CID

Happy Navratri Festival

NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago
Happy Navratri to all.

Navratri is a very important Hindu festival celebrated in India, which is devoted to Goddess Durga. The festival is celebrated with great reverence and faith across the country. It stretches over a period of nine days, with each of the nine days being dedicated to one of the nine forms of the Goddess. Talking about the history of Navratri festival, it can be explained through the stories mentioned in the Hindu scriptures. The history of this festival varies from region to region. Here is how the different parts of India describe this festival.
North India 
The legend in North India goes that Mahishasura, the mighty demon, worshipped Lord Shiva and obtained the power of eternity. Soon, he started killing and harassing innocent people and set out to win all the three lokas. The gods in swargaloka appealed to Lord Shiva, to find a way to get rid of the demon. To protect the world from the atrocities of Mahishasura, the Trinity of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva united their powers and created a divine female warrior, known as Goddess Durga. Mahishasura, when he saw the divine beauty of Goddess Durga, got mesmerized. 

So fascinated was Mahishasura by Goddess Durga's beauty that he approached her with the intention of marriage. The goddess agreed to marry him, but put forth a condition - Mahishasura would have to win over her in a battle. Mahishasura, proud as he was, agreed immediately! The battle continued for 9 nights and at the end of the ninth night, Goddess Durga beheaded Mahishasura. The nine nights came to be known as Navratri, while the tenth day was called Vijayadashmi, the tenth day that brought the triumph of good over evil. 

Eastern Belief 
As per the legend prevalent in East India, Daksha, the king of the Himalayas, had a beautiful and virtuous daughter called Uma. She wished to marry Lord Shiva, since her childhood. In order to win over the Lord, she worshipped him and managed to please him as well. When Shiva finally came to marry her, the tiger-skin clad groom displeased Daksha and he broke off all the relationships with his daughter and son-in-law. One fine day, Daksha organized a yagna, but did not invite Lord Shiva for the same. 

Uma got so angry at her father's rude behavior, towards her husband, that she decided to end her life by jumping into the agnikund of the yagna, where she was united with eternity (since then, she came to be known as Sati). However, she took re-birth and again won Shiva as her groom and peace was restored. It is believed that since then, Uma comes every year with Ganesh, Kartik, Saraswati and Laxmi and two of her best friends or 'sakhis', called Jaya and Bijaya, to visit her parent's home during Navratri. 

Another Legend - Ram and Ravana
Yet another legend of Navratri relates to the Hindu epic Ramayana. It goes that Lord Rama worshipped Goddess Durga in nine aspects, for nine days, in order to gather the strength and power to kill Ravana. He wanted to release Sita from the clutches of powerful demon king Ravana, who had abducted her. Those nine nights became to be known as Navratri and the tenth day, on which Lord Rama killed Ravana, came to be called Vijayadashmi or Dusshera, signifying Rama's (good) triumph over Ravana (evil). 

Lakshmi ka Hath ho,

Saraswati ka Sath ho,

Ganesh ka niwas ho,
 aur maa durga ke ashirwad se

Aapke jeevan mai prakash hi prakash ho….

Happy Navratri to everyone

Edited by NandiniPS - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Twinkles- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
May you all celebrate the joyous nine nights to the fullest ... wish you all a Happy Navratri ...!!😃

Edited by twinklelovesCID - 12 years ago
visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Happy Navratri to all.

Edit...when I saw it, the spelling was Nsvratri. Now it is fine.
Edited by visrom - 12 years ago
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Edit: Thats fineEdited by NandiniPS - 12 years ago
-Twinkles- thumbnail
nothing Nanda ... by mistake ur finger might have tapped on " s " key while u were about to hit its neighbour " a " ...  

so its spelled as " Nsvratri " instead of " Navratri " 
Bhavanab thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Arre spelling chodo ...

Wishing everyone a Happy Navratra Season !!! One I rather wait for ... love puja season all over with Durga Puja Pandals having exquisitely carved Durga idols .. all around ... every Pandal tries to be better than the other making each one a worth watchingn one !!! Along with that cute girls dressed up very nicely holding their gifts and walking around ... and then Daniya nights or Garba festival ... (I'll try not to miss them this time ulike the way I do every time !! ) ... This is one festival celebrated in a lovely manner here in Delhi !!! One special Dish by mom every day 😛 ... in total I so wait for the Navratras !!
visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I love this festival, but no celebration in my family as a relative had passed away early this year. 😒
-Twinkles- thumbnail
You know what's the first thing I do during this festival ...

I bring out all the phone dairies , containing of old friends / new friends contact numbers to forward Navratri wishes ... 😛  we discussing about shopping stuffs ... greeting cards and gifts ...

Like the festival spirit glittering around the city , especially during the eve time ðŸ˜ƒ

Bhavanab thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Last year we too couldn't celebrate because of that reason 😒...

surprisingly every year I make plans to attend the Dandiya festival and it gets cancelled ,... Till now I've attended Dandiya Festival only once that too 6-7 years back 😆 ... and this year I've got no company ... as our whole group has dispersed over various cities ... and during the first few days of Navratras I might not be in Delhi !! But I'll try get hold of someone and go for Dandiya festival soon !!!
shreela thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Happy Navratri to all!😃

Edited by shreela - 12 years ago