re morey piya se kahiyo ja/ Paarul Ghosh, the devotional Abb tere siwa kaun mera Krishn Kanhaiya/ Ameer Baai or the extremely melodious lullaby Dheere dheere aa re baadal / Arun Kumar and Ameer Baai, they were hummed and sung at every nook and corner of the subcontinent. Anil Biswas however did not rest on the laurals he received for his score in Kismat but went on to scale greater heights in the year to come.The list of his exceedingly popular and / or melodious composition in subsequent films would spread over several columns.
One could therefore cite here the example of the very selected ones:
    Moray aangan mein chlitki chaandni ( Jwaar Bhaata / Paarul Ghosh ) Dil jalta hai to jalne de ( Pehli Nazar / Mukesh ) Suhaani biriya beeti jaaye ( Milan / Paarul Ghosh ) Yaad rakhna chaand taaro ( Anokha Pyaar / Lata Mangeshkhar) Door papiha bola ( Gajre / Suraiya ) Tumhare bulaane ko ji chaahta hai ( Laadli / Lata Mangeshkhar) Aye dil mujhe aisi jagah la chal ( Aarzoo / Talat Mehmood ) Zamanae ka dastoor hai yeh puraana (Lajawaab / Mukesh & Lata) Aye Jaan e- jigar ( Aaraam / Mukesh ) Shukriya aye pyaar tera shukriya ( Aaraam / Talat Mehmood ) Mann mein kisi ki preet basa le ( Aaraam / Lata Mangeshkar ) Badli teri nazar (Badi Bahu / Lata Mangeshkar) Seene mein sulagtay hain arman ( Taraana / Talat & Lata ) Beimaan torey nainwa ( Taraana / Lata Mangeshkar ) Mohabbat Tark ki main ne( Doraaha / Talat Mehmood ) Aa mohabbat ki basti basayenge ( Fareb / Kishore & Lata ) Ritu aye ritu jaaye sakhi si ( Humdard / Mannaday & Fata ) Tera hath hath mein aagaye ( Hamdard / Mannadey ) Raahi matwaaley ( Waaris / Talat & Suraiya ) Naadir deen tana dere na ( Pardesi / Lata Mungeshkar ) Rasiya re mann basiya re ( Pardesi / Meena kapoor ) Ja main to se naahin boloon / Sautela Bhai /LataMange-shkar) and
  • Kuchh aur zamaana kehta hai ( Chhoti Chhoti batein / Meena Kapoor ).

Very few people are aware of the fact that Vividh Bharati the commercial service of All India Radio ( AIR ) , when launched in the sixties, commenced its transmission with a song ( Naach re mayura ) composed in raag Megh Malhaar by none other than Anil Biswas who had by then said good bye to films and Bombay and joined AIR , Dehli station, as Producer Light Music. The song was rendered by one of his favourite singers Mannadey. The other two male singers he was very partial towards and whom he groomed and helped furthering their carreers were Mukesh and Talat Mehmood.

Among the female singers his top favourite was of course Lata Mangeshkar followed by Meena Kapoor whom he married in the fifties after his divorce from actress Ashalata. Though an admirer of Noor Jehan too, Anil Biswas could incidentially never get to use the Melody Queens vocals for any of his tunes. Similar remained the situation vis a vis his friend, the legendary singer K.L.Saigal. Among the other Pakistani singers he admired the voice quality of Mehdi Hasan and Nayyara Noor.

In a carreer spanning 30 years (1935-45), Anil Biswas scored music for 93 movies, in 15 of which he shared the credit with other composers, particularly during the initial years of his carreer. Among his films, two (Chaand and Jaasoos) remained incomplete and four were produced by the Govt of India stablilished Childrens Film Society. Anil Biswas also held the distinction of scoring background music for the first songless Indian movie, Khawaja Ahmad Abbas Munna (1954).

Anil Da was not just an extra ordinary melody maker, he was an exceptionally humane person too. While posted in Bombay from 1987 to 96, as Manager PIA, I was fortunate to have got several opportunities to not just meet him but also watch him interacting with his admirers. Anil Da and his wife, former singer, Meenaji (Kapoor) lived in Delhi. They would visit Bombay every year and spend the period Nov-Jan there to avoid the severe winter of the Indian Capital. It was on one such visit that they agreed to stay with me. It was a true honour and a previlage and an heart warming experience for me to have the wonderful couple as my guests for a month.

Almost every evening when we sat together and chated, a new facet of Anil Das personality would be revealed to him. How a Bengali whose academic carreer was interrupted even before he could pass the high school, acquired tremendous knowledge on various subjects. It was through his association with renowned lyricts like Allama Aarzoo Luckhnavi, Dr. Safdar Aah and Pandit Narendra Sharma that Anil Da learnt to appreciate the Urdu / Hindi literature, specially the poetry. Faiz Ahmad Faiz was also one of his dear friends and they would spend many an evening together whenever the great poet visited Delhi. Anil Da would sing his verses while Faiz Saheb would just smile appreciatively.

Anil Da is physically no more but his immortal melodies and pleasant memories are a treasure which no one can snatch from me.

paljay thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks Adi for the article, what an adventurous life Anilji had, I kind of envy such life.
advil thumbnail

Originally posted by: paljay

Thanks Adi for the article, what an adventurous life Anilji had, I kind of envy such life.

Thanks.

Indeed, it sounds almost unbelievable !! A fake spy, so many jail yatra's and so many cross roads to reach the final destiny ! it is indeed amazing.👏