love1 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
religious ronit

Ronit Roy

Ronit Roy
I am a religious person. I pray everyday. Actually, I delve so deep
into religion that I feel I have reached a stage where I am confused.
I have so many questions to ask, so I feel the need for a guru to
answer these questions. I know a few pundits and gurus who help me
interpret the scriptures and understand it better. They are my
medium. God is this supreme power. God is in everybody. The power is
in each of us. There are some who have tapped that power and feel
close to him.
Looking at the pressures of daily life, it's not easy for one to
really reach that level of attainment. That level is where you find
out what life really is. That's a point where all your questions are
answered and you are one with your existence. There's a sense of calm
and you feel you are beyond everything.
There are some people who have attained this sense of satisfaction.
They are people who seem to have found the path and they know where
to go. Most of us don't know where to go. We are still looking for
that path. What I believe is that some reach (the path) earlier, some
later, some don't at all. Maybe they don't feel the need for it in
their life-time.
Prayer is important to me. I do puja everyday and read Hanuman
Chalisa daily. And when I have the time I read other mantras. Over
the past few years when I was not busy working I read the scriptures,
books and started exploring it further. It's more understanding, than
reading. Basically there are no specifics. It's entirely upto the
individual, how he interprets it or how his teacher helps him
interpret it.
At home, we do not start anything new without a puja. That's least
one can do to keep in touch with the spiritual side of our lives.
People turn to God when they feel completely helpless. That's very
good because it's the beginning of realisation that there is the
supreme power to help. But, one should not expect miracles. God is
<>with me every moment. I try to take his name as frequently as
possible.
On the sets, I greet people saying Jai Balaji. When somebody gives a
good shot I say 'Jai Bajrangbali, great shot'. My spot boy's name is
Om, I call out to him 50 times a day. I feel nice.
As told to Roshni Olivera

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ronit thumbnail

Hey love 1 i guess you are a Ronit roy fan.If you are then i am very glad to meet you because i am also his fan he is really cool and the pictures and his interviews which you are having.Well i am having the same pics and the same interviews.I will be sending his interview here soon along with his pics

love1 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thanx Ronit
 waiting to hear from you😊
Ronit thumbnail
      var day=new Array(); day[0]="Sunday";day[1]="Monday";day[2]="Tuesday";day[3]="Wednesday";day[4]="Thursday";day[5]="Friday";day[6]="Saturday"; var months=new Array(13); months[0]="January"; months[1]="February"; months[2]="March"; months[3]="April"; months[4]="May"; months[5]="June"; months[6]="July"; months[7]="August"; months[8]="September"; months[9]="October"; months[10]="November"; months[11]="December"; var time=new Date(); var lmonth=months[time.getMonth()]; var tday=day[time.getDay()]; var date=time.getDate(); var year=time.getYear(); if (year < 2000) year = year + 1900; .write(" "+tday+" "+date+" "+lmonth+" "+year+" ");
< = src="https://www.india-forums.com/js/dropmenu.js">

News         &n bsp;         &n bsp;    
 MAM         &nb sp;         &nb sp;    
 Special Reports         >  
 Interviews        &n bsp;         &g t;  
 Tube Talk  
 News Elsewhere        >  
 Headlines  
 Cas News  
 Ficci Frames              >  
 Archives  
 DTH Index  
 Mipcom Musings        >  
 Comment  
 Year 2004  
 Year 2003  
 Director  
 Producers  
 Writers  
 Actors  
 Info Resources  
 Industry Resources  
 Satellite Reconer    >  
 Survey  
 TV Rating Monitor   >  
 Top 10  
 Top 100  
 Jobs  
 Creative  
 Market  

Pr Firms  
 Producers  
 Progra 
 Studios  
 Te 
 TV M 
 The Ind
 Awards     

Interview with actor Ronit Roy

"I have been offered three films which required me to play another Bajaj"
Posted on 10 June 2003

Ronit Roy is riding the crest of the wave right now.

An assortment of jobs later, this Ahmedabadi boy had just settled into Bollywood when his debut film completed a silver-jubilee run in almost every city except Mumbai.

Disappointment loomed large but he overcame the odds to start his own security agency for providing safety options to some of the top stars. Great idea! And after all, he had to keep the kitchen fires burning!

