Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lunza thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 18 years ago
OMG , i visited the forum jus today morning , two more pages hav bin added πŸ˜† ...

By the way achal , did u read my second post on page 71 ? what do u think about it ?
lunza thumbnail
ok , this is what rowling has to say about neville's connection to the prophecy :

FAQ Poll #3
Date Started / Ended:
December 10th, 2004 / May 15th, 2005

Runner-up questions:
- How many chapters will Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince have? (Subject to editorial changes, of course) - 7%
- Will Ron ever manage to become more than just good friends with a girl? - 25%

Winning question & answer (with 68% of the vote):
What is the significance of Neville being the other boy to whom the prophecy might have referred?

Finally, I am answering the poll question! I am sorry it has taken so long, but let me start by saying how glad I am that this was the question that received the most votes, because this was the one that I most wanted to answer. Some of you might not like what I am going to say - but I'll address that issue at the end of my response!

To recap: Neville was born on the 30th of July, the day before Harry, so he too was born 'as the seventh month dies'. His parents, who were both famous Aurors, had 'thrice defied' Voldemort, just as Lily and James had. Voldemort was therefore presented with the choice of two baby boys to whom the prophecy might apply. However, he did not entirely realise what the implications of attacking them might be, because he had not heard the entire prophecy. As Dumbledore says:

'He [the eavesdropper] only heard the beginning, the part foretelling the birth of a boy in July to parents who had thrice defied Voldemort. Consequently, he could not warn his master that to attack you would be to risk transferring power to you.'

In effect, the prophecy gave Voldemort the choice of two candidates for his possible nemesis. In choosing which boy to murder, he was also (without realising it) choosing which boy to anoint as the Chosen One - to give him tools no other wizard possessed - the scar and the ability it conferred, a magical window into Voldemort's mind.

So what would have happened if Voldemort had decided that the pure-blood, not the half-blood, was the bigger threat? What would have happened if he had attacked Neville instead? Harry wonders this during the course of 'Half-Blood Prince' and concludes, rightly, that the answer hinges on whether or not one of Neville's parents would have been able, or prepared, to die for their son in the way that Lily died for Harry. If they hadn't, Neville would have been killed outright. Had Frank or Alice thrown themselves in front of Neville, however, the killing curse would have rebounded just as it did in Harry's case, and Neville would have been the one who survived with the lightning scar. What would this have meant? Would a Neville bearing the lightning scar have been as successful at evading Voldemort as Harry has been? Would Neville have had the qualities that have enabled Harry to remain strong and sane throughout all of his many ordeals? Although Dumbledore does not say as much, he does not believe so: he believes Voldemort did indeed choose the boy most likely to be able to topple him, for Harry's survival has not depended wholly or even mainly upon his scar.

So where does this leave Neville, the boy who was so nearly King? Well, it does not give him either hidden powers or a mysterious destiny. He remains a 'normal' wizarding boy, albeit one with a past, in its way, as tragic as Harry's. As you saw in 'Order of the Phoenix,' however, Neville is not without his own latent strengths. It remains to be seen how he will feel if he ever finds out how close he came to being the Chosen One.

Some of you, who have been convinced that the prophecy marked Neville, in some mystical fashion, for a fate intertwined with Harry's, may find this answer rather dull. Yet I was making what I felt was a significant point about Harry and Voldemort, and about prophecies themselves, in showing Neville as the also-ran. If neither boy was 'pre-ordained' before Voldemort's attack to become his possible vanquisher, then the prophecy (like the one the witches make to Macbeth, if anyone has read the play of the same name) becomes the catalyst for a situation that would never have occurred if it had not been made. Harry is propelled into a terrifying position he might never have sought, while Neville remains the tantalising 'might-have-been'. Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences.

Of course, none of this should be taken to mean that Neville does not have a significant part to play in the last two novels, or the fight against Voldemort. As for the prophecy itself, it remains ambiguous, not only to readers, but to my characters. Prophecies (think of Nostradamus!) are usually open to many different interpretations. That is both their strength and their weakness.

lunza thumbnail
and if you want to check it out urself , here is the link - http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrcom/faqpollarchive.shtml
manshi_singh thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
gr8 alia u r back. i am so happy. πŸ˜ƒ

ps: we cant take part in the debate only moderate as we r neutral ( sam's decision)we hve to decide the winner of 'The Best Debator' award 😊
daniel_4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
are we discussing bout the prophecy

ohk... πŸ˜ƒ
daniel_4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: alia

heated discussion goin on...
cool... though am a lil πŸ˜• here...
hehe...
will sleep a lil then come back when brains start workin again πŸ˜›

πŸ˜†

YAY!!!! u are back.. quite early though.. but hey this is good news... πŸ˜ƒ

achal thumbnail

Originally posted by: lunza

OMG , i visited the forum jus today morning , two more pages hav bin added πŸ˜† ...

