Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
There is no official page for the SAGAR PICTURES on facebook,
Sagar Arts hv got their offcial facebook page but Sagar pictures dont hv any offcial page

this is the link of Mr.Amrit Sagars profile on facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=562874623&ref=ts&sk=info
and i sent him a message to which he replied for the first time (earlier he never replied to any of my messages )

and Gautam Sharma has not replied yet to my query abt Draupadis casting and abt the names of the actors who play nakul-sahdev and kunti
Vr15h thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: varaali

After the last couple of episodes I feel like writing what primary school teachers sometimes write in their students homework - " Inaccurate and filled with errors- Please rewrite and submit".

As if bringing  in Sudama was not a blotch in itself, they have  goofed up in a couple of other places too. Paundrak's  cheif wife was Padmavati and his son, Sakradeva. This is mentioned in HariVamsa (no mentionof his wife/ves in SB)

In Hari Vamsa (chapter 44)  this story is narrated in more detail than in SB. It states that after the defeat of Jarasandha at Gomantaka, Damaghosh switches sides and joins hands with Krishna, introducing himself as his father's sister's husband. Damaghosh suggest that they proceed to Karavirapura, which was ruled by Shrigala Vasudeva.Shrigala Vasudeva, instead of entertaining them as guests, entertained them in battle. A detailed description of the Battle follows, wherein Shrigala is killed and the usual  lamentations by the widows follows. The chief queen padmavati, places her son Shakradeva  at Krishna's feet and seeks his protection. Krishna assures that he will crown Shakradeva  as the king of Karavirapura. There is no mention of the king of Kashi getting involved in the battle. 

The SB version is different .No where in SB is Paundrak's wife's  name given. It just states that Paundrak once arrogantly demanded that Krishna stop using the "Vaasudeva" suffix as he (Paundrak) was the only true Lord Vasudeva". He also demanded that Krishna give up his weapons too. Krishna having sent offthe messenger, himself marches to Paundrak's kingdom (near Kashi) where he battles both Paundrak and Kashi-raj  together. Paundrak is slain ans Kashi-raj's head severed and dispatched to Kashi where it falls in front of the palace. Kashi raj's son Sudhikshana in order to avnge his father's death perforns a sacrifice out of which emerges a fiery moster which Sudikshana orders to go and burn down Dwraka. Krishna 's Sudarshan Chaka is enough to counter the fiery monster which unable to face the chakra turns and flees back to Kashi, burning down Sudikshana in the process.

I know that the current Paundrak track has no resemblance to the actual story as described above.  That said, there are a lot of points worth noting, and asking about it.

For starters, as usual, this serial vilifies Paundrak and makes him look like more of a monster than he actually was.  For instance, today's episode of him tormenting people who worshipped those other than him was identical to the story of Lavanasura, as depicted in both the Sagar Ramayans.  But in the original, he did nothing even close.  All he did was start a cult of his own within his own kingdom, and the initiative on this came from his own people, or at least people around him.  They were the ones who started his cult, and when he started challenging the legitimacy of Krishna's divinity, Krishna decided to go and destroy him, and his cult w/ it.

The question that then arises - does SP, or anyone else, think that if Paundrak actually did not  do the things depicted in this serial, and just headed his own cult, as actually happened, then Krishna would have been unjustified in killing him?  There are 2 rationales for killing someone like him.  One would be if a ruler - like Lavanasura - cracked down on the freedom of worship of citizens, and the other would be if a ruler like Paundrak started his own cult and started misleading others into believing that he's divine when he isn't.  Under today's standards, the latter would not be killed, but for those times, given the capacity of one to lead a lot of people astray, coupled w/ the belief that it would delay or deny their salvation, would something like it be totally unjustified?

The other thing about Paundrak's boast of ruling all 3 worlds: he was a vassal of Jarasandha, just like Rukmi, Sishupala, Shalva, Dantavatra and so on.  So he wasn't even someone who ruled this world, let alone all 3.  Balarama defeated all of Jarasandha's allies - Paundrak included - during the abduction of Rukmini.  Even aside from that, he was not noted as a warrior @ all - anyone - Bheeshma, Pandu, Shalya, Drupada, et al could have trounced him easily.  In his battle w/ Krishna, the latter went there alone w/ Garuda and destroyed his army b4 facing him and delivering to him his discus, beheading him in the process.  Krishna didn't even think it worth taking his army, or even Balarama or Satyaka w/ him.