Today though, he is the talk of the town for quite something else - as Rishabh Bajaj in Kasauti Zindagii Kay and Mihir Virani in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi!! The way people have responded to his portrayal of Bajaj and Mihir is unprecedented. People see him on the streets and stop in amazement. Married women kiss his hand and their husbands don't seem to feel jealous. He goes for a friend's party and is accosted by all kinds of people. Apparently, they think he has done a terrific job in both serials. (And he has. Even though he is morally in the red, his gamut of emotions especially in Kyunki... make you sympathise with his character.)

Shooting at Indiclay in Goregaon, he takes time off in his make-up room to talk to
Vickey Lalwani.

Let's begin with a cliched question. Did you always want to be an actor?
(smiles) Yes. My childhood was spent in Ahmedabad. Friends in school used to tease me, 'Go to Mumbai if you want to be a hero. What are you hanging here for?' I came down to Mumbai when I was just a teenager. I worked with Subhash Ghai for a year. I knew him, and in fact, was living in his house. Initially, he dissuaded me from joining the film world, saying that this field is very, very 'speculative'.

By 'speculative', he meant that there is no guarantee. You may be riding the crest one moment, you fall into a trough the next. I agree with him. Bharat Bhushan, who was the best actor of yesteryears according to me, died without anybody near his bedside. I know of a famous former actor who has been seen begging on the streets, these days. Raj Kiran was reduced to driving a taxi.

Anyway, I worked as a management trainee at the Sea Rock Hotel in Mumbai. A year later, my dad expired. Something snapped and I quit my job. I went back to Ghai and joined him as an assistant director. During that stint, I realised that I'd need at least 10 years before I become a force to reckon with in direction. I could not wait. I joined Sanjeev Sharma and Mansoor Khan's company 'Pilot Communications' to learn cinema, which was a faster process than learning direction.

Later, I branched out to become a freelance editor. I edited lots of stuff for Ghai and went on to set up his video division too. I was involved with the setting up of Drishti India Limited. I directed 25 episodes of the revamped Chitrahaar on Doordarshan and even some commercials. I even modelled in some ads.

How did your debut film 'Jaan Tere Naam' happen?
While I was an editor, I was just pressing buttons. Due to a lack of mobility, I had put on lots of weight. The makers auditioned me, but I got bounced. They went on to cast someone else. When they took that guy's re-audition, they found that he had a problem with dialogue delivery. I was recalled and asked to reduce my weight.

That flick did fairly well. What happened after that?
After my debut film was a hit, I did 12-13 other films, but due to various reasons they did not work. Some films were wrong, some people were wrong. There was nobody to advise me. I could not control the situation.

I decided to start anew. I started my own security agency called 'Ace Security and Protection'. On the acting front, I decided to exercise patience and restraint and waited for the right opportunities to come by.

Looking back at those 12-13 film projects which I did, I analyse that I was doing a very boring job. I rarely had the chance to be myself and experiment coolly, unlike what I do on television these days. Television gives you more creative freedom than films.

Tell us about 'Ace Security and Protection'...
Lagaan was my first big break, so to speak. It was the acid test of my potential. There was a scene that needed 10,000 people running behind Aamir Khan. I had to arrange the 200 trucks bringing in those villagers, who were all understandably very excited to meet Aamir. Now, those people were supposed to stop at a particular point, but they didn't.

I almost panicked but we managed to bring the situation under control. We whisked Aamir away to a safe location on the sets and then had him speak to the 10,000 villagers, all bursting to catch a glimpse of him. Besides, making sure that they all left the location satisfied and did not create any ruckus was also important.

Thereafter, we handled major films like Dil Chahta Hai, Yaadein, Na Tum Jano Na Hum, Saathiya and Armaan.

I have a wonderful equation with Aamir Khan, courtesy Lagaan. He is extremely cooperative. It is interesting to provide security for stars and productions, who understand the imperative value and need for security. Hrithik, too, is extremely cooperative. He is always ready to listen and act according to the needs of the security personnel and the situations that arise. Likewise with any other star I have been chosen to cover and protect.

All my boys are trained in martial arts and other security techniques. Besides, they have been trained to deal with the stars and situations.

And then came the role of Rishabh Bajaj?
After three years of business, Balaji Telefilms called me first for Kammal, then they wanted me to take up Rishabh Bajaj's role in Kasautii.... Then came Mihir Virani in Kyunki.... And the rest, as they say, is history (smiles).

"There were some people who even told me that I won't be able to make Mihir as famous as Bajaj. Today, Mihir has raced ahead of Bajaj"

How does it feel to be a TV artiste?
Grrrrreat. Today, a TV artiste is far more popular than a film one. Believe me, I have barely slept in one week, in the days when both these Balaji serials needed me to shoot, come what may. And I have no complaint about the physical exertion. If you are on a high, as I am after playing the two characters of Bajaj and Mihir, you won't feel the exertion.

