Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

So was Bhima implying that Vishnu (he couldn't have been talking about Krishna) lived in the abode of Varuna?  I thought that Varuna implied sagar, whereas Vishnu lived on ksheersagar, which is in Vaikuntha, not Bhulok.

Yes Bhima was referring to Vishnu.  Kshirsagar, is considered Lakshmi's maayka, (having been obtained from it). Lakshmi's epithets include Kshiraabdi kanya, Sagarakanya, etc.

varaali thumbnail

Where exactly is Bhadravati today?  Incidentally, the name Amaravati couldn't have existed then - it was at that time Kundinpur, which was Bheeshmaka's capital, until Rukmi abandoned it for Bhojakot

The commentator's note says Amravati- Indra's heavenly capital.
varaali thumbnail

One thing - Vrishaketu didn't have any residual resentment towards Kunti & the Pandavas for the deaths of his father & brothers?  Or did he get past that in Jamineya's Stri-parva?  I find it interesting in the above description that he simply volunteered to accompany Bhima, and wasn't sulking in grief or anger.  I'd have thought that he'd at least have been resentful @ Kunti, if not the Pandavas.

No, Vrishketu seems to have accepted the present situation. Whatever may have been his private grief, he had come to terms with the fact that those who sided with Duryodhana perished, his father being no exception. 

Practically also it made sense for him to ally with his uncles, since 
a) they were more than ready to make amends for their part in bereaving him  and 
b) the Pandavas were the supreme power at that time.
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
^^Certainly. Vrishketu having love for/acceptance of Pandavas is perfectly understandable. In fact he having love for them seems to be my first imagination than he having any feeling of resentment. We have so many more examples in our epics too. Angad, Magadhking Sahadev, Dhishtketu. I don't know about Paundrak, Vajranabh or Shrungal's sons in authentic stories if any. Firstly, their fathers did the wrong or sided the wrong and secondly their fathers' enemy gave them the shelter/love/guidance/power/honour. So why would they not respond? What's the fault of their fathers' enemy? Moreover they were also the relatives. Reminded me the movie Spiderman 3 (more contemporary generation example) in which Harry comes to know about the fact that Peter killed his father only accidentally and in self defense. Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Chapter IV

While Vrishaketu, Bhima and Meghavarna lay waiting, the multi colored horse made its appearance.It was decorated very beautifully, protected by thousands of soldiers. It was preceeded by priests, offering it sandal paste and kumkum, dhoopa and deepa. The air was rent with the sounds of mantras and  musical instruments, roars of warriors and trumpeting of elephants. The author says that since the horse was to be blessedwith the darshan of Krishna in future, it was already being worshiped so honourably. 

Meghvarna, ready and eager to plunge into battle, informs Bhima that he will make the first attempt to catch the horse. He makes a skyward leap and with this asuri maya shakti , creates darkness accompanied by thunder and lightening. The darkness was so great that the heavenly chariots of the devas could not move about. One of the Devas approached Indra and reported that an asura with evil intentions was creating chaos with his maya. Indra, ever worried about the security of his throne, sends a messenger to inquire who Meghvarna was. Meghvarna, replied  that he was the grandson of Bhima and Hidimbaa, and stated his purpose, adding that Indra can peacefully relax on his throne. Indra, happy that he did not have to contend with yet another asura, and other devas began gathering on the sidelines, cheering Meghavarna. 

Meghavarna, made a downward swoop towards the place where the horse was tethered, and creating a tempest which threw the soldiers into disarray, fled upwards with the horse.

Once the confusion abated, the soldiers saw Meghvarna and the horse stationed somewhere in the sky and began showering him with arrows.

By this time, news of the surprise attack reached Yauvanasva and he dispatched four thousand 
chariot warriors. Meghavarna throwing rocks on them, killed some of them. 

Seeing all the action, Vrishketu began getting restless as he too wanted to be in the thick of the battle. Offering pranam to Bhima, Vrishketu marched on foot to where the battle was taking palce and began showering arrows on the enemy soldiers. So intense was his attack that the enemy dispersed.

Meanwhile, Yauvanasva personally comes to the batllefield. Bhima wants to fight him personally, but Vrishketu would have none of that. Obtaining a promise from Bhima that he (Bhima) would enter the batlle only when Vrishketu was incapacitated , the son of Karna marched forward, 

Somewhere in the course of battle, Vrishketu falls unconcious. Bhima jumps in the fray fiercely attacking Yauvansva, By this time, The king's son Suvega also arrives to assist his father and he too is attacked by Bhima.

Vrishaketu recovers consciousness  and aims five sharp arrows at Yauvanasva which makes the king faint. Bhima meanwhile overcomes Suvega.

