Views

Users

Frequent Posters

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago

LookBack 2012: Shailesh Kapoor on 10 Things that Defined 2012 for Television

By Shailesh Kapoor

It's been more than an eventful year for the television industry in India. Digitization in the four metros is finally a reality (almost), and this sets the ball rolling for the nationwide digitization that we all eagerly anticipate. It was also the year of tussle on the measurement side, with the NDTV lawsuit setting the cat amongst the pigeons. I hope 2013 is remembered as the year of BARC, where we see a new, more robust currency research being set up by our industry bodies.

But besides these two key areas of activity, 2012 was also a year of a lot of action on the content and marketing front. Here is my pick on the top 10 events or trends of the year, which may have a lasting impact on the industry in the times to come.

9. Mahadev rewrites mytho rules: Almost all the success our television has seen in the mythological space has been 'calendar art' in nature. With its more atypical yet extremely entertaining treatment of Mahadev, Life OK ushered in a new trend. The programme managed to build popularity as the year passed, and this, in turn, should encourage other channels to break the stereotypical mytho mould, starting with MaaDurga on Colors. After the failed experiment in Mahabharat on 9X, Mahadev has proven that some of the holy cows of the mytho genre are overrated.

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Tracks, twists & TRPs become the showstoppers on TV

TNN | Dec 28, 2012, 12.00 AM IST
inShare
More
A
A
READ MORE Converge|Aamir Khan
Tracks, twists & TRPs become the showstoppers on TV
Devon Ke Dev Mahadev
Mythology, crime, thrillers and soaps with dollops of emotional quotient ruled the small screen in 2012 

Figure this: in the last few months, the small screen has witnessed many fascinating tales unravel — leaps in eight daily soaps, introduction of tracks where the ex unleashes some surprise twists to the tale on 10 shows, and the big fat Indian wedding unfurl innumerable tracks involving the reel shaadi of lead couples in 14 shows simultaneously. 

This is just the icing on the cake. 2012 as a year, had it all — romance, intimate moments, love-hate stories, and of course, drama high on adrenaline. Whether it is intimacy, jail tracks, battle of the exes, marriages, leaps, remarriages or some near fatal mishaps, illness, prime time daily soaps were seen riding on the same boat with similar tracks. 

Genres, different they might be, but what made the shows converge at one point was the fact that the tube banking on that one formula which will instantly grab the eyeballs. And it showed in the TRPs that the shows raked in. Analyse this: good TRPs of mythological shows like Devon Ke Dev Mahadev are also having a trickle down effect on soapbox with different channels coming up with new shows based on folklore. Also, the successful run of CID for 15 years, plus the advent of crime based shows — fiction as well as non-fiction and the awareness that Aamir Khan created about various social-issues on the show Satyamev Jayate has had the same effect. 
Are channels banking on a success formula and trying to make the most of what audiences like to watch? Producer Sudhir Sharma says, "90 per cent of the shows on Indian television are family-centric, which narrows down the creative process with all its limitations. Family affairs are about about marriages and love, so all shows fall in the same zone resulting in overlapping of tracks. At the same time, no track is a facsimile because the treatment of every track is different. For example, not all leaps have the same storyline. The tone and texture of each leap is different." 

Garnering considerable TRPs seems to be the catalyst of introduction of success formulas on TV. Pooja Gor says, "Showbiz is all about business. If something works on one show, every show wants to bank on that success formula in a bid to garner good TRPs." However, the actress feels, the "success based on these kind of tracks is short-lived."
At the same time, many in the industry feel, certain tracks have become imperative for the creative process on TV. "Marriage tracks and the return of the exes are the need of TV. The continuous process of delivering 21 episodes a month call for some freshness in the storyline which only different kind of tracks provide," says Sharma. 
Three new mythology shows have started in last three months with producer Siddharth Kumar Tewary's show based on Mahabharat also in the line up. Producer Nikhil Sinha says, "There is no fix success formula. Novelty factor always works and novelty is something which can't be repeated nor replicated. The story needs to have the right mix of authenticity, fresh content, emotions, costume and the look and feel should make the audiences feel good when they watch it. "
Well, with the hit track record ruling the roost on the small screen, Tellyland seems to be banking on the concept of hit hay toh fit hay. With so much on the viewers' platter, only time will tell how much TRP froth the new shows can create.
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Divine intervention
Life OK's Devon Ke Dev Mahadev made the gods very happy in 2012. Producer Siddharth Kumar Tewary will begin shooting, in earnest, his very own version of Mahabharat for Star Plus later in the new year. Meanwhile, Ekta Kapoor is gearing up for her magnum opus tentatively titled Jodha Akbar with best of actors from the film and TV industry but that will only air on Zee in early 2014.

Nikhil Sinha, Triangle Film Company 

Whether it was Baba Aiso Var Dhoondho or Devon Ke Dev Mahadev, we created a new path. It's been a rewarding year. We made Mahadev with a different narrative style and it was accepted. It changed the definition of how mythologicals are presented. Today, makers are no longer apprehensive to try out newer things.  

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Epic Mahabharat on the floors!

