Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ranig thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Yeah, Madhavir. It was hard when I was young and my teachers would scream at me to focus on the classics during my performances. When I would look at the faces in the audience, I would think I wish I could perform a beatles song or do something "fun", then people would enjoy themselves more.
Now, I love my parents for forcing my sibling and I to learn some form of music and dance. This is what has kept me close to the culture.
I like your idea of incorporating the classics into a modern day style. That's a brilliant idea 👍🏼    
Celina7 thumbnail
I have go 2 sleep now but i'll def. come back 2 this thread 2morrow...bye everyone!!!
giggles_2005 thumbnail
Thanks ranig, sareg, Madhavir ji...that was the idea of this poll...to provoke some thinking...
I do think that something innovative and radical needs to be done to reintroduce our youngsters to our musical roots and traditions....as AD rightly pointed out...this needs to be done at the school level...SPICMACAY is a step in the right direction...was actively involved in my college days but dont know how it is doing nowadays...I remember an Odissi lecdem by Kiran Segal in a boys' school...we as organisers were nervous about handling the boys as we were sure they wouldnt sit thro' it without making noise...but the wonderful lady on stage handled it so well...she got them so involved in a game where she would do some mudras and the audience had to guess what she was doing... and finally at the end of the session she asked for some volunteers to be on the stage and follow her for some basic steps...and the whole school wanted to be there...it was wonderful....
So I think the answer to this poll might as well be No...because some innovative ways of presentation, packaging, marketing...whatever u might call it...can really make a difference...keep writing in...

Oh yes ...i must share with u why I started the thread in the first place....my daughter heard KK yoodling away in a song which I was playing in the car...and she said wow...he is singing exactly like debojit...and I suddenly realised what a powerful medium TV had become!!! Edited by giggles_2005 - 18 years ago
madhavi_r108 thumbnail

Originally posted by: giggles_2005

Thanks ranig, sareg, Madhavir ji...that was the idea of this poll...to provoke some thinking...
I do think that something innovative and radical needs to be done to reintroduce our youngsters to our musical roots and traditions....as AD rightly pointed out...this needs to be done at the school level...SPICMACAY is a step in the right direction...was actively involved in my college days but dont know how it is doing nowadays...I remember an Odissi lecdem by Kiran Segal in a boys' school...we as organisers were nervous about handling the boys as we were sure they wouldnt sit thro' it without making noise...but the wonderful lady on stage handled it so well...she got them so involved in a game where she would do some mudras and the audience had to guess what she was doing... and finally at the end of the session she asked for some volunteers to be on the stage and follow her for some basic steps...and the whole school wanted to be there...it was wonderful....
So I think the answer to this poll might as well be No...because some innovative ways of presentation, packaging, marketing...whatever u might call it...can really make a difference...keep writing in...

Oh yes ...i must share with u why I started the thread in the first place....my daughter heard KK yoodling away in a song which I was playing in the car...and she said wow...he is singing exactly like debojit...and I suddenly realised what a powerful medium TV had become!!!

Oh TV is a VERY powerful medium..especially shows like this..

For the youth of today, its this that is a medium to get in touch with old movies, old songs etc..

When I was a kid (7 - 10 yrs), I was never exposed much to classical music except wat i learnt at dance classes.. my parents rn't much into hindi music.. so never really told me about rafi or lata or kishore... i remember watching antakshari and askin my parents about the songs..n they knew a lot of them because though they weren't into that music, they had heard them when they were young..

thats y i regard antakshari a lot, i learnt how beautiful old music is!

another channel i give credit too is sony, they used to show old movies during lunch time and i used to watch it with my mom.. again got exposed to some fantastic songs..

SRGM was always a source of hearing songs..both old n new.. n hearin it in a diff voice made the difference...

thats the reason, i personally have nothing against remixes... if they are made in good taste with decent videos , they r really good..they help to rediscover old songs.. which is great !!!

i kno old songs n classical music dont necessarily go together..but wanted to share my opinions esp when u taked about visual media...
giggles_2005 thumbnail

Originally posted by: madhavir108

Oh TV is a VERY powerful medium..especially shows like this..