If your mental make-up is great, your physical stress can never take the better of you. And before you ask me whether my family life gets disturbed due to odd hours of work, let me say 'Yes, but that's the name of the game. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you get something like this, you "have to" play it. You can't be riding such a popularity wave and dictating your work terms of limited hours of input (smiles).

The character of Mihir had already been played by two actors (Amarr Upadhyay and Inder Kumar) previously. What made you accept the role?
After playing the character of Bajaj, I wanted to do something which would be bigger than Bajaj. Balaji and the directors of the serial had turned Mihir's character into an icon. When I was offered this role, I was given only four hours to decide. There were too many expectations, but I took it up. There were some people who even told me that I won't be able to make Mihir as famous as Bajaj. Today, Mihir has raced ahead of Bajaj. I have always performed better in pressured situations. Tell me, didn't I live up to my tendency even this time? (smiles).

Whom do you lean on while working?
I depend on the director and my co-stars. Even if the script is terrific, a bad director can easily screw it up. Also, you build a certain degree of competition which infuses enthusiasm when the co-stars are competent. Their positive energy rubs off on me. In Kyunki..., this happens when I am with anybody, be it Smriti Mahotra/Apara Mehta/ Aman Varma or anyone else, as I believe that each person in this serial has something special about him/her.

Frankly, I don't consider myself a very good actor (smiles). What I mean is, I have to work very hard to get it right sometimes.

What style of acting do you follow?
I have my own style. I study the character sketch of the person I am playing. Even if we are not given the full script, at least I know what is going to happen in the next few days. I put myself in the character's shoes, and thankfully, now maybe this is God's gift, I begin to experience the feelings he must be undergoing during that period. This helps a lot.

As for where I join from (like when I joined Kyunki... midway), I go into the history of the character. I went into all the finer details of Mihir's early episodes.

How different is a daily from a weekly?
Both are totally different ball games. Firstly, a daily is a more hurried job than a weekly.

Secondly, a daily is more of a writer and actor's medium than a director's medium. Please don't read between the lines. I am not saying that every Tom, Dick and Harry can direct a daily. This is because a daily is a medium of basically compact shots wherein every artiste begins to talk, walk and eat his role. If you do the same thing again and again, you obviously become perfect. So what counts is how the writer turns and twists the plot and introduces new tracks so as to keep the viewers' interest alive.

On the other hand, an artiste does not get into the skin of the character in a weekly as much as he does in a daily. Therein, a director has to get into the act to ensure that he/she sustains an artiste's style and emotions. Nobody wants a goof-up of sorts wherein the artiste appears different and ill-at-ease every successive week. Do you know that I did not use a drop of glycerine in the recent 'mandir' scene wherein I broke down expressing my helplessness to Shakti Anand?

"Hysteria (created by the turn in the story)would not be a satisfying experience for me. I am enjoying the fact that my performance is doing the talking"

Has the Mihir you portray now reached the popularity level enjoyed by Amarr Upadhyay?
I don't want to reach Amarr's stage. That was a hysteria created by the turn in the story. If you remember, even Bajaj's death sometime ago did create some hysteria, which of course did not match the one that happened when Mihir died. It even happened (the death of the hero)in Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand recently. When Mihir died, the hero on Indian television had been killed for the first time. That hysteria would not be a satisfying experience for me. I am enjoying the fact that my performance is doing the talking.

Are there any similarities between Bajaj and Ronit?
There are a few similarities. Bajaj must be very well brought up, just like me. But there are a whole lot of differences too. Unlike me, Bajaj is very ruthless when it comes to business decisions. I have never snatched other people's work or played dirty politics. I have immense faith in destiny. Whatever I deserve, I will get. Nobody can take that away. Generally, Bajaj dons three-piece suits, while I can be seen in a casual jeans and T-shirt.

"To an actor, it should not matter whether he is playing an older person or a younger one"

How closely do you identify with the "new" Mihir, I mean, the Mihir who had a one-night stand with Mandira?
(laughs). I think the earlier Mihir was entirely white. There is no person on earth who does not have shades of grey. So, I am enjoying this track where he committed one mistake in his life. Even Lord Ram faltered when asked his wife Sita to undergo 'agnipariksha' (ordeal by fire)! We are mere human beings!! Don't human beings cheat on their wives?

