Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago

Originally posted by: _Vrish_

vaarali

That brings me to another question.  You may have heard of a story about how Arjun was narrating to Subhadra how to exit a chakravyuha, but it being pretty boring for a pregnant woman, she fell asleep, and Abhimanyu never got to learn it, w/ fatal consequences.  If that was there, shouldn't it have been there in the above cited section?  I checked out Abhimanyuvadh parva, but even that didn't have such a story.  So I wonder - where did it originate?

Well, I didn't know it was not in the Mahabharata. Maybe it is like the Sudama eating Krishna's share of Poha during their Gurukul days- popular story with no authentic textual basis.

That brings up another question.  During the vanvaas, I understand, the Pandava queens had to go to their maaykas and raise their sons to prepare for the war. 

Draupadi didn't feel the need to go Panchala  to raise her sons. Anyway they (Draupadi's sons) spent the latter part of the 13 year period in Dwaraka. Moreover there is no record of Naramitra or Suhorta having taken part in the War.

But at the end of it all, why did only Draupadi accompany the Pandavas in their journey to heaven?  Parikshit was 36 years old, so presumably old enough to rule.  So all the queens of the Pandavas - Devika, Hidimba, Uloopi, Chitrangada, Subhadra, Karenmati and Vijaya - all should have accompanied their husbands on that final journey, no?  Uttara could have been left in company of Parikshit.  (In the ACK, after Arjun enthroned Vajra, he left Subhadra w/ him to take care, but in the Mahabharata, it's mentioned that she and other queens stayed on w/ Parikshit.  In which case, even if all the Yadava queens had ended their lives, Vajra's mother - be it Rochana or Usha - should have stayed w/ him, no?)  Any idea why the Pandava queens chose/agreed to stay on w/ Parikshit?

Maybe, it is the psychology? One needs a certain bend of mind to endure the hardships of vanvas
And why would Chitrangada choose to stay with Parikshit rather than Babruvahan's children?

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Okay, I have in front of me the book 'Who is who in the Mahabharata' by Subash Mazumdar, so I can fill in some of the things we discussed in the last few pages.

Jalandhara - Younger sister of Duryodhan's wife Bhanumati.  She was devoted to Bhima and used to call him King Vrikodara.  She once acted as an intermediary to arrange a meeting b/w Bhanumati & Krishna.

Meghasandhi - son of Jarasandha's son Sahadeva.  During preparations for king Yudhisthir's ashwamedha yagna, he challenged Arjuna who was following the royal forse.  In a short battle that ensued, Meghasandhi was defeated and he then agreed to atend Yudhisthir's yagna thus acknowledging the latter's superiority

As for the Yadavas during the Ashwamedha yagna, both Ugrasena & Vasudev prevented the Yadavas from capturing the horse

When the beautiful sacrificial horse of the Kuru king reached Dwaravati, the Yadava youths, used force against that foremost of steeds. King Ugrasena, however, soon went out and forbade those youths from doing what they meditated. Then the ruler of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas, issuing out of his palace, with Vasudeva, the maternal uncle of Arjuna, in his company, cheerfully met the Kuru hero and received him with due rites. The two elderly chiefs honoured Arjuna duly. Obtaining their permission, the Kuru prince then proceeded to where the horse he followed, led him.

On the vanvas question, you are right that Draupadi didn't feel the need to raise her children during her husbands' exile.  However, she was the exception, and I wasn't asking why the other wives didn't stay w/ the Pandavas.  In the Mahabharata, Dhrishtadyumna was reported as having taken her sons to Panchala, but in the book I cited, Rukmini was said to have helped Subhadra raise Abhimanyu and  Draupadi's sons.

My question, though was about the end, when the Pandavas retired.  In the case of Krishna, some of his widows self-immolated, while some others retired to the Himalayas to do tapasya.  In the case of the Pandava wives, they could have, like Draupadi, left w/ their husbands, who were on the journey to swargalok: yeah, they too would probably have died along the way, but wouldn't they have wanted to accompany their husbands?  Chitrangada returned to Manipur to live w/ Babruvahana, which certainly made more sense than living w/ Parikshit, while Uloopi went underwater - it's unclear whether she ended her life, or returned to her original watery kingdom in Nagaland. 

