Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago

Epics back on the box

PRIYANKA SRIVASTAVA   |   MAIL TODAY  |   NEW DELHI, SEPTEMBER 18, 2013 | UPDATED 12:00 IST
Lavish sets, designer outfits, brightly lit sequences and stateof- the- art backdrops are suddenly all over the small screen with the advent of a slew of mythological and historical shows. The spate of high- budget TV shows is an indication of the increasing competition between channels, which is what has prompted the re- introduction of these genres.

Star Plus' extravagant presentation Mahabharat , launched on Monday, is an indication that the Indian television is ready for a leap. Touted as India's most expensive show reportedly made on a budget of Rs.100 crore, the new Mahabharat has elevated the overall production scenario of TV.The stupendous response to Devon Ka Dev Mahadev , based on the life of Lord Shiva, on Life OK was a precursor of the trend, leading to the rise in mythological shows on primetime.

The recently concluded Ramayan was aired simultaneously on Zee TV and Doordarshan. The show received wide response from the audience. Zee launched shows based two prominent historical characters - Jodha Akbar and Buddha - even as Maharana Pratap based on the life of the Rajput warrior king continues to be one of the big- ticket shows on Sony.

"History and mythology need to be retold, especially at a time when the society is going through social and political changes," said Nikhil Madhok, senior vice-president (marketing), Star India.

"The new-age youth draws inspiration from icons showed in films and on TV. They would learn more about history, religion and beliefs through such shows," said B. K. Modi, chairman, Spice Group, and producer of Buddha. Grand sets, use of VFX technology and stunning locations are other reasons that have hooked the audience to these shows. The new-age mythological shows mark a clear departure from Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan and B. R. Chopra's Mahabharat that became superhits in the '80s.

Grand backdrops and use of VFX technology keep audiences glued to new mythological shows

Buddha
Created by: Spice Studios; the show aims at depicting unexplored aspects of Gautam Buddha's life.
TRP: Awaited
Quick check : The 52- episode saga is shot in opulent sets erected on a five- acre plot and stars Kabir Bedi, Sameer Dharmadhikari and Nigaar Khan. State- ofthe- art 3D graphics have been used to recreate the look of a bygone era. The show got marred by controversy when people from Nepal alleged that incorrect information was being being shown on the programme. Hours after the show went on air, it was blacked out in Nepal because it showed Kapilavastu, Buddha's birthplace, as located in India. It is expected to appeal to Buddhists across the world.

Amit Behl and Nigaar Khan star in Buddha.

Jodha Akbar
Created by : Ekta Kapoor; based on research by Dr Bodhisattva.
TRP: Awaited
Quick check : The megabudget show based on the love story of Mughal emperor Akbar and Rajput princess Jodha has Rajat Tokas and Paridhi Sharma playing the title roles. The show got embroiled in controversy after Rajput Karini Sena and Akhil Bharatiya Kshatriya Mahasabha raised objections over what they alleged were incorrect depiction of facts. According to the protesters, no princess by the name of Jodha ever existed in Rajasthan as there is no historical evidence for it. Despite protests, the show continues to enjoy good viewership.

Mahabharat
Created by : Swastik Production; reportedly made on a budget ofRs.100 crore
TRP : Awaited
Quick check : The first episode of the show aired on Monday primetime gave a fair idea of the extravagant affair in store. B. R. Chopra made the original version of the epic for TV in the late ' 80s. Later, Ekta Kapoor tried giving it a contemporary twist without much success. The latest edition of Mahabharat will have abundant use of VFX, extravagant sets and modern narrative to appeal to the modern youth.

Oscar- winning Bhanu Athaiya has created the beautiful outfits while Omung Kumar has worked on the sets. The lead cast includes Sameer Dharmadhikari, Sayantani Ghosh, Puja Sharma, Ratan Rajput and Saurabh Jain ( in photo).

