MG[FF]Maan Proposes Geet Disposes[Thread1/Note149] - Page 82

Posted: 12 years ago
Chapter 11
Together Them

(September 21, 1980...)
(Handa Haveli...)

Nazaare ne bhi kaam kiya waan naqaab ka
Masti se har nigaah tere rukh par bikhar gayi (Ghalib)
[See what the sight of your unveiling has done
Every intoxicated glance came to rest on your face and withered away] (Ghalib)

Maan loved poetry and could quote shayars and poets from memory. He had always appreciated the beauty of the words that was put forth. But for the first time he felt he could understand the depth in them.

Mohinder Lal looked up at Kakku as she came and stood beside him. He held her hand and gave her a smile that held all his love for her. He had a sudden epiphany that today would be a day monumental for both the families. A new start. A new relationship. Maybe that was the reason he had felt it necessary to have Daman and Nandini along with him.

He was already very happy to know a man like Chaudhary Ajaipal Singh Khurana and was somehow convinved that Maan would be a good son-in-law. But today seeing him in person, Mohinder felt glad that he agreed for this match to go through. The young man was someone worth admiring. There was only one more matter he needed to discuss. And then everything would be fine.

His eyes shone with pride as he introduced his kakku, "Chaudhary ji, she is my pride, my Geet."

Her head was dipped low, eyes cast down. He was trying to decipher her. For all her soft appearance, there was a hint of fortitude in her stance. For all the fairness she possessed on surface, there was a depth that indicated a positive character. She came across as someone not too firm in resolve yet not someone who would submit easily. These observations did not merely come forth from a man feeling pulled by the allure of a woman. Even if it started so, the trained officer in him took over with an ease. Objectivity was a constant companion of Maan.

And the same objevtivity was making him realize that he was lucky that she had not glanced at him till now. Or he would have been caught staring at her. Maan knew he was staring. And it was rude to stare. And Jijaji will definitely catch him. He should move his eyes away. Right now. Right this instant. Before she looks up at him.

And suddenly it struck that he was yet to look at her eyes. Why wasn't she looking at him?

"Before any decision is made, it is important you should know of this. Because tomorrow things may become awkward if you find it out from someplace else," Mohinder addressed Ajaipal.

"Please feel free to share anything with us Chaudhary jee," Ajaipal assured.

"It's a simple matter for us. One that makes us proud of our eldest daughter infact," Mohinder began to explain, "Our son Lucky...is not our own." He looked at Lucky playing in Sameera's lap, "We have adopted him and with complete legal formalities. His real parents are Nandini and Daman."

Awkward silence had impreganated the room. The relevation took its time to settle in. Mohinder Lal went on to explain the reason why such a step was taken and wanted to know whether the Khuranas were still willing to go ahead with this alliance.

Savitri looked at Maan to know his views about this disclosure.

Maan did not undersatnd what his mother wanted him to say. How was this information detrimental to the match? How does it make any difference. In fact the reason that lead for Nandini ji to give away Lucky to her parents was nothing less than praiseworthy. Such dedication to parents even after marriage was not easy for girls to fulfill. And for Daman ji to support her spoke greatly for the man he was. So why was he being asked for approval?

He looked at his father and nodded a yes to him.

Ajaipal feeling proud of his son's decision, smiled at Mohinder Lal and spoke, "Chaudhary jee, for us Lucky is your son. This makes no differnce in our eyes."

She was sitting still throughout, but when her father had started this discussion Geet froze. Waiting to see how these people would reply. Hearing Khurana ji's positive reply her eyes shot up to where he was sitting. And her eyes held nothing but gratitude and respect for the old man.

"Chaudhary jee," Ajaipal glanced at Savitri as he leaned forward to take Mohinder Lal's hand in his, "saade walon rishta pakka samjho."

She would look at my father but not at me.

Infact she would look everywhere but him.

His mother was beaming ever since Ajaipal had officially given the assent. She gestured Geet to come and sit beside her and kissed her forehead in adoration. She now sat on one side of Savitri with Maan on the other.

Wasn't she least bit curious? This day would be a landmark in her life too. Shouldn't it affect a person when they are about to join their life with another? I hope it does affect her. That she isn't one of the majority who have resigned to live their lives as dictated by men in her life with no hopes and expectations of their own. Because if Maan was getting married, he was sure he wanted a partner in every sense of the word.

There was a general discussion going around between his father and Mohinder ji. He vaguely registred his father denying any need for dowry, his mother insisting that she wants only Geet nothing else, Mohinder ji thanking them but persistent to gift his daughter all that he has made for her. But that was merely because he was trained to be that observant. Honestly admitting, all his faculties were tuned in to whether she would look at him or not.

His mental musings was interrupted as he heard Mohinder ji speaking in a grave tone once again.

"I have one request from you all, in fact two if Maan ji agrees."

"Bejhijak kaho Mohinder ji," Ajaipal prompted.