Nirmitra or Suhotra or Yaudheya - there is no record of them after the war, which suggests that they died during the war.  Had they lived, the least that would have happened would have been that the Pandavas would have made them ministers or guardians of Parikshit when they retired, instead of leaving him to Yuyutsu.  All evidence suggests that except for Babruvahana, there were no living sons of the Pandavas.
varaali thumbnail
The Ashwamedhika Parva of Jaimineya Mahabharata has some  interesting details. 

Ghatotghach's son Meghavarna has apparently survived the war and there is lot of Grandad- Granson bonding while they go to fetch the sacrificial horse. Bonding, in this sense of course means, battles (with others- not b/w themselves!)

Plus, why wasn't  Vrishketu (or was it Vrishsena?- the son of Karna who survived) considered for succession? Because  he wasn't a part of the Kuru/Pandav lineage? He was certainly treated most affectionately by the Pandavas.
Vr15h thumbnail
Vaarali

Are these in the KMG version, or some other?  I'm very happy to learn that the Pandavas did have sons who survived - I'd be happy to know that Nirmitra, Suhotra and other sons of the Pandavas did survive.  Vrishasena was the eldest of Karna's sons, and was killed by Arjun b4 Arjun-Karna's final battle.  So Vrishaketu must be the name of the son who survived.  It's nice that he was accepted by the Pandavas into the family.  Are there any online links where I can read more about it?

The more I think about it, I think that Yudhisthir decided that the succession would be the result of the matrimonial alliance b/w the Pandavas and the Vrishnis.  So had Abhimanyu survived, he'd have been yuvraj even instead of Bhima, and succeeded the throne.  Since Parikshit was just born, Bhima was made the yuvraj of Yudhisthir (just like Bharat was yuvraj of Rama) and held that post until the Pandavas retired.  Then, just like Kush succeeded Rama, Parikshit succeeded Yudhisthir.  That would explain why Yudhisthir didn't make any of his other sons/nephews his successors, but probably just entrusted them w/ ministerial duties, like he did Yuyutsu.
varaali thumbnail
The text that I am referring to is Jaimineya Mahabharata (Ashvamedhika Parva). 

As you would be knowing, Jaimini was one of the foremost of Veda Vyasa's disciples (Shukha, Vaisampayana Paila and Sumantu being others). The story goes that, after narrating the entire Mahabharata to these five, he asked them to write it in their own words. No one even dared to try to match their illustrious Guru's literary powers.  Except for Jamini. For him, disregarding his Guru's command was a greater sin- hence he started in  all earnest to re write the MB in his own words. So deep was his revernce to his guru that when he presented the finished product to Veda Vyasa, the Master claimed that Jamini's version was even better than the original.

Most of Jamineya Mahabharata (which was bigger and more detailed) has been lost except for the Ashwamedhika Parva. Why his work was lost while the original (Vyasa Mahabharata) survived is not clear. 

Also, like any other major text, this too has not been free form interpolations by later authors calling themselves Jaimini. 

I only have the hard copy of this text (published by Gita Press, Gorakhpur). I am not sure if the entire version is available online. 

Some interesting information is given here

varaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Vaarali

I'm very happy to learn that the Pandavas did have sons who survived - I'd be happy to know that Nirmitra, Suhotra and other sons of the Pandavas did survive.  

Bhima's  grandson  Meghavarna survived. As Ghatotghach's son, he shares a special rapport with his grandfather.

No mention is made of any other sons. No record of their death. It is indeed puzzling. If Nirmitra, Yaudheya and Suhorta had taken part and been killed in the War, there names would have mentioned, even in passing. It is as if they just slipped into oblivion.

Vrishasena was the eldest of Karna's sons, and was killed by Arjun b4 Arjun-Karna's final battle.  So Vrishaketu must be the name of the son who survived.  It's nice that he was accepted by the Pandavas into the family.  Are there any online links where I can read more about it?

Yes indeed, the name given in Jaimineya MB is Vrishketu. He accompanies Bhima and Meghavarna on their expedition to secure the sacrifcial horse. He was treated most tenderly by his uncles, especially Bhima and Arjuna

Edited by varaali - 12 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Karna had two wives- Vrushali- from whom he had seven sons - and Supriya- a friend of Bhanumati.

Vrushali commited sati on Karna's funeral pyre. 

