Why are women discriminated n unfairly treated ?

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago

Is there any reason why women are discriminated and unfairly treated in many countries.
It seems more aggravated in Asian and African societies.
One reason could be men think they are superior or perhaps most of the religious leaders have always been men.
This is a very sad state of affairs and looks like it may never change.

Afghan rape victim freed from jail, to marry attacker

By Usman Sharifi | AFP News – Fri, Dec 2, 2011

Related Content

• Enlarge Photo

File photo for illustrative purposes showing female Afghan prisoners playing volleyball …

• Enlarge Photo

File photo of Afghan women in a park in Kabul. Afghan President Hamid Karzai has …

The Afghan President Hamid Karzai has ordered the release of a woman who was jailed for adultery after being raped -- but she now faces having to marry her attacker, officials said.

The move came after some 5,000 people signed a petition for the release of the woman, named Gulnaz, who has served two years in prison after a relative raped her at her home. She has been raising the child she had by her attacker in a prison cell in Kabul.

The case again highlights the poor state of women's rights in Afghanistan, 10 years after a US-led invasion ousted the Taliban who were notorious for their harsh laws against women.

Elsewhere in Afghanistan on Thursday, it emerged that a teenage girl and her family were sprayed with acid after apparently rejecting a marriage proposal for her.

Following the outcry over Gulnaz's case, Karzai called a meeting where judicial officials decided to pardon her, said presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi.

But the officials also said that Gulnaz should marry the man who attacked her, due to fears she could be in danger if released because of the stigma surrounding her attack in Afghanistan.

She consented to the union, Faizi said.

"She agreed to the marriage but only if his (the attacker's) sister marries Gulnaz's brother," the spokesman added, explaining that this was a way to try and ensure Gulnaz was not attacked by the man in future.

Faizi insisted that her release from prison was not dependent on her agreeing to marry her attacker.

Violence against women in Afghanistan appears to be increasing rather than decreasing, despite billions of dollars of international aid which has poured into the country during the decade-long war.

The Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission logged 1,026 cases of violence against women in the second quarter of 2011 compared with 2,700 cases for the whole of 2010.

Some 87 percent of Afghan women report having experienced physical, sexual or psychological violence or forced marriage, according to figures quoted in an October report by the charity Oxfam.

Last week, the United Nations said that a landmark law aiming to protect women against violence in Afghanistan had only been used to prosecute just over 100 cases since being enacted two years ago.

In the acid attack, a 17-year-old girl called Mumtaz was seriously injured when caustic liquid was sprayed on her face by masked gunmen who broke into her home in the northern city of Kunduz late on Sunday, her father Sultan Mohammad said.

Her mother and four sisters also suffered burns in the attack after they were splashed with the acid aimed at Mumtaz, he added.

"It was midnight," Mohammad said from his hospital bed.

"They entered my home by force, they started beating me and put me in a big bag. They moved in and started beating my wife and daughters and before leaving, they sprayed acid on my daughter's face."

Mumtaz, who is also still in hospital and hardly able to speak, said: "First they beat me, they beat my mother and sisters and then they threw acid on my face."

Mohammad blamed a former militia commander who had proposed marriage to Mumtaz but was rejected by the family.

"A man asked for her hand. We rejected (him) and our daughter was engaged to someone else. I suspect that man might be behind this," he said.

The attackers fled the scene before the police arrived.

Afghan Interior Minister Bismullah Mohammadi has "personally ordered" police to investigate and "administer justice to those responsible", his office said.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Summer, first, please note that this is totally my theory and not based on any research. I think discrimination against women is result of two biological facts.

1- Men are physically stronger
2- Women is the one that gives birth, feeds the child

Now what probably happened was that men being stronger took the role of going out, working, earning while women stayed at home and took care of the family i.e. caregiver. As time passed and men went out they discovered things, built things and that meant they had full control of the outside world. Women on the other hand were not involved in all this. Over time a system was built by men and naturally it meant keeping their interests in mind. Gradually a power gap developed between the two genders where men controlled most important things and whenever there is power gap there is discrimination i.e. in this case systemic discrimination. A Woman changing her name after marriage is an example of systemic discrimination.

In modern world women became more aware and thought okay we don't have a life here and we are dependent on father, husband and then son. They expanded their role and most men have welcomed it and are in their support. However in this there will always be some who when challenged will feel insecure and try to maintain status quo and therefore discriminate i.e. individual discrimination.

I believe ideal thing is to not remove all differences between the two as in those differences lies beauty of life. We just need to remove those differences which have led to discrimination against women i.e. remove practices like sati, dowry, foeticide, forced marriages, honor killing, treatment of women as s.x object in west.