Sunday, December 30, 2012 | 10:58:16 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)    66 Comments
Epic Mahabharat on the floors!

With the popular mythological series like Devon Ke Dev. Mahadev, Ramayan, Durga, etc. already doing well on-screens, another epic mythological series Mahabharat is all set to make its come back...

Siddharth Kumar Tewary, who is known for producing shows like Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hin Kijo, Phulwa and Navya is now coming back with the epic show Mahabharat. There had been a lot of speculations about the making and scrapping of the show. Now, the wait is over and our sources have informed us that the shoot has finally begun.

The war sequence is being shot in the outskirts of Jaisalmer. Buzz is going around that the show will be aired daily and not weekly but is yet to be finalized. Earlier, the show was being expected to take the time slot of Satyamev Jayate but it couldn't make it. The making of the show has not been easy for the makers, as it involves three years of re-search and pre-production.

The star cast of this show is going to have a mix of many newcomers and few known faces. All India auditions have been done but the final casting is still on as it will be having lots of characters. According to our reliable sources, Shaheer Sheikh has been approached to play Arjun and Deblina Chatterjee to play Draupadi. Anita Raj has been approached to play the character of Satyavati but due to some reasons it didn't got finalized.

The show is expected to go on-air after about 3-4 months.   

Reporter and Author: Anwesha Kamal

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
mythology is back

He came, he saw and he conquered. We are talking about Lord Shiv 
or rather the serial Devon Ka Dev Mahadev based on him. While it's 
not the first mythological to trace the journey of Shiv — earlier there 
was Om Namah Shivay — it certainly clicked with the viewers in a 
big way. Producer Nikhil Sinha attributed it to the show looking and 
being shot in a contemporary way. Its success spawned the comeback of mythos on TV
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Mohit and Sonarika's 'Godly' experiences in their real lives!

Monday, December 31, 2012 | 5:14:33 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)    26 Comments
Mohit and Sonarika's 'Godly' experiences in their real lives!

Life Ok's Devon Ke Dev. Mahadev's Mohit and Sonarika aka Shiv and Parvati are experiencing unlimited fame in their real lives with the show touching unlimited heights of success and popularity…

Nikhil Sinha's Devon Ke Dev. Mahadev has gained a lot of popularity and has received  a cult status in the mythological genre. People in the metros as well as in small towns are following the show regularly. The show is also being appreciated by other actors from the industry and producers as well which rarely happens with a show. The show has gained immense popularity across  India, especially in the cities like Jaipur, Bhopal, Ahmedabad, Himachal Pradesh and urban metro cities like Delhi, Mumbai and even Hyderabad and Kolkata.  

The lead stars of the show Mohit Raina and Sonarika Bhadoria's lives have been changed ever since they are doing this show. They are now no more being treated as normal human beings.

Actor Mohit Raina adverts, "I am getting extra love from everyone. Wherever I go, people look at me as if Lord Shiva has arrived and I get a lot of attention which sometimes becomes difficult for me to handle the situation. People start getting emotionally attached to me because they perceive me a 'Godly' figure and then have to make them understand that I am just a regular human being. A lot of people come to the sets and want their pictures clicked with me and they want me to give them 'aashirwaad.' They want to touch my feet and I have to stop them from doing so. Few fans even get kheer for me on the sets."  

Speaking about a fan incident, Mohit continued, "A kid had come all the way from Himachal and he wanted a photograph taken with me with a special demand. His mother had given him strict instructions that she wanted a photograph where he would be sitting by my feet and my hands should be on his head, blessing him. Even after insisting him so much that I am not God, I had to fulfill his desire because he wished that pic to be clicked only for his mother. I told that kid that, "I will do it since your mother has desired."

Sonarika Bhadoria who plays Parvati is also undergoing the same situation. Sonarika says, "Its overwhelming to get this much love and respect from the people. wherever I go, people do touch my feet or offer pranaam. Sometimes, even old ladies do so and I see myself in a very awkward situation. People come up to me and ask for blessings. I have experienced that the audiences shower unconditional love and respect."

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
_

n Indian TV

• January 2, 2013
  •  
  • 0 comments

While small screen is largely dominated by strong, women characters, our super stylish studs too create waves in telly-circles, for obvious reasons. Here's the current crop of the hottest television dudes in no particular rank…

Karan Singh Grover – Qubool Hai

The handsome hunk, also known as small screen's Salman Khan, Karan Singh Grover opted for a completely different avatar this year. He emerged as a much conservative, religious, Muslim guy in the TV serial. Earlier, we've 'relished' the stylish man in naughty, romantic roles.

Vivian Dsena – Madhubala

He is sophisticated, classy and absolutely in demand – on the screens and off it! Popularly known as RK, the superstar, in Madhubala, Vivian has certainly charmed the pants off his (female) fans. His super romantic, charming chemistry with his leading lady is an added bonus for the loyal viewers.

Barun Sobti – Iss Pyar Ko Kya Naam Doon

This utterly sexy guy with a super-hot body to die for, came across as an arrogant and stubborn businessman in the initial episodes – and he clearly sent us into raptures for the same reasons. The moment his character flaunted his soft, emotional side, we fell for him all over again.

