uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 18 years ago

Lata Mangeshkar

The melody queen's Peddar Road residence

I WILL LEAVE

Lata Mangeshkar threatens to quit Mumbai if a flyover is built on Peddar Road

Subhash K Jha

Melody queen Lata Mangeshkar has made up her mind to leave Mumbai for good. If, that is, the state government goes ahead with its plan to build a flyover on Peddar Road in south Mumbai, where the Mangeshkar family owns an apartment.

On Friday, Public Works Department Minister Anil Deshmukh said the government has decided to push ahead with the project despite opposition from the Peddar Road Residents' Association. He said the Maharashtra State Roads Development Corporation is in the process of sending project details for clearance to the Ministry of Environment and Forests and that the Rs 125 crore project would be completed in one-and-a-half years.

Peddar Road, which connects Haji Ali to Marine Drive, has been home to the Mangeshkars for close to 45 years and Lata said she can't imagine moving to any other place in Mumbai. 'There is no question of getting another residence for me and my family...also, there is no question of staying on in Peddar Road if the flyover happens. So, the best thing would be to leave quietly. I'll go anywhere...I'll move to my Pune residence or to my ancestral home in Kolhapur. But I won't stay in Mumbai. They want us to leave, so we shall,' she said.

Protests by Lata and her sister Asha Bhosle, another music icon, had led the government to do a rethink on the project in 2001. Will she raise her voice again? 'Unfortunately, they don't show any concern for us. Pura Peddar Road hil gaya hai. This road is very small. If  there is a flyover, we are finished. We Mangeshkars stay on the first  floor. We've somehow been putting up with the normal traffic sounds that seep into our house. It would be out of the question for us to stay on after the flyover is built,' Lata said.

She said just like other residents of the area, she has fond memories of Peddar Road. "Forty-five years is a very long time. I have for several years refused to move into a larger home in other localities. We Mangeshkars have always been happy staying in this small, cosy home. It may be small, but this is where we belong, This is where we've watched my brother's children grow up. Aagey ab kya hoga mujhe samajh nahin aa raha hai. Main to chod doongi Mumbai," Lata said.

She, however, added that it is not only about a Lata or a Asha. "Hundreds of residents will be affected if this flyover is built. There are schools, hospital'there's no one to speak up on our behalf. After all it's a Rs 4,000 crore rupee (sic) project. So who will listen to us?" she said

But the songstress has not yet given up the fight completely. "I rang up the chief minister. I am hopeful," she said.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

uknaik99 thumbnail
I remember Seeing her Apartment few years back.. I used to pass it everyday.. at that time I don't know it was Latha Mangeshkar's home.. I still regret not meeting her that time... 😕 😕
vinit_fan thumbnail
hmmmm...... ab mil lo!!! 😃
uknaik99 thumbnail
Kya kare.. I live in USA .. So if ever she comes to USA.. i will make point to meet her.. She is my goddess.. I love her 😊 😊
vinit_fan thumbnail
ohhh.... 😆 😆 😆 i thought u lived in india .... sorry my mistake... 😆
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Isn't this an old news? I remember reading it some years ago...hmmm! 😕
greatmaratha thumbnail
She threatened to go away couple of years back, and succumbing to her threats and demands, the govt. shelved the project.

But now the situation demands a flyover in the area and the govt cannot ignore it anymore.

Hence, the proposal is being revived and with some luck, we will soon have a fly over there, which is of utmost importance if we need to have the sea link in the area.
ritika24 thumbnail
But i dont understand, why is everyone objecting to the flyover? That area is quite crowded these days, a flyover is much needed on Peddar road.....?
roy thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
with due respect to her , she is indeed a grt singer , but often she faces attitute problems , ot only this time but since long lime.

1. she killed all her compitition using all the tricks in her kitty in her young age , even asha bhosle was not spared.

2. she changed the music director 3 times in a movie .

3. for 3 yrs she did'nt worked with some director after having a fight.

4. use to face problems with dates she use to walk out of the movies without informing.

5. there was a concert there , and a charity program she refused to come even though she was in the same city.

6. on rajasthan annual day last yr the maharaja of jaipur requested her to perform but she ignored that and did'nt even bothered to reply back.

there are many instences i read about her in a thread few weeks back was sorry to know that, will let you know exactly who are ppl concerned later.

but still respect her as a grt singer 👏
musicpulse thumbnail

Originally posted by: ritika24

But i dont understand, why is everyone objecting to the flyover? That area is quite crowded these days, a flyover is much needed on Peddar road.....?

It seems they will no longer have privacy. They stay on 1st floor, and the fly-over is supposed be outside their part of the building. There will hardly be any distance between their house and the public flyover.With their popularity, people will crowd on the flyover to take a look. Thats all. Both sides have a valid point!!😕