Also, what's w/ making his wife a great devotee, when there's nothing to indicate that to be the case?  Most women of that time were very supportive of their husbands, and even Gandhari, despite her reservations, supported what Dhritarashtra & Duryodhan did.  There is nothing to suggest that the wives of Jarasandha, Rukmi, Sishupala, Dantavatra and so on opposed them on their enmity to Krishna.  So using somebody's fictitious devotion to justify not killing Paundrak, when neither was true, just begs explanation: Krishna did kill Paundrak, and Paundrak's wife was not his devotee.  In the case of Kashiraj, it's even documented that his wives were cheering for him to send home Krishna's head, and instead, he severed Kashiraj's head and sent it to Varanasi instead.

So what I'm wondering is - do the Sagars believe that if they show an authentic story of Krishna, people will have a less favorable opinion of him, like in cases like Paundrak, Rukmi, Satrajit, et al?
Edited by .Vrish. - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Vrish,

You have raised some very pertinent points. While some leverage can be given for creative licensing, there is no doubt that SP has gone too far.

I think, people ( at least, me) will have had  a more  favourable opinion of the PH had they stuck to the original story line ( Srimad Bhagavatham / Hari Vamsa / Vishnu Puran) than give their own twist to each incident  

In an attempt to justify Krishna's character, they have inserted fictitious characters, warped incidents beyond recognition and tried to force their own interpretations' down viewers throats. Sadly none of this was required. Neither the chief protagonist, nor the author needs justification. That, both Krishna and Bhagavatham have been venerated for millenia, is proof in itself.

Now, the creatives have messed it all up by -

1) Getting basic facts wrong (Paundrak's wife was Padmavati, Vidura/Bhishma  did not get any inspiration from Krishna, Balarama and Krishna were not kings, etc)

2)  Convoluting incidents beyond recognition ( Sudama and Susheela did not have any differences , Krishna did not bend backwards trying to 'convert' people- the only occasion was when he went as a peace envoy to the Hastinapur court, trying to broker peace b/w Kauravas and Pandavas, Jambavanti did not replace Rukmini during the Tulabharam)

3)  Inserting fictitious characters (Thomas, Bolt Jr, the height was Murli Manohar) and in the process forgetting real ones- Uddhava, Satyaki, Mitravinda, Kalindi, etc

They have unnecessarily made a mockery of a guru - shishya relationship which has been the corner stone of classical music for ages. In fact they have made a mockery of classical music itself. They have made a mockery of  Bhagavatham and Veda Vyasa himself.

As I said earlier, creative license can be indulged in when it does not distort the basic storyline itself. For e.g- they can insert scenes of Krishna with his wives, or Krishna imparting gyan to Uddava (which incidentally forms the back bone of the 11th Skanda) or discussing military stratergy with Satyaki. Such indulgences offer the PH to exercise their creativity, at the same time retaining viewer interest without deviating from the overall story line. 

P.S- Thanks to your post Vrish, I was able to vent out my frustation. Sorry for the long rant

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 5
I have another general question - this one about 'Kashiraj':
  • First instance of him appearing in the Mahabharata was during the swayamvara of Amba, Ambika & Ambalika, where he sheepishly hands over the girls to Bheeshma
  • Then, in SB, 'Kashiraj' is the ally of Paundrak, and is slain by Krishna.  His son Sudakshina too is incinerated by the fiery monster he unleashed against Dwarka
  • Then again, in Mahabhrata, Bhima decided to impress a ruler of Kashi w/ his prowess, and win the hand of Valandhara
So my questions here:
  • Was the ruler of Kashi who Bheeshma defeated the same as Paundrak's pal?
  • Princess Valandhara - was she a niece or cousin of Sudakshina?
  • Any other instances of any rulers of Kashi either in MB, SB or HV?