Besides, I am 37 and I am playing someone who is about 45. So there's not much of a gap. Actually, I have a 12-year old daughter. It's easy to put myself into Mihir's shoes and think of Sumeet Sachdev, Hiten Tejwani, Ritu Chaudhary, or any other youngster, as my own child. In fact, often, even after the shooting is over, you'll see me calling them 'beta' !

But doesn't the fact that both your characters require you to play more than your age, worry you?
Give me one good reason as to why it should cause a worry. I think that your entire perspective about a character changes when you think that you are a star. I want to be an actor, and in fact, I am an actor. To an actor, it should not matter whether he is playing an older person or a younger one. If you are 37, how can the hero too in the story be 37? A story is fiction. It can turn even the other way round if and when it goes into a flashback.

For example, I recently went Australia to shoot for Kyunki... where I had to play Mihir as he was 20 years ago. Here my character became very much younger than what I have been portraying currently. So, any day, any time, you might be playing someone much younger. In fact, this unpredictability is exciting. The key is to adapt to the character along with the changes introduced in it. That is the essence of acting.

How do you handle the fan following?
It is flattering. I feel satisfied to have reached this stage in my life. I take all this appreciation as my reward and it inspires me to do better work. But I am not going to get carried away. I have seen the rough-n-tough side of life, when my films failed to click at the turnstiles.

Now that your television career is really looking up, are you getting any film offers?
Yes, I am getting film offers. In fact, I have accepted a couple of them. But please, I don't want to talk about it now. It's early days. Surely, I am not doing all of those.

Why only films, I have even refused at least six serials! In most cases, the makers were not good. TV programme-production is a funny business. Often the maker is not financially sound, but yet wants to kick off. Consequently, the production values are not maintained and the artistes suffer. For no fault of theirs, they look insipid and jaded when they come on screen.

Having done great characters like Bajaj and Mihir, I have to be careful. I don't want to play a sidekick. The role must be weighty and exciting.

Most importantly, I don't want to be repetitive. Since December 2002, I have been offered three films which required me to play another Bajaj. I refused. I don't want to play the prodigal son again either. There is so much more that I can do.