Rithvik Dhanjani – Pavitra Rishta

This chocolate-boy could kill girls with his looks! No wonder, his charming looks and irresistible smile had him stand out despite being a part of an ensemble cast of the family show!

Karan Kundra – Gumrah

A mere mention of this extremely handsome and charismatic guy, makes many girls out there go week in the knees! Need I say more?

Mohit Raina – Mahadev:

Playing Lord Shiva, Mohit gets ample opportunities to display his chiseled body – courtesy the 'revealing' outfit the Hindu God is believed to be wearing, as per our mythological books.

Siddharth Shukla – Balika Vadhu

This adorable man not only brought rays of light in Anandi's life, but also struck an instant chord with the female viewers, thanks to his hard-to-ignore good-looks and endearing ways to woo his lady.

Kushal Tandon – Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai

His mischievous manners and amusing pranks are an added bonus for his female fans, who go gaga over his debonair looks the moment he appears in a frame.

Karan Tacker – Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hai

That he comes across as an attractive man and an absolutely loving husband, ensures his name on this list, despite his character being not as appealing as that of his screen-brother.

Gurmeet Choudhary – Punar Vivah

Serious roles suit Gurmeet Choudhary to the T. Last seen as Maan Khurana in Geet, Gurmeet has yet again stormed the small screens this year with his no-nonsense character portrayal in Punar Vivah.

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Naresh Suri as Sumali in Mahadev!

By Tejashree Bhopatkar, TNN | Jan 4, 2013, 01.24 PM IST
Share More
A
A
Naresh Suri as Sumali in Mahadev!
Naresh Suri

RELATED

The new digitalization system for trapping TRPs have not made any difference with the fans of Life OK's celebrated show Devon Ke Dev Mahadev, produced by the Traingle Film Company as the show continued to rock the ratings on the channel. 

Accordingly,the makers continue to bring in twists and interesting story tracks in a contemporary way to grab larger eye balls. 

Soon after, Ganesha and Kartikeya's track, the show will move towards another story related to Mahadev, where the show will see the entry of Raavana's grandsons, Mali and Sumali. Hence, to make justice to the character, the makers have roped veteran actor Naresh Suri, seen in Adaalat as judge and acted in many television shows, to essay the character of Sumali, the grandson of Raavana

Sumali along with his two brothers will pray to Brahma and will ask that their brotherly love would be unbreakable and no one would be able to defeat them. 

When contacted, Naresh Suri confirmed him being part of the show but was busy in the shoot. 

This particular entry is expected to telecast soon. 

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Mahadev fulfills Deepraj Rana's childhood dream

By Vijaya Tiwari, TNN | Jan 5, 2013, 01.17 PM IST
Share More
A
A
Mahadev fulfills Deepraj Rana's childhood dream
Deepraj Rana

RELATED

Triangle Film Company's mythological saga Devon Ke Dev.. Mahadev aired on Life OK is witnessing new entries one after the another. And the latest actor who will add some more drama to the on-going plot is Deepraj Rana.

Sources inform that well-known actor Deepraj Rana who has Bollywood hits like Saathiya andMangal Pandey- The Rising to his credit will essay the role of Parshuraam. With Parshuraam's entry the story behind one of the 108 names of Ganesha will be revealed. In an interesting turn of event Parshuraam who wants to meet Mahadev (Mohit Raina) will get into a fight with Ganesha as he doesn't allow Parshuraam to meet Mahadev. During this fight Ganesha will lose one of his teeth. Hence, Parshuraam will play a significant role in giving Ganesha, a new name Ekdanta. Deepraj Ran's entry will be aired next week around Thursday.

When contacted, Deepraj Rana said, "I always wanted to be associated with Devon Ke Dev... Mahadev. So I am very excited to have finally got a chance to work on this show. It's a very interesting co-incidence that I always wanted to play a role like Parshuraam since childhood and finally my dream has come true. I have already started shooting and I am looking forward to the show."

OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail

Who will win the race, Kartikey or Ganpati?

Monday, January 07, 2013 | 3:55:34 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)    2 Comments
Who will win the race, Kartikey or Ganpati?

Maha episode in Life OK's Devon Ke Dev. Mahadev...

In the forthcoming maha-episode of Life OK's mythological soap Devon Ke Dev. Mahadev , viewers will witness a race between Kartikey and Ganpati which will draw a conclusion about who is the superior God.

Mahadev and Parvati give a task to Kartikey and Ganpati in which the two of them have to take three rounds of the Universe. The one who reaches first will be called the Superior God.

Kartikey has a flying peacock and Ganpati has a mouse which proved the fact that Kartikey would win. Ganpati takes three rounds of Mahadev and Parvati and tells them, " Mahadev and Parvati are my universe".  Looking at his bravery and intelligence, Mahadev and Parvati award him the title of the 'Superior God'.

To watch this interesting Maha episode, tune in to Life OK on 13th January at 8pm.

Reporter and Author: Krishma Solanki