s**twalk: A Self Defeated Movement?

leeseunggilove thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
" when we speak we are afraid our words would go unheard,
But when we are silent,we are still afraid. So it is better that we speak." - Audre Lorde

These words immortalised by Lorde, immediately make us realise that we live in a society that teaches DONT GET RAPED..rather than DONT RAPE. Here arrived a globally talked about movement that attacked at every eyeing male regarding a very contentious and serious breach of bodily,mental and emotional privacy.

s**twalk – in its slick branding – runs the risk of facilitating the dominant discourse of 'liberated' women as only those women wearing mini-skirts and high heels in/on their way to professional jobs. In reality, capitalism mediates the feminist faade of choice by creating an entire industry that commodifies women's sexuality and links a woman's self-esteem and self-worth to fashion and beauty. s**twalk itself consistently refuses any connection to feminism and fixates solely around liberal questions of individual choice – the palatable "I can wear what I want" feminism that is intentionally devoid of an analysis of power dynamics.

We recently witnessed the s**tWalk movement enter the still traditional Indian fold.There were some raised eyebrows over the use of the term s**t..and some were simply dumbfounded( in a good way 😛) over the bold step to do something about sexual attacks..

My Question to all of you is DO you think that s**twalk is a self defeated movement? also dp u agree with the term s**t for women.

would love participation 😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EMERSONisanASS thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
i don't agree with the term... these words have been used my men... for women..like in this category... India is a male dominated country... women has to bear  a lot in her sphere of life... but ...in us S**ts have  given rights...
 then y not here...🤔
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I'd like you to illuminate me, there, Daanav. For, I don't exactly understand 'self defeated' for some reason. 😳

And well, if I am asked, I don't exactly believe in revolutions. So, while 'not being raped' is a phrase to caution women, 'not raping' in itself glides over all parameters of absurdities. I do not believe in the righteousness of people, let alone just men. Most men are undoubtedly the cheapest of swines and I mean no offense to those who think they are better than that. The point is that everybody contracts and fits into a shell, never to be seen while something such as a protest is on in favor of something so 'explicit' happens.

It ain't just women who can be associated with s**t, the term. Men out there, they run their places like that too. However, people act as if there exists no such thing and then, as we know, the matter about women being s**ts is made use of when you wanna abuse somebody, any random gal you wish to cuss. It is some women's profession and I believe that respecting what she does in not an obligation but when we live in a 'society', we should at least learn not to criticize because the first ever thing that a society teaches us in reality is to mind our own businesses. Also, I have for long found 'I can wear what pleases me' very appealing, but somehow I'd be smarter not to wear what I might like to because I don't get out of my parents' house to entertain men and women commenting on the color of my pants and the size of my upper body. 🤓

And as for women being called s**ts, let us just say, it should not just be restrained to the female lot. But then, if I go to school, I should not find being called a school gal offensive. Yeah, that'd be all. :) 

blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
First of all...the name of the movement is stupid...it doesn't serve any purpose...

Secondly...I absolutely hate these Mahila mukti morcha types of things...I hate the reservation that we have for women...by doing these kinds of things...the women themselves prove that they are not equal to men...

The pigs who rape or ogle at women...do u think that they would be inspired by these kinds of rallies not to do so...I don't think so...on the other hand they must be having a jolly good time ogling at the scantily clad women at these rallies...arre bhai..judo/karate seekho...aur apni raksha khud karna seekho...
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

The s**t walk was first organized on account of a Canadian police officer who made the statement that if women did not want to get raped, they should not dress like s**ts. It is one thing for a frat boy or a layperson to speak in this manner. However, for an officer of the law to make this statement was rude and derogatory. An officer of the law should know that according to the law rape is a matter of age and consent, not who the person is or what they wore.

It caught on across the world because this is a serious issue. In many instances genuine rape cases were not investigated or charged because police or lawyers deemed that the woman brought it on herself because of what she wore. Many people firmly believe in the notion that if a woman does not meet their norms of modesty, she is asking for and deserves to be raped or molested.

The s**t walk basically draws attention to a these  issues. Firstly, a s**t is a derogatory and disrespectful term. People, especially people in authority with responsibility should not be callously referring to anyone as a s**t because she wore a dress that may be deemed by some as provocative. Secondly, there is absolutely no excuse for rape. None at all. Especially an excuse as flimsy as the other person's clothing. Any physical intimacy should be 100% consent driven no matter what.

Women in this movement are not claiming to be s**ts and that its ok to be a s**t. They are re-appropriating the term because its being thrown callously. It is like how gay people embraced queer, even though people used it in a derogatory way and tried to change the meaning. Or environmentalists embracing the term treehugger, even though people throw it as an insult.

That being said, the movement is questionable. It might be too aggressive and over the top feminist for many people. The name itself can draw incorrect attention and response.  It draws attention to a bunch of women asserting their sexuality and freedom, and the real issues are ignored. Social change needs to be done slowly giving people a chance to digest why it is important and necessary. We cant expect people to accept notions overnight. Especially in India where the social culture and perception of women is very different. The culture in USA and Canada is different and an aggressive movement can drive a point. I'm not sure if we can just take something that started in the west and expect it to work in India. Our culture is different and we need to address our culture and people in different ways.

And yes we can debate on appropriate attire for women. There are dresses which women wear in the west that I don't like and probably would never wear. They do wear clothes that make go W*F is she wearing. We can probably discuss if it is moral for women to do that, or even wonder the fashion culture, peer pressure and other aspects that make women wear such things and if it is acceptable. However, they still are human beings with feelings and nice people. You cant just look at a dress and label them s**t or wh**e. And most importantly, you cant just assume they are begging to be raped because of what they wore. That is one thing I feel strongly about.

cyrax thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Simple, it takes two hands to clap. the security should be more vigilant, the women should be less scantily clad. Typical case of two parties blaming each other, instead of shutting up and doing their effing role. Proof that the human race is the most egotistical thickheaded one ever. 
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
 I just wanna say ...a s**t is simply a woman with the morals of a man...
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Ah interesting. so this is all about s**ts.
Sorry was a bit slow to catch as it is not prevalent where I live.
Yes proper attire is recommended for both men and women in public.

leeseunggilove thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: RobseSSedSonu

i don't agree with the term... these words have been used my men... for women..like in this category... India is a male dominated country... women has to bear  a lot in her sphere of life... but ...in us S**ts have  given rights...

then y not here...🤔

i agree with u der di..that its a by product of the male psyche who has tainted a women's character by giving such disrespectful terms..
women have always borne d brunt if everything ranging from marital issues to what not

but the term in context of the walk, i feel the term s**t is appropriate..if u brand us as a s**t then why cringe at d sound of it when we protest with the same name?
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
A woman does not deserve to be discriminated on account of the clothes she wears and agreed taht she has a right to wear whatever she pleases but  does it make sense to wear something which you know would cause a reaction you wouldnt like! Rather than wishing everyone out there to change their behaviour or outlook  wouldnt it be more pragmatic to take a few precautions yourself by wearing something more appropriate to the place and occassion, that is if you do not intend to attract any unwelcome attention in the first place! I guess its a different ball game altogether  if you are all out to grab eyeballs.

The s**t walk in delhi was peaceful btw, and did not  raise too many eyebrows. It was well attended by both girls and guys and I found most of them quite decently dressed .