Ronit thumbnail
A Wedding Affair to Remember
- By Jyothi Venkatesh

Ronit Roy had met Neelam Singh around four years ago and they had fallen in love at first sight though it took both some time to decide to get married and settle down. Ronit's first marriage was annulled about eleven years ago. Ronit has a 12-year-old daughter in the U.S.A with whom he is regularly in touchwith. Neelam Singh shot to fame as an actress with the serial Saans as well as film Silssila Hai Pyar Ka. Ronit confesses that though he and Neelam had planned to get married only by February 2004, they changed their minds and preponed their wedding because Ronit realized that he was awfully committed during February. "I realized that I will not be able to get time for the marriage in February and hence we decided to get married in December itself. And what more auspicious day than Christmas Day can you find?" Ronit asks.
A few weeks before his wedding in an aside Rohit had turned emotional and in a frank heart to heart talk with me, he had told me that the reason he had decided to do only selected few films or serials is because he is worried that his 12-year-old daughter, who is living in USA with her mother would not be able to name even one good piece of work that he has done if she is asked by her friends. "I do not want her to feel embarrassed at all. I will do only films in which I will be able to get into the skin of the character. I have had my own share of films dancing around the trees with sexy heroines. Though I have worked with a lot of beautiful heroines, contrary to my image as a playboy, the truth is that till date I have never recommended even one single heroine to be cast opposite me." Ronit had made his debut with Deepak Balraj Vij's Jaan Tere Naam, which turned out to be a silver jubilee hit and has to his credit around 30 films in a span of around ten years. Though he has worked in several films, till date Ronit is best remembered and known for his well-etched characters like Mihir Virani in Kyonki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi and Rishab Bajaj in Kasauti Zindagi Ki. Ronit admits that all the credit for having encouraged him to start his own security agency during the low phase of his career when his films started floundering at the box office ought to go to his dear friend Vikas Verma of Trig, who made him realize that he had brand equity though he did not click as an actor. "An actor is always an actor. In any case, I was only lying low and had not gone away anywhere. Today I have work. I am more polished now as an actor. I have come back as an actor now. Right now I am busy acting in Kyonki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi as well as Kasauti Zindagi Ki. I will be acting in a couple of more serials and a film or two. Right now I do not want to divulge the details and would prefer the announcements to be made at the right time when the films and the serials go on the floors." The bride Neelam Singh, daughter of Mr and Mrs Chandrashekhar Singh and the actress who was last seen in the serial Saans in which she played the role of Kanwaljeet's secretary, was wearing a golden colored ghagra choli while the bridegroom Mr Bajaj, alias Mihir Virani – yaane ki Ronit Roy, son of Mr & Mrs Brotindranath Basu. Roy was dressed to kill in a golden colored chudidar kurta. The venue was the spacious lawns of The Resort Hotel in far-flung Madh Island. Rohit Roy-- brother of Ronit--and Rohit's wife Manasi Joshi, welcomed each and every guest personally. It was a very informal and yet a grand bash, attended by a majority of TV and film industry along with politicians and nearest and dearest friends and relatives and a very few selected scribes from the media, including yours truly. The wedding of Ronit Roy and Neelam Singh was solemnized according to Arya Samaj rites at Hotel Resort on Christmas Day between 5 and 7.30 p.m. Ronit had invited around 200 close friends, colleagues and family members for his wedding. The rituals were on for five days preceding the wedding day. In fact the busy-bee Ronit had even worked a day before his wedding.
Among the first to arrive to bless the newly weds were Zarina Wahab, who looked smashing and young dressed in a brown salwar kameez and her actor husband Aditya Panscholi, who happily sported a bald pate and wore a black see-through T shirt. Both Aditya and Zarina escorted their pretty daughter Sana for the first time publicly. Sana looks like she is a Xerox copy of Aditya. Niki Aneja dressed in a green salwar kameez looked fetching and very much in love with her husband Sunny Walia. Both of them danced wildly along with the newly weds Ronit and Neelam. Rakesh Paul who had got married recently also arrived at the venue minus his wife Sunaina. The jodi No 1 of the evening was the Apoorva Agnihotri (the Armaan Sir of Jassi)-Shilpa Saklani (Ganga of Kyonki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi) who walked in hand in hand looking very much in love with one another, presuming there will be no peeping toms from the media. Considering that Shilpa had some time back broken off from her relationship with actor Arjun Punj who has in turn latched on to the Sanjeevani girl Gurpreet Kohli, with whom he saunters in at every party in town, Apoorva seems to be the right choice baby! Deepshikha (Kitty Party) came with her sweet little daughter Vidika, dressed in a traditional dark maroon colored saree with blue border. Prem Chopra, Akanksha, Prem Kishen, Subhash Ghai, Sonu Nigam, Armaan Kohli etc represented Bollywood besides Deepak Balraj and his actress wife Kishori Shahane and Anand Balraj. Prem Chopra arrived with his wife Uma and son in law Vikas Bhalla, who is these days going great guns career-wise thanks to Aruna Irani's TV serial Tum Bin Jaaon Kahan. Achint Kaur sported a jet-black micro mini and proved to be the center of distraction at the reception with her non-stop smoking. Her beau actor Mohan Kapur (of Saap Seedi fame) accompanied her. Conspicuous by their absence were Ronit's colleagues from Kyonki Sas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi like Smriti Tulsi Irani, Mandira Bedi, Jaya Bhattacharya, Hiten, Apara Mehta, Aman Verma or for that matter Sudha Shivpuri and colleagues from Kasauti Zindagi Ki like Shweta Tiwari, Urvashi Dholakia and last but not the least Cezanne Khan. Sumeet Sachdev and Karishma Tanna who are seeing each other nowadays, Moni Jha, Shakti Singh, Prachi Shah etc represented the KSBKBT unit while Kasauti Zindagi Ki unit was represented by Ali Asghar, Jayati Bhatia, Deepak Qazir etc. When contacted, Smriti Irani who was on her way to the airport to Ahmedabad to shoot for a Johnson &Johnson ad confessed that she couldn't attend Ronit's wedding because she was held up in connection with some urgent BJP meeting. "Though I play his wife in the serial, in real life, Ronit is like my brother. I wished Ronit the next day after his wedding when we shot for Kyonki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi." Smriti told me.
Though Ekta Kapoor, Shobha Kapoor etc did not turn up, Sooraj Rao who was earlier the director of the serial Kabhi Aaye Na Judaai on Star Plus turned up to wish Ronit, along with his actress-wife Pallavi (of Shakalaka Boom fame). Kunika, who is now the Consultant to the newly opened pub Sutra in Hotel Grand Inter Continental came alone and spent the rest of the evening inviting every star present to her bash the next evening to promote the pub.

Ronit, who shot for KSBKBT even the next day after his marriage, which was conducted according to Arya Samaj rites at the hotel itself early in the evening before the reception started, left for Goa with his wife for their honeymoon after taking leave for five days from Balaji Telefilms.