Devon Ka Dev Mahadev
Created by : Nikhil Sinha, who has also opted for dubbed versions in Tamil, Malayalam, Oriya and Telugu
TRP : Peaked at 8.2
Quick check: Based on research by mythologist Devdutt Pattanaik and scripted by Utkarsh Naithani and Mihir Bhuta, this show at one point received TRP as high as 8.2. It is one of the longest running mythological shows in recent times with 417 episodes aired so far. Kashmiri actor Mohit Raina, who plays Lord Shiva, became an overnight star. In each episode, it presents lesser- known facts on religion and spirituality that the research team unearths from rare scriptures.

Bharat Ka Veer Putra: Maharana Pratap
Created by : Abhimanyu Singh; series introduced by Amitabh Bachchan.
TRPs : Around 3.1- 3.5
Quick check : The show is about the courageous Rajput warrior king Maharana Pratap. Child artiste Faisal Khan, a former Dance India Dance winner who essays the role of the young prince, has been one of the prime reason for the show's popularity.

The serial got embroiled in controversy when sections of the Rajput community dubbed it misleading and found it to be politically motivated historical revisionism with little relevance.

the other articles are too long.. hence posting the links below

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

What turns soap stars into crowd pullers, reveal organisers

Saloni Bhatia, TNN | Oct 13, 2013, 12.00 AM IST
More
A
A
What turns soap stars into crowd pullers, reveal organisers
Yash and Amrapali (she plays a negative role in Qubool Hai), who will next be seen on Nach Baliye, at a dandiya event
While the festive season means demanding schedules for TV actors, who have to accommodate cultural events on their usually busy to-do lists, it's not an easy task for the organizers as well, who don't just have to ensure that the planning is immaculate, they also have to keep in mind that the celebs they invite are crowd pullers to the venue. We ask some organizers, who talk about the guidelines they follow when they call a TV personality for the various dandiya nights in the vicinity.

Actors in demand
When the organizers approach these stars, the popularity quotient of the actors is a huge factor. Says Minesh Ashokbhai Patel, an event organizer based in Baroda, "Known faces are always in demand. Almost all the actors from Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, Tina Dutta (of Uttaran fame) and Hina Khan (the protagonist in Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai) are hugely popular. The process of approaching TV celebs starts two-three months in advance as the actors have to manage their shooting schedules along with these appearances." Also, the industry insiders say that TV actors are affordable as compared to film stars and can easily be roped in within a price bracket of 1-3 to 5 lakh. Pranav Soni, owner of events management company in Indore says, "TV artistes help draw families. There is a huge demand for Mohit Raina-Puja Banerjee (the Mahadev couple) and Taarak Mehta's starcast during these nine days." 
Female actors call for extra attention
It's the female actors who rake in the moolah during these festivities. "People connect more with female actors as they see them on screen in a traditional avatar and they feel happy to see them in person. The male actors we try to bring have to have a huge female fan following like Mohit Raina ( Devon Ke Dev Mahadev), Vivian Dsena ( Madhubala)," saysPraveen Mehta, a Jodhpur-based event manager.

What are they expected to do
These actors usually stay for an hour at the pandals and mingle with people. "Most of the dandiya parties are ticketed. These actors make an appearance for an hour or so during which they play dandiya with the guests, chat with people and wave to the crowd," informs Manoj Chaudhary, an event planner from Mehsana near Ahmedabad.

Character names used to popularise events
To promote these shows, the organizers cash in on the TV actors' popularity by using their screen names rather than their real names. Says Praveen, "Usually, the reel names of these actors have an instant connect with the visitors. So it becomes easier for us to generate hype around the event."

Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

God role kills career?

😛😉
God role kills career?
Nitish Bharadwaj as Krishna

Remember the late 80s, when shows like Mahabharat and Ramayan took over the small screen - with fans worshipping the TV screen each time Ram appeared or when Krishna motivated Arjun in the battlefield? It is no secret that actors playing divine characters usually attain a 'God-like' status for viewers. However, when these actors let go off their on-screen divinity and go for mortal roles, the same viewers find it difficult to embrace their devis and devtas' lesser, commonplace avatars. We speak to actors and industry people to understand why the on-screen God stereotype remains immortal and whether playing a divine character is a career-killing move.

