Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jhsurti thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: juggyE

Any one remembers Suman Kalyanpur's "Mere mehboob na ja, aaj ki raat na ja" from Noormahal... A spooky lady waslking around all in white with a candle in her hand...

Yes. A very nice song indeed. But imagine Jagdeep as the hero!
kishore_bhakta thumbnail
It's a combination of mechanical and personal creativity to compose music.

Music directors, in the golden ear of music, were more considerate of how their songs would like. This is why most music directors and lyricist would work together. This way the music director can compose a tune in such a way that the words would fit the meter correctly wihtout sounding awkward. It becomes more difficult to have a set of lyrics written for you and compose a tune out of it, as you may have to mess around with the lyricist's work to fit your standards.

Of course, the proper tala and raga is important. If a guy's heart breaks after his love leave him, you aren;t going to play a song in a happy raga like Raga Madhyamad Sarang in a drut lay kaherva tala describing the dard! Similarly, for a love song filled with action, Raga Todi with a slower jhaptal would make it hard to dance. It'd make Jumping Jack Jeetendra appear that he has 2 left feet. The raga is important. Nice to add grace notes, if needed. Remember, grace notes are like condiments. You don't need them, but if you do, use them sparingly to embellish something, not to add strange flavoring.

It's more than just words and tune, back then. You had to consult the film director on what the song demands. Raj Kapoor would personally see how the song should be composed and then would make sure it is 100% correct. Shammi Kapoor would come to the recording studios and watch Rafi-saab sing. Shammi K. would even lip synch as Rafisaab would sing.

chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: kishore_bhakta

It's a combination of mechanical and personal creativity to compose music.

Music directors, in the golden ear of music, were more considerate of how their songs would like. This is why most music directors and lyricist would work together. This way the music director can compose a tune in such a way that the words would fit the meter correctly wihtout sounding awkward. It becomes more difficult to have a set of lyrics written for you and compose a tune out of it, as you may have to mess around with the lyricist's work to fit your standards.

Of course, the proper tala and raga is important. If a guy's heart breaks after his love leave him, you aren;t going to play a song in a happy raga like Raga Madhyamad Sarang in a drut lay kaherva tala describing the dard! Similarly, for a love song filled with action, Raga Todi with a slower jhaptal would make it hard to dance. It'd make Jumping Jack Jeetendra appear that he has 2 left feet. The raga is important. Nice to add grace notes, if needed. Remember, grace notes are like condiments. You don't need them, but if you do, use them sparingly to embellish something, not to add strange flavoring.

It's more than just words and tune, back then. You had to consult the film director on what the song demands. Raj Kapoor would personally see how the song should be composed and then would make sure it is 100% correct. Shammi Kapoor would come to the recording studios and watch Rafi-saab sing. Shammi K. would even lip synch as Rafisaab would sing.

thanks!!! i feel the combination you spoke of is true even in other fields eg. story-writing. but for some reason, i would have thought that it would be easier to start with a tune someone came up with and then try to come up with lyrics, then go back and re-adjust the tune, so on in a cyclical feedback manner. but the tune would start the process. but i suppose it could happen anyway. somewhere i have an impression of folks also first writing the lyrics, then putting the tune around it.  i really do not know. but am always amazed by the creative process and how people can come up with tunes which leave an impact for generations. thanks again!

chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: adwarakanath

SD would always have the tune first, and then get Shailendra to write the lyrics. Madan sahab was the other way around...most of the times, Raja MAK or Rajinder Kishen would write the lyrics and then madan sahab would compose.

But then, it was an all-in-one process. Lyricists at that time were poets who also knew music. The director would give the situation and the lyricist would have something in his mind. Also, most MDs had a tuning with specific lyricist according to their style of composition.

Naushad - Shakeel Badayuni
ROshan - Sahir
SD - Sahir, Shailendra
S-J - Shaildenra and Hasrat Jaipuri
L-P - Majrooh Sultanpuri
K-A - Indeevar, Anand Bakshi etc
RD - Rajinder Kishen, Anand Bakshi, Gulzar
Madan Mohan - Rajinder Kishen, Raja Mehdi Ali Khan
C.Ramachandra - Sahir, Pradeep
and so on.

great info!!! Thanks Abhie.

kishore_bhakta thumbnail

SD would always have the tune first, and then get Shailendra to write the lyrics. Madan sahab was the other way around...most of the times, Raja MAK or Rajinder Kishen would write the lyrics and then madan sahab would compose.