Ronit thumbnail

Guarding the body beautiful

Give an actor a flavour of the limelight, and indubitably, he'll be yearning for more! ...with Hrithik Roshan and Esha Deol...with Hrithik Roshan and Esha DeolRonit Roy Ronit Roy definitely belongs to that breed. "The kind of recognition and headiness you experience when people recognise is irreplaceable. That is why I was happy even despite the fact that I worked only four days out of the first year after my first film released!", he admits. But then, Roy moved to the small screen and worked towards being a reputed security expert. His security agency, Ace Security and Protection, has bagged four prestigious films: Aamir Khan's Lagaan, Arjun Sablok's Na Tum Jaano Na Hum, Subhash Ghai's Yaadein, and Farhan Akhtar's Dil Chahta Hai. Nidhi Taparia met the man to learn what exactly security on the film sets means: How did an actor land up as a security expert? I was trained by Vikas Verma, a friend of mine who owns Property Guards. Two years with him and I decided to branch out on my own. Lagaan was the first film I took on with Vikas. It was my first big break, so to speak. It also put my abilities to test to the maximum. I remember there was a scene that needed 10,000 people running behind Aamir Khan. I had to organise the 200 trucks bringing in those villagers, who were all understandably excited to meet Aamir. Now, those people were supposed to stop at a particular point, but they didn't. I almost panicked there but we managed to bring the situation under control. We whisked Aamir away to a safe location on the sets and then had him speak to the 10,000 villagers, all waiting to catch a glimpse of their favourite star. Besides, making sure that they all left the location satisfied and did not create any ruckus was so important. It was a Herculean task and probably one of the most learning experiences for me. What kind of an equation do you share with the stars? I share a wonderful equation with Aamir. I got to know him really well during the shooting of Lagaan, and he is somebody who is extremely cooperative. For a first-time producer, I think Lagaan is a great production. Whether it sets the BO on fire or not, I think it is one of the better films made today. Besides I think it takes a lot of guts and conviction for a first-time director to make the kind of film he has. A period film like Lagaan is not easy to attempt and not everyone's cup of tea. He is completely focused and single-minded. And I have never seen Aamir upset or strained, no matter what the situation. As for Lagaan, he has got the best talent that the industry has to offer. It is not easy to shoot a film in the middle of the desert the way he has done in Bhuj. He is very friendly, even with his own security cover. He gives them their due respect. ...with Hrithik Roshan and Esha Deol...with Hrithik Roshan and Esha Deol It is interesting to provide security for stars and productions, which understand the value and the need for security. Hrithik, too, is extremely cooperative. He has received numerous threats earlier. And he is always ready to listen and act according to the needs of the security and the situations that arise. Likewise with Esha or any other star I have been chosen to cover and protect. They all have my complete attention. Though none of my stars have thrown a tantrum, there have been times when some behave out of turn. Once, a star chided one of the security guys who was doing his job of protecting him. At times like that, we withdraw. We are professional, but we don't get involved personally if they themselves do not understand the value of the security cover that we provide for them. How interesting is the job? I have sleepless nights! I am always stationed next to the room of the star. Have gunmen next to their door, constantly take rounds at night to check whether everything is all right… All my boys are trained in martial arts and other security techniques. Besides, they have been trained to deal with the stars. Each situation is different. Whether it is a mob waiting late into the night to catch a glimpse of Hrithik or just standing for hours in the hotel lobby or dealing with villagers on the set and having 15 boys to keep 10,000 people in control, the challenge each presents is different. Besides, you've got your back to the star, it is the people who are the threat, so you have to continuously keep an eye on them. You are also providing the security arrangement for Subhash Ghai's Yaadein... I belong to the Subhash Ghai camp. I have stayed at his house, he is family to me. He is a veteran and his films are a class apart. Yaadein is simply amazing, a typical Subhash Ghai film with all his touches and flourishes. It has a different atmosphere. That's all that I can say. Farhan Akhtar is supposed to also have started a trend of major discipline on his sets. What do you have to say to that? Each set is different. The way a director thinks is different. As a director, Farhan is a very professional and a chilled out guy. He knows exactly what he is doing and where he wants his film to go. Since the film is being produced with sync sound, we have to be extremely careful about the kind of security that we provide and not lose a minute on the sets. That is the reason why people have been commenting on the security and professionalism on the sets.
Ronit thumbnail
Addicted to the studio grind
< method=post name=secImage>  </>
Ronit Roy

It's been almost two years since he's been living with Mihir and Rishab Bajaj and he says: "It's three of us now!" Ronit Roy the big guy on small screen has no time for play. After a few forgettable Bollywood flicks, he has arrived on the Telly with much sought after roles and naturally he has a packed day.