People see you as god Swapnil Joshi, who played Krishna in the TV series Shri Krishna, agrees that people stereotype you, and often go too far. He'd told us earlier, "It was a different era when I played Krishna. People would consider your character to be God. I was all of 16 at that time, and people would come and touch my feet. In fact, some even brought their sick relatives to me and asked me to cure them. Many people who played mythological characters could not come out of that image. But I knew that somewhere I was only a medium for them to visualize Krishna."
Arun Govil, who is still revered as Ram by people, says, "The Ramayan I was a part of, was quite well-made. The shows at that time had high production values. Of course, as an actor, each one of us contributed, but it turned out to be quite good. People still remember me as Ram. Even now they come and touch my feet. I was recently in Jaipur and two people came and asked me, 'Are you the guy who played Ram in Ramayan?' and when I replied in the affirmative, they touched my feet. Somehow, my image as Ram is etched in people's minds. I think the benchmark set by Ram was so high that the other things which I did after that failed to surpass it. It's because the image of Ram is so strong that I wasn't offered many good roles or negative roles after the show. After that, I realised that it is of no use waiting for roles and I decided to step away. Now I am associated with social groups and am happy."

Blame the actor, not the role? While some people feel that it's the role that doesn't allow you to come out of the iconic image, others feel that it's the decisions of an actor that determine the course of their career. Nitish Bharadwaj, who played Krishna in Mahabharat, says, "When we did those shows, most of us were newcomers. Except for Mukesh (Khanna) and Puneet (Issar), all of us were new. We gave our sweat and blood to our characters and didn't care about the monetary aspects. Money and fame came as a result of our hard work. The serial became a landmark and our careers also got a big boost. While doing Mahabharat, I did Sangeet with Madhuri Dixit and Nache Nagin Gali Gali with Meenakshi Seshadri which did well. I don't feel I got typecast as Krishna, however, I would like to add that when people love you in a particular part, that role somewhere becomes your identity. In my view, we are all what we are because of our decisions. The impact of each person's decision is only known after a point of time. I was doing good films, but my own errors impacted my career. It was in 1992, just after Mahabharat, that I moved to UK. In 1996, contesting elections was another mistake. These two decisions were responsible for me not getting enough roles. Shah Rukh, Govinda, Akshay Kumar and Salman are all my contemporaries and they are quite popular in films. I lost focus and made errors but now I have decided only to focus on films - be it acting or directing them,"

Prem Sagar, creative director of the first Ramayan, who is presently involved with Jai Jai Jai Bajrangbali, echoes, "It all depends on the actor and the kind of roles he chooses. Swapnil Joshi has made a name for himself in Marathi cinema and his recent film has proved be the highest grosser in Marathi cinema. He reinvented himself after that role and is quite popular. I feel that an actor has to exercise caution in choosing the roles he does after playing the character."

Fresh faces preferred over popular ones If on-screen Gods can't be accepted in any other roles, then known faces can't be accepted as Gods either. TV serial makers preferred to cast relatively new people for such shows, so that they would look believable on screen. "The actors who were a part of such shows were new and had no particular image of their own. If you rope in daily soap actors, people aren't able to identify with them since they have seen them in a different character. Even if a known face plays a pious character, people would not be able to relate to her. Taking new people is a creative call," opines Sagar.
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

'Bhabhi' Dolly Sohi returns as 'maa'

Neha Maheshwri, TNN | Oct 16, 2013, 12.00 AM IST
'Bhabhi' Dolly Sohi returns as 'maa'
Dolly Sohi
Dolly Sohi " better known as TV's eponymous 'Bhabhi', has made a comeback, returning as a mother this time as she plays a mom to two protagonists in two different shows. 

Post-marriage to Canadian Avneet Dhanowa, Dolly shifted to India two years ago, while her husband will relocate eventually. The actress did cameos in 'Hitler Didi' and 'Tujh Sang Preet Lagayi Sajna' before but her career has seen a lull since. However, she plays Mahadev's (Mohit Raina) mother-in-law in 'Devon Ke Dev' and the superhero's mom in Hatim; both Nikhil Sinha productions. 

She confirms, "This is my first in the mythological genre and it's also the first time I will be seen in a superhero show. Incidentally, I used to watch Mahadev as Mohit played my son in Bhabhi." 