But then, it was an all-in-one process. Lyricists at that time were poets who also knew music. The director would give the situation and the lyricist would have something in his mind. Also, most MDs had a tuning with specific lyricist according to their style of composition.

Naushad - Shakeel Badayuni
ROshan - Sahir
SD - Sahir, Shailendra
S-J - Shaildenra and Hasrat Jaipuri
L-P - Majrooh Sultanpuri
K-A - Indeevar, Anand Bakshi etc
RD - Rajinder Kishen, Anand Bakshi, Gulzar
Madan Mohan - Rajinder Kishen, Raja Mehdi Ali Khan
C.Ramachandra - Sahir, Pradeep
and so on.

Thanks for the info, Abhi! You hit it right on the dot with the pairings of music director and lyricist!

*Jaya* thumbnail

Thanks!

Oh, here are two more GREAT combinations

Anu Malik - Sameer
Himesh Reshamiyya - Sameer

Best of orignally copied words and tunes πŸ˜‰ My dil goes 'Marjawan Mitjawan' after them...yeah, the pakistani original, not the copied Indian πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

Seriously - the other day, they were playing 'Zehreeleen raatein' from some Emran Hasmi movie.. the one that is totally lifted from Jal's 'Juda hoke bhi'.. and guess what, they said that the composer was Pritam and lyricist was 'Dev Kohli' πŸ˜‰! Logo ko sharam bhi nahi aati πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

soulsoup thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

thanks!!! i feel the combination you spoke of is true even in other fields eg. story-writing. but for some reason, i would have thought that it would be easier to start with a tune someone came up with and then try to come up with lyrics, then go back and re-adjust the tune, so on in a cyclical feedback manner. but the tune would start the process. but i suppose it could happen anyway. somewhere i have an impression of folks also first writing the lyrics, then putting the tune around it.  i really do not know. but am always amazed by the creative process and how people can come up with tunes which leave an impact for generations. thanks again!

Rahul - I believe it should be simulteneous. Kishore_Bhakata - please correct me I am wrong. Let's say in an ideal situation - process should be (in filmi playback music) Storyboard -> Base Lyrics -> Composers first cut and suggestions -> revised lyrics -> revised composition....

Sorry if it sounds like a programming logic (what you can expect from a tech & no-music-sense guy ) - but it sounds logical.

What's the actual flow of creation?

I mean not for Sameer/Annu Malik type - for REAL people.

soulsoup thumbnail

Thanks!

Oh, here are two more GREAT combinations

Anu Malik - Sameer
Himesh Reshamiyya - Sameer

Best of orignally copied words and tunes πŸ˜‰ My dil goes 'Marjawan Mitjawan' after them...yeah, the pakistani original, not the copied Indian πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

Bhaktada, how is it that an untrained musician like OP could compose classical melodies like - preetam aan milo, man mora bawra, tu hai mera prem devta, humko tumhare ishq ne, akeli hoon main piya aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa etc?

Sameer actually got a great computer program  - you just fill in the variables (choose from a checkbox list) Options like 1. Soniya 2. Mahiya 3. Ishk 4. Mohabbat…..

Then click randomize – whoalla – the Lyrics ready.

jhsurti thumbnail

Originally posted by: soulsoup

Sameer actually got a great computer program  - you just fill in the variables (choose from a checkbox list) Options like 1. Soniya 2. Mahiya 3. Ishk 4. Mohabbat…..

Then click randomize – whoalla – the Lyrics ready.

πŸ˜†

saniya9919 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for great info.I want to add this,
Aayega Aanewala (Mahal,1949; Khemchand Prakash) - This was the song that defined the beginning of the Mangeshkarian magic and transformed Madhubala into an instant living legend. Ironically, Madhubala didn't lip-sync it on screen at all ! It was played in the background. But what an impact it made ! With one song Lataji wiped away all the careers of existing female singers. Ashok Kumar who played the lead in Mahal still recalls how everyone in the room reacted when the then- unknown Lata was asked to sing. Even today mention of Aaayega aanewala lights up Lataji's eyes. "It's hundred percent my favourite. I had done a number of rehearsals for the song. Actually the composer Khemchand Prakash heard me singing for Anil Biswas. A number of tunes were readied for Aayega aanewala. I was given strict instructions about the importance of the song. The producer Ashok Kumar and the director Kamal Amrohi told me I had to sing as though the heroine was approaching from a distance. Since the studio was very large, I was placed in one corner of the room and told to gradually approach the microphone in the middle of the room while singing. There were no dubbing and editing devices in those days. We had to do it all in one go. I still remember we recorded the entire day".