I start my day around 6 am and head to the gym for mandatory workout. Then I indulge in a high protein breakfast. I'm not fussy about what I eat but follow a high protein diet nevertheless.

I'll head for my first shoot after breakfast and will be at Balaji Studios till they let me off. It sounds boring as my schedule is more or less the same throughout the week, but this is what I always wanted to do. So, it's of interest to me. Later I'll move to the other studio in the afternoon for my next shoot.

Lunch is around 1 pm. It's very important to eat your meals at the right time. Good health is imperative for an actor and even otherwise. Food patterns make a lot of difference.

In the make-up room I attend to my calls and deal with my business. That's the only time I get to do so. Everything is done over the phone and I have to co-ordinate with people spread all over India. That's also the time I interact with the media.

I'm home usually by 11 pm and by that time I barely have the energy to talk to my wife or eat dinner. After dinner and a shower I simply crash. I don't go out at night or socialise at all these days as it affects my next day's schedule and that is something I really don't want to happen. Night is the time I have to recharge my batteries for the next day, which includes being Mihir, then Rishab Bajaj and back to Ronit! 

Ronit thumbnail
Ronit Roy (Mihir of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Thi) shares his birthday with the Big B on October 11.

Roy had a quiet birthday on Monday as he was shooting for Kyunki... and Kasauti Zindagi Kay. "I just had a dinner outing with the family," he says.

Ronit thumbnail
From the dancing success of Jaan Tere Naam to the mature husband Mihir Virani of Kyunki Saans Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi..., Ronit Roy has come a long way. Cries of Mihir rent the air as groups of excited fans ran after Ronit, to catch a glimpse of television's popular rising star, on his visit to Kolkata on Thursday.

Ronit has had his fair share of success in Bollywood. He began with the hit film, Jaan Tere Naam, which catapulted him to instant stardom in 1992. Ronit went on to work in 12 more films as a hero, but somehow none found too many takers. "I feel that the luck factor in Bollywood is very strong. When I signed those films, the scripts held the promise of a successful venture.

But none of them were made according to my expectations. There is a long move from the writing to the editing table, where a lot of people are involved. I was young then, and tasted success without knowing how to deal with it," explained Ronit. That experience has made him wary and selective in his choice of work. "I don't want to indulge in speculative work any longer.

I want to be associated with people who know the value of quality work. That is why I signed up with Balaji Telefilms," he added. Playing Mihir's character was a big challenge for the actor. "Amar (Upadhyay) was already an icon as Mihir; to portray that same character was a tough ask. But I think I have been successful in playing the character. I have enjoyed every moment till now," he said.

Television has quenched his yearning of recognition as an actor, but Ronit feels he still has a lot to deliver. "I am working on a film by Anup Jalota but it is a bit premature to talk about it now. I am also working on a serial Krishna Arjun. It's a comedy, where I play a very different role from what I've done till now," he said
Ronit thumbnail
TELEVISION

INTERVIEW | RONIT ROY

Debonair Mr. Bajaj

He started his career as a dishwasher in a hotel. His debut film Jaan Tere Naam in 1992 was a huge hit. After which he started his own security agency called 'Ace Security and Protection' providing security options to some of the top stars. Today, Ronit Roy plays the inimitable

millionaire - Rishabh Bajaj in Balaji Telefilms' Kasauti Zindagi Kay aired on STAR Plus. Shooting at Future Studios in Goregaon,he talks about his life and his role as Rishabh Bajaj