When the king recovers, he accepts defeat and offers to surrender the horse. Bhima, in turn, invites the king along with his family to Hastinapur .
Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Varaali

Please continue.  I've changed pg 1 to pull in all the interesting topics, since we've not seen those in a while.  Let's discuss the real stories there, as opposed to the serial.
varaali thumbnail
King Yauvanashva seems to be a man of instant decisions. He gives the impression of someone who takes decisions without giving them much thought. But he is also capable of giving another opposite decree almost immediately . When he decided to confront the Pandavas, he fought with his full might. Now,having accepted defeat, he undergoes a 180 degree conversion and becomes a whole-hearted  supporter of the yagna.  His ambivalent nature gives a comical touch

Bhima and his party are accorded a right royal welcome in Yauvanasva's capital, with the queen Prabhavati herself offering Aarti to them. 

The next day, the king,in a sudden burst of enthusiasm, issues orders that all inhabitants of his kingdom should proceed to Hastinapur. He instructs all the rich merchants / landlords to be ready to donate in large quantities for the yagna. AMongst them is a man called Sudeva. he goes home and informs his old mother of the king's order and asks her to prepare for the long journey. 

The old woman replies "Don't go there O son, don't unnecessarily spend money. I too will not go to Hastinapur. I regard all sacrifices as hoax and all brahmans as cheats. What are Vedas?- just some notes prescribing or forbidding certain things. Who will throw their hard earned money on such activities?."

SUdeva goes to the king and reluctantly informs him of his mothers' views. The king asks Sudeva to bring his mother to meet him.

When the old lady comes, the king gently advises her "O Honoured lady, all people are going to have darshan of Yudhishthira and Krishna. You too should come. The mere sight of Krishna with Rukmini and other venerable persons is enough t o wash away all sins. One should not have a second thought about coming. 

The old lady replies " O king I will not come. My money will be unnecessarily spent. My daughters -in - law who are cunning by nature will begin to assert their control over my house. The wheat crops are ripe in the fields and have to be harvested. Cows have to be milked and butter churned-If I am not around to supervise, the male and female servants will run away with the wheat and butter. I am the only responsible person to manage the household affairs. WHat have I to do with Krishna or Yudhishthira? Let them manage their affairs and let me manage mine. I would also advise you not to go. By going you will incur unnecessary expenditure, I have no doubt."

The old woman purses her lips and fold her hands defiantly . The king seizes the chance and catching hold of her , shackles her and puts her in a palanquin, paying no attention to her cries.

The king, conveniently forgetting his own nature, muses philosophically on Man's love for hoarding wealth. The huge party sets out for Hastinapur. After five days, they reach the outskirts of Hastinapur. Bhima gallops ahead to personally inform Yudhishthira of their arrival. After prostrating before his elder brother, Bhima announces that they had obtained the horse successfully .

Bhima then goes to meet Draupadi and she is concerned to see scars on his body. She tries to tend to his injuries, but Bhima asks her to get ready to receive Prabhavati and her retinue

Yudhishthia and Draupadi prepare to welcome King Yauvanasva and Queen Prabhavati.

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Couldn't the old lady have told the king that if she went, it would be @ his expense, and any losses that she incurred - her servants stealing her wealth, her bahus seizing power (wow!  the original dwapar yuga saas-bahu scripts 🤣) - would have to be compensated by him.
varaali thumbnail

Couldn't the old lady have told the king that if she went, it would be @ his expense, and any losses that she incurred - her servants stealing her wealth, her bahus seizing power (wow!  the original dwapar yuga saas-bahu scripts 🤣) - would have to be compensated by him.

It was the king's fiat that, not only  the travel costs would have to be borne by his subjects, but they should be ready to donate part of their wealth for the yagna. Hence the old woman's grouse. As for her insecurities concerning her bahus, even I found it funny.  Saases have not changed since Dwapar Yuga  (My grouse 😆) .
varaali thumbnail
Yudhishthira welcomes Yuavanasva and the Bhadravati king, on his part, is thrilled to meet Krishna. Yauvanasva and his son Suvega describe the exploits of Vrishketu which pleases Arjuna who then  hugs his nephew. All of them enter Hastinapur with the precious horse the protection of which is entrusted to Vrishketu.

However, the auspicious day of Chaitra Purnima passes, before they could get everything ready and begin the yagna. Krishna informs them that since the yagna is automatically stalled till the next year, he would like to return to Dwaraka and come back when the yagna is commenced. Yudhishthira gives him permission to leave and after taking Kunti's and Yudhisthira's blessings, Krishna departs for Dwaraka. In the meanwhile Yudhishthira gives orders for the Yagna Shala, mandapa, etc to be constructed as per Vyasa's instructions 

The next two chapters deal with Yudhishthira's questions and Vyasa's answer on various subjects- which I will skip for now..

When eleven months had passes, Yudhishthira asks Bhima to go to Dwaraka and present a formal invitation to the Ugrasen, Vasudeva and all the leading Yadavas. Relishing the prospect of meeting Krishna, Bhima obeys his brother with alacrtiy.

After journeying for several days, Bhima reaches the outskirts of Dwaraka. Jaimini describes how beautiful the city looked. Bhima enters the city through the western gate and arrives at Kruishna's palace just as Krishna was about to start his mid day meal attended by his mother and wives.