Naina Bhardwaj - a Fan Fiction -1

walquest2000 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Read my Fan Fiction.   If you like it, I shall continue with more.

To read the full story, click on the links: Previous Chapter and Next Chapter.
The Story will be regularly updated, and new chapters added. - walquest2000

Chapter 1

Next Chapter

Siliguri, situated in Darjeeling district, is the largest city.  it has been called "The Gateway of North East India". Siliguri is a unique city, has  as its neighbour, Jalpaiguri district.

New Jalpaiguri is a major railway junction linking Siliguri and North Eastern India to major Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Pune, Guwahati, Bangalore, Chennai.   It is also a major junction for supplies and goods for the state of Sikkim.    The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, nicknamed the "Toy Train", is a 2 ft  (610 mm) narrow gauge railway from New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling.     It was built between 1879 and 1881 and is about 86 kilometers (53 mi) long.

Extensive tea plantations are found in this region, and tea growers have developed distinctive hybrids of black tea and created new fermenting techniques. The resultant distinctive Darjeeling tea is internationally recognized and ranks among the most popular of the black teas.

Way back in 1920, one Hari Prasad Bhardwaj, who was born in a farming family in Haryana, on 12th June, 1890, had moved from the foothills of Haryana in search of new opportunities, and reached the tea estates of Dr. Campbell, a civil surgeon of the Indian Medical Service. Campbell was transferred to Darjeeling in 1839 and used seeds from China to begin experimental tea planting, a practice that he and others continued during the 1840s.    At first Hari   Prasad, a young man then aged 30, who had married five years earlier in 1915, to a village Belle,  named Saraswati Singh, worked as a supervisor, in one of the tea  estates, run by an Englishman and being a keen enthusiast, learnt the art of planting and nurturing the tea plants.

Soon, as a middle aged man, and when he had gained enough experience, he ventured into applying for a grant to start his own estate, and for a nominal sum of land rent, was granted a large portion of a hill, in the region, where with the help of workers, he started his own Bhardwaj Tea Estate.    His young son, Gopal Krishna Bardhwaj, was born on 7th July, 1918 and  was sent in 1935 by the father to England for higher studies, and he specialized in agricultural sciences, and when he came to Siliguri, he joined his father, and expanded his business.   On coming back to India, after two years, Gopal married a young girl from Siliguri, in 1938,    Radha Battacharya, born in 1938, was educated by the Christian Mission, and was enlightened and broad minded, and became a wonderful companion of Gopal.    Gopal, and Radha, his wife lived happily on the estate, and as their father was getting old, they attended to all his needs, and he lived the later part of his life, seeing how his son, had taken his dreams to a higher level.   Hari Prasad had two more children after Gopal.  Vikram was born on 18th December, 1920 and Shanti, a girl, who was born on 23rd April, 1922.

On  28th January, 1940 the eldest child of Gopal was born, and they named him Diwakar.    Diwakar, was a smart boy, and had many qualities of his mother, and one such quality was a tender love for those who had no one to care for them.   As a small school boy, his parents sent him to a good school, where he was taught such things like etiquette, morals, and a high respect for the belief of his ancestors.     He had two siblings, one boy and the other a girl.   the boy was Mohan, born on 25th August, 1942 and married Sita Dave, a girl from Maharashtra, on 18th October, 1947.      Their sister Parvati,  was born on 14th September 1945.

When Diwakar grew and finished his studies, he joined the Indian Railways, and was stationed near Sikkim.    His parents found a nice girl, whom he married on  15th August 1968 and he settled down with her in the foothills of Sikkim, in the spacious house built by his grandfather.    The sprawling hills with its verdant greenery, and flowers in spring, were a fitting surrounding for young Diwakar, and his new bride Anjali.   Diwakar and Anjali were unfortunate, that they could not have children of their own, due to some medical problems with Anjali.    She was well educated, and helped in the social services in the town, and was active in various committees.    Their maid in the house looked after the household chores, when the lady of the house was away on her missions.