We will continue to hear such stories till all men come to terms with the reality.
Edited by K-A-L - 12 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: -nirvana-

@Summer... I now look forward to the war of the sexes part II..;)

It is believed that in Islamic views the female sexuality is so powerful
that it constitutes a real danger to society, for which unrestrained
females constitute! It is also believed that the females are the most dangerous challenge facing males trying
to carry out God's commands and in combination, females desires
and their irresistible attractiveness give them a power over men which
rivals God's; thus they are discriminated.

Frankly without women a house is never a home.
I guess both sexes have their positives and negatives but women are generally quick and sensitive; they can easily put a lot of men in their pocket. Women have to fulfill many roles sadly.
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: K-A-L

Summer, first, please note that this is totally my theory and not based on any research. I think discrimination against women is result of two biological facts.

1- Men are physically stronger
2- Women is the one that gives birth, feeds the child
Now what probably happened was that men being stronger took the role of going out, working, earning while women stayed at home and took care of the family i.e. caregiver. As time passed and men went out they discovered things, built things and that meant they had full control of the outside world. Women on the other hand were not involved in all this. Over time a system was built by men and naturally it meant keeping their interests in mind. Gradually a power gap developed between the two genders where men controlled most important things and whenever there is power gap there is discrimination i.e. in this case systemic discrimination. A Woman changing her name after marriage is an example of systemic discrimination.
In modern world women became more aware and thought okay we don't have a life here and we are dependent on father, husband and then son. They expanded their role and most men have welcomed it and are in their support. However in this there will always be some who when challenged will feel insecure and try to maintain status quo and therefore discriminate i.e. individual discrimination.
I believe ideal thing is to not remove all differences between the two as in those differences lies beauty of life. We just need to remove those differences which have led to discrimination against women i.e.
remove practices like sati, dowry, foeticide, forced marriages, honor killing, treatment of women as s.x object in west.
We will continue to hear such stories till all mencome to terms with the reality.

Yes the education of women has liberated them in this modern generation.
It is sad to read how some men physically abuse their wives and kids.
LOVE_DMG thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Why are women discriminated n unfairly treated ?---------------------

-- answear is simple: it because women allow men to do so.

if that women in the artical stands up for her self, then her child is girl will learn to stand up agist worng, and if  boy, he will know right from wrong and future would treat his wife , sister and other women with respect. 
that women who agreed to get married with the attacker is a criminal,not only she distoryed her life (whatever was left over of it) but her child to. i know living in a country like Afghanistan with out father is hard, but neither it the child fault or hers , he/she did not choose to be born to a parents nor the mother, she was raped and THAT in her own house. country like these are pure disgusting. these women and child should be supported, and given education and job, instead they are dumped in the garbage for crimes they didnt even do. and yet women in that country still stay silent and play with the game. 
Edited by LOVE_DMG - 12 years ago
Omnipotent_Taco thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Because:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fd8_gojNXc[/YOUTUBE]

Not trying to take away from the seriousness of it all. Just sayin'.

On a tin foil hat note, however, I believe there's been a conscious repression of the sacred feminine for millennia.
Edited by pinkfreud - 12 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
 "Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, because it's OK to be a boy, but for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because you think that being a girl is degrading"

- From Cement Garden & What It feels like for a girl

Women are discriminated because feminism has happened, but masculinism does not exist yet. That won't happen until society stops viewing so called feminine qualities degrading.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

...Okie,  I think its nothing about any Religion, millions of years women have suffered because man has not been able to give them what they need...Man has simply used them different ways... almost like a commodity to be used, & still using...cos of this another part of world,women trying in every possible way to behave like men...if we find a woman somewhere who struggles and fights, who is competitive, thn something of womanhood is missing in her... Thy are wearing mens clothes, smoking cigarettes like men, and whatsoever they can do, n loosing their motherly attitude or feminine quality...its true that Women are less violent than men..&surrender is easy for her...her mind to lean to somebody, to possess and to be possessed...!!...I think in Afghan or india or pak women need more Education or awareness about her capablity n rights to bcom a perfect women!!!!. & I think some women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy...😛😉

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Barbara Walters, of 20/20, did a story on gender roles in Kabul, Afghanistan, several years before the Afghan conflict. She noted that women customarily walked five paces behind their husbands. She recently returned to Kabul and observed that women still walk behind their husbands. Despite the overthrow of the oppressive Taliban regime, the women now seem happy to maintain the old custom.

Ms Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked, 'Why do you now seem happy with an old custom that you once tried so hard to change?' The woman replied "Land mines."

Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: misterbates

women should always be treated fairly and impartially but I think there should be different levels for both men and women boundaries that women shouldnt cross that should be reserved for men and likewise with men to get a balance.

Boundaries! And what exactly are those "boundaries" and who would decide them? Lemme guess, ummm, well - a Man, of course - as usual.😳