sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Asha Parekh

Actress-turned-TV producer Asha Parekh is out of self-imposed hibernation with another serial.

"I don't feel like acting at all now — not in films or on the small screen," she points out. "I am happy being behind the camera. Being a TV producer entails plenty of hard work. And I don't want to take on anything more."

Best remembered for her Star Plus series, Kora Kagaz (starring Renuka Shahane), Parekh's other small screen offerings include Baaje Payal (DD), Dal Mein Kaala (Star Plus) and Kuch Pal Saath Tumhara (Sahara).

Though it is work in progress for a Hindi show set against an army backdrop, Parekh is ready with Akhanda Saubhagyavati, for ETV Gujarati, which premieres tonight.

Gujarati shows

"I have produced Gujarati serials earlier too, like Naari Tu Na Haari (ETV Gujarati) and Jyoti (DD), as well as acted in Gujarati films. And my first Gujarati film was called Akhanda Saubhagyavati — so life has come full circle for me."

Directed by Harshad Joshi, with music by Usha Khanna, the daily is a tale of two close-knit sisters who suffer from a strained relationship after an incident. "They become sworn enemies and the entire family is affected," adds Parekh. The cast includes Dharmesh Vyas, Rajlaxmi and Sneha Desai.

From Kannada show

Akhanda Saubhagyavati is the Gujarati version of the Kannada show, Gupt Gamini that airs on ETC Kannada. "The show has crossed over 550 episodes and is extremely popular, which is why the channel wanted a Gujarati version too," says Parekh, who also plans to direct a Hindi film soon.