"torturing" terrorists/POW’s

Aparna_BD thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Hi Debators i was wondering what is your opinion on use of torture on Terrorist to derive important information and list of group members , the next action plan etc , also on POW's !!

Torture was practised by primitive people , The Catholic Church , in ancient China, Japan, Germany,Israel .

Its still being used in many countries on the prisoners .

There have been changing meaning of torture too . While
~thumbscrews ,
~ red hot pokers ,~
~electric shocks ,
~beating with rubber strips are not being considered "torture" any more .

These horrific acts are no longer considered torture under the new definition since they don't rise "to the level of death, organ failure, or the permanent impairment of a significant body function.""

What is your opinion should torture be used ???? Do Terrorist deserve to be treated humanely ???????????? Or does it mean we are stooping to their level ?????
Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shriman thumbnail

As an American who believes in humane treatment, I think that it is vital for this nation not to use terror antics in order to keep its image abroad.

Plus, by torturing, you are damaging another human, which is morally reprehensible.

I think that overall, torture should not be allowed, however, at some instances, when there is a terror attack that is imminent and the person might know it and if it is possible to get important info from the person, torture should be used, because by giving him torture, you are saving 100 lives.

Which one is higher? You make the decision

Edited by shriman - 18 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: shriman

As an American who believes in humane treatment, I think that it is vital for this nation not to use terror antics in order to keep its image abroad.

Plus, by torturing, you are damaging another human, which is morally reprehensible.

I think that overall, torture should not be allowed, however, at some instances, when there is a terror attack that is imminent and the person might know it and if it is possible to get important info from the person, torture should be used, because by giving him torture, you are saving 100 lives.

Which one is higher? You make the decision

So you are saying in extreme cases its is acceptable ?
shriman thumbnail
yes... at some level... in order to save 100's of lives... it can be vital to torture... even though I am against this entire torture issue... I think it should be banned
sweet freedom thumbnail
i dont think its right, i mean, yes! there terrorists, but still...i think its totally wrong
sweet freedom thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

~thumbscrews ,
~ red hot pokers ,~
~electric shocks ,
~beating with rubber strips are not being considered "torture" any more .

i think they r torture, ouch!

Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: goth princess

i think they r torture, ouch!

i Know ouch .😳 But as for my opinion i am undecided in this subject . May be every one's views may help .
I mean lets say they had caught Al- Zuari( Osama's right hand guy)......he would have only listened to the tune of torture to reveal OBL's where abouts .
While i am a very soft person , who feels there should be  no pain in this world for anyone and can never 100% justify torture.