"Geet is studying in second year. If you could wait till she completes her graduation for the marriage to take place I shall be very grateful. It will also give me time to find suitable alliances for my elder two daughters. She is anyways only nineteen. She is still young to comprehend what marriage means and the responsibilities it brings forth. This period of wait will give her time to understand this new chapter in her life," he looked at Maan while saying this, who seemed kind of dazed. "My other request is more of a desire of mine. I always wished to see my daughters well-educated and qualified enough to be independent. They may not need to work after marriage but it is always a security for a father to see that his daughter will be able to take care of herself in the worst of conditions. Therefore I request you puttar ji," Mohinder pleaded to Maan, "if you will allow Geet to continue higher studies after marriage. You will make this old man very happy if you agree to my requests."

Nineteen! Geet was just nineteen. What was his mother thinking? What was I thinking? I should have enquired about this from the very beginning. The girl is five years younger than me. And just nineteen. Nineteen. How can they expect her to get married and take responsibility of a bahu. That too of a joint family like theirs. He sat lost in his thoughts as every expectant eye was resting on him. And for the first time in the whole evening even Geet now sat with a her eyes cast sideways, waiting for his reaction.

"No."

And for a second the room was filled with dread.

"Geet will not continue her studies after marriage. She will complete her studies and only then we will take this relationship forward. It will not be fair for her to be saddled with responsibilities of a daughter-in-law or of a wife and add strain in path to pursue her dreams. And it is certainly not fair that I, a stranger, takes a place of priority in her life when her father has dedicated all his life to her upbringing and wellness." He folded his hands towards Mohinder Lal and assured, "Only after she honors your wishes and fulfill her duty as a daughter, I will take her to my home as my wife."

Had Maan not be so engaged in assuring Mohinder ji, he would have noticed the look of disbelief that Geet held in her eyes while looking at him.

Savitri wasn't happy with Maan's decision. But this was not a place to show her displeasure. She saw no reason why to wait for so long when Geet could have easily studied after marriage. She wasn't against Geet studying at all. But she was truthful to admit that she selfishly wanted Geet to becoms her bahu as soon as possible. However, Maan had given his word and their was nothing else they could do now.

Except...

She silently took her husband's approval and fished in her purse. As she found it she spoke to Mohinder Lal, "Chaudhary jee, now that every other thing has been discussed and Maan has given his decision we would like to present shagun to your Geet and make her our Geet from this day forth."

Maan understood that his mother was hinting at the thakka to take place now.

They were now ready to leave. The ceremony took place amidst a festive mood. Mohinder presented Maan with a silver coin as shagun and Savitri, to Maan's surprise brought forth a kangan that belonged to his Dadi to present to Geet. Ajaipal Singh Khurana proudly called Mohinder Lal Handa as samdhi ji and hugged him like a brother. And Mohinder Lal was too overwhelmed to say anything at all. Later, in true Punjabi fashion, food was served. And now having the right to officially call Maan as her son-in-law Rano lavished all her attention to feed Maan. And Maan hated attention of any kind. But he did not have the heart to stop her at all.

"Auntyji," Maan hesitantly called out to Rano after the meal got over, "umm...I wanted to wash my hands?"

"Haan puttar, ek minute." Rano called out to Geet who had later stood up and was sitting in a corner with her sisters, "Geet, iderr aa. Maanji nu wash-basin tak le jaa."

She nodded her head and led the way to the wash-basin in the gallery.

And she had still not looked at him.

All he could see was her eyelashes that shielded her eyes. She had such long eyelashes. Maan was sure he had never seen such long, delicate eyelashes before. Not that he has ever noticed the eyelashes of a woman. But he was sure that had he ever come across such a feature he surely would have noticed. Why wouldn't she raise her eyes upto him?

Maan wondered if he should say something. Introduce himself maybe. But she already knows my name, my family. What does one do in such a situation?

He wiped his hands with the towel she held out and she started to turn back.

"Geet..."

She stilled mid-way and replied with her back facing him, "Jee."

"Umm...are you...I mean all this...uhh...are you fine with this?"

"Does it matter?"

"It definitely should."

She turned back and glared at him, "I wish it would." Saying so she ran away to her room, leaving behind a stumped and amused Maan.

Wadhayian jee...munda and kudi are engaged.πŸ˜†
This must be the quickest I ever updated! Within two daysπŸ˜›
So to balance it out, next update will be next week😈 Lolz. No, actually my Dad is coming home on leave and I like devoting all my time to him, hence I will update only after he leaves on sunday :)

Edited by jazzerette - 12 years ago
Rez!!
**Edit
I read it again!πŸ˜†
See i told you i would read it over and over again. Each time i read this, I start liking the characters a bit more than what i used to.
I don't know what to say. I am as amused as Maan by the end of the update by Geet's reaction. More about this later. Let's go sequentially.
First things first..
"Chaudhary ji, she is my pride, my Geet."
This introduction.. I was grinning.
What else does a daughter need more than that? What else could a father say more than that? Increased my respect towards Mohinder Ji more.
Maan observing her keenly showed his objectivity. Being an army officer, it's his nature and as far as i know there is someone else I knew who's a very keen observant.πŸ˜†
Adopting Lucky was something i didn't expect. No matter what the reasons were, I have to agree Nandini Ji is one great woman with an excellent life partner Daman Ji. Such a dedication to parents after marriage and at that period of time was praise worthy.
Maan did not undersatnd what his mother wanted him to say. How was this information detrimental to the match? How does it make any difference. In fact the reason that lead for Nandini ji to give away Lucky to her parents was nothing less than praiseworthy. Such dedication to parents even after marriage was not easy for girls to fulfill. And for Daman ji to support her spoke greatly for the man he was. So why was he being asked for approval?