By the way achal , did u read my second post on page 71 ? what do u think about it ?

Yeah, I did read it, but I'll comment about it later, 'cuz I have to sign off now.. But I have to say, u have gr8 theories and make very valid points...
ishu124 thumbnail
so wat up pplz!!!!!! πŸ˜›

sry i argue lata....dont feel like it.....now!!! πŸ˜‰
albusdumbledore thumbnail

Originally posted by: achal

A mark? We can't simply call the scar a simple mark, can we? Otherwise, it wouldn't be so sensitive.. Do a simple scar you have hurt whenever your enemy is near you? It might be there because od the spell, but we can't say it's just a simple mark.. There are some secrets behind that scar, and all I'm saying it might be one of Voldy's horcrux, otherwise it wouldn't be so sensitive..

that is not entirely necessary..... the AV curse by itself has considerable magical power behind... I would like to take you all to Book 4 (GoF) where the fake Moody (Barty Couch Jr.) tells his class about the AV. He says that even if da whole class went ahead n pointed their wands towards him n said he wouldn't get as much as nosebleed.  My point here is dat maybe as an AV curse rips the soul from da body, maybe wen da curse backfired from Harry n hit Voldy maybe becoz of Voldy's hocruxes it also ripped sum of his powers n transferred to the nearest magical entity i.e. Harry. in da process leaving him (harry) wid a scar. maybe this is why harry is able to feel voldy's feelings.

I dunno about this one either.. Are you sure that love is the charm needed to seal a horcrux.. I've never heard this before.. Maybe it isn't love that is needed to seal a horcrux at all, since making a horcrux is a very evil thing, and it requires killing, and splitting of the soul....

[/quote]

I dunno about love being a charm to seal a hocrux... n wid voldy involved luv being da charm is very unlikely..... whatever the spell/incantation is it is least likely to contain love as an ingedient .... can't imagine voldy remotely thinking about luv in da first place

see we have already seen dat Harry is no match for Voldy. even in da graveyard we see dat Voldy is merely playin around wid Harry till he decides to kill him... Harry merely survives becoz of Priori Incantatem then. So if you say that Harry would have done sumthin to harm voldy that sounds a very indistinct possibility to me (or in dat case even to the most eternal optimist) Y i say this is becoz in da numerous times Harry has met Voldy it is always voldy who has harmed (or tried to) Harry never da other way round (except in da atrium of da MoM, where also he was able to possess Harry long enough to scare Dumbledore)

Very true but in da same argument it can also be said dat Voldy might have transferred a part of his powers to Harry wen his AV backfired the reasons for which I have already given above.

in dat case Voldy must have even lesser control over Nagini becoz dere is no mention of Nagini even having dat (a scar) so 1 scar less control.... no scar even more less control... rite .....

tejas

zara29 thumbnail

I dunno about this one either.. Are you sure that love is the charm needed to seal a horcrux.. I've never heard this before.. Maybe it isn't love that is needed to seal a horcrux at all, since making a horcrux is a very evil thing, and it requires killing, and splitting of the soul....

[/quote]

[quote=albusdumbledore]I dunno about love being a charm to seal a hocrux... n wid voldy involved luv being da charm is very unlikely..... whatever the spell/incantation is it is least likely to contain love as an ingedient .... can't imagine voldy remotely thinking about luv in da first place[/quote]
well ..talking abt love being a  charm...sorry I dont think so..I agree with tejas bro on this point.πŸ˜›....but his deosnt negate the fact[which most of us think] that harry's scar is a horcrux😳

[quote=albusdumbledore]Very true but in da same argument it can also be said dat Voldy might have transferred a part of his powers to Harry wen his AV backfired the reasons for which I have already given above.[/quote]

well bro..saying that voldy transferred sum of his powers to Harry..desont make sense.....[as i think] coz of that scar Voldy's soul possesses harry so harry does hav sum of his qualities/powers😳