Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

zoya786uk thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
it iz kinda true dat most of da population speaks chinese and ur right solid snake dat da main reason leaders speak english because developed countries speak it.
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
That English is necessary for Development is a BIG MYTH.

If that were the case then Africa would have been a developed continent.
Too_Much thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
why are you... feeling this. sowmya ji.. coz if they speak english then our country comedian have to think to whom they act... 😉
zoya786uk thumbnail
well dis is sommat da leaders shud really look into it iz kinda confusing coz in da uk english is da main language and u learn it frm about 3 yrs old and den a second language is frm ur choice and u learn that in secondary scool although now its encouraged to be learnt in juniours
mist thumbnail

Originally posted by: SolidSnake

That English is necessary for Development is a BIG MYTH.

If that were the case then Africa would have been a developed continent.

your example does not substantiate the argument. Look at the Chinese for example. Extremely hardworking people but struggling because they dont have a grasp of the English language. Most of the asia pacific giants like singapore, taiwan realize that one of the impediments to their economic growth is their inablility to be articulate in English.

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mist

your example does not substantiate the argument. Look at the Chinese for example. Extremely hardworking people but struggling because they dont have a grasp of the English language. Most of the asia pacific giants like singapore, taiwan realize that one of the impediments to their economic growth is their inablility to be articulate in English.

You are joking, right? 😕

Yes, look at China and compare them with us, where is China (without English) and where are we (With English)....

sowmyaa thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Welcome to the forum oaos!
Dazlingflower thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
If you guys were aware of Indian history...the real one...not the myth mixed Aryan history...our ancestors had built a developed nation 1000 years ago..without knowing English. Sanskrit to this day is a flawless language and it came from India.
If you guys talk about globlization of economy then yes we need English because world economy is interdependent now. We need to acquire as many skills as possible. We don't have an option now...the fact is that we are a Third world county and we need to work with developed nations. Learning English has become our neccasity. It's the years of invasions, British rule and now greedy selfish motives of politicians have left India crippled.
Look at France and Germany.....they are not bothered by learning English. They take their culture and language with pride. If you go to France and you don't speak their language , they look at you weird. Many of my American friend who go to France come back feeling insulted. They are like, people don't speak English over there and they expect us to speak French.
So how is France surviving as a nation without knowing English?
1 They are a developed nation

2 They don't require English to graduate from any institution

3 They money is worth more than dollor

But like I said before, we are a dependent country. At this time, we don't have means to support ourselves. Our young generation need to know English in order to come to America and make something of themselves. So many of us will support English despite knowing that there are countries who are surviving without English
Dazlingflower thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Politicians should also be expected to have a bright academic career.

BTW, I have heard that no one in Nehru-Gandhi dynasty after Pandit Nehru was a real bright academic. Rajiv probably finished college because you need to ba a college graduate to be a pilot -I think. However Neither Indira, Nor Sanjay, nor Sonia nor Rahul were the academic type. It is well publicised that Rahul was kicked out of Harvard, Sonia has not finished college either. I have heard that neither did Sanjay and Indira was such a poor student that she would have been kicked out of college if she was not Nehru's daughter. Does anyone else have more info. on this?

I have read about that too. Here is on eof the links I have found

http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/oct/27inter1.htm

It talks about Indira Gandhi and her political career. It also talks about how she had inferiority complex because of her uneducated background

Quote by Kushwant.S

"Also, she felt uncomfortable with educated, sophisticated people. So you have the rise of people like Yashpal Kapoor, R K Dhawan, who was a stenographer who worked in her office, Mohammad Yunus, who just hung around her.

I believe this was because she had no real education.

She went to Shanti Niketan, then she went to Badminton School abroad, then to Oxford. Nowhere did she pass an exam or acquire a degree.

I think that bred a sort of inferiority complex of not being recognised as an educated person. She would pretend to have read a lot of books. She spoke French, which she picked up when she accompanied her ailing mother Kamala to Switzerland, which went in her favour. There were pros and cons but there was this sense of insecurity when it came to highly intelligent people and people with clear records. She felt more comfortable with second-rate people"

Dazlingflower thumbnail

The difference between France, Germany and Italy as opposed to India is that over last five hundred years, when scientific revolution took place, and there was an exponential rise in wealth of knowledge, the Europian countries were free and keeping up with scientific progress in their own language - in fact the science and literature during last half of last mellaneum was equally devided among the leading Europian countries, Gallelio was an Italian, Pasture was  French, Newton was a Brit, Kepler was Germen. Same with literature and Philosophy, Marx was a German, Kirkegarde was German too, Russell was a Brit; Hugo was French.

During the same five hundred hears Indians were busy being enslaved first by Mughals and then by Britishers.
The growth of total fund of knowledge in Arts, Science, Philosophy and Economics has been fast and even the rate of growth of that fund is getting faster and faster everyday..so that we will never catch up translating all that in Hindi. That boat was missed 500 years ago.We don't have a snowball's chance in Saudi Arabia. 

Our best bet is to catch up with all this in English...and Indians have done a remarkable progress in last 60 yers.

Look, the angrez did a lot of bad things to India over two centuries. They took a lot away from our encestors. Even on their way out they broke the country in two -just for the sadistic pleassure of it. The only upside of all this was that we became a nation full of bilingual people and now have the ability to catch up with the world. We have earned our knowledge of English...let us use it to the best of our interest without having a sense of inferiority complex. When I speak in english, I am not prepatuating a sense of slavary, I am using the only thing I an all like me have recieved in exchange for the blood, sweat and tears of my encestors.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly that's why we don't have any option at this time. Like I said in my two postings above, We are living in an interdependent society and we need to catch up..you are right....THUS we need to know English. Unlike France and Germany, we are not not developed. We don't have any other choice.