He looked at his father and nodded a yes to him.

I like Maan's musings.πŸ˜†
He is a man of high ideals and I respect him for that but when comes to his mother, he sulks like a kid which is all the more adorableπŸ˜†
Mohinder Ji's two wishes when made, I was as curious as everybody present there and Maan's reply made me stop breathing. But then the explanation he gave made me slap grin again. Seriously man! What was he made of? Just tell me..
I don't hate Savitri Ji as i already said. Her ideologies may differ from that of our own but we can't deny the fact that she was different compared to women at that period. I mean can you find someone declaring love openly for the soon-to-be daughter-in-law? No. We can't. Her thinking may be typical but i still like her especially for loving Geet.
You know I am in Team Geet through and through.πŸ˜†
So finally they are engaged and i was jumping literally.
But the awesome part of the update was definitely their first conversation.

"Geet..."

She stilled mid-way and replied with her back facing him, "Jee."

"Umm...are you...I mean all this...uhh...are you fine with this?"

"Does it matter?"

"It definitely should."

She turned back and glared at him, "I wish it would." Saying so she ran away to her room, leaving behind a stumped and amused Maan.

I know Geet's feelings but i was still amused that she actually spoke her mind in front of him. I love her moreπŸ˜†

Edited by --Shika-- - 12 years ago

Now Maan has proved himself to be a true MAN... letting the girl finish her studies and wait till that time for her is a VERY BIG thing back in 1980... My respect for him has increased 10 folds... Not only that, he is also concerned about Geet's wish... That is also something ONLY a few may be 1 in a lakh men would have in their mind!

I am sure Geet will fall for himπŸ˜‰!

Kudos to Maan! He truely deserves to be the Son-in-law of Mohinder Ji!😊

Cute update Jazi!
Update when possible i know it will take sometime! but will wait pateiently! love you!πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by Preethi-Premi - 12 years ago
😈

wo hooo behna,,,finally sare updates read kar liyeπŸ˜†,,shows tongue to shikha , preet n specially kesha n others gleamersπŸ˜†...

achha,,why did nadini give her son to her parents...but i know it wasn;t easy task for her, but she did, n really appreciate nado for that.  its good that mr mohindar lal didn;t hide anything from khurans about his family (this shows that he is very pure by heart) n i really liked when khurana's said , for them lucky is ur son n it won;t make any diff to them n this maan is so humble n very mature , he allowed geet to complete her studies first n then marriage. studies really matters for girl, whether u r doing job or not it makes u a  better person.  n may b this one yr gap will make maan a real majnu🀣 or waise bhi geet k sudden dhamake waley response se already shurat ho gyi haiπŸ˜†

Edited by SlovHanda - 12 years ago
Loved it loadz...!!
so the alliance is approved...
n maan cud not stop staring at her...but geet din look up at him even once...
but at the end she did...n she ran away after maan had asked her if she was ok with the marriage...!!
looking forward to how she will accept n how they both will fall in love..me is eager to c dat...😍
loved the update..!!
cont soon..!!

Edited by bansipatel - 12 years ago
Wonderful update...
cntnue soon,.:)
awesome dear loved it so maaneet are engaged
wow...engagement done...Maan is a man of solid character...I was a little surprised that Savitri agree for the wait...as that will be minimum 3 yrs considering a simple graduationa nd 2 yr post grad.

But last two lines were profound for me...he asked (a big deal in those times)

she said her mind (another big deal)

I wonder if they will get a chance to talk and clear thier minds

one thing is for sure. Maan wished a life partner in true sense. Not somebody who just submits. Well his wish has been fulfilled...Geet is definately his life partner
apko v Wadhayian...πŸ₯³

what will maan do now after hearing geet's reply?
Res.😈

EDIT:

When Maan was thinking about why SHE isnt looking at him... All I was thinking Oh! Maan Babu she has seen you and you really dont want to know what was the reaction... But just to refresh memories...
"Yeh munda!! Aur meri Di layi!!" She looked at it disdainfully, placing the photograph in the cupboard and turned away making a sour face. "Humpphh!!"🀣🀣🀣
Awww the first interaction... Dont worry Maan it was more geography exam's tension n snapping, future interactions will be better...πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
And Daman and Nandini... its not easy to give your first born even if you are giving him to your parents and Daman agreed to this... my respect for the couple has increased ten folds.  πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Fab. update.. Saali ji.. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Edited by Devil-By-Birth - 12 years ago