I will find out and let you know the source of this information

Vrish - Is there no mention in the Stree Parva ?
Vr15h thumbnail
I'll check Stri parva.  Much of it is just Gandhari ranting, but I'll see whether any references to Karna's wives are there.

Karna lost 4 sons in the war - Vrishasena was killed by Arjun, who contrasted the situation w/ Abhimanyu and told Karna that just as he killed Abhimanyu when Arjun wasn't there to protect him, Arjun would kill Vrishasena despite Karna's presence, and went on to do just that.  The next day, Nakul was involved in a battle w/ Chitrasena, Susena and Satyasena, and killed them.

So aside from Vrishaketu, who were Karna's other 2 sons?
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
varaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

I'll check Stri parva.  Much of it is just Gandhari ranting, but I'll see whether any references to Karna's wives are there.

Karna lost 4 sons in the war - Vrishasena was killed by Arjun, who contrasted the situation w/ Abhimanyu and told Karna that just as he killed Abhimanyu when Arjun wasn't there to protect him, Arjun would kill Vrishasena despite Karna's presence, and went on to do just that.  The next day, Nakul was involved in a battle w/ Chitrasena, Srutasena and Satyasena, and killed them.

So aside from Vrishaketu, who were Karna's other 2 sons?

Karna, I believe had nine sons.  Wikipedia says that one of Karna's sons did during the the chaos that followed Draupadi's swayamvar- but there is no such mention in the Swayamvara Parva. 

Regarding Vrishketu, the only son to survive the War, my source is, as I mentioned earlier,  the Jaimineya Mahabharata. 

Vrishketu accompanied both Bhima- to acquire the sacrificial horse and Arjuna, where he famously fought - (and was killed by) Babruvahana. Krishna's first response was to  revive  Vrishketu with the magical Naagmani and only then turn his attention to Arjuna.

You are right. In the Stree parva, Gandhari only mentions Karna's wife as Vrishsena's mother. No first names are given. But Vrushali being the wife of Karna  is fairly well known- though now I am at at a loss to know where it is mentioned 
varaali thumbnail
Jaimini has used all his literary abilities while descibing the war b/w father  and son. There is a quick detour into the Lava- Kusha story as well. 

A quick background into the story. Vrishketu has managed to survive the war and is orphaned. Father killed and mother died a sati. Pandavas, especially Arjuna grief stricken on having killed their elder brother and also having lost all their sons, try to make ammends by being extra nice to Vrishketu. 

Ashwamedha yagna is planned and the perfect horse reqd for the yagna is currently in possession of a king (forgetting his name at the moment). Bhima offers to fetch the horse and is accompanied by his grandson Meghavarna and Vrishketu. Vrishketu displays his prowess on the battle field and proves that he is the son of Karna.

Later when the horse is duly worshipped and let loose Vrish ( I mean Karna's son- not you Vrish😆) accompanies Arjuna. Babruvahana, excited on meeting his father, falls at his feet offering his whole kingdom. Arjuna appalled at Babru's behaviour speaks harsh words. Babru needing no further provocation challengs the might of Pandava army . Vrishketu prevents Arjuna from ridiing out to battle first and instead offers to go. Arjuna meanwhile has seen ill omens and fears his death is imminent. He suggests that Vrish should return to Hastinapur. Vrish scoffs at his uncle's suggestion and prepares to battle. However Karna's son is no match for Arjuna's son and is slain in battle. 

Arjuna, both incensed and grieved, battles Babru where he is also killed. 

After the initial lamentations by the trio of Babru , Uloopi and Chitrangada, Uloopi urges Babru to fetch the Naagmani from the snake world to revive Arjun

But Babru has to face a lot of opposition in the snake world (incidentally, the king of snakes is  also known as Dritarashtra). Babru crushes the snakes and forces them to hand him the naagmani.

He  resurfaces in Manipur with the precious mani in hand- only to find that someone had stolen the head from Arjuna's body. He breaks down sobbing.

Meanwhile in Hastinapur, Kunti has been having vague dreams about Arjuna and she mentally summons Krishna . She confides her worst fears to Krishna and they all set off towards Manipur.

On seeing the sorry state of afairs in Manipur, Krishna takes a oath and by the strength of his deeds, forces Arjuna's head to reappear. He then revives Vrishketu first and then Arjuna.