How will she manage two shows simultaneously? "Both the shows are from the same production house, so it will be taken care of," she says. And what about balancing motherhood and work? "My daughter Amelie is three now and I have my support system in my mother, so I think I will manage," says the actor. 

Nikki_Titli thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Credit : Tannu

http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/raipur/typecasting-doesnt-affect-actor-says-mohit-raina.html

Typecasting does not affect the actor if he delivers his work with responsibility besides having a positive attitude towards the future, expressed TV actor Mohit Raina popular for his role in the TV series Devon Ke Dev Mahadev while interacting with reports here on Sunday. Raina was in the city to participate in Ravan Dahan programme at Ravanbhata.

Talking with reporters the model-turned-TV actor said Indians are very emotional with great attraction for our gods. "The role of Mahadev which I play in Devon ke Dev Mahadev is quite challenging has it combines human touch with divinity. Initially I was under great pressure that how would I play the role by after deep research and training I am now able to play the role," said Raina.

Raina who grew up in Jammu, had finished in the top five slot in the Grasim Mr. India 2005 competition. He started his acting career with a sci-fi TV show called Antariksh (2004) and later went on to play a role in the Mithun Chakraborty starrer film Don Muthu Swami (2008).

To a query about delivering dialogues in pure Hindi, he said since my child days I had learnt Sanskrit which has helped me a lot in doing justice with this grand role.

Pooja Bose, TV actress who is playing the role of Goddess Parvati in the serial, said acting in mythological serials bring a sense of discipline in the actor as audience expectations are high from the actors playing the mythological characters.

Proud-India thumbnail

Mahadev's original Parvati refuses female lead in Buddha

Mahadev's original Parvati refuses female lead in Buddha twice!
Sonarika
Sonarika Bhadoria, who earlier played Parvati in Devon Ke Dev Mahadev and was recently replaced, was approached to play the lead role of Yashodhara in the TV show Buddha, but she refused.

She says, "I was approached twice by them to play the lead role, but unfortunately, I had to turn it down. I do not want to get slotted in similar roles. After playing Parvati I am offered similar roles but I am focusing on a career in films. If that ambition does not work out, I will think of doing television."
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

"Talks are still on but nothing has been materialized yet"

Says petite and gorgeous actress Neha Marda who is still in two minds whether to act in another Television show or not. If all goes well then Neha's fans would be delighted to see her back on screen soon.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 | 6:48:33 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)   |  Copyright: India-Forums.com/TellyBuzz  |   4 Comments  |  5348 Views

According to the latest media reports, Zee TV's upcoming show which is going to be produced by Pearl Grey's Spellbound productions is very keen on casting gorgeous actress Neha Marda as the female lead of the show. The actor Rahil Azamand Siddharth Arora are also considered for the male lead of the show.

Neha who has earlier shown her acting skills inColors popular show Balika Vadhu as Gehna and later on went ahead to do a cameo in Life OK's mythological Show Devon Ke Dev. Mahadevwould probably come back on screen soon.

When asked Neha about the same, she said, "Talks are still on but nothing has been materialized yet."

Well it will be a treat for her fans to watch her on screen. 

Further she added saying, "I have still not decided whether I will take up the show or not but let's see what happens further."

But we hope, Neha bags this show and amaze her fans with her acting skills again.

TellyBuzz wishes you all the very best!!

Krishma Solanki

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

'Mahadev' actor Mohit Raina is keen to get into Bollywood

Mohit Raina, who essays the title role in 'Devon Ke Dev... Mahadev', may have made a name for himself due to the popularity of his mythological show

The telly actor, however, has also set his sight on Bollywood. Small screen sources state that he was considered for a project by a leading filmmaker. He has also been spotted at a production house's office often.

Mohit Raina in Devon Ke Dev Mahadev

The towering actor, who has an attitude to match, had grabbed headlines earlier this year when Bollywood star Priyanka Chopra's aunt had stated that TV's Mahadev is the ideal choice for her niece. She felt they made a good match. When PC was asked about it, she had apparently blushed and said that her maasi felt she could be Mahadev's Parvati!