Around 1970, Diwakar was transferred to Mumbai, and lived in the Railway Quarters for officers.   He used to take care of the railways between Mumbai and the neighboring hill stations.   On one such trip, he met a young Maharashtrian girl, named Supriya, in Pune, and she fell in love with Diwakar at first sight, and he too was touched by her innocent looks and behaviour.  This was a casual relationship, and he did not feel the need to tell Supriya that he was married, and neither was she clever enough to question that and as a young impressionable girl, who had found wings, with the modern trends in Pune, became more and more enamored by the young man.   Thus one day, in spite of his good intentions, Diwakar succumbed to his feelings and it ended up in the intimacy, which after some time, Supriya noticed that her periods were not coming and then her parents, being broad minded, did not force her to abort the child, but allowed her to carry to full term, and on a cold day on 3rd  December in 1978 she gave birth to a lovely baby girl, and they named her Naina.    She was brought into this world, by Supriya's  family doctor, who was her aunt.     Soon, her parents came to know that Diwakar could not marry Supriya, as he was already married, and they consulted a budding lawyer, one Mr. Joshi, who was just at the beginning of his career, and he suggested that Diwakar take the child.    By this time a year had elapsed, and Joshi, was also keen of getting Supriya for himself.    Diwakar agreed to pay Supriya a compensation and take the child and look after her, and keep it a secret so that Supriya could marry and the matter was resolved within the family.    Soon Joshi started blackmailing Supriya, and she being a timid girl, and fearful of Joshi, spilling the beans, told him that provided he never brought this topic again, and did not mention anything about Darjeeling, she would agree to marry him.    With the money Diwakar had given Supriya, Joshi started his legal practice, and with his cunning ways, soon got a big clientele.   His special area was the underworld, who were land sharks, and he would black mail them, and tell them all sorts of false legal precedents, and they would succumb to him, and also grease his palms and thus he became known as a famous and successful lawyer.
Edited by walquest2000 - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DakshnaFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Walquest2000 too good πŸ‘... Please continue...😊
rechus thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Interesting.. Pls continue...
lucky.m thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
 Is this real story behind SSBN and naina's background.😲.??.I really felt that way while reading this fiction, superbπŸ‘ and great in terms of technicality..Each and every word u wrote seems to be true not any fiction.πŸ‘πŸΌ..gr8..pls continue..
walquest2000 thumbnail

Originally posted by: lucky.m

Is this real story behind SSBN and naina's background.😲.??.I really felt that way while reading this fiction, superbπŸ‘ and great in terms of technicality..Each and every word u wrote seems to be true not any fiction.πŸ‘πŸΌ..gr8..pls continue..

Your initial disappointment with lack of response to FF, prompted me to start writing a new series of my own.   This is my first attempt at writing a story.    Desdemona, also asked me to write some novel, and perhaps I will be able to reflect the longing expressed in this forum, by many viewers.   Tthis is a fiction, and I draw inspiration from the internet, where we find knowledge of different sorts.   I researched the North East, and got some clues, and I started building from there.   Then I coined my own story, of the families and how we all have migrated from one place to another, and our own families are a testimony of the same.   Hope I will be able to fulfill this dream and attempt in a small way to bridge the divide.
Spot thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thank you for the very interesting "back story" to Naina's life
storytellerSSBN thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I agree with lucky that it is really  realitic great description as in your update 
sitakshi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hi guys i am new to this forum. but i read all the ff.they are all interesting.but sorry to intervene is it 1978 or 1988.if it is1978 then naina would be 33 by now?
walquest2000 thumbnail

Originally posted by: sitakshi

hi guys i am new to this forum. but i read all the ff.they are all interesting.but sorry to intervene is it 1978 or 1988.if it is1978 then naina would be 33 by now?

The story, presumes that the current date is the year 2000.    In this year Naina is supposed to be around 22 years old..   Thank you for your interest.   I am not a professional writer, and this is my first attempt.  But what you have said, gives me an insight into the chronology.  
walquest2000 thumbnail
Dear friends,

Thank you for your support.   I have added Chapter Four to the story.   You will find it at this link:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/1777795

Walter.