Your debut film Jaan Tere Naam was a success at the box office. But what happened after that? Why did you take such a long gap before acting again?
I believe that success is a journey, especially for an actor, as he has to keep performing. After my debut film was a hit, I did 13 other feature films but due to various reasons they did not work. I have a habit. Every six months, I think back and contemplate about my life and whether the steps I took were in the right direction. The turning point in my life came when I was shooting for one of my films and one young girl came to my co-star for an autograph. My co-star casually asked her what does her father do? This made me think. How will it be when my daughter says that her father is an actor? I decided that whatever work I do, it must be good and most importantly recognised. That's when I decided to start afresh. I started my own business and then just waited for the right opportunities. MIDBANNER And the right opportunity came with the role of Rishabh Bajaj?
Yes. After three years of business, Balaji Telefilms called me for the role of Rishabh Bajaj. I took it up as a challenge because I strongly believe that you cannot prove yourself till you are given a chance. It is like a race, where you have to run in order to win. Was the decision to come onto the small screen a very difficult one?
Everyone says that it does not matter to him or her whether it is the big screen or the small screen. But I mean it. In the end it is your performance that matters, which always keeps changing from screen to screen. A character portrayal on the small screen as opposed to the big screen will be very different. At the end of the day, it is all about the performance. People say that currently I am biggest star on Indian television. I would like to think that I am at least one of the biggest stars on Indian television today. When people come to me with film offers I tell them give me something bigger than Bajaj and I will do it. One similarity between both your characters of Mihir Virani in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi and Rishabh Bajaj in Kasauti... is that both of them are older characters. You are not playing your age.
That's true. But again I think that your entire perspective about a character changes when you think that you are a star. It really should not matter whether you are playing an older character or if you are not portraying your age. For example, I am going to Australia to shoot for Kyunki... where I have to play Mihir Virani as he was 20 years back. So here again my character will become very much younger than what I have been playing currently in the serial. The key is to adapt to the character along with the changes introduced in it. The character of Mihir Virani had already been played by two actors previously. What made you accept the role?
After playing the character of Rishabh Bajaj I wanted to do something which would be bigger than Bajaj. Balaji and the directors of the serial had turned Mihir Virani's character into an icon. When I was offered the role of Mihir Virani, there were different schools of thought. I was given four hours to decide. I decided to take it up as a challenge. There was a lot of pressure since there were too many expectations. But I have always performed better under pressure. So when I came on air as Mihir Virani, I received a tremendous response. People began saying that I was the best 'Mihir' among all the three 'Mihirs'.
< = src="http://ads.expressindia.com/banner/screenfullstory.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=661542596&what=zone:225&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
The character of Rishabh Bajaj has been really popular. What was the brief given to you for this character? What is your personal contribution to this character?
The basic brief given to me about Rishabh Bajaj was that he was a man in his mid-40's who has achieved a lot in life, is a thorough professional and has salt-pepper hair. The character of Bajaj has grown from day one. With every episode, new sides and aspects of his character are being revealed. Apart from being a shrewd businessman, he also has a softer side which include the love for his children and affection for Prerna. I have been getting into the skin of the different variations in the character. Are there any similarities between Ronit Roy and Rishabh Bajaj?
There are a few similarities. Bajaj must be very well brought up, just like me. But there are a whole lot of differences too. Bajaj is very ruthless when it comes to business but I have never done anything ruthless even in business. I have never snatched other people's work or played dirty politics. I have immense faith in destiny. Whatever I deserve I will get. Also Bajaj is very rigid in his relationships, while I am completely the opposite. He also dresses very well always in three-piece suits, while I can be seen in a casual jeans and T-shirt with floaters. And, of course, he is millionaire which I am not. (Laughs). The response to Bajaj's character has been overwhelming. How do you handle this entire fan following?
Well, it is really very flattering. Some women come and touch my feet. They kiss my hand. I get letters not only from women, but also from men, adults, and also children complementing my performance. I feel proud to have reached this stage in my life. I take all this appreciation as my award and recognition and it encourages me to do better work. I have come a long way and I think that all the rethinking and improvisation has finally paid off. Now that your television career is really looking up, are you getting any film offers?
Yes, I am getting film offers. I have got around seven film offers, but I am not doing any one of them. This is because when producers come to me, they come with the Jaan Tere Naam Ronit Roy in mind. I tell them to come with a character bigger and better than Bajaj and I will definitely do their film. Right now, I am very happy with Balaji and my serials. I have no greed for money, name or fame. What are the kind of roles that you are looking at?
There are no specific roles, but they must be very different. The role must appeal to me. Work has always come to me, so I am sure good roles will definitely come my way. Which is the one character that you would like to portray in the future?
It is not a particular character but it is a story I have in mind. It is a story set during the British Raj - when they had these drummers called Dhakis. I would like to play that Dhaki. I might also make a film based on this story some time in the future. What are plans for the future?
I am already working in another Balaji serial called Kammal and another serial on DD1 called Phool Aur Patthar. I also plan to build a tranquil, divine and spiritual retreat in Goa redefining the meaning of a holiday in Goa. Besides managing my own security agency, I also plan to get into some hotel projects, since I started my career as a dishwasher in a hotel.