Mohit Raina

Ever since the PC maasi news did the rounds Mohit had hit the headlines and also became a butt of jokes. Says a source, "Families of a lot of Bollywood folk watch the show which has been running for almost two years. He has been offered a film which fits his multi-dimensional persona. He had a script narration and he is keen to step on to the big screen."

Though Mohit has featured in several other shows, his claim-to-fame remains Mahadev. The actor who shoots for the mythological on a specially created set at Naigaon shoots for almost 18 hours a day as getting in and out of the costume alone takes a few hours. When asked about his big screen outing, Mohit says, "No comment." He is rumoured to be dating TV actress Mouni Roy.

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2013/oct/251013-mahadev-actor-mohit-raina-is-keen-to-get-into-bollywood.htm

Don_theEvil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Why is Mahadev - Mohit Raina called arrogant'?
Why is Mahadev - Mohit Raina called arrogant'?
Mohit Raina
Mahadev aka Mohit Raina tells us why people think success has gone to his head. 

Even before you start to chat with him, there is a 'no personal questions' clause that Mohit Raina, aka Mahadev from Devon Ke Dev...Mahadevstarts with. Mohit shies away from answering any questions on his personal life, his early years in TV, his friendship with his co-actors and feels that those are "questions" that people can easily ask people around him. He says, "If you want to ask me about my life before coming to Mumbai, my family and all...then I have a lot of people around me who will tell you that. You can ask them." It seems quite bizarre that people would have want to ask other people around him to know about him but the Devon Ke Dev Mahadev actor wants that. 

That remark leads us to ask him why do people think he is "arrogant" or "someone for whom success went to head" and also someone who does not really talk to people. Ask him about it and he says, "I don't know how that impression has been formed in people's minds because I am regularly available to everyone during my lunch break. Besides, for the last two years I have not had a social life at all. I shoot in Naigaon which is 45 kms away and it takes me a couple of hours to get in and out of this costume. Earlier, the show was not conceptualized to have the main focus on Mahadev but later the tracks changed and I have been working for 14-17 hours everyday. I am not complaining, I love the job but people need to understand that I am so focused in my work right now that I don't have time for casual conversations or partying right now." Point taken.

Proud-India thumbnail
  • 28 Oct 2013
  • Hindustan Times (Mumbai)
  • Kavita Awaasthi kavita.awaasthi@ hindustantimes. com

DON'T WANT TO SETTLE DOWN RIGHT NOW'

Popular actor Mohit Raina says marriage can wait; clarifies recent rumours surrounding him

Famous for playing Lord Shiva, actor Mohit Raina has been in the news lately for many reasons " from his alleged relationship to his arrogance. In this chat, Mohit clears the air and also talks about his future plans.

It's been two years since Devon Ke Dev...Mahadev went on air. Are you feeling the fatigue of playing the character?

It's been around 524 episodes only. I'm ready for many more years and 1,000 more episodes. I'm looking forward to playing Lord Shiva for a long time.

There are rumours that the show might end in December.

I don't think that's happening as the audience won't let it. They would love to see more stories of Mahadev, and we have many of them lined up.

After playing Lord Shiva, do you worry about getting good offers in the future?

I don't think that way. I'm hopeful that someone will give me good work and a richer character.

People feel that you are an arrogant person. Does that perception bother you?

I've not heard or read anywhere that I'm arrogant. I'm surprised you've heard this. I work 20 hours a day and I have no life beyond work. I go to the gym, then shoot and sleep for a few hours.

Why did you refuse to be part of Mallika Sherawat's show?

That was just a rumour. The channel wouldn't have asked me as they wouldn't have liked to promote their God' like that on another show. Anyway, I am not the kind of person who'd do a reality show. At best, a dance reality show would appeal to me.

But you turned down Nach Baliye too...

That was a rumour too. I would be keen to be part of a dance show, but the only form of dance I know right now is tandav. I'd get out in the first round.

Recently, there was speculation that you would be joining a political party.

Again a rumour. I wouldn't consider joining a political party at this stage. I'm happy acting for now. All these stories have come out in the last few months. I don't think I am that famous to be talked about so much.

There were reports that your mom gets marriage proposals for you.

Till date she hasn't got even one, which is a good thing. I don't want to settle down right now as I won't be able to do justice to a relationship.