For the youth of today, its this that is a medium to get in touch with old movies, old songs etc..

When I was a kid (7 - 10 yrs), I was never exposed much to classical music except wat i learnt at dance classes.. my parents rn't much into hindi music.. so never really told me about rafi or lata or kishore... i remember watching antakshari and askin my parents about the songs..n they knew a lot of them because though they weren't into that music, they had heard them when they were young..

thats y i regard antakshari a lot, i learnt how beautiful old music is!

another channel i give credit too is sony, they used to show old movies during lunch time and i used to watch it with my mom.. again got exposed to some fantastic songs..

SRGM was always a source of hearing songs..both old n new.. n hearin it in a diff voice made the difference...

thats the reason, i personally have nothing against remixes... if they are made in good taste with decent videos , they r really good..they help to rediscover old songs.. which is great !!!

i kno old songs n classical music dont necessarily go together..but wanted to share my opinions esp when u taked about visual media...

Yes it is a powerful medium..and shows like SGM and Antakshari did re- introduce us to some nice music...but as I mentioned in the initial post...these shows are becoming too commercialized now...do we get to watch an original Kishore Kumar black and white song on TV these days...rarely...so ppl at impressionable ages like my daughter is growing up to believe that Debojit is the original yoodler of Hindi film music!!...

ranig thumbnail
thanks Giggles for opening a topic which forces us to think about the avenues of music.

The story about your daughter is super cute! The television is an extremely powerful medium no doubt. Maybe when your daughter is a little older, she will pull out Kishorda songs and discover where it all started 😊
madhavi_r108 thumbnail
Yes, ranig ji is right! That is really cute!!

I am sure there is going to be a rediscovery of these old songs soon... they are too good to be just lost in the sands of time...
giggles_2005 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ranig

thanks Giggles for opening a topic which forces us to think about the avenues of music.

The story about your daughter is super cute! The television is an extremely powerful medium no doubt. Maybe when your daughter is a little older, she will pull out Kishorda songs and discover where it all started 😊

I hope so too....😉 that is why I insist on playing original music  and not clones...😊

Sima Samuel thumbnail

gigglesji.. a very nice thread something which pushes us to think why we enjoy the music which we do and infact why not the indian classical or even the oldies..

unfortunately there was a time when ppl use to appreciate the radio as a medium of entertainment and during this particular era ... infact also while we were growing up (here in hong kong) we use to hear various types of songs from oldies to semi-classical etc. 

i think it all comes down to the upbringing really where some parents make it a point to educate their kids of the past as well...which is where infact i started off as well...of course TV is very influencial these days but you still do find youngstars who pride themselves with having the knowledge of songs of the yester years past including semi-classical...this is solely because of their parents Edited by Sima Samuel - 18 years ago
giggles_2005 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sima Samuel

gigglesji.. a very nice thread something which pushes us to think why we enjoy the music which we do and infact why not the indian classical or even the oldies..

unfortunately there was a time when ppl use to appreciate the radio as a medium of entertainment and during this particular era ... infact also while we were growing up (here in hong kong) we use to hear various types of songs from oldies to semi-classical etc. 

i think it all comes down to the upbringing really where some parents make it a point to educate their kids of the past as well...which is where infact i started off as well...of course TV is very influencial these days but you still do find youngstars who pride themselves with having the knowledge of songs of the yester years past including semi-classical...this is solely because of their parents

Nice point Sima...reiterates the point made by some of us earlier...we need to do something proactively for introducing the younger generation to Indian music...and we should introduce it in an intelligent way...and the love for that kind of  music will stay with them throughout their lives...earlier I had posted a thread on Binaca geet mala...My father introduced me to it as a kid and that fondness for oldies has stayed with me till date....SGMP was a good show in this direction...but i